Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 01-15-2014, 11:56 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wonder if we draft a TE for his system. Amaro or the other guy? Obviously we have OL needs, but this is interesting stuff.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:28 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I will say this: It's on Eli now. We've excused Eli for his high INT totals forever bc of the system he ran. And rightfully so, the offense we ran results in INTs, we all know this.

But now, that's no longer an excuse. If Eli has 20+ picks this season you have no one to blame but him. I don't want to hear it. It's time to see a 30 and 10 season out of him. That's what this offense can achieve and I want to see Eli achieve it.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:35 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well if we don't fix the OL we don't know what can be achieved.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:37 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
I wonder if we draft a TE for his system. Amaro or the other guy? Obviously we have OL needs, but this is interesting stuff.
Your are right it is very interesting. I think we will look at TE at some point. Both Amaro and Ebron voykd be in the mix.

I still think we look to free agency initially, two guys seem realistic options Jake Ballard and Fred Davis
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:40 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Well if we don't fix the OL we don't know what can be achieved.
That's a given. But assuming that we do fix it, there is no excuse. We can't blame the system anymore.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:56 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No we certainly can't. It would be awesome though if Eli came out and put up huge numbers which would justify all our complaining and give a kiss to the haters.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-15-2014, 02:07 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I will say this: It's on Eli now. We've excused Eli for his high INT totals forever bc of the system he ran. And rightfully so, the offense we ran results in INTs, we all know this.

But now, that's no longer an excuse. If Eli has 20+ picks this season you have no one to blame but him. I don't want to hear it. It's time to see a 30 and 10 season out of him. That's what this offense can achieve and I want to see Eli achieve it.
That's the beauty of it. I agree. I want to see now what happens. If I see WR go one way and ball go another than I know the system didn't change, or at least that part of it. If that goes away I think we will see a big difference.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:13 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
Your are right it is very interesting. I think we will look at TE at some point. Both Amaro and Ebron voykd be in the mix.

I still think we look to free agency initially, two guys seem realistic options Jake Ballard and Fred Davis
Slow Jake? No thanks. Davis could be interesting. Amaro is interesting. If Ebron is very athletic like V. Davis then I think he could be a big time weapon for us. I know we need OL, but man that would be a huge upgrade.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:25 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
Slow Jake? No thanks. Davis could be interesting. Amaro is interesting. If Ebron is very athletic like V. Davis then I think he could be a big time weapon for us. I know we need OL, but man that would be a huge upgrade.
I think Davis is interesting.

The other guy in the draft I want to see at wirkouts is seferian-jenkins

I need to look a little mire at receivibg tes
Old 01-15-2014, 02:27 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Interesting read

Quote:

Former Packers QB Graham Harrell to @SiriusXMNFL on how Ben McAdoo can help Eli Manning: "I think Ben's going to...... be tough on him," Harrell said on SiriusXM NFL Radio's Late Hits on Wednesday night. "He’s going to coach him hard. That’s one thing I really respected about him while he was there. He tried to coach everyone tough. That can be tough, especially with Aaron who’s had so much success, who is such a good player. Well, now (McAdoo) s walking into a place with another quarterback who’s obviously a proven great player, a guy that’s won a lot of games, won Super Bowls. But Ben’s the kind of guy that’s going to come in and demand a lot out of him, expect a lot out of him, expect a lot of preparation. ... I definitely think that’s going to help with turnovers and stuff like that, just the preparation side, the demand that Ben’s going to put on him. "And the Green Bay offense, or the offense that Ben’s going to bring to New York is going to be an offense that sets the quarterback up for success. ... I think he’s going to be good for Eli. I think Eli is a really good quarterback and can play in any offense, but I think Eli will be a great fit for Ben’s offense. I think it’s going to be a good match for each other. I think it can be set up for a fun year for the Giants." #NYG

Last edited by Big_Pete : 01-15-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:32 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I disagree a bit on this. Quite a bit actually. As GF mentioned, the OL still is a huge issue leading to INTs. Secondly, we have NO idea how McAdoo will be as a play caller. He has nothing to go off. What if he is forced to implement choice/option routes to appease Coughlin? Plus learning a new system will cause a lot of miscommuncation early on.

