Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 03-08-2011, 07:50 PM    (permalink
the natural
Veteran

the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural

It seemed more like a gab session. He didn't start to throw until 5 P.M. I think personal were there from about 8 A.M. Apparently he and the pot bellied guru, George, were in Miami all of last week polishing the image and the product with IMG Marketing. Shows where their priorities lie. These guys all want to get rich as of last week, and are all looking for the shortest route to a life of decadence.
the natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:54 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Probably a lot more teams praying he slips a little or a lot.
It was an extremely windy day at Auburn's pro day and you could not but be liking the zip on his arm , as for the misses, it was an extremely hard day to be accurate so I wouldn't put much into 10 misses.
What impresses me is his determination to be great, he'll workout without hesitation and continues to try and get better. That is what you need to succeed at the next level.
I was referring to the teams that would get a better player on their board fall if a QB or two were to go in the top few picks.

As for him wanting to workout that is what the pro day is for, he could have run the 40 but passed on that. I give him credit for doing everything at the combine, Gabbert looked rather foolish by not throwing.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:55 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metafour View Post
Take into account that it was fairly windy in Auburn today...was up to 14 MPH around 4pm which should have been around when he was throwing.
I'll have to go check my doppler radar and get the exact mph for wind. It seemed fine out there while i was watching it.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:56 PM    (permalink
metafour
Veteran

metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
14... and the average for the day was a mighty 9.

Are people seriously going to say this is a valid reason for him to be inaccurate?

While we're at it, the sun was probably in his eyes, so we better account for that too.

God forbid he plays in a game where the wind gets up to gusts of 25-40
It is absolutely a factor. Sam Bradford's Pro Day was indoors last year. So was Matt Ryan's. It doesn't have to be a monsoon to make an impact; and you're comparing windy conditions to two Pro Days that were held indoors in absolutely perfect conditions.
metafour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:59 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It is absolutely a factor. Sam Bradford's Pro Day was indoors last year. So was Matt Ryan's. It doesn't have to be a monsoon to make an impact; and you're comparing windy conditions to two Pro Days that were held indoors in absolutely perfect conditions.
I'm not comparing anything. I didn't mention anyone else's workout.

What I am saying is if he can't be accurate when he's rehearsed the workout, with players he's familiar with, against air, and can't be accurate because of a slight breeze especially with how strong his arm is, how is he going to be accurate with defenders on the field, in the pocket, and in the wind, rain, or snow.

Football is almost never played at 100%, because of injuries, weather, etc. The weather isn't perfect? Deal with it.

If you are seriously going to say this is a viable excuse, then the Bengals and Bills should take him off their draft board entirely

Last edited by wonderbredd24 : 03-08-2011 at 08:02 PM.
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:02 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wait - i'm hearing he was 54/60 ....
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:02 PM    (permalink
metafour
Veteran

metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What I am saying is if he can't be accurate when he's rehearsed the workout, with players he's familiar with, against air, and can't be accurate because of a slight breeze especially with how strong his arm is, how is he going to be accurate with defenders on the field, in the pocket, and in the wind, rain, or snow.
Seems like every report has been very positive to me.

ESPN: Cam Newton shows accuracy at pro day
Mayock: Cam Newton's pro day workout drew rave reviews from Mike Mayock on Tuesday.
Gil Brandt: Newton’s pro day shows why he should go No. 1
Old 03-08-2011, 08:08 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Seems like every report has been very positive to me.

ESPN: Cam Newton shows accuracy at pro day
Mayock: Cam Newton's pro day workout drew rave reviews from Mike Mayock on Tuesday.
Gil Brandt: Newton’s pro day shows why he should go No. 1
This is what I expected... I am waiting for someone to come out and declare this is the greatest workout they've ever seen which seems to happen on a yearly basis for one of the quarterbacks.

I was going off the 50/60 claim, which is why I added if true

Of course Mayock will freely admit that the greatest workout he's ever seen was... JaMarcus Russell
Old 03-08-2011, 08:14 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This is what I expected... I am waiting for someone to come out and declare this is the greatest workout they've ever seen which seems to happen on a yearly basis for one of the quarterbacks.

