Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 06-10-2014, 09:22 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't either. I expect there to be a 8 week adjustment period. Which worries me because with our talent coupled with our schedule, we may not have the luxury of having growing pains for 8 games.

It's such a wild season, like I literally have no idea what to expect. We could go 11-5, we could go 4-12. There are so many what ifs that could go either way that could determine our season.

Ultimately, the safe bet is to assume half of the what ifs go in your favor. If that's the case, realistically we're looking at another 8-8 season.

We just don't have enough talent on this team to be a legit competitor this year. We're in a rebuilding phase.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:02 AM    (permalink
Jomoz (Thumper)
Rookie

Jomoz (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They need to rebuild the two things that got them those Super Bowls the past 8 years. Their QB (Eli's probably done, or at least his OL is) and their DL (Osi and Tuck are gone and Pierre-Paul is a one year wonder fraud and I don't see anyone else turning into a big time player on that roster at DL).
Jomoz (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:03 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Damontre Moore is a better and more productive player than Brandon graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:10 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thumper, you have no idea how bad I want to sign Brandon Graham in the offseason. I don't even care that he sucks, I just want him on the Giants in the worst way.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:49 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
We just don't have enough talent on this team to be a legit competitor this year. We're in a rebuilding phase.
I don't buy it, lets wait and see.

A lot of people wrote this team off in 2007 and again in 2011.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:43 AM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-NFLDC

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the biggest thing is we have no idea what we've got. We have probably one of, if not the most, roster turnovers from last season to this season. That alone provides a lot of question marks, then add that we are switching our offensive scheme, then add that we lost major contributors from past seasons.

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:32 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

When you have so many question marks the way we do, it's unrealistic to expect all of them to pan out. You'll be lucky if half of them do. And going by that, it's hard to sell me on the talent on this team right here right now. We simply don't have enough.

In 07 I felt we were 1 year away from being a contender. In 11 I felt we had a contender.

The talent on this roster feels like it's 2 maybe 3 years away. There's just no depth, and the starting talent is questionable. It's just not a great roster.

Especially when you consider the competition. There are rosters out there that are just infinitely more talented.

You have to keep in mind, the offseason is about hope bc every team gets better (almost). Every team brings in draft picks. Many bring in FAs. So every fan base wants to believe they got better in the offseason (again for the most part).

The important thing is, did you get better than your competition? Did you improve more than your competition?

The answer for us is no. We had a meh draft. We simply got a bunch of bandaids in free agency. It might possibly be enough to get us into the playoffs if we're lucky but this is not a championship team. You're fooling yourself if you think it is.

And that's fine. Look, let's face it, this team is rebuilding. We're a ways away from being a contender. Now obviously a couple of lucky bounces and who knows but it's a bit unrealistic to assume we are going into this season.

Just evaluate the roster honestly. There's no way you can reach the conclusion that we can hang with the Seattles, Denvers, SFs, NEs of the world with our roster. We can't. We're not good enough.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:23 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Think about how much youth we need on this team:

CB: We're going to need a nickel CB. Hoseley is shaping up to be a bust, we signed a 1 year rental in Thurmond.

Safety: Rolle and Brown could both be gone and we have dog poo behind them.

LB: Do I even need to say anything here? No youth worth a damn. JWill maybe but at this point it's unlikely the light comes on.

DL: Could use another young able DT, need another young DE.

That's just the defense.

On offense we need youth at:

OT, G, TE

You add that all up and we have a lot of aging positions. And that's just starters, we aren't even talking about depth yet.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:16 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Think about how much youth we need on this team:

CB: We're going to need a nickel CB. Hoseley is shaping up to be a bust, we signed a 1 year rental in Thurmond.

Safety: Rolle and Brown could both be gone and we have dog poo behind them.

LB: Do I even need to say anything here? No youth worth a damn. JWill maybe but at this point it's unlikely the light comes on.

DL: Could use another young able DT, need another young DE.

That's just the defense.

On offense we need youth at:

OT, G, TE

You add that all up and we have a lot of aging positions. And that's just starters, we aren't even talking about depth yet.
I don't necessarily see it like that. The NFL does seem to be a year to year proposition.

as far as LBs go Paysinger and Williams are solid; lets see what Kennard is like. McClain seems decent so far.

At DT we have Hankins, Bromley, Quarles and Manumaleuna all decent youngsters with potential. I don't see how we lack young able DTs

At OT we have Pugh and Beatty and Brown are not old. And we have Brewer, Mosely, Herman etc in the mix.

CB we have Thurmond (who could be resigned) but we also have a bunch of youngsters

you could argue we have good youth at TE with Robinson, Donnell and Grimble.

Safety isn't bare, though we do need guys to emerge.

