Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 05-29-2014, 07:51 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It looks like the Giants have approached Jermichael Finley

It looks like we are seriously interested

Conor Orrū@ConorTOrrˇ3m ˇ
No visits for #Giants scheduled, but it sounds like they've at least reached out to Jermichael Finley. Doesn't hurt to have a chat.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:04 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't really want him :-/ Even before the injury he was very unreliable and whiny, hopefully the injury has humbled him and he's worked on getting his hands to not suck on 50% of the balls that get to him, but if he's going to complain about not getting the ball enough while dropping every other pass I'mma be seriously disappointed, even if he is the same dynamic athlete he was before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:05 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN View Post
He does, but so did Bennett. How do we know our current tight ends don't have dropsies? Ballard was very inconsistent but it was the few plays he made that impacted the results of games.
Yeah but black unicorn never complained about not being the focal point of our offense, Finley did in Green Bay. Unreliable and whiny about his touches is a combo I really don't like.

Quote:
Old 05-29-2014, 08:10 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Pipeher View Post
I saw him play a bit last year and can tell you it's not. The guy ranked 3rd last season in receptions playing with Schaub, Keenum, and Yates.. I think that's a good indication that he can still play.
It's a good indication that he's still big and his hands are still great. What are his ypc and td totals? Did he have any 30+ yard plays? I don't really care enough to look it up since we're arguing a hypothetical that makes no sense to our team, but i'd bet those numbers give you a much better image of the transformation into a later day Amani Toomer that he's undergone. Which just isn't a player that's worth what he's getting paid or to be traded for to any team that's not insanely desperate for any sort of WR help.

Quote:
Old 05-29-2014, 08:13 PM    (permalink
Mel Pipeher
Rookie

Mel Pipeher hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Finely drops to many footballs. Pass.
That's been mentioned a few times now and while it's true it should also be said that packers WRs Driver, Jones, Nelson, and Cobb have all had high drop rates similar to Finley. I think there's a correlation there.

What I like about Finley is that he's very successful getting first downs. He's also a good target in the redzone. Those are two things we can use.
Mel Pipeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:35 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf (Rosebud) View Post
Yeah but black unicorn never complained about not being the focal point of our offense, Finley did in Green Bay. Unreliable and whiny about his touches is a combo I really don't like.
They're different players. I can understand Finley's dismay during the years following the Packer's Super Bowl win without him. I'd also say that with so many of the receivers winning on routes it was frustrating with time after time being open and ready to make a play but without the opportunity.

Catching the ball is a very mental thing, and a player like Finley clearly shows that. For the same reasons I don't want to stunt Robinson or Donnell, confidence has been lacking.

Either way I will try to be optimistic. I am sure Finley is interested in us because of the opportunity to start without much competition unlike Seahawks and Patriots.

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:54 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

Oh if it happens I'll be cynically optimistic, but I hope it doesn't happen and we just roll with what we've got.

Quote:
Old 05-29-2014, 09:30 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Was also reading about Will Hill's appeal and talked to a doctor that I work with about drug tests and Giants (he's a giants fan so he knows about the situation). He offered some insight that sometimes you can test positive for severely diluted urine, which could be concern for a player trying to mask his drug use or (unlikely) the player could have drank a crapload of water. Even if this is the case, Hill would need to be tested once more.

The appeal seems to be taking a long while, but that could just be because the public knew about his positive result way earlier than other situations and due process is actually this long.

http://www.giants101.com/2014/05/28/...appeal-report/

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-29-2014, 09:44 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Pipdefinitely 41
That's been mentioned a few times now and while it's true it should also be said that packers WRs Driver, Jones, Nelson, and Cobb have all had high drop rates similar to Finley. I think there's a correlation there.

What I like about Finley is that he's very successful getting first downs. He's also a good target in the redzone. Those are two things we can use.
I think it is definately on the radar and that Reese and Coughlin ideally want to add a TE

I suspect Finley is option 1

perhaps a trade for someone like Rob Housler (or someone else) is option 2

Otherwise we will go with the guys we have and keep an eye on roster cuts from other teams.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:59 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm with Pete on this one. Finley makes so much sense for us, high talent player that'll come at a low cost and familiar with our new OC?
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:02 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think he's as high of a talent as everyone is saying.

If we bring him I'm not going to make a "stink" but I just feel he's overrated.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:07 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

I could not agree more

Quote:
Old 05-29-2014, 10:18 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

Ditto with you last guys, but just because he's overrated doesn't mean that it doesn't fit well and could be a serviceable marriage. If this is our worst decision, I am pretty confident in how our roster is being managed.

However, like many of you have identified before, where is our pass rush? Is Beatty (a player most of us have soured on) even going to be able to get significant reps in a new offense before the season?

