Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > St. Louis Rams Team Forum

St. Louis Rams Team Forum Discuss the Rams

Old 08-14-2011, 12:58 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What's the deal with Donnie Avery? Is he practicing? Working with the 2s?

- Ko Simpson
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:27 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
What's the deal with Donnie Avery? Is he practicing? Working with the 2s?
Combination of being worked back in slowly after last year's season-ending injury and he's also been limited with a hamstring issue.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:34 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
Combination of being worked back in slowly after last year's season-ending injury and he's also been limited with a hamstring issue.
Ugh. One of my keeper league teams was so bad I was considering keeping him at a cost of an 18th round pick. Screw that.

At least one of your WRs will be extremely valuable in fantasy. Josh McDaniels will do that.

Which one? You all tell me...

- Ko Simpson
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:53 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beano View Post
I only watched until it was 10-3, as the first pre season game is about as much use as tits on a boar, but if you'd have told me Pat Shurmur was still our offensive coordinator I'd have believed you.

Kehl started at WLB fwiw and I still have no faith in Dahl, apart from grabbing a fairly fortuitous Int, he still consistently finds himself chasing runners and making terrible angles to ball carriers. I agree with you about the CB's but then I expected it.

Bring on week 1, or at least pre season week 3 so we can see some extended time for the the starters and really get a handle on where we are.

You really don't know what the preseason is about do you? Yeah lets open up the offense after two weeks of practicing. And after the starters left is when I became glued to the TV because that was when the real competition began, everyone fighting for a roster spot. The Final 53 is going to be a lot tougher than it's been in years past, Rams are actually going to have to cut some players that are decent nfl players and not just street guys. The Linebacker position really has me intrigued, if the Rams keep six linebackers someone will be cut we didn't expect.....The three I know will make the 53-man roster is Laurinities, Leber and chamberlain. The fourth one to make it is probably going to be Josh Hull, coaches rave about him and he's pretty much the only linebacker who has experience in the middle other than JL. So that leaves two spots or maybe three for Zac Diles, Brady Poppinga, Jabara Williams, Na'ill Diggs and Bryan Kehl.

Not sure why you don't like Craig Dahl, he is our best run stopper at the safety position. That's another battle to watch, Darian Stewart has really stepped up and looked pretty good out there last night. I'm just glad James Butler isn't starting anymore, now if Spags knows what's best, he would send Butler packing.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:38 AM    (permalink
Beano
Rookie

Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
You really don't know what the preseason is about do you? Yeah lets open up the offense after two weeks of practicing. And after the starters left is when I became glued to the TV because that was when the real competition began, everyone fighting for a roster spot. The Final 53 is going to be a lot tougher than it's been in years past, Rams are actually going to have to cut some players that are decent nfl players and not just street guys. The Linebacker position really has me intrigued, if the Rams keep six linebackers someone will be cut we didn't expect.....The three I know will make the 53-man roster is Laurinities, Leber and chamberlain. The fourth one to make it is probably going to be Josh Hull, coaches rave about him and he's pretty much the only linebacker who has experience in the middle other than JL. So that leaves two spots or maybe three for Zac Diles, Brady Poppinga, Jabara Williams, Na'ill Diggs and Bryan Kehl.

Not sure why you don't like Craig Dahl, he is our best run stopper at the safety position. That's another battle to watch, Darian Stewart has really stepped up and looked pretty good out there last night. I'm just glad James Butler isn't starting anymore, now if Spags knows what's best, he would send Butler packing.
I'll ignore the cheapshot, because I'm too nice a person and move on.

I didn't expect the full offense with bells and whistles, I expected to see a flash, a spark, a single play, that was all. What we got was the same stuff that people slated Shurmur week in and week out for. Plus remember, this was all happening around 2 am on a choppy stream, it's real hard for me to be as enthusiastic about the struggles of the guys fighting for roster spots or those that are likely going to end up on ST in that situation. I am however, planning on watching, so I'll be able to enjoy the battles at a more reasonable hour soon though. The week 3 pre season game, I will be glued to, because generally that gives you more of an idea of what to expect.