I was going off the 50/60 claim, which is why I added if true

Of course Mayock will freely admit that the greatest workout he's ever seen was... JaMarcus Russell
I don't think anybody is comparing Newton to Russell as far as determination to be great is concerned or to Gabbert for that matter.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:17 PM    (permalink
FuzzyGopher
Pro Bowler

FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

50/60 is the correct number, there were 2 or 3 drops and the rest were legit incompletions. There was a little bit of wind but not enough dramatically affect his passes. He looked ok, he wasn't terrible and he wasn't great. The whole thing is pretty overrated in my opinion. Everything was rehearsed and planned and didn't really answer any questions most teams probably have about him.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:17 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

Quote:
I don't think anybody is comparing Newton to Russell as far as determination to be great is concerned or to Gabbert for that matter.
You're missing the point. I am of the opinion that pro day workouts for quarterbacks are just about worthless because it is basically a highlight tape.

But, if Newton blew his workout away, it will truly be legendary because he was forced to brave the elements that included... 14 mph gusts

The fact alone should boost his stock
Old 03-08-2011, 08:18 PM    (permalink
metafour
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyGopher View Post
50/60 is the correct number, there were 2 or 3 drops and the rest were legit incompletions. There was a little bit of wind but not enough dramatically affect his passes. He looked ok, he wasn't terrible and he wasn't great. The whole thing is pretty overrated in my opinion. Everything was rehearsed and planned and didn't really answer any questions most teams probably have about him.
Great expert opinion which contradicts everyone who was actually there.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:21 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

Quote:
Indeed... little bit of wind is an unfair characterization.

They were actually gale force winds that would put a piece of straw through a tree.

Fortunately, Cam Newton's arm was so strong, his throws pierced the wind like a hot knife through butter.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:24 PM    (permalink
metafour
Veteran

Quote:
Indeed... little bit of wind is an unfair characterization.

They were actually gale force winds that would put a piece of straw through a tree.

Fortunately, Cam Newton's arm was so strong, his throws pierced the wind like a hot knife through butter.
Herp derp. Why so ruined?
Old 03-08-2011, 08:24 PM    (permalink
ThePudge
Pro Bowler

ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Except for every pro and former pro scout will tell you they've NEVER seen a bad pro day from a Quarterback. Every single QB will out-do their Combine with their Pro Day.

All Newton did today is show up, showcase improving* footwork/mechanics, and throw his short-intermediate passes with more accuracy than he did in Indy. This day affects his stock in no way, but it's nice to see that he fared better than he did in front of cameras/evaluators in Indy. Still, he entered the day a Top 5 pick and the favorite to go #1, and that's how he'll be seen at the end of the day as well.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
- For daily NFL draft coverage:
www.twitter.com/ryanlownes
ThePudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:26 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
I watched pretty much the whole thing and i agree with Fuzzy, it was good but i wasnt totally blown away.

Cam did well, i thought he answered some questions about making all the throws and his drops from center. He doesnt look all that accurate throwing on the run and his long balls are iffy but overall i'd say if you like him there are a lot of things that you can take away.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:26 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It must be hard to have touch when Dorothy and Toto and houses are flying around in your way.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:30 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm not comparing anything. I didn't mention anyone else's workout.

Football is almost never played at 100%, because of injuries, weather, etc. The weather isn't perfect? Deal with it.

If you are seriously going to say this is a viable excuse, then the Bengals and Bills should take him off their draft board entirely
Lots of QB prospects workout indoors. I say it says something about Newton that he chose to work outdoors on a windy day. It was hardly a slight breeze.
Again, I say that Newton and Gabbert are only juniors and hardly finished products, some people will automatically downgrade them because they are raw, but if you ever hope to get a franchise QB and continue to pass on junior QB's, you could be waiting years and years for the right guy.
Charley Casserly(Sp.), the ex GM of the Houston Texans, hates Newton but he took David Carr #1 overall so maybe his opinion on QB's could be shaky.
Mayock will probably end up with Newton, #2 on his list(he's #3 right now), and he has a pretty solid resume on drafting QB's.
I like what Newton brings to the table as well as what Gabbert has to offer, I realize both are juniors and both will need an extra year to adjust but I feel that their upside warrants drafting them extremely high IMO. The position is simply too important to pass on these guys and I think the teams that do so will be crying for passing on them similar to how Miami is feeling today. Is there a risk, you bet there is but for me the rewards are too high to pass on.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:31 PM    (permalink
FuzzyGopher
Pro Bowler

FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Care to elaborate? Or do you just want to sound like an asshole and provide no insight or opinion to this conversation?
Old 03-08-2011, 08:32 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

Quote:
Lots of QB prospects workout indoors. I say it says something about Newton that he chose to work outdoors on a windy day. It was hardly a slight breeze.
There it is... this right here is the spin of legends

Not only is the wind (14mph? Are you listening, Chicago?) a valid excuse, it actually enhances him as a prospect
Old 03-08-2011, 08:34 PM    (permalink
the natural
Veteran

the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural

Quote:
Again, I say that Newton and Gabbert are only juniors and hardly finished products, some people will automatically downgrade them because they are raw, but if you ever hope to get a franchise QB and continue to pass on junior QB's, you could be waiting years and years for the right guy.
Charley Casserly(Sp.), the ex GM of the Houston Texans, hates Newton but he took David Carr #1 overall so maybe his opinion on QB's could be shaky.
Mayock will probably end up with Newton, #2 on his list(he's #3 right now), and he has a pretty solid resume on drafting QB's.
I like what Newton brings to the table as well as what Gabbert has to offer, I realize both are juniors and both will need an extra year to adjust but I feel that their upside warrants drafting them extremely high IMO. The position is simply too important to pass on these guys and I think the teams that do so will be crying for passing on them similar to how Miami is feeling today. Is there a risk, you bet there is but for me the rewards are too high to pass on.
Agree for the most part. Although, the Auburn pro day has been set for a year or so, I don't know that Newt deserves credit for "choosing to work outdoors on a windy day". It was hardly his choice. Casserly and Mayock are on the money as far as the instincts and vision are concerned. But I think that Gabbert may be ahead in that department. Especially with the time he is getting in with Terry Shea.
the natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:37 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not that anyone knows off the top, but IMO it's unusual for top QB prospects to workout outdoors.

Cam ain't scared!!!!
Old 03-08-2011, 08:41 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

[quote=wonderbredd24;2547593]You're missing the point. I am of the opinion that pro day workouts for quarterbacks are just about worthless because it is basically a highlight tape.

I am in complete disagreement with you on this point. Pro scouts and GM's aren't going to use a pro day workout as the be all and end all of a player's assessment, Al Davis being an exception.
They aren't worthless in the least. A pro day shows off a QB's arm strength, you cannot hide that like so many college HC's do when running their system.
Pro teams are going to invite Newton to workout for them privately, where he will have to continue to showcase his skills for their scouts and GM's.
You cannot hide from weaknesses in your foot speed or your ability to drop back quickly or from defects in your throwing motion.
Your athletic skills and defects will come through any practice. The mental aspects of the game is completely a side issue that have to be assessed elsewhere.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:01 PM    (permalink
Wrathman
Rookie

Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This workout did little to address the questions that are most asked about Newton other than to see some progression on his footwork as it relates to dropping back from under center. Those who love him still love him and those who don't did not see a reason to change their opinion today either.

Raise your hand if you learned today that Cam Newton had a strong arm. The comment that pro days expose arm strength when every throw from the previous season and most beyond that is on tape seems disingenuous at best.
Wrathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:01 PM    (permalink
JustDezIT
Rookie

JustDezIT is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJustDezIT is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJustDezIT is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJustDezIT is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJustDezIT is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJustDezIT is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJustDezIT is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJustDezIT is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJustDezIT is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJustDezIT is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJustDezIT is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Brooks Reed 1.54 10 yd split. Damn.
JustDezIT is offline   Reply With Quote