Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 09-13-2011, 11:51 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You don't draft for the first few weeks of kids' rookie seasons.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:52 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well you can't predict injuries. Prince will be back shortly and the Austin thing is just bad luck. Brewer we took so we could throw him into our minor league offensive line system we have going.

You could have said we wasted a 2nd round pick on Joseph last year because he didn't play but look at how giddy we all are now about him(I might be 90% of the giddyness).

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:54 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
But the draft is a long time away. Once the OL gels we'll be running the ball a lot better and more often, with time Mario can get back to playing really well and we still don't know for sure that no one's going to step into the 3rd WR role and play well. Hell Barden could still come back and give us that high caliber troika of receivers. I'm not opposed to getting another weapon, but that doesn't mean I've already given up on the guys we do have after one game coming off of a shortened offseason.
Yeah the OL will gel but the question is WHEN? By the time they gel, we might be headed for a disaster season. We need to win these games coming up before the BYE because after it we play very tough teams.

If we play after the bye and have a losing record we may be headed for a top 10 pick. I am not optimistic about Barden. He is a 26 year old player who has been 3 years and has done nothing.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:55 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You don't draft for the first few weeks of kids' rookie seasons.
I know, but you also want to get a return on your investment, especially since you are not loaded with talent. We need these players to step up and they are either hurt or inactive.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:34 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
I know, but you also want to get a return on your investment, especially since you are not loaded with talent. We need these players to step up and they are either hurt or inactive.
I've always felt that unless you're drafting an elite player, or a 1st round RB/LB, expecting a big impact out of your rookies is asking too much.

You could argue Prince could have been an impact type player as a rookie but he got injured and you just can't control that.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:12 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
I've always felt that unless you're drafting an elite player, or a 1st round RB/LB, expecting a big impact out of your rookies is asking too much.

You could argue Prince could have been an impact type player as a rookie but he got injured and you just can't control that.
Just angry because he was the last prospect to sign and first 1st rounder to get out. And with no mini camps and OTAs it makes it worse. Only we can manage to get our first rounders hurt.

From Ross, to Kiwi, to KP and now Prince. We should wrap JPP in bubble wrap like in the movie Little Giants.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:18 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Well you can't predict injuries. Prince will be back shortly and the Austin thing is just bad luck. Brewer we took so we could throw him into our minor league offensive line system we have going.

You could have said we wasted a 2nd round pick on Joseph last year because he didn't play but look at how giddy we all are now about him(I might be 90% of the giddyness).
No, I'm with you on the Joseph bandwagon. He's a beast.

I'm not worried about our defense. We actually had a decent game defensively in spite of Fewell's ineptitude and starting a rookie MIKE unexpectedly. The downfall of our defense was our inability to cover the TE, and that had a lot to do with the LB core, Jones in particular.

The offense is looking scary bad though.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:20 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Just angry because he was the last prospect to sign and first 1st rounder to get out. And with no mini camps and OTAs it makes it worse. Only we can manage to get our first rounders hurt.

From Ross, to Kiwi, to KP and now Prince. We should wrap JPP in bubble wrap like in the movie Little Giants.
Other than LB, there isn't any defensive players we should consider drafting. Unless Kenny Phillips looks washed up, then maybe you consider safety too, but I doubt it.

My list of needs as of right now:

LB (both OLB and ILB)
WR
TE
Pass catching RB

That's pretty much it. We are stacked with talent on this team, we're just creamed by injuries and we have a bad coaching staff.

But I agree that we need to add a lot more skill position talent to this offense.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:21 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
No, I'm with you on the Joseph bandwagon. He's a beast.

I'm not worried about our defense. We actually had a decent game defensively in spite of Fewell's ineptitude and starting a rookie MIKE unexpectedly. The downfall of our defense was our inability to cover the TE, and that had a lot to do with the LB core, Jones in particular.

The offense is looking scary bad though.
Yeah but the O will improve, we just don't know how much or when. On D I'm not sure we have a solution for defending TEs other than Boley and taking away his blitzing for his not as impressive coverage is not an idea I'm in love with.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Old 09-13-2011, 03:26 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Yeah but the O will improve, we just don't know how much or when. On D I'm not sure we have a solution for defending TEs other than Boley and taking away his blitzing for his not as impressive coverage is not an idea I'm in love with.
Speaking of blitzing LBs, I was disappointed in Kiwi. He had plenty of chances at the qb, he was blitzing very often out of the SAM spot, but he never got there. He got a couple of hurries, but nothing to really stand out.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:28 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Other than LB, there isn't any defensive players we should consider drafting. Unless Kenny Phillips looks washed up, then maybe you consider safety too, but I doubt it.

LB (both OLB and ILB)
WR
TE
Pass catching RB

That's pretty much it. We are stacked with talent on this team, we're just creamed by injuries and we have a bad coaching staff.

But I agree that we need to add a lot more skill position talent to this offense.

Well pass catching RB is fine but if we don't utilize him, then what's the point? Bradshaw had a high percentage of passes caught. I remember seeing a stat for that.

WR is fine, and a TE. But we need a WR who can get this system. We have talent at WR. Either change the system or draft players who can 'get" this system and their associated routes.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:29 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

LB (both OLB and ILB)
WR
TE
Pass catching RB

TE and a pass catching RB only become a need if we revamp the coaching staff. I always recall people saying that Bradshaw was actually a pretty good pass catcher, but we just rarely ask it of our RB's.

TE is just a waste in our offense. At best, it's a guy like Boss who was just a safety valve (but a very useful one as we're seeing now). It's too bad, because as you said a couple days ago, a great TE can be absolutely unstoppable and a fantastic weapon for a QB.

I'd sell my soul for Antonio Gates. What he does at the TE position is just stupidly good.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:36 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I'm guessing if we don't make the playoffs, we'll have a new coaching staff.

