Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:39 AM    (permalink
SCSteeler
Veteran

SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I feel like we have more needs to fill this off season than we've had in a long time. For depth and the need for future starters.

What do you guys think the top 3 needs are?

OG, OT, DT, S, MLB, CB, RB? QB?
Old 01-25-2012, 06:47 AM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
Goose finally read your offseason. After all the about the Rbs and young WRs you want more of them in the draft? This has to be the year of the big uglies. OG, OT, NT, are a must and not in the later rounds. Other than that agree with the rest of the draft, need a return man, kicker, TE and could throw in S.
Definitely agree with the fact that we need to improve the trenches, but I felt that we are also in a position where we could improve the RB and WR position, given the talent and possible needs we might have. In any case, that was before Arians was given the boot, so I guess things will change now.

Maybe after mocking us a FB for like three straight years, we'll finally draft one, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSteeler View Post
I feel like we have more needs to fill this off season than we've had in a long time. For depth and the need for future starters.

What do you guys think the top 3 needs are?

OG, OT, DT, S, MLB, CB, RB? QB?
I'd rank them:

1. Interior O-Line - we have no true LG (Kemo will likely get cut and Legursky isn't a real guard), and Foster isn't exactly a great guard either.

2. DT - If Hampton is a cap casualty, this will be a MAJOR need. Hoke is retiring, meaning that the only NT we'd have is Steve McClendon, with Hood maybe sliding over.

3. MLB - Farrior and Foote are also major candidates to be cut, as both have cap charges over $3.5 million, and one isn't even a starter. I'd love to land Burfict to pair him with Timmons, that would be amazing.

4. S - At least we have good starters here. Troy is great, but he's old and with his style of play and injury concerns, he could start declining any day now. Clark is nothing spectacular, but he does his job well and Mundy has played well enough to replace him.

5. RB - Mendenhall is going to take some time to return to form, as it takes RBs longer to truly recover from an ACL tear, IMO. That leaves us with Redman, and then...who knows? Mewelde will probably be a cap casualty, Dwyer will battle Clay for the power runner spot, and we've yet to see Baron Batch play at all, since he didn't even play in the preseason. Add in the fact that Mendenhall is in his contract season, and we might have to pick up a RB somewhere.

6. OT - while our O-line could certainly use some improvements, I think we're pretty set at OT. Slide Gilbert over to LT with Colon returning at RT, and we might have a good set of tackles. The triceps injury for Colon might have been a blessing in disguise for us, as it ensured him more than enough time to truly recover from his achilles injury.

7. QB - not really a need, IMO. Leftwich will surely be back as our backup, and we can find a 3rd QB. Maybe we've already got one in Troy Smith or Jerrod Johnson. If not, we can pick someone up for the vet min.

WR would also be on this list, albeit low. If we switch to a more run-oriented offense, FB would/should be on the list.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:49 AM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mock.......

1.Kelechi Osemele OG Iowa State

2.Alameda Ta’amu DT Washington

3.Audie Cole LB North Carolina State

4.Jamell Fleming CB Oklahoma

5.Andrew Datko OT Florida State

6.Chris Rainey RB Florida

7.Thomas Mayo WR Cal PA

Thank you Lebron James, you are truly a King Among Men.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:15 PM    (permalink
lance uppercut
Rookie

lance uppercut is a cocksman.lance uppercut is a cocksman.lance uppercut is a cocksman.lance uppercut is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyStat View Post
Mock.......

1.Kelechi Osemele OG Iowa State

2.Alameda Ta’amu DT Washington

3.Audie Cole LB North Carolina State

4.Jamell Fleming CB Oklahoma

5.Andrew Datko OT Florida State

6.Chris Rainey RB Florida

7.Thomas Mayo WR Cal PA
love those first two picks, and was going to propose something similar. I think Osemele could slip down to the 2nd, but he has that positional flexibility that the tomlin staff values. Ta'amu, OTOH, might be a 1.24 pick for us after his week in mobile.

some combination of Ta'amu/Poe and Osamele/Zeitler in rounds 1-2 would get this draft off to a tremendous start.

ILB in round 3 seems very projectable to me right now - maybe Bobby Wagner? I think they're definitely going to want to add a starter-capable player there between now and camp, and a third rounder could compete well with a Sylvester/Foote.

BPA the rest of the way with an emphasis on OT & DB.
lance uppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:22 PM    (permalink
CDub
Veteran

CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kugler was on 93.7 the fan yesterday & said he does not want the OC job. I find it odd that someone would turn down a significant promotion in any career, but to each his own.

