Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:09 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here are some things about Taze:

After watching "a bunch of tape" on Arizona State ILB Vontaze Burfict recently, NFL Network's Mike Mayock believes Burfict is not worth a first-round pick in April's draft.
"I'm not a fan at all," said Mayock. "I just watched a bunch of his tape the other day. I came away unimpressed." Mayock said he tried to filter out Burfict's off- and on-field behavioral issues and graded him strictly off game tape. "His instincts aren't good," Mayock observed. "He gets enveloped by bigger bodies and he runs around blocks. I don't see first round at all."

One NFL scout told ESPN's Todd McShay that Arizona State ILB Vontaze Burfict was flagged for 17 personal fouls in his college career.
Burfict was a third-year junior before he declared for the draft, so the 17 personal foul penalties occurred only in a 35-game span. And that's not including other, lesser penalties. On-field character is a real concern for Burfict. His work ethic and 2011 performance have also been criticized by draftnik types.

According to SI.com's Tony Pauline, Arizona State ILB Vontaze Burfict was "soft and out of shape" when he reported to pre-Combine training in January, and is now dealing with a hamstring injury.
Pauline reports that NFL teams' biggest concern with Burfict is work ethic, and he apparently hasn't solved the issue ahead of the draft. Per Pauline, Burfict is unable to complete 15 reps on the 225-pound bench press with one week left before the Combine. After a poor junior season at Arizona State, Burfict's draft stock could be headed for free fall if he performs poorly in Indy.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:10 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
I would take Taze over almost anyone in the draft...i just like crazy bastards!

Im just not sure the Steelers would take him, the whole media fiasco surrounding James Harrison might put them off :(

If we dont land Taze, Nigel Bradham or Hightower would be my next choice at ILB.
Bradham is a crazy bastard. That dude hits hard.

Oh, and I wouldn't mind Hightower in the first at all.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:37 AM    (permalink
Santonio10
Veteran

Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't want Burfict honestly. We need more than someone who can hit hard. Instincts are very important for middle linebacker and many analysts are questioning them. We tend to shy away from guys like this so I don't see it happening anyway.

BoneKrusher

360 GT: iiidiiiot
Go AC Gators! 7-3 (4-2)
Santonio10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:08 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i just think taze has all the qualities i look for in a MLB....hes psychotic and dangerous and i love it.

mayocks rankings kinda blow this year imo. actually i dont think hes been too good the last few years. 15 reps would be surprising but i think he can do better than that.

i dont mind hightower...big imposing body at 6-4 260....can play inside and be a hammer or play ourside and rush the passer, or put his hand on the ground at DE. I am very curious to see his time, hes a great interior blitzer (as is timmons) and his speed has really improved since his injury but ive seen huim be so dismally slow off the snap im curious to see his numbers when it comes to speed and explosion
Old 02-16-2012, 10:21 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Here are a few MLBs I want in the draft who I think would be good fits for our defense:

Taze
Hightower
Bobby Wagner
Audie Cole (don't really want him, though)
Nigel Bradham
Mychal Kendricks
Jerry Franklin
Emmanuel Acho

If we were going to sign a free agent, I'd like Jonathan Goff from the Giants. He might be had at a nice bargain since he missed all last season with an ACL injury, but I think he could start for quite some time in Pittsburgh as he is only 26.

Another guy I wouldn't mind looking at is Philip Wheeler. He's only a 2 down guy, but a great run stopper and is also pretty young. With the Colts moving to a 34, I could see him staying there and getting paid pretty well too.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:00 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My problem with Hightower is that the Bama D players have gotten a lot of hype, but people fail to realize how much bigger they are then everyone around them and how much that D line dominates.

Everything he does is good, but how much is that him and how much is that of the system. AHhh that draft, and its mystery.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:19 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

More on Taze. Looks like he might fall ala Mallet last year.

According to NFL Network's Albert Breer, 6-7 NFL personnel evaluators told him to "take (Arizona State ILB Vontaze) Burfict out" when Breer drew up a first-round mock draft last month.
Per Breer, "the word is out" on Burfict, and he has "serious image recovery" to do at the Combine. Burfict was commonly mocked on ESPN at No. 29 overall to the Ravens as recently as late January. The media seems to be catching up with the NFL's evaluation of Burfict, and his stock is "falling" in the public eye.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:41 PM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not too worried about Hightower's speed, im sure he'll run faster than Brandon Spikes did, and Spikes is a baller (imo).

Is he as punishing and nasty as Spikes though? (the main reason i like spikes)
Old 02-16-2012, 03:46 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Here's some highlights on Bradham. I know I loved the first clip in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9RDfkvOMXU
Old 02-16-2012, 03:53 PM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm going to throw together a quick mock...i've really struggled so far, but i think this is pretty realistic.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:05 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

But McClain's turned out to be the slow one. Bama Lb with 3 big boys in front of him, and he was suppose to be faster than Spikes, even timed better I think.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:10 PM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
But McClain's turned out to be the slow one. Bama Lb with 3 big boys in front of him, and he was suppose to be faster than Spikes, even timed better I think.
He has a health condition that has caused that though...knee or back i believe.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:15 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

Quote:
He has a health condition that has caused that though...knee or back i believe.
I thought it was Crohns. He played really well with it in college.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:38 PM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