And if we do make the playoffs, then our issues probably aren't as major as they seem right now.

So it all really depends on how the season shapes up. But my guess is, if we don't make the playoffs, Coughlin is done. And then all bets are off on what happens next.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:40 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

I still don't think he gets fired. If he does that means new system! Then we can see what the deal is. But another DC change then? How do you develop defensive players with that much turnover?
Old 09-13-2011, 03:43 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
I still don't think he gets fired. If he does that means new system! Then we can see what the deal is. But another DC change then? How do you develop defensive players with that much turnover?
That's why I want a defensive head coach. That way the defense will have consistency, and also Eli will have more freedom offensively. I think a defensive coach wouldn't micromanage the offense.

If I had to pick a guy, right now I have my eye on Mike Zimmer. 4-3 guy who uses a lot of man coverage. Tough, Parcells disciple, years of experience.

It's impossible to say who you want though when all of us don't know 90% of the coaches out there on the market.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:48 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
That's why I want a defensive head coach. That way the defense will have consistency, and also Eli will have more freedom offensively. I think a defensive coach wouldn't micromanage the offense.

If I had to pick a guy, right now I have my eye on Mike Zimmer. 4-3 guy who uses a lot of man coverage. Tough, Parcells disciple, years of experience.

It's impossible to say who you want though when all of us don't know 90% of the coaches out there on the market.
Well you have HC, who once their HC, tend to sit back in a CEO or manager like position where the 2 coordinators do their own thing. Do you want that or do you want the HC to be a DC too?
Old 09-13-2011, 03:55 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Well you have HC, who once their HC, tend to sit back in a CEO or manager like position where the 2 coordinators do their own thing. Do you want that or do you want the HC to be a DC too?
No I want the HC to be the DC as well. All the best defensive HCs are also their own DCs. Bellichick, Rex, Spags as a few examples.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:17 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
No I want the HC to be the DC as well. All the best defensive HCs are also their own DCs. Bellichick, Rex, Spags as a few examples.
That's good, but then you need a VERY good offensive coach because chances are the HC/DC won't worry or care too much to want to get involved on that side of the ball..

I thought Josh M called a terrible game in the superbowl. Bill B was too worried about coaching the defense that he didn't tell Josh M. stop with the 5 and 7 step drop back. You're getting Brady killed.

Rex all he talks about is his defense, sometimes you want to say, hey rex, you are the HC. Defensive is just one aspect of the team. You need to worry about the offense and special teams too.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's good, but then you need a VERY good offensive coach because chances are the HC/DC won't worry or care too much to want to get involved on that side of the ball..

I thought Josh M called a terrible game in the superbowl. Bill B was too worried about coaching the defense that he didn't tell Josh M. stop with the 5 and 7 step drop back. You're getting Brady killed.

Rex all he talks about is his defense, sometimes you want to say, hey rex, you are the HC. Defensive is just one aspect of the team. You need to worry about the offense and special teams too.
I don't believe that to be true for one second. Bill is very hands on with his offense.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:29 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
I don't believe that to be true for one second. Bill is very hands on with his offense.
Not that game, if he was someone dropped the ball. His OL couldn't pass protect and yet they kept dropping back for 5 and 7 steps concept passing plays.

When they went to a quick game they were successful against us moving the ball. And then he'd go back to the game plan of 5 and 7 step drops and Brady kept getting owned. I remember because I was wondering what the hell was the OC thinking.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:18 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Mike Zimmer is a good coach. I have nothing but good things to say about him. Defensive success also seems to follow him. But I wouldn't call him a Parcells disciple. Zimmer is a 4-3 guy who was forced to learn the 3-4 under Parcells. It's true that he wanted to learn from Parcells and turned down the opportunity to be the HC at Nebraska, but there came a point where Parcells I don't think they saw eye to eye...BP needed a 3-4 DC instead of one "learning on the job". As soon as Zim left Dallas he went back to the 4-3.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:43 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Props to Dan on BBI for posting this..

Well that could not be good if Tuck and Nicks couldn't go.

Quote:
Clayton: Nicks "in doubt" for Monday
DanMetroMan : 7:41 pm
ESPN's John Clayton confirms that Hakeem Nicks' status is "in doubt" for Week 2.
Clayton is confirming a New York Daily News report that Nicks is "at best, uncertain" for Monday night's game against the Rams. "The knee is day to day but there is definite concern about this week," says Clayton. We're guessing that Domenik Hixon would start opposite Mario Manningham if Nicks can't go. Hixon could shape up as a nice "handcuff" waiver addition with St. Louis possibly missing both starting corners.
Source: Evan Silva on Twitter Sep 13 - 6:35 PM
Old 09-13-2011, 07:27 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Clayton is wrong on this I believe.

Also, if it's true that Coefield knew what play was coming on that Pick 6 because we haven't changed our audibles then heads need to roll. That's just inexcusable.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-13-2011, 11:46 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Speaking of blitzing LBs, I was disappointed in Kiwi. He had plenty of chances at the qb, he was blitzing very often out of the SAM spot, but he never got there. He got a couple of hurries, but nothing to really stand out.
I was really excited for him before the move to LB, then you got me excited about the potential there and now I'm still excited. He's still a more natural lineman than linebacker so playing the position for realzies is going to take him a little bit to adjust. That's what I think is a big part of why he let Tolly get the start at DE, because he understood how getting snaps at DE again would throw him off playing with his hand up. This joins the rest of our issues in the too soon to know pile and is something I'll worry about if the Eagles blow us out embarassingly leaving us 0-3.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-14-2011, 11:08 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Tuck is limited at practice today. Nicks and Osi are a no go.

sig by BoneKrusher