Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 07-09-2014, 10:11 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
I was going to say that any TE's cut might be of interest but I think I'm happy rolling with what we got.
I don't mind Dreessen as a solid option, but

Overall I like the depth we have, I think Robinson and Donnell have potential.

I wouldn't mind adding a dynamic receiving weapon like Housler but it isn't essential. I think that adds a dimension to our passing game we haven't had.

I could see us adding a TE in the draft next year (my preferred option being Rutgers TE Tyler Kroft on day 2)
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:16 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
I don't mind Dreessen as a solid option, but

Overall I like the depth we have, I think Robinson and Donnell have potential.

I wouldn't mind adding a dynamic receiving weapon like Housler but it isn't essential. I think that adds a dimension to our passing game we haven't had.

I could see us adding a TE in the draft next year (my preferred option being Rutgers TE Tyler Kroft on day 2)

Are you just trying to get in well with Scotty and I?

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:34 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Are you just trying to get in well with Scotty and I?
Not at all, he seems like a good value fit for McAdoo's system

I don't have any particular college bias (after all I live down under), but I have been looking at options for next year and I am using a variety of sources to develop my own options.

Kroft seems to be firmly in that day 2 range value-wise right now although it is very early.

for example, here is what Kiper has Kroft rated as the #3 underclassmen TE
here is what he says about him

Quote:
3. Tyler Kroft, Rutgers Scarlet Knights: It's impressive that Kroft was the leading pass-catcher for the Scarlet Knights last year, because I think he holds up pretty well as a blocker, particularly in the run game. At 6-6, 240 pounds, he's also athletic enough to move outside.
Looking at Kroft's production last year he has 43 rec for 573 yards, 4 TD with a healthy average of 13.3

I don't know the specifics of the Rutgers team or how well they are likely to go, but Kroft seems to have exactly the type of TE that would really open up our offense. He also has the size to add muscle and seems to be able to hold up a little in the run game.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:41 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well yea he's very good. Scotty just said last page last post we should go for him and he's right.

Rock the R down under.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-09-2014, 10:55 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Well yea he's very good. Scotty just said last page last post we should go for him and he's right.

Rock the R down under.
I didn't see Scotty's post, but I have been looking over draft options over the last few weeks. I want to see who to watch this season.

Walterfootball has Kroft currently ranked as the #5 TE for 2015

Quote:
Tyler Kroft*, TE, Rutgers
Height: 6-6. Weight: 240.
Projected 40 Time: 4.75.
Projected Round (2015): 2-4.
6/1/14: Kroft was a backup as a freshman, but he brokeout in 2013 by hauling in 43 receptions for 573 yards and four touchdowns. Kroft has good height and length to him with some quickness. If he fills out his frame, he'll likely improve as a blocker.

walterfootball.com
Old 07-09-2014, 10:56 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I have my eye on a few other prospects at other positions as well.

:)
Old 07-09-2014, 11:07 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Start the 2015 draft thread then!

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-10-2014, 01:05 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Start the 2015 draft thread then!
I will start a 2015 draft thread soon.

I have started a thread on an Early 2015 Offseason preview. This will give an overall indication of the how the 2015 offseason shapes up for us with the roster and salary cap.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:42 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I have been looking over the 53 man roster options, I find RB particularly interesting.

I fully expect we will keep a combination of 5 RB/FB on the final roster.

I noticed a couple of other interesting points.

Firstly McAdoo has mentioned that blocking is the top priority in his RBs

We are using our FBs a lot more in versatile roles

There is talk that we plan to use a FB in our single back sets.

Assuming Wilson is not cleared for contact in time for camp, I suspect there is a chance we keep both Hynoksi and Conner on the 53 man roster.

It gives us options and depth for those single back sets and improved blocking, particularly on special teams.

In that scenario we would likely have Jennings, Williams and Hillis on the active roster with Conner and Hynoksi with Wilson on PUP and Gaskins on the PS.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:12 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Here is my pre-training camp predictions of opening day giants roster.

QB (2): Manning, Nassib

RB (5): Jennings, Williams, Hillis, Connor (FB), Hynoksi (FB)

WR (6): Cruz, Randle, Beckham, Manningham, Jernigan, Holliday (KR)

TE (3): Robinson, Donnell, Davis

OL (9): Pugh, Schwartz, Beatty, Walton, Richburg, Brown, Jerry, Mosley, Brewer

DT (5): Jenkins, Hankins, Kuhn, Bromley, Quarles

DE (4): Pierre-Paul, Ayers, Kiwanuka, Moore

LB (5): Beason, Williams, Paysinger, McClain, Kennard

CB (6): Rodgers-Cromartie, Amukamara, Thurmond, McBride, Bowman, James

S (5): Rolle, Brown, Demps, Taylor, Berhe

LS (1): DeOssie

K (1): Brown

P (1): Weatherford

PUP (2): RB Wilson, TE Finley, G Snee

Suspended (1): CB Hosley

Practice Squad (8): WR Harris, RB Gaskins, G Hermann, TE Grimble, DT Dawkins, LB Fox, CB Bennett, S Gordon

I expect that Wilson will start on PUP while he works up to full contact. I wouldn't be surprised if we signed Jermichael Finley and he was placed in a similar situation. Both players would be able to work up to things over the first six weeks. With Hosley we have nickel CB depth once his suspension is concluded.