QUICK OFFSEASON/DRAFT

Round 1: Cordy Glenn - LG - Georgia - 6'5" - 340lbs
Round 2: Alameda Ta'amu - NT - Washington - 6'3" - 340lbs
Round 3 : Nigel Bradham - ILB - FSU - 6'3" - 240lbs
Round 4: Antonio Allen - FS - South Carolina - 6'2" - 205lbs
Round 5: Rishaw Johnson - OG/OT - Cal (PA) - 6'5" - 315lbs
Round 6: Dwight Bentley - CB - LA-Lafayette - 5'10" - 180lbs
Round 7: Carson Wiggs - K - Purdue
Round 7: Matt Conrath - DE - Virgina - 6'7" - 285lbs
Round 7: Matt Veldman - TE - North Dakota State - 6'7" - 260lbs

SIGN:

Le'Ron McLain - FB
Leonard Pope - TE

2012 DEPTH CHART:

QB: Ben Roethlisberger
QB: Byron Leftwich
QB: Troy Smith

RB: Rashard Mendenhall (PUP)
RB: Isaac Redman
RB: Jonathan Dwyer
RB: Baron Batch

FB: La'Ron McLain

TE: Heath Miller
TE: Leonard Pope
TE: David Johnson
TE: Wesley Saunders (SUSP)

WR: Mike Wallace
WR: Antonio Brown
WR: Emmanuel Sanders
WR: Jericho Cotchery
WR: Hines Ward (restructure)

LT: Marcus Gilbert
LT: Jonathan Scott (sigh)

LG: Cordy Glenn
LG: Rishaw Johnson

C: Maurkice Pouncey
C: Doug Legursky

RG: Ramon Foster
RG: Chris Scott

RT: Willie Colon
RT: Jonathan Scott

RE: Brett Keisel
RE: Cameron Heyward

NT: Alameda Ta'amu
NT: Steve McLendon

LE: Ziggy Hood
LE: Al Woods

ROLB: James Harrison
ROLB: Jason Worilds

RILB: Lawrence Timmons
RILB: Nigel Bradham

LILB: James Farrior/Stevenson Sylvester (rotating)
LILB: Mortty Ivy (STer)

LOLB: Lamarr Woodley
LOLB: Chris Carter

RCB: Ike Taylor
LCB: Keenan Lewis
NCB: Curtis Brown
DCB: Cortex Allen
No5 CB: Dwight Bentley

FS: Ryan Clark
FS: Antonio Allen

SS: Troy Polamalu
SS: Ryan Mundy

K: Carson Wiggs
P: Jeremy Kapinos
LS: Greg Warren

Practice squad additions...

Matt Conrath
Matt Veldman
Trevis Turner
Old 02-17-2012, 03:58 AM    (permalink
SCSteeler
Veteran

SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Does everybody else think K. Lewis at CB will start next year?
Old 02-17-2012, 07:04 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSteeler View Post
Does everybody else think K. Lewis at CB will start next year?
Yes, though Cortez Allen is really going to push him.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:32 AM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

No comment on my mock? :')
Old 02-17-2012, 07:37 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Quote:
No comment on my mock? :')
It's pretty good, though I doubt Almeda and Bentley are picked where you have them.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:42 AM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines View Post
It's pretty good, though I doubt Almeda and Bentley are picked where you have them.
Too low for both you think?
Old 02-17-2012, 07:57 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Quote:
Too low for both you think?
Yes. I mean there is a chance that Almeda falls to the second, but I doubt it. With 34 defenses becoming the hot thing in the league, teams are looking for guys of his size and skill to anchor. I've seen mocks where he's a first rounder to the spot where you mocked him. I think he'll be drafted in the first 40-50 picks.

With Bentley, he's very underrated despite lacking size. Everything I read about him in the Sr Bowl seems to make him out as rising up boards. I could see 4th rounder for him.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:50 AM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What do you guys think of passing on Hightower or Burfict round one and getting

getting Audie Cole in the 2nd or 3rd round. I don't see him as much different than Hightower and he would be a better value there.

How about this mock......

1.Dontari Poe DT Memphis

2.Kelechi Osemele G Iowa State

3.Audie Cole LB North Carolina State

4.Bernard Pierce RB Temple

5.Mitchell Schwartz T CAl

6.Josh Norman CB Coastal Carolina

7.Thomas Mayo WR CAl PA

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Last edited by DeathbyStat : 02-19-2012 at 09:27 AM.
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:05 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

poe and osemele would be amazing
Old 02-17-2012, 06:11 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Norman won't last that long.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:23 PM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Been watching a lot of oline tape, so far i can say...

Both Mike Adams and Cody Glenn are LEGIT! Adams is a potential top 15 pick and Glenn would be a pefect LG for us. Adams is nasty, reminds me of a young Marvel Smith...but with a lot more potential. Glenn has the feet and movement of a 300lb lineman, despite being 340lbs+...he can pull, trap and drive block equally well...if he is there at 24 i would happily take him.

On the other hand, i have seen nothing from Osemele that would make me draft him in the first 3 rounds. He is a strong drive blocker, but apart from that his technique and movement is extremely mediocre. He is too slow to react and recover when beat, and his footwork is well below par. While a move to guard would help with those issues, he would still not be a good fit at LG for the Steelers, he would not be able to pull effectively, and stunts and twist would be a nightmare. Basically Chris Kemoeatu with lesser pulling skills but more tackle experience/versatility.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:55 PM    (permalink
Dook
Rookie

Dook is a cocksman.Dook is a cocksman.Dook is a cocksman.Dook is a cocksman.Dook is a cocksman.

OG Rishaw Johnson has multiple off the field issues, can't see him being a Steeler.
Dook is offline   Reply With Quote