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-30-2014, 01:39 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Finley is definitely overrated, plus he will bring a ton of drama with him. This is the guy who openly hammered Aaron Rodgers for not getting him the ball more.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:07 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Will Hill lost his suspension and will be suspended for 6 games. I pray we keep him around if it's only weed.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-30-2014, 03:24 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We cut Freeman. Says one of two things. Freeman is even worse than everyone thinks. Or Eli is a lot healthier than we though.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:31 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
We cut Freeman. Says one of two things. Freeman is even worse than everyone thinks. Or Eli is a lot healthier than we though.
Eli is much healthier than expected
Old 05-30-2014, 04:29 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
All of the above.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-30-2014, 06:21 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

Quote:

Quote:
Old 06-01-2014, 05:22 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Over the cap has the Giants with the following cap information

New York Giants 2014 Salary Cap

Est. Salary Cap Space: $2,594,422
Offensive Spend: 25 Players - $71,719,966
Defensive Spend: 23 Players - $50,448,417
Specials Spend: 3 Players - $4,475,000

Note that only the top 51 contracts count against the salary cap in the offseason.

We gain $5m in additional salary cap room tomorrow due to Baas's designation as a post June 1 cut.

That puts us with around $7.5m in cap room. That is enough to make some moves if we wanted. It will be interesting to see what (if anything) happens.

We also can make additional room by restructuring the contracts of Eli or Rolle but that seems very unlikely at this point.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:29 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Finley reportedly did meet with an undisclosed team and his cap number would likely be at least around $2.5m (which we didn't have until Freeman's departure). We should know this week I expect whether Finley is likely to be a Giant or not.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:25 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

It seems the TEs are performing solidly so far.

here are some comments from Pat Traina and Conner Hughes (BBI) from the media day last week (I find external reports to be better than giants.com)

Quote:

* I thought tight end Adrien Robinson had a good practice. Robinson looked very patient going over the middle. His routes, from what I could see, were all run crisply. I didn’t see any drops from him; he also came up with a sliding reception on an off-target throw and he did a nice job on another pass in which he used his body to shield the ball from the defender.

* Rookie tight end Xavier Grimble was at the end of an incomplete pass. He got an earful from new tight ends coach Kevin M. Gilbride, a good sign that Grimble ran the wrong route.

* Last week Robinson told reporters that the tight end position is going to be asked to do more. Today, I sat for a bit with Larry Donnell to get more information about that and Donnell said that we’re going to see the tight end used in ways that the position wasn’t used last year more often. I’ll have more specifics on that in the coming days.

Pat Traina

•Speaking of screen passes, something was shown on multiple occasions that I have not seen on a consistent basis since the Jeremy Shockey era: tight end screens. Quite a few were run, one in particular to Adrien Robinson stood out. It appeared as if it would have picked up a good chunk of change down the sideline.

•There was no clear-cut No. 1 tight end displayed today, as Coughlin & Co. seem to have the competition completely open. Everyone saw reps and a few stood out. Adrien Robinson hauled in three passes from what I saw. Daniel Fells made a nice grab. Larry Donnell stood out for the opposite reason, dropping a wide-open pass down the seam. For what it’s worth, Fells was the first tight end on the field.

•I was impressed with Robinson, looked good. Donnell didn’t stand out much aside from a drop down the seam.

Connor Hughes (BBI)
Some interesting observations is that Fells seems to be doing ok, not much mention of Davis.

I like the idea of TE screens, sounds like they are also moving a lot including into the backfield. Perhaps we are going to see more of the TE play style we had with Shockey?

I wonder if Kevin M Gilbride is having better success in developing talent so far? McAdoo's system could be a factor as well as will McAdoo's experience coaching TEs. Early results at least are positive.

Pope was a good TE coach, though his methods were a little unorthodox and it is clear the TE will have a different role with McAdoo, but maybe Gilbride jr is a solid coach as well.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 06-01-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:55 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

God damn it Donnell!

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-01-2014, 07:10 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN View Post
God damn it Donnell!
lol

I think there will be a lot of hits and misses with this current bunch of TEs, hopefully they can get there, but I suspect inconsistency may be an issue.

Also it seems we want to do a lot of the kind of things we did when we had Shockey with a lot of movement, TE screens, plays from the backfield etc. I think outside of Robinson, athletic limitations could be a hindrance .

I believe that is why the front office would ideally want to add another option at TE and why I think Finley and Housler are at least on the radar (though the level of interest is debatable). Both can fill the style of TE that we had with Shockey.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:21 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Here is a question/idea for people to discuss.

It is possible that with Will Hill's latest suspension his long term future here is in doubt.

If we are interested in trading for a player, is it worth considering trading Will Hill?

Sure he has the suspension, but not all teams are concerned as we are about these kind of things. I could see both Cincinnati and St Louis being interested, there no doubt would be others.

Would you trade Hill for Rey Maualuga? (Vincent Rey has been taking 1st team reps at MLB) or perhaps Rob Housler (with whom we have been linked)?

any thoughts?