I don't think we necessarily need an influx of youth. We have gotten younger this offseason and have plenty of decent youngsters. What we do need to happen is for some of our promising youngsters to emerge.

Another point to make is with the roster overhaul, there is more opportunity for younger guys to get an opportunity.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:21 PM    (permalink
Jomoz (Thumper)
Rookie

Jomoz (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Thumper, you have no idea how bad I want to sign Brandon Graham in the offseason. I don't even care that he sucks, I just want him on the Giants in the worst way.
If they would give him a starting job as a 4-3 DE (which, given the lack of talent on the Giants roster at DE, he would definitely get one in a heartbeat) I'd be ecstatic.

I just want everyone to see Graham get a chance to start and I'm sure if he does start in a 4-3 somewhere he'll be a Pro-Bowl caliber player for years to come.
Jomoz (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:22 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

The Giants are working out WR Dezell Jones (6-5, 225) from central Connecticut

We have already added Corey Washington (6-4), so it seems we are looking for bigger options at WR.

What I find interesting is that I had thought our WR group to be pretty well stacked with Victor Cruz, Odell Beckham, Rueben Randle, Jerrel Jernigan, Trindon Holliday, Mario Manningham, Kris Adams, Parker Preston, Travis Harvey, Marcus Harris and Corey Washington.

Is it an indication that perhaps Manningham is not as healthy as we would like?
Old 06-12-2014, 01:07 AM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-NFLDC

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Practicing with formations that require 3 or 4 WR sets makes carrying more in OTA's and Mini-Camp necessary. Otherwise we'd tire out some WR's and they'd sustain injuries from cramps and fatigue. It also gives the QB's more reps, which is certainly where the big transition is. Competition is a factor too, but the main thing I'd suspect is what I previously mentioned.

Just my two cents...

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:36 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

If Mark ******* Herzlich is our starting MIKE at the beginning of the season....

so help me God...
Old 06-12-2014, 12:45 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Randle got hurt also.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:48 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nevermind Randle is fine now.

Beason hurt his foot. Hope it's not a Lis Franc thing.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 06-12-2014, 12:56 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

We're staring 8-8 dead in the face.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:26 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At least we're not on Hard Knocks
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:46 PM    (permalink
Mel Pipeher
Rookie

Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.

For the most part I agree with BBDs assessment of the team and the outlook for this season.

I have questions about how Eli will fit in this offense. We have uncertainties at both tackle spots. Huge question mark at center. No legit starting TE currently on roster. Question marks all along the Dline. LBs suck besides Beason but he's fragile. We did very good in free agency but bombed in the draft.

We could get extremely lucky and all that work out for us but chances are it won't. Right now 8-8 season but we'll see how injuries effect us and other teams in our division.
Mel Pipeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:44 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pat Traina report.

Quote:
Currently, Henry Hynoski seems to be working with the starters, but with the running backs being targeted for check downs and such, there really hasnít been much for the fullbacks to do yet other than catch a ball or two out of the backfield. And so far, both Hynoski and Conner have looked good in this regard, not dropping any passes.
Quote:
There was definitely an emphasis placed on screens in this practice and most seemed to be successful. However, on one play, running back Andre Williams seemed to fight the ball. He seems to trap the ball against his body instead of extending his arms to reel in the pass. If he doesnít fix that technique flaw, heís going to have a lot of drops.

Different article

Quote:
"I can't complain about it," Jernigan eventually said. "There are not that many reads so you can go out and play faster and get everything going. You don't have to think as much."

Under former offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride, who retired after the season, the Giants' wide receivers were regularly asked to determine their routes based on the what the defense was doing. It created more than a little confusion, especially last season when quarterback Eli Manning finished with 27 interceptions and their was admittedly a disconnect with his receivers.

I think we have a shot to do well this season. I think the defense got better, and I think our turnover issue should go down. I see a lot of check downs, screens, and different use personnel. So I am very excited about this new system.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:57 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Derrick Ward lent Terrel Thomas 500 bucks and is very mad about it on twitter.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:13 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
Derrick Ward lent Terrel Thomas 500 bucks and is very mad about it on twitter.
Can anyone quote what he's saying?
Old 06-13-2014, 11:21 AM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: I feel like a, like a slice o' butter,melting on top of a big-ol pile of flapjacks...yeah
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.sportsmedia101.com/newyor...it-got-heated/

Derrick Ward is a clown

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:29 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Beason out for 12 weeks, iffy for week 1
Old 06-13-2014, 11:36 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Well at least it's not for the season. I can live with him not being around for camp and preseason.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:49 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Beason doesn't need camp so I'll take this as good news. I bet he's not back until week 3 or 4 though.

sig by BoneKrusher