Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 04-22-2014, 06:06 PM    (permalink
Mel Pipeher
Rookie

Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
That is very interesting, I will be curious to see what you find, it is a real overhaul that is happening which is great to see.

I don't know much about the system Pugh and Nassib had at Syracuse. Is it similar to Marrone's system in Buffalo?
They ran a west coast offense at Syracuse. I remember Gruden saying it during his Grudens camp segment with Nassib last year. One of the reasons he really liked him.
Mel Pipeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:10 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

here is a good article with some info from Eli and Cruz on the new system

Quote:

Giants' new offense draws early excitement from Cruz, Eli

Published: April 22, 2014 4:30 PM
By TOM ROCK tom.rock@newsday.com

It's been two days. What does the Giants' new offense look like?

A lot like the Packers', apparently, which makes sense considering that new offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo arrives from that organization.

"It's very similar," wide receiver Victor Cruz said Tuesday. "It's a lot of the same types of plays, a lot of the same types of routes, things of that nature. I'm excited by it. If anybody watches Green Bay they know that they score a lot of points and get up and down the field quickly and put up a lot of big plays. So we're excited about that."

Eli Manning said it's been a "fun couple of days" in the new offense and admitted that "my mind is swimming right now."

"I think it will bring a lot of opportunities and we'll be able to move the ball and score so I'm excited about it," the quarterback said. "I think it will be similar to what they did in Green Bay. That's where Ben came from so I think it will be pretty similar to that offense."

Manning wouldn't go so far as to label it a "West Coast" system.

"I've never been in a West Coast offense so I don't know if this is exactly West Coast or a form of it or not anything like it," he said. "I think it probably has some tendencies to it in some of the protections and stuff, but every offense has its own little style, it's own uniqueness that makes it work . . . This is Coach McAdoo's offense and I'm here to learn it."

One thing the receivers seem excited by is the simplification of their routes. Under former offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride, the receivers indicated their routes to Manning based on their body language. Cruz and Rueben Randle said this new system will be more straight-forward. Randle said there will be fewer opportunities for miscommunication.

Of course, the Giants can't get on the field to see their new system yet. It'll be another two weeks before they can be out there for drills and even then, they probably won't have Manning with them until the start of training camp. Manning is recovering from ankle surgery and is still wearing a protective boot.

"This is my second offense I've had to learn," Manning said. "It's a little different than it was 10 years ago when I was a rookie in the NFL. Now I have an understanding of the game of football better and in a lot of cases it's the same thing just said a little differently."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...-eli-1.7792730
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:11 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Pipeher View Post
They ran a west coast offense at Syracuse. I remember Gruden saying it during his Grudens camp segment with Nassib last year. One of the reasons he really liked him.
Thanks for the info.

It does seem that our new system will suit Nassib and Pugh (as well as others)
Old 04-22-2014, 06:13 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Except Nassib sucked at Syracuse besides his average senior year.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:16 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This talk of no option routes is making a hole in my pants.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:35 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
This talk of no option routes is making a hole in my pants.
You?! Imagine me! How long have I said this?! I been saying this since god knows. I got my wish!

No stupid WR one way, and Ball goes another.

Big pete,

I think it may be similar to Cuses offenses. Perhaps the terminology is the same too. So maybe no stupid delay of games either! Wow no miscommunications AND no delay of games! Holy smokes!
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:24 PM    (permalink
Mel Pipeher
Rookie

Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Except Nassib sucked at Syracuse besides his average senior year.
He sucked? He took over as qb for one of the worst teams in D 1 and won them a bowl game in his first year as a Rs sophomore. Set school records as a junior and had 3800 yards 26 Tds and 10 ints as a senior. He was a little better than average bro.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:33 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He sucked? He took over as qb for one of the worst teams in D 1 and won them a bowl game in his first year as a Rs sophomore. Set school records as a junior and had 3800 yards 26 Tds and 10 ints as a senior. He was a little better than average bro.
All against garbage teams. When he played a real defense he never played well.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-22-2014, 10:29 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah Nassib is kinda really hot garbage.

I'll admit I was wrong on Pugh, but I never saw anything in Nassib that had me thinking he'd be a pro QB. ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:50 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No offense but you guys' Rutgers bias gets in the way quite a bit. Especially with Scotty.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:33 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Personally I like Nassib quite a bit. He was one of the better rated QBs in the draft last year imho. I actually thing he is a much better prospect than any of the QBs in this draft.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:37 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
You?! Imagine me! How long have I said this?! I been saying this since god knows. I got my wish!

No stupid WR one way, and Ball goes another.

Big pete,

I think it may be similar to Cuses offenses. Perhaps the terminology is the same too. So maybe no stupid delay of games either! Wow no miscommunications AND no delay of games! Holy smokes!
Up tempo, Eli can just make progression reads and get the ball out...

better pass protection to give Eli time with a zone blocking scheme...

A physical ground game to complement our aerial game.

Coughlin and McAdoo have mentioned the vertical passing

Running backs who can block....

Interesting about Syracuse's schemes, I was expecting a heavy dose of the Packers influence. I wouldn't rule out parts from McAdoo's time with the 49ers and Saints as well.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:51 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I looked into Nassib's draft profile a little more.

Scott, CBS Sports and the huddle report all had Nassib rated as the 4th best QB and a genuine second round pick.