I'm not trying to make excuses for Eli but you're taking an EXTREMELY simplistic/ESPN type view on this. There a ton of factors that could lead to a higher rate of INTs. That said, I would certainly expect Eli to throw a lot less than 20, but to just expect him to go out and throw 30+ TDs is silly. Especially because Coughlin believes in balance so we won't be putting it up like Brady, Rodgers, and Peyton do. Reducing the potential for pretty stats.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:02 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
I disagree a bit on this. Quite a bit actually. As GF mentioned, the OL still is a huge issue leading to INTs. Secondly, we have NO idea how McAdoo will be as a play caller. He has nothing to go off. What if he is forced to implement choice/option routes to appease Coughlin? Plus learning a new system will cause a lot of miscommuncation early on.

I'm not trying to make excuses for Eli but you're taking an EXTREMELY simplistic/ESPN type view on this. There a ton of factors that could lead to a higher rate of INTs. That said, I would certainly expect Eli to throw a lot less than 20, but to just expect him to go out and throw 30+ TDs is silly. Especially because Coughlin believes in balance so we won't be putting it up like Brady, Rodgers, and Peyton do. Reducing the potential for pretty stats.

I don't think there will be anything 'just to appease Coughlin', it looks Tom has embraced change.

All we know at present is there will be changes and that Coughlin thinks that is a good thing.

Quote:
Ben McAdoo, the Giants new offensive coordinator, promises to run an "up-tempo, attacking style" offense.

And if that doesn't sound like the same system run by Kevin Gilbride, Tom Coughlin doesn't seem worried. In fact, he thinks that forcing everyone, including franchise quarterback Eli Manning, to learn a new system is a good thing.

“Here’s what I expect,” Coughlin said. “I think the players will respond to this. We’re going to try to compromise the system with what we have here. However, there will be change. And that change will be very positive and very well-received by our team and our players. And if our players are scrambling around to learn a new system – good. That’s another fire in their rear end.”

Change will include McAdoo in his first role as a playcaller. But Coughlin, who spent some time making the calls in Jacksonville, said he will assist the new offensive coordinator throughout the process.
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...s_offense.html
Old 01-15-2014, 03:09 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Here is an interesting artile on the Packers offensive line system. It may give hints to what we could expect with our offensive line.

Quote:
Packers' blocking schemes evolve

Green Bay — The evolution of Mike McCarthy's offensive system in Green Bay has led to an expanded running game that isn't just a zone scheme anymore.

Coaches and players alike seem excited about the gap scheme plays that have crept into the Packers' ready list of runs.

Opponents appear to be having some difficulty zeroing in on the more diverse scheme and, perhaps as a result, the Packers have run the ball better in the first quarter of the season than they have in a decade.

"Our base will always be the zone scheme, but we've been working on variations since spring," said offensive coordinator Tom Clements. "We had some successful plays last week man blocking rather than zone blocking. It does have its place."

When McCarthy arrived in 2006, he installed the zone scheme that he had learned from Alex Gibbs in Kansas City and offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski, who had learned from Gibbs in Atlanta.

Three or four years into his tenure, McCarthy began to add what he has referred to as gap or pattern runs. You'd see a guard pulling every now and again, but the sample size was so minimal it was impossible to evaluate.

As McCarthy moved Aaron Rodgers more and more into shotgun formation, the traditional two-back sets were used less often. From the shotgun, the Packers expanded their package of draw plays, too.

In the off-season, McCarthy instructed his staff to prepare more gap scheme plays. The high-water mark came Sunday against Detroit when the guards pulled four times and center Evan Dietrich-Smith twice, including one on the 67-yard run by Randall Cobb that broke the game open.

"What was great was we were hitting them with different schemes," tackle Don Barclay said. "Gap schemes, zone schemes, quick hitters. Did a variation of stuff. Outside zone, inside zone. We ran the power five to eight times."

In the zone scheme, linemen don't pull. Instead, they block an area, trying to create a wave that leaves ripples for the ball carrier to exploit.

On an inside zone, the center and guard usually double-team the one-technique defensive tackle before one leaves to block a linebacker. On an outside zone, there is at least one combination block on the play side and cut-blocking on the back side.

