Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 03-22-2007, 02:14 PM    (permalink
Bootland27
Rookie

Bootland27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bootland27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default QB solution

David Carr. Give up one of the 5th round picks, low risk-low reward.

IMO, his failures were a byproduct of the franchise he played for, their management's decision making (passing on bush), and last but not least the o-line. Basically, everything that kitna went through last year behind our line, multiply that by 5 which gives the abuse he took in his time with the texans.

This also eliminates the need to take a QB in the 2nd round this year, which they can use to address other needs on defense.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:38 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Except Kitna was sacked more times last year than Carr, and was far more effective IMO. Carr is honestly probably worse than Harrington. Just say no to Carr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:40 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Was it really Houston's fault that Carr was so bad? Was it a coincidence that once Carr was benched for Sage Rosenfels the sacks started to drop and the production from the quarterback position started to go up?
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:46 PM    (permalink
Bootland27
Rookie

Bootland27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bootland27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman4579 View Post
Except Kitna was sacked more times last year than Carr, and was far more effective IMO.
Carr has been sacked the most in the last 5 years. You're only talking about 1 year for Kitna.

Quote:
Carr is honestly probably worse than Harrington. Just say no to Carr!
What makes you say that? Yeah he is a project but I wouldn't mind if he sat on the bench and let Martz develop him for a year.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:01 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

TacticaLion hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

No. Don't waste the 5th round pick.

I'd rather have Stanton/Edwards over Carr.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:24 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Look here's the thing. Everyone says Carr has no line, and no rushing attack, that's why he sucks. In 2006 the Texans averaged 105.4 YPG. In '05 they averaged 113.5 YPG. in '04 117.6 PYG. In '03 103.2 YPG. That is clearly better than anything the Lions have done, and better than plenty of teams in the league for most of those years. It seems that his linemen can run block well enough. Carr holds on to the ball too long is the problem.

As far as Carr vs Harrington goes, let's look at something. First, Carr had Domanick Davis(Williams or whatever) who went over 1000 yards in '03 and '04 and had over 900 yards in '05. Harrington had one 1000 yard back, Kevin Jones in '04, and coincidentally that was the year he threw for 3047 yards and had 19 TD's to 12 picks. Carr Had Andre Johnson for a total of 61 career games. Harrington had Roy Williams for a total of 27 games. And don't even get me started on Charles Rogers. From '02 to '05(4 seasons) their numbers are very similiar.

Carr
58% comp %
2656 yards per season
12 TD's per season
13.3 INT's per season

Harrington
55% comp %
2561 yards per season
15 TD's per season
15.5 INT's per season

And Harrington started 4 less games over that span. Sure Harrington MIGHT have had a marginally better line than Carr at that point. Carr also had a better supporting cast over most of his games than Harrington did, with Williams, Rogers, and Jones always being injured.

Am I saying Harrington was good? No. But I am saying that David Carr is no better, and would be a complete waste of a player on this team.

Quote:

Old 03-22-2007, 03:27 PM    (permalink
DeMonikk1
Rookie

DeMonikk1 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Why give up anything for a player who has ZERO confidence, a fragile psyche, and will be released anyway??? Wasting a pick would be foolish...Kitna is the stopgap, and if they don't get brady Quinn this year, look at Brian Brohm next year.
DeMonikk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:27 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Look here's the thing. Everyone says Carr has no line, and no rushing attack, that's why he sucks. In 2006 the Texans averaged 105.4 YPG. In '05 they averaged 113.5 YPG. in '04 117.6 PYG. In '03 