There will be some initial bumps along the way initially with our new offense, being able to add dynamic players like Wilson and Finley could really provide a spark for the back half of the season.

I went with 2 FBs (while Wilson isn't ready to go) which may be a little unusual. But McAdoo has emphasised blocking and reports are we will use a FB in our single back sets. It also allows the FB to take the special team role previously done by the 6th LB in the past. This lets us take an extra DB.
This will be partly mitigated by Kiwanuka playing some LB. I also think we are likely to field three CBs more often than 3 LBs. I also expect that Cullen Jenkins may get some work at LDE. Having five safeties helps offset the loss of Will Hill, particularly as Brown and Demps have missed considerable time over their careers. Both Berhe and Taylor will have strong special teams roles which will again help cover the loss of the 6th LB.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 07-10-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:25 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm still pissed that we didn't pick up Brandon Coleman. Like wtf Giants, you had literally nothing to lose. Why didn't you pick him up in the 7th round or even as a UDFA?

Ugh.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:12 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I'm still pissed that we didn't pick up Brandon Coleman. Like wtf Giants, you had literally nothing to lose. Why didn't you pick him up in the 7th round or even as a UDFA?

Ugh.
I am a little surprised as well, I guess he had more opportunity to get on the field with the Jets
Old 07-13-2014, 06:14 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I wouldn't underestimate the young receivers we have on the roster.

Sure they face an uphill battle to make the roster, but these guys have potential and could breakout.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:53 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Congrats ROSE!!!!!!!

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-14-2014, 09:04 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Congrats ROSE!!!!!!!
Rosebud?

What did he do?
Old 07-14-2014, 09:32 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Germany won the World Cup yesterday if you didn't hear.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-14-2014, 09:35 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Oh yeaaaaaah. Germany deserved the Cup bc they were the best team throughout the tournament. I felt like Argentina played the better game and blew it yesterday though.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:40 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Really? Germans out played them pretty much the whole game I thought.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-14-2014, 09:46 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I felt like Argentina had more opportunities on goal, and Messi missed a shot he makes 9 out of 10 times. Plus the one shot that Argentina had where the defender headed it to him and it was just him and the goalie and he missed. Plus there was another wide open chance they blew. I just felt like they had plays they should have made.

It was close but I gave the slight edge to Argentina. Germany deserved to win though.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:55 AM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I felt like Argentina had more opportunities on goal, and Messi missed a shot he makes 9 out of 10 times. Plus the one shot that Argentina had where the defender headed it to him and it was just him and the goalie and he missed. Plus there was another wide open chance they blew. I just felt like they had plays they should have made.

It was close but I gave the slight edge to Argentina. Germany deserved to win though.
Can't ignore the intimidation factor of Neuer, guys know that to beat him they have to hit a perfect shot right into a corner. That's why Messi tried to sneak it into the far sidenetting instead of trying to hammer it shortside like he would 9 times out of 10.

Jogi made sure that we'd give the argies their share of chances, and if the lineup wasn't enough Kroos tried to chip in but the boys deserved the win and I'm happy they got it, even if Sabella replacing Lavezzi was a move no german would've had the audacity to make for fear of being accused of trying to lose the game intentionally.

But seriously, I really want to know what happened to my phone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:29 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf (Rosebud) View Post
Can't ignore the intimidation factor of Neuer, guys know that to beat him they have to hit a perfect shot right into a corner. That's why Messi tried to sneak it into the far sidenetting instead of trying to hammer it shortside like he would 9 times out of 10.

Jogi made sure that we'd give the argies their share of chances, and if the lineup wasn't enough Kroos tried to chip in but the boys deserved the win and I'm happy they got it, even if Sabella replacing Lavezzi was a move no german would've had the audacity to make for fear of being accused of trying to lose the game intentionally.

But seriously, I really want to know what happened to my phone...
The gf is a German national (was born there, spent 7 years there) so she was cheering for Germany, so I didn't mind them winning. Plus I work for a German company so I had a vesting interest too.

I personally wanted to see Messi get one, I think it would've been great for his legacy but I was good with either outcome. Germany was clearly the best team of the tournament and deserved the cup. It would be a shame if they didn't win it to be honest.

Congrats bro!
Old 07-14-2014, 12:56 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

We open camp a week from today I believe. Holy crap.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-14-2014, 12:58 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

The World Cup was a nice filler before camp this year. Wish we had something to fill the void every year.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:00 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Yeah that's a good point. When the Mets are good that helps also. We're opening up really early this year because of the HOF game as well so it all kind of came together. The camp stories/battles are always fun to read about.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-14-2014, 01:01 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

This year's camp is also going to be exciting bc we're going to see a new offense for the first time in 10 years. It's more than just a tune up before the season starts, this camp is going to be different.

It's pretty exciting. Especially since we have so many unknowns in terms of player development.