Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:52 PM    (permalink
Pitt
Veteran

Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines View Post
I firmly believe Aaron Williams can stay at CB for the Steelers. I feel the same way about Malcolm Jenkins as well.
Agreed. With him, it's a team by team basis. And on the Steelers defense, he could.
Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:53 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt View Post
Yeah but we wouldn't be trading down too far, so I still wouldn't feel good about Brown being our top prospect out of this draft. I'd like Brown if he were paired with another, similar to the Timmons/Woodley situation;

1. Ras-I Dowling CB Virginia
2. Curtis Brown CB Texas

1. Aaron Williams CB/S Texas
2. Curtis Brown CB Texas

1. Rahim Moore FS UCLA
2. Curtis Brown CB Texas

But this to me does not look good;

1. Curtis Brown CB Texas

And by "1." and "2." I'm referring to picks, not rounds.
if it were something like

1. Curtis Brown
2. Marcus Gilbert or 2. Kendrick Ellis or 2. Quinton Carter

i wouldnt mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:55 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt View Post
Agreed. With him, it's a team by team basis. And on the Steelers defense, he could.
thats pretty much my thoughts on him...i think he may have to move to safety for some teams but with the steelers he should be fine at CB for what they will ask him to do. if not he would (better be) a hell of a FS

Quote:
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:01 PM    (permalink
Pitt
Veteran

Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
thats pretty much my thoughts on him...i think he may have to move to safety for some teams but with the steelers he should be fine at CB for what they will ask him to do. if not he would (better be) a hell of a FS
Yup. Either way, a win win for the Steelers. Which is why I think he is their guy.

They like Juniors for one. Two, versatility. Three, character/Steeler types.

I don't see more of a sure pick than Williams at this point (at 31).

Maybe they'd be thinking more BPA like usual (Aaron Williams probably is here anyways) but not being able to sign Taylor yet, or fill some needs via free agency, tells me this whole not drafting a CB in the first round thing will come to an end.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:03 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I were to make a guess, Cam Heyward would be the pick. That said, I don't think he's there. I'll go 55-45 in favor of Heyward right now.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:06 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

yeah if it were heyward and williams both at 31 it would be a long 10 minutes....not sure which way i would lean, but id be happy either way.

second thought i think id go heyward, but still a win win

Quote:

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:09 PM    (permalink
Pitt
Veteran

I'd go Heyward over Williams if they were both there. Have to wonder how high Heyward would go if not for all the 3-4 personnel 1st round grades (which is rare).
Old 04-26-2011, 07:13 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

hes still my #1 5 tech i think...i really think he could be a once-in-a-while type player like aaron smith or richard seymour. im saying most years hes a top 10 pick, this year he hurt his elbow and is in a stacked class

Quote:

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:16 PM    (permalink
Pitt
Veteran

Quote:
hes still my #1 5 tech i think...i really think he could be a once-in-a-while type player like aaron smith or richard seymour. im saying most years hes a top 10 pick, this year he hurt his elbow and is in a stacked class
I would instantly look at it like Heath Miller value if he ends up going at 31.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:27 PM    (permalink
Pitt
Veteran

And Vince Wilfork value if we're talking around the league.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:35 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

good discussion guys, im learnign a lot

i wish i could contribute but keep these tidbits coming, im enjoying it

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:50 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

I really think the Ras-i is the best fit for the steelers....getting him in the second would be amazing, even taking him in the 1st would be worth it imo.

he'll have to bulk up his lower body but realistically saying they sign ike, he would be a 3rd/4th CB on the steelers as a rookie. Ike and mcfadden are likely starters still, i think *** will be a cardinal before long and i want crezdon butler to be worked in, i especially wanna see what butler can do on the outside rather than nickel. dowling would be in the perfect situation to take over in a year, and probably get action as a NB or FS as a rookie

dowling is physical and aggressive and if he didnt get hurt i kinda think he would be right in between amukamara and jimmy smith in rankings and not behind aaron williams and brandon harris

Quote:

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:45 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

Quote:
Second Annual Pittsburgh Steelers Draft Game:

Rules:
Prior to the draft, participants must submit a mock draft of their own.

For every player participants select in their mock that the Steelers select in real life, they get one point. If they had the player in the correct round as well, they get two points.

I.E. - 2008 Draft

1. Rashard Mendenhall --> 2 points
2. Tony Hills --> 1 point
3. Roy Schuening --> 0 points
4. Dennis Dixon --> 1 Point
5. Brandon Carr --> 0 points
6. Orlando Scandrick --> 0 Points

ALL MOCK DRAFTS MUST BE SUBMITTED PRIOR TO THE START OF THE DRAFT!