In the gap scheme, it's more man-on-man blocking with at least one or two angle blocks. There's some form of double team on the front side and a backside puller, usually a guard, to lead through the hole.

The Lions played a penetrating style of defense with the linemen shooting hard into an assigned gap. Over the years, the Packers have had their share of outside zone runs blown up when their linemen weren't able to execute difficult "reach" blocks against defenders aligned in favorable locations.

Now mixing zone with gap runs, the Packers have been less predictable. Rather than just fighting off cut blocks on the back side or "reach" blocks on the front side, the Lions found out they could get ear-holed by a down block, which in effect cuts the defense in half.

"It's a good change-up, especially when you're playing against a defensive front that looks to penetrate as much as these guys do," T.J. Lang said Sunday after the Packers rushed for 180 yards. "It's tough to reach block a guy that's firing straight at your head.

"If you can change it up, get a double-team on him or get a down block and go around, it makes them think about it. It does take them out of trying to penetrate because they have to try to read a down block or power scheme.

"When we do it well, it works."

Teams that feature the gap scheme generally have massive tackles and at least one base-blocking tight end, because blockers need to generate movement against defensive linemen.

In David Bakhtiari and Barclay, the Packers might have the smallest tackle tandem in the league. Matthew Mulligan was that type of tight end, but was released Aug. 31.

The athleticism of the Packers' tackles and tight ends make them more suited for the zone scheme's backside cutting and combo blocking.

Lang and Josh Sitton, the other veteran guard, fit either scheme because of their athletic ability and power. Dietrich-Smith probably is the fastest of the starters but also has the strength to muscle up for gap runs.

The gap scheme also can be good against more of a massive, read-and-react style front such as the Baltimore Ravens, the Packers' opponent Sunday at M&T Bank Stadium.

"If you have the right personnel, you can be very effective at that as well," said Jerry Fontenot, who coaches the tight ends. "The more you can throw at them, the better chances of success you'll have."

According to Clements, the off-season impetus to incorporate more of the gap scheme was based on an illegal practice by defenses. Since the umpire moved from behind the defensive line to behind the offensive line in 2010, offensive coaches have complained defensive linemen are holding more.

"It's hard to see — it's subtle," explained Clements. "But when you're double-teaming a lot of times they're not allowed to do it.

"Defensive linemen can grab an (offensive) lineman and he's not able to get off on the linebacker. So they have a free (tackler) in the hole.

"You have to combat that some way to prevent the linemen from holding on to you. One way to combat that is to man block, so he doesn't have a guy to hold on to."

The insertion of gap plays forces the ball carriers to make distinct adjustments in their style of running.

"In gap schemes there tends to be a targeted zone for a running back to hit," Fontenot said. "In zone schemes, we talk about stretching and cutting and giving the back option-hole running. He can hit it from front-side C gap to back-side B gap."

The patient, one-cut runningin the zone scheme and the no-dance, hit-the-hole-hard style for the gap scheme suit rookie Eddie Lacy, the featured back until James Starks returns.

"They had a good mix at Alabama," said Alex Van Pelt, who coaches the running backs. "He's run plenty of power, which we do out of a one-back and a two-back set."

Some coaches have been reluctant to try both schemes because of the necessary practice time.

The Packers feel comfortable with the gap scheme because of the time that they spent installing it in the off-season and training camp.

Not only are the Packers ranked fifth in rushing with a 141-yard average, they're second in yards per rush at 5.3. They've run 39.4% of the time, just beneath the NFL average of 40.2%.

"I see guys pushin', finishin', fightin'," Van Pelt said. "The runners are doing it and you see guys down the field cleaning piles.

"It's something we've emphasized this off-season. Gaining an edge in the run game. And it's getting there. We're doing a lot better."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...227471491.html
Old 01-15-2014, 03:13 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I think Coughlin's idea of a balanced offense may change a little this year.

Look at the Packers, they have a strong ground game.