Here is what Jerry Reese thought on Nassib in the draft
http://www.bigblueview.com/2013-nfl-...reese-reaction

Nassib had arm strength, athleticism and accuracy, he just needed development.

Reese's comments in particular have some interesting insights

"We talked about it early this morning that if he was still there, there was no way we were going to pass him up again because he has too much value."

"We think this is a perfect opportunity for us to get a young quarterback with a lot of talent"

""We think he has the skill set to be a starter at some point in the league."

"He's got the arm strength. We like the accuracy about him. We like that "it" factor on him."
Old 04-23-2014, 04:57 AM    (permalink
Mel Pipeher
Rookie

I think it was Ross who said they had him as a 2nd round guy thats why they made the trade up in the 4th to get him. Nassib has a lot of the things you look for in a QB. Hes a leader, has a strong arm, good mobility, and makes his reads very quickly. Obviously we have a few haters in the house but I'm excited about his potential.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:28 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I think it was Ross who said they had him as a 2nd round guy thats why they made the trade up in the 4th to get him. Nassib has a lot of the things you look for in a QB. Hes a leader, has a strong arm, good mobility, and makes his reads very quickly. Obviously we have a few haters in the house but I'm excited about his potential.
I am really excited about Nassib's potential as well.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:20 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
No offense but you guys' Rutgers bias gets in the way quite a bit. Especially with Scotty.
I admitted I was wrong on Pugh, although he looked AWFUL against Rutgers and we have mediocre pass rushers.

I've never thought Nassib looked good. Ever.

And I was backing Geno Smith last year, soooo
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:48 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Forenci likes to pick and choose when he calls us Rutgers homers. Nevermind the fact I've discredited Greene and then Coleman this year and have liked other Big East players. I was calling Bridgewater a 1st round probable first overall pick since his FR year. Others as well.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-23-2014, 08:31 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Why are we dragging our feet on picking up Prince's 5th year option? Am I missing something? Trying to work out a long term deal I'd say but Prince has already let be known he wants the option picked up.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-23-2014, 08:33 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
Why are we dragging our feet on picking up Prince's 5th year option? Am I missing something? Trying to work out a long term deal I'd say but Prince has already let be known he wants the option picked up.
yeahhh we really need to just get on that now
Quote:
Old 04-23-2014, 10:54 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Of course he does. That's like 6 million or so. Way too high for him. Solid player, but a long term deal helps lower that. On the other hand, one can say Rolle's future may not be long term so that will be off the books. Eli in a few years will be off the books too.

So it depends.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:00 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
Of course he does. That's like 6 million or so. Way too high for him. Solid player, but a long term deal helps lower that. On the other hand, one can say Rolle's future may not be long term so that will be off the books. Eli in a few years will be off the books too.

So it depends.
Yea but we could pick up the option and still work out a new deal.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-23-2014, 11:17 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Forenci likes to pick and choose when he calls us Rutgers homers. Nevermind the fact I've discredited Greene and then Coleman this year and have liked other Big East players. I was calling Bridgewater a 1st round probable first overall pick since his FR year. Others as well.
Well, that's why I singled out Scotty specifically. You're pretty reasonable with it.

Scotty was also the person who thought JPP was trash when we selected him too and has said it was because he hated USF. I mean, everyone is a homer to some extent, and I was pointing out sometimes I take what y'all say against rivals with a grain of salt (ala, Pugh, JPP).

I'm sure I do it with Beatty too, giving him more credit than he deserves and sadly UConn has never been good enough for me to be homeristic about a lot of our prospects simply because we do not have many good ones.

I STILL LOVE YOU GUYS!
Old 04-23-2014, 01:08 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com...&thread=494142
Old 04-23-2014, 06:25 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giants Schedule:

Monday 9/8 at Lions
Sunday 9/14 vs Cardinals
Sunday 9/21 vs Texans
Thursday 9/25 at Washington
Sunday 10/5 vs Atlanta
Sunday 10/12 at Philly Sunday Night Football
Sunday 10/19 at Dallas
10/26 BYE
Monday 11/3 vs Indy
Sunday 11/9 at Seattle
Sunday 11/16 vs Niners
Sunday 11/23 vs Dallas Sunday Night Football
Sunday 11/30 at Jags
Sunday 12/7 at Titans
Sunday 12/14 vs Skins
Sunday 12/21 at Rams
Sunday 12/28 vs Philly

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-24-2014, 02:52 AM    (permalink
Mel Pipeher
Rookie

Quote:
Giants Schedule:

Monday 9/8 at Lions
Sunday 9/14 vs Cardinals
Sunday 9/21 vs Texans
Thursday 9/25 at Washington
Sunday 10/5 vs Atlanta
Sunday 10/12 at Philly Sunday Night Football
Sunday 10/19 at Dallas
10/26 BYE
Monday 11/3 vs Indy
Sunday 11/9 at Seattle
Sunday 11/16 vs Niners
Sunday 11/23 vs Dallas Sunday Night Football
Sunday 11/30 at Jags
Sunday 12/7 at Titans
Sunday 12/14 vs Skins
Sunday 12/21 at Rams
Sunday 12/28 vs Philly
Our secondary better come together quickly. And closing the season out against philly? That could be for the division or a wildcard spot.