As for Craig Dahl, I cannot agree at all. First, Mikkel is our best safety period. Anything a safety needs to do he's better at it than anyone else on our roster. Second, I don't even consider him good in run support, he consistently takes poor angles on runners (best examples I can think of was v Chiefs last year), he makes a lot of tackles, but he misses plenty as well (best example probably @ Seahawks last year, 4 in total that game I believe). I won't ever fault his effort, because he's clearly a trier, but when I watch him, I saw the same mistakes on those few plays I saw on Saturday, that he consistently made last year. Maybe with some real quality in Mikkel back there people will notice it more, but then again people still think Atogwe was a poor tackler, even though the stats say otherwise. So who knows.

Last edited by Beano : 08-15-2011 at 05:49 AM.
Beano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:25 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Atogwe was weak sauce in the run game. It was one of the main reasons the Rams decided to let him go.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:34 PM    (permalink
Beano
Rookie

Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Atogwe averaged 1 miss tackle for near enough every 21 attempted, which was the 4th best ratio in the NFL in terms of defensive backs over the last 3 years.

If Atogwe is weak sauce, Dahl is water.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:38 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
Atogwe averaged 1 miss tackle for near enough every 21 attempted, which was the 4th best ratio in the NFL in terms of defensive backs over the last 3 years.

If Atogwe is weak sauce, Dahl is water.
Where are you getting these stats from? I strongly disagree with them.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:04 PM    (permalink
Beano
Rookie

Quote:
Where are you getting these stats from? I strongly disagree with them.
Here.

It's probably the best stat site on the net for the NFL imo. Some good news and bad news on that article though, Bradley Fletcher comes out well, Chris Long, Ben Leber and Brady Poppinga not so much. DB's are the bottom of the page. In fact, that's me doing a disservice to Fletcher, he comes out very very well.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:17 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some thoughts on the Rams’ pre-season win over the Tennessee Titans.

-The first team offense was stagnant aside from the opening play. Sam Bradford had to love the sight of Brandon Gibson streaking wide open down the middle of the field. 83-yard pass plays don’t get much better than that. Unfortunately, the rest of the game wasn’t as easy. Protection broke down, and no one made adjustments to blitzing defenders. Sam’s INT was tipped at the line before it reached Sims-Walker, suggesting there may not have been a clear throwing window. Feeley had an impressive touchdown pass to Donnie Avery but was rather quiet the rest of the night. Thaddeus Lewis played the hero by showing good poise and mobility leading the offense at the end of the game.

-Steven Jackson made his debut, and didn’t really show much. Some tough running with little room to go, but there was a clear difference in urgency when Cadillac Williams entered the game. Caddy definitely hit the holes with more downfield quickness. Neither Norwood nor Toston did much, there just wasn’t much room to run. Even on screen passes, the blocking was not well developed enough to take advantage. Blitz pick-up looked like an issue for the whole RB unit.

-It was nice to see some other Rams receivers get involved, even though it may only be in baby steps. Gibson and Amendola remained the two top targets. Mike Sims-Walker had an up and down night. A nice catch on an intermediate in route, but otherwise not much positive for him. Pettis did very little in the passing game. Near the end of the game, Salas made a boneheaded drop on a perfect pass by Lewis, but then came back to make some nice grabs. Kendricks was quiet tonight. Gilyard showed some nice elusiveness on special teams and on a late-game crossing route. He’s trying to make this team any way he can. Danario Alexander had a solid catch and run on a quick hit adjustment route, but did nothing else. Donnie Avery had a nice body catch on his touchdown reception, and had a nice WR screen that was called back due to penalty. Slowly some guys are getting involved, but the first team offense still leaned heavily on Gibson/Amendola.

-The offensive line, simply put, did not have a good night. Pass protection started off strong, but deteriorated quickly. Sam took a beating and limped off the field at one point, though he looked to be okay. The holes in the running game were just not there, and you can’t blame it all on Jacob Bell not being in the game. The Titans were not as easy to push around as the Colts, and the Rams struggled all night to control the line of scrimmage. Hank Fraley looked lost at left guard, but the Rams weren’t able to put Goldberg there due to him being needed elsewhere on the line. Renardo Foster was called for a personal foul penalty that negated DX’s catch and run.