1. They rank fifth in rushing with a 141-yard average

2. They rank second in yards per rush at 5.3.

3. They have run 39.4% of the time, just beneath the NFL average of 40.2%.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:12 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

It is interesting that Spags is not getting any look in for any of the vacant DC jobs going at the moment.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:59 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

some interesting comments from an article from Vacchiano...

Quote:

Two coaches that would appear to be in jeopardy are quarterbacks coach Sean Ryan and receivers coach Kevin M. Gilbride, the son of the retired offensive coordinator. Ryan’s job is believed to be safe, one source said, though it was possible he could be reassigned. One assistant coach said they were hoping to officially get word on the fate of the entire staff later in the day.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...hakeup-looms-0
If this article is on the money, it looks like Kevin Gilbride Jr is gone and Sean Ryan could be moved to WR Coach.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:18 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

If Ryan is moved, I wonder who could be options for QB coach?

Of the top of my head these guys could be in the mix

we know

Mike Sullivan (47yrs)
(2002-2003 Jaguars Quality Control Assistant, 2004-2009 Giants WR coach, 2010–2011 Giants QB coach, 2012-2013 Bucs Offensive coordinator)

we could look at bringing someone from Green Bay such as their RB coach

Alex Van Pelt (43yrs)
(2005: Frankfurt Galaxy QB coach, 2006-07: Bills offensive quality control coach, 2008: Bills QB coach, 2009: Bills offensive coordinator/QB coach, 2010-11: Buccaneers QB coach, 2012–Present: Packers RB coach)

what about other OC candidates we interviewed?

Dowell Loggains (33 yrs)
(2008-09: Titans Offensive Quality Control Coach, 2010-12: Titans Quarterbacks Coach, 2012-2013 Titans Offensive coordinator)

Karl Dorrell (50 yrs)
(2000-02: Broncos WR coach, 2003-07: UCLA head coach, 2008-10: Dolphins WR coach, 2011 Dolphins QB coach, 2012-13: Texans QB coach)

any other options?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:55 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Ryan to WR, and Sully as QB coach.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:58 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Is that official?

I'm surprised Sullivan came back to the Giants as a qb coach after applying to be OC and losing to McAdoo. I hope that doesn't create a hostile environment btw the 2.

Let's face it, egos exist in all of us, and it would be difficult for Sullivan to take orders from the guy he lost the job too. I don't know if bringing him back in any capacity is a good idea.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:58 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

So Gilbride gone? Seems like we got the best of everything here besides Pope leaving. Eli had his best years as QB when Sully was QB coach. Loving this!!!

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-16-2014, 10:15 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Is that official?

I'm surprised Sullivan came back to the Giants as a qb coach after applying to be OC and losing to McAdoo. I hope that doesn't create a hostile environment btw the 2.

Let's face it, egos exist in all of us, and it would be difficult for Sullivan to take orders from the guy he lost the job too. I don't know if bringing him back in any capacity is a good idea.

Oops no, I am answering the previous post hypothetical. I should have said that or quoted it.

But no, not official. Just what I would do.

No no, false alarm. It's not for real. I am just answering the previous post above me on what I would do.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:57 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I really hope Gilbride Jr. goes. I see no reason why he should remain on the team. It's not a coincidence that our WRs had an awful year when he became WR coach.

Some of that has to fall on him. And his specialty as a WR coach is less effective under a WCO where he (hopefully) doesn't have to teach his dad's WR rules anymore.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:07 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
I really hope Gilbride Jr. goes. I see no reason why he should remain on the team. It's not a coincidence that our WRs had an awful year when he became WR coach.

Some of that has to fall on him. And his specialty as a WR coach is less effective under a WCO where he (hopefully) doesn't have to teach his dad's WR rules anymore.
That's actually the worst job I have seen a position coach do. Except for Cruz, your X and Z were erratic. You're back up in Murphy Jr. just flat out stunk, and when he did, his mistakes fell in Eli's stat column.

Maybe Gilbride does better in another system. More control and ability to teach effectively the system. But still how does one keep their job after a terrible year?
Old 01-16-2014, 02:54 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Any thoughts on a new QB, RB coach or TE coaches that you would like to see?
Old 01-16-2014, 02:56 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

deleted...

Last edited by Big_Pete : 01-16-2014 at 03:12 PM.