The participant with the highest amount of points wins, and they get rep from other participants, bragging rights, and other participants must acknowledge their superior Steelers knowledge and understanding with a comment or image in their respective sigs.

Post mocks in here, I'll sort them out in word, and then tally up the scores after the draft.

Death was last year's winner!
1. Aaron Williams CB Texas
2. Marcus Gilbert OT Florida
3. Lance Kendricks TE Wisconsin
4. Austin Pettis WR Boise
5. Alex henery K Nebraska
6. Deunta Williams FS UNC
7. Frank Kearse DE Bama A&M

Quote:

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:00 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Theres a ton of talent I'd love to come away with tomorrow. I'd love to see Heyward on the team. Obviously any of the corners would be nice to have, my favrotie being Williams. Reports today that we want to trade up for Pouncey probably means it's not true, but I'd like to see it happen if he slides into the 20s. Another pick I'd be into at 31 is Ingram. He'd give us another talented back, and Mendenhall cannot possibly be expected to carry a load like he did last season.

And I think we're in a great position to trade down if a team is trying to jump back into the first and get one of the QBs. With the needs we have I wouldn't hate moving back and picking up an extra 3rd or 4th depending on how far.

Ideally I want Heyward. He was my favorite player on the OSU defense last year and I think he is a perfect fit for us. We've typically picked younger players with our first rounder since Tomlin has been here, but I don't think thats by any kind of design or that they're looking passed seniors.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyStat View Post
What do you guys thinks of Sherrod?
I think his ceiling is somewhere close to what Marvel Smith was. Not elite, but not bad either. Sherrod would probably be a better pass-protector and not quite the great run-blocker Smith was though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance uppercut View Post
I think the general consensus is he's a steady prospect who will probably be a quality starter but not a star. unlike so many OT prospects, he won't need moved inside. in a stronger draft, he's a classic 2nd rounder - in this draft, he's fringe first. I could see him going in the low 20s, and I could see him going in the mid-40s, possibly to us via trade-down. TBH, he kind of reminds me of Marvel. and, if that's what we were getting, cool.
Haha, I swear I hadn't seen this before my post. Guess great minds think alike ;). Also, "alright, that's cool" would be the perfect description of what my reaction would be if we drafted Sherrod.

Quote:
I firmly believe Aaron Williams can stay at CB for the Steelers. I feel the same way about Malcolm Jenkins as well.
Same here, I think Williams is athletic and talented enough to be a good CB for us. I would have no issues with switching him to S, though. Same goes for Ras-I Dowling, who I still really like.

Quote:
That's really setting the bar high for him, haha, but I actually agree with you. Everytime I see him play, except for a couple games late this year, I am absolutely intrigued by what he does. He would be a perfect replacement for Smith, and I'd slide Hood over to RE. RE is supposed to be the better pass-rushing end, and Hood is a better rusher than Heyward, IMO, which is basically the only knock on Heyward. We don't need him to rush the passer though, just let Woodley and Harrison do their thing.

And if both Heyward and Williams are there, give me Heyward. I'd rather have an elite 3-4 end than a good CB, even if we desperately need one. I'd much rather go Heyward and Curtis Brown/Ras-I Dowling/someone else than Aaron Williams and another 3-4 end, where there is a significant drop-off in talent, IMO.

Quote:
I really think the Ras-i is the best fit for the steelers....getting him in the second would be amazing, even taking him in the 1st would be worth it imo.

he'll have to bulk up his lower body but realistically saying they sign ike, he would be a 3rd/4th CB on the steelers as a rookie. Ike and mcfadden are likely starters still, i think *** will be a cardinal before long and i want crezdon butler to be worked in, i especially wanna see what butler can do on the outside rather than nickel. dowling would be in the perfect situation to take over in a year, and probably get action as a NB or FS as a rookie

dowling is physical and aggressive and if he didnt get hurt i kinda think he would be right in between amukamara and jimmy smith in rankings and not behind aaron williams and brandon harris
Agree with virtually everything. I was very, very surprised to see Dowling run a 4.40 flat at 6'1 and 198. That is absolutely fantastic speed with fantastic size. Add that to his great ball skills and it could very well be a great corner. If not, he's at least be a very good FS. As you said, he's physical and doesn't shy away from contact. Tough tackler.