-The defensive line seemed intent on matching the offensive line’s ineffectiveness. Tennessee had their way with all units of the defensive line, pushing them around, establishing a new line of scrimmage, creating big holes in the running game. There was little to no pressure on Matt Hasselbeck from the defensive line; the Rams’ only sack of the game came on an early James Laurinaitis blitz. So, this unit has a lot of film to watch after tonight. Robert Quinn, George Selvie, and Darell Scott had some solid plays later in the game, but nothing to drastically change the tone of the night for this crew, which was rather negative.

-With the DL getting pushed around, you would have liked to see the linebackers step up and fill the holes, preventing big gains. Well, that didn’t happen. James Laurinaitis looked pretty solid tonight, and Kehl had some good moments early, but the rest of the crew was rather spotty at best. The Titans gashed the Rams consistently with cutback runs on slant plays, and the Rams had little to no consistent backside containment. There are a lot of new bodies here, but none are really standing out. If anything, Poppinga is hustling so there’s that. Diles had a nice hit late in the game. To be continued on this unit, as there’s still some work to do.

-The defensive backs, what can you say. Hasselbeck was 7 for 9 before leaving the game, so he wasn’t having much trouble completing passes. The Rams struggled to cover the tight end tonight. There weren’t many positives that stood out. The defense tightened up once Tennessee got into the red zone, but the defensive backfield shared the front seven’s inconsistency. Quintin Mikell, Justin King, and Darian Stewart all whiffed on notable open field tackle opportunities. King later had some solid moments in run support, but he makes me nervous as a third corner. Dinkins was inconsistent as well. Jonathan Nelson had a few stand out moments towards the end and may earn himself a spot.

-Not much to say about the kicking game. The Rams’ special teams were solid all night long. Donnie Jones punted the ball well, the Rams covered fairly well, and the return game showed some flashes. Mardy Gilyard had some nice moments both in coverage and on returns. Josh Brown was Mr. Dependable on the game-winning field goal, even after being iced (preseason!).

If we’ve learned one thing, it’s probably that installing a new offense with limited offseason practices is going to take some time. They’re not always going to come as easy as Gibson being wide open by 20-yards in all directions. The Rams still looked hesitant to challenge the intermediate part of the field. They need to continue to work on their screen game, as those plays largely failed every time they were drawn up. The lines were challenged more tonight than against the Colts, and didn’t really come through. The run defense tonight was concerning to say the least.

But the Rams squeaked out a win because (1) their red zone defense kept forcing Tennessee to kick field goals and (2) Thaddeus Lewis marched the third stringers down the field in order to secure a winning field goal. This wasn’t the shellacking performance so many were excited about last week, but the feedback from this contest may be more valuable in helping the Rams prepare for the regular season.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:25 PM    (permalink
Beano
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
-The defensive backs, what can you say. Hasselbeck was 7 for 9 before leaving the game, so he wasn’t having much trouble completing passes. The Rams struggled to cover the tight end tonight.
I agree with a lot you said, I'm going to pull you up on this though. I've only watched the first half, but I can comment on the bit on bold. I believe his 2 incompletion's came when he threw at Fletcher, and the only pass you could maybe put on any of the DB's was a pass to the TE which the camera didn't get very well (around 7mins to play in the 2nd Q). It looked like we were playing zone, the LB's bit and there was nobody near him, think Stewart might have been the nearest DB to him. All the other completions were to the TE/RB/FB all covered by the LB's. Which doesn't surprise me, as I think I said I expect that to be a weakness all year. I was actually impressed with the coverage of Fletcher and Bartell (The Locker pass that he allowed to be completed was poor admittedly) generally, and it was a marked improvement over what we saw last week.

As I said, I only watched the first half, but 1's v 1's, we lost the trenches big time, which was concerning. The consistent over pursuing was a concern as well. Kehl annoyed me, he made a couple of nice plays and I started thinking "maybe he's the guy for WLB after all", then would follow it up with a play that left me wondering what the hell he was doing.