That leads me to believe the leading candidates are Fitchner & Caldwell.
CDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:24 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hoke retired and some have said that Aaron Smith could soon follow. :(
Old 01-26-2012, 02:30 PM    (permalink
CDub
Veteran

CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reports now say that Big Snack IS having surgery to repair his torn ACL - this is his 3rd such surgery and the 2nd on that same knee. With Hoke retiring & Snack coming off surgery, DT is quickly becoming a major priority. McClendon is nice & all but if we go into the season with him as our primary DT we're in trouble. And I'm not yet sold on Ziggy in middle either. In certain down & distances (2nd or 3rd & long mostly) he can reform well given that he may have more pass rush ability up the middle than Snack or McClendon but I still don't think he can take on a double team vs the run.
CDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:54 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDub View Post
Reports now say that Big Snack IS having surgery to repair his torn ACL - this is his 3rd such surgery and the 2nd on that same knee. With Hoke retiring & Snack coming off surgery, DT is quickly becoming a major priority. McClendon is nice & all but if we go into the season with him as our primary DT we're in trouble. And I'm not yet sold on Ziggy in middle either. In certain down & distances (2nd or 3rd & long mostly) he can reform well given that he may have more pass rush ability up the middle than Snack or McClendon but I still don't think he can take on a double team vs the run.
Yeah, just read about Big Snack. We're in an awkward spot to land a NT right now, IMO. Dontari Poe will probably be gone by 24, and Ta'amu might be a reach there.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 01-26-2012, 09:37 PM    (permalink
SCSteeler
Veteran

SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What about a young free agent NT?
Any out there?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:46 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSteeler View Post
What about a young free agent NT?
Any out there?
I read that Miami's Paul Soliai might not be resigned. He's not gonna be cheap though.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 01-27-2012, 06:05 AM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
Yeah, just read about Big Snack. We're in an awkward spot to land a NT right now, IMO. Dontari Poe will probably be gone by 24, and Ta'amu might be a reach there.
I've heard Ta'amu is rising, and maybe ahead of Poe for a lot of 3-4 teams now.

I wouldnt mind either tbh. As long as we address NT, OG, ILB and OT i'll be happy.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:20 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDub View Post
Kugler was on 93.7 the fan yesterday & said he does not want the OC job. I find it odd that someone would turn down a significant promotion in any career, but to each his own.

That leads me to believe the leading candidates are Fitchner & Caldwell.
good, he can keep telling us how talented jonathan scott is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
I read that Miami's Paul Soliai might not be resigned. He's not gonna be cheap though.
would be a great signing, but i think chapman or taamu in 2 would be more likely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
I've heard Ta'amu is rising, and maybe ahead of Poe for a lot of 3-4 teams now.

I wouldnt mind either tbh. As long as we address NT, OG, ILB and OT i'll be happy.
taamu rose during the year from a 4th to a potential 1st, i still dont see it personally. hes not THAT type of NT you take in the first like bj raji, phil taylor, ect...poe is though just cause his potential is through the roof.

i really hope al woods can shake the "raw" label and just play already

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:27 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chapman has a knee injury and will be out for 4 months. I think we could get Chapman potentially late second day, maybe even the third now.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:26 AM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

jim wexell brought up a good point on his twitter today..

casey hampton only averaged ~30something snaps a game when healthy..

kind of overrates the position when you think about it, no?

especially with so many teams going 3/4wr early and forcing us into nickle

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:35 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop05 View Post
jim wexell brought up a good point on his twitter today..

casey hampton only averaged ~30something snaps a game when healthy..

kind of overrates the position when you think about it, no?

especially with so many teams going 3/4wr early and forcing us into nickle
I agree with this. That makes Hood as our only down lineman when we do in fact get in that scheme.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:12 PM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines View Post
I agree with this. That makes Hood as our only down lineman when we do in fact get in that scheme.
Poe would be the best pick in that case then...some people view him as a 5-tech. In our scheme he could play any position...5-tech, on the nose and DT in nickel/dime situations. Would be a solid pick imo.

A rotation of Deisel, Heyward, Poe, Hood, McLendon and possibly Al Woods would be killer!
Old 01-27-2012, 05:36 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm more worried about OLB in that sense if are going to play a lot of nickle. At times we had no pass rush, we need guys to rotate to let guys catch their breath.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:37 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
Poe would be the best pick in that case then...some people view him as a 5-tech. In our scheme he could play any position...5-tech, on the nose and DT in nickel/dime situations. Would be a solid pick imo.

A rotation of Deisel, Heyward, Poe, Hood, McLendon and possibly Al Woods would be killer!
still pimpin al woods..

i can dig it

Old 01-28-2012, 03:54 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Tomlin had breakfast with Jim Caldwell, while Bruce Arians was hired as the new OC for the Colts.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 01-28-2012, 04:06 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

poor colts fans.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:16 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Arians would probably have had better luck with his offense if he had Manning, but the way that team is going to be rebuilding I don't like that hire at all. Pagano must have saw something he liked when he coached against Arians though.

I really don't want the Steelers to hire Caldwell. I just don't have a good feeling about that one.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:51 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Looks like Keith Butler is going to the Colts to be their DC. I hope Kevin Greene comes back as the full time LB coach.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:55 AM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Quote:
Looks like Keith Butler is going to the Colts to be their DC. I hope Kevin Greene comes back as the full time LB coach.

****, ****, ****. He probably got tired of waiting for LeBeau to hang them up.

I'd love Greene, but isn't he the LB coach for GB right now?

This offseason is going to be rough.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 01-29-2012, 11:01 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Greene is the OLB coach for the Packers therefore coming to Pittsburgh would be a promotion.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:05 AM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Quote:
Greene is the OLB coach for the Packers therefore coming to Pittsburgh would be a promotion.
Oh, well that's good, I guess. I know he worked with Woodley and Harrison the season both started to beast, so I hope we get him.

Props to clover_jeez!