Finally, Marcus Cannon was diagnosed with cancer. This could, and probably does, shatter his draft stock. If he's there in the sixth, maybe even in the fifth, I'd still draft him. If he beats his cancer (and there's a 90% chance he does), and recovers the weight and strength he'll undoubtedly lose, he could be a very, very good guard for us. I thought he'd be able to turn into a Shawn Andrews type of player, so if we miss out on Pouncey (who I, like many of you, still have as our #1 guy), which will very likely happen, Cannon would be fantastic value as a 5th rounder. IR for one year, develop him his second, and work him in.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:13 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post

That's really setting the bar high for him, haha, but I actually agree with you. Everytime I see him play, except for a couple games late this year, I am absolutely intrigued by what he does. He would be a perfect replacement for Smith, and I'd slide Hood over to RE. RE is supposed to be the better pass-rushing end, and Hood is a better rusher than Heyward, IMO, which is basically the only knock on Heyward. We don't need him to rush the passer though, just let Woodley and Harrison do their thing.

And if both Heyward and Williams are there, give me Heyward. I'd rather have an elite 3-4 end than a good CB, even if we desperately need one. I'd much rather go Heyward and Curtis Brown/Ras-I Dowling/someone else than Aaron Williams and another 3-4 end, where there is a significant drop-off in talent, IMO.

Agree with virtually everything. I was very, very surprised to see Dowling run a 4.40 flat at 6'1 and 198. That is absolutely fantastic speed with fantastic size. Add that to his great ball skills and it could very well be a great corner. If not, he's at least be a very good FS. As you said, he's physical and doesn't shy away from contact. Tough tackler.

Finally, Marcus Cannon was diagnosed with cancer. This could, and probably does, shatter his draft stock. If he's there in the sixth, maybe even in the fifth, I'd still draft him. If he beats his cancer (and there's a 90% chance he does), and recovers the weight and strength he'll undoubtedly lose, he could be a very, very good guard for us. I thought he'd be able to turn into a Shawn Andrews type of player, so if we miss out on Pouncey (who I, like many of you, still have as our #1 guy), which will very likely happen, Cannon would be fantastic value as a 5th rounder. IR for one year, develop him his second, and work him in.
ive said heyward would be perfect for smiths spot and hood would be the better fit for keisels before as well, hes not a pass rusher but he never quits and just because he doesnt get sacks doesnt mean the pressure isnt there, he does collapse the pocket pretty well.

dowlings 4.4 had me sold on him, from what i kept hearing he was going to run in the 4.65 range. his senior year was disappointing, but he was hurt and he does need to bulk up his lower body to be more durable but the tape he does have before that makes me think that with no injury and a 4.4 hed be right up there with amukamara

Quote:

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:27 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Everyone participating in the mock game, make sure you have your mocks in by the draft. Thank you.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:29 PM    (permalink
Pitt
Veteran

Tampa Bay is on the clock at #20 and both Prince Amukamara and Mike Pouncey are still on the board.

Which one do you trade up for?
Old 04-28-2011, 02:56 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

amukamara and its not even close

Quote:

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:41 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Quote:
amukamara and its not even close
This, this, and this!!
Old 04-28-2011, 05:29 PM    (permalink
Pitt
Veteran

Quote:
Everyone participating in the mock game, make sure you have your mocks in by the draft. Thank you.
1. Aaron Williams FS Texas
2. Curtis Brown CB Texas
3. Kenrick Ellis NT Hampton
4. Joe Barksdale OT LSU
5. Cortez Allen CB Citadel
6. Alex Henery K Nebraska
7. Henry Hynoski FB Pittsburgh
Old 04-28-2011, 05:56 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know why I woke up today thinking that I'd love to draft Mark Ingram. The thought of Mendenhall and Ingram together was very, very exciting.

Not a need at all, in fact it would be a luxury pick, but seeing defenses try to stop both Mendy and Ingram would be very, very fun.

Still hoping we move for Pouncey though.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 04-28-2011, 06:08 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

It looks like the mock draft thing is going to be off since there is only 3 entries...
Old 04-28-2011, 06:36 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Quote:
It looks like the mock draft thing is going to be off since there is only 3 entries...
Here's mine:

1. CB Aaron Williams, Texas
2. CB/S Ras-I Dowling, Virginia
3. OT Marcus Gilbert, Florida
4. NT Jerrell Powe, Ole Miss
5. RB Da'Rel Scott, Maryland
6. LB Mario Harvey, Marshall
7. K Alex Henery, Nebraska

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 04-28-2011, 08:13 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Steelers, trade up for Amukamara!

Props to clover_jeez!