I'll watch the 2nd half during the week sometime, I wasn't one that came signing and dancing about the few positives of last week (dominating the trenches against the Colts is the norm, ask Manning), so the negatives of last night I'll take with similar apathy.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:38 AM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Um, yeah, not exactly as great as the first week. But we won, I don't really care how it happens. In the regular season, if we have more points than the other guys, I am happy. So pre-season won't be different. Saw and heard good things. Its nice to see a big play like that by our offense at the beginning of the game. Hopefully, we will be able to sustain things like that in the regular season as opposed to as NGSeiler said getting stagnent and not doing a whole heck of a lot outside of a few big plays. As far as the D and special teams, we only allowed 16 points. Yeah we allowed plays to the TE, but I think if we can fix that up, and we should be able to, we'll be just fine.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:36 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't give up on Salas!
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:16 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I was actually impressed with the coverage of Fletcher and Bartell (The Locker pass that he allowed to be completed was poor admittedly) generally, and it was a marked improvement over what we saw last week.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodapoop View Post
As far as the D and special teams, we only allowed 16 points. Yeah we allowed plays to the TE, but I think if we can fix that up, and we should be able to, we'll be just fine.
That's a fair point. For as badly as the Rams were being slashed in the run game, their red zone defense really tightened up and played well.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:57 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Don't give up on Salas!
He'll for sure make the team, probably as the 5th Receiver. He's looked a lot better than 3rd round pick Austin Pettis.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:00 AM    (permalink
Beano
Rookie

Quote:
He'll for sure make the team, probably as the 5th Receiver. He's looked a lot better than 3rd round pick Austin Pettis.
Agreed.

Whilst it's tough to judge on such a small sample size, Pettis has probably been the biggest disappointment out of all the receivers likely to get a spot on the roster. He'll still make the roster, but I'd have him bottom of the depth chart unless he can pick it up over the next couple of weeks.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:21 PM    (permalink
Beano
Rookie

That first drive, the back to back penalties aside, was very good. Couple of nice throws and nice to see the line getting some push and Jackson attacking the holes again.

Defense time. That was equally enjoyable. Great play on the ball by Mikell followed by Hall getting the sack.

Last edited by Beano : 08-26-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:16 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

I was hopped up on cold medicine and groggily watched the first half, but overall I thought they were impressive on both sides of the ball. It was a nice adjustment after some of the miscues from last week.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:00 PM    (permalink
ArkyRamsFan
Veteran

ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well it's official!! The Rams have just re-signed Mark Clayton. Now the question is what to do with him....Is his knee well enough to try to practice or is he going to visit the PUP list?

We'll know sooner rather than later...
ArkyRamsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:09 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

PUP list. I doubt he's healthy now; plus, it's a strange time to sign him if you aren't stashing him on PUP.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:33 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

From Howard Balzer...

Quote:
Rams cuts now official: CB Tim Atchison, WR Donnie Avery, TE Demarco Cosby, LB Zac Diles, CB Tae Evans, DT Marlon Favorite, T Renardo Foster, WR Mardy Gilyard, DT John Henderson, G Kevin Hughes, QB Thaddeus Lewis, WR Greg Mathews, T Ryan McKee, DT Daniel Muir, S Jonathan Nelson, G Quinn Ojinnaka, TE Fendi Onobun, RB Chase Reynolds, DE George Selvie, RB Keith Toston, WR Mark Clayton on reserve/PUP

Last edited by NGSeiler : 09-03-2011 at 06:08 PM.
NGSeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:17 AM    (permalink
Beano
Rookie

I'm not Avery's biggest fan, in fact with the amount of times I saw "missing Donnie Avery" mentioned about our offense last year, he's probably been overrated, but I'm surprised he's not made it.

I got a feeling Shurmur might take a chance on him though.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:18 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

I'm actually a big fan of Avery's and think he can be a good #2 Receiver. I remember his rookie year when we were garbage and he had Marc Bulger throwing to him he had a 4 or 5 game stretch where he looked awesome. Remember that game vs the patriots in his rookie season?

He looked good last year in preseason before he got hurt. I was thinking ok now he's got a Quarterback throwing him the ball and not some scared little girl doing it, we're gonna see what Averys got now.

Avery went unclaimed today so we are stuck with his $638,750 salary for this season and $1.095 million cap hit.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:41 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Yeah, I would have kept Avery over Danario simply because I think Danario's chronic injury situation is worse than Avery's injury issues, giving Avery a better chance of actually being a consistent contributor. But the Rams seem to love them some DX, so I guess they're okay with draining his knee after every game and seeing if he can contribute on the field.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:17 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Darius Butler cornerback was cut by the Patriots earlier today, would of been a nice pick up but he was picked up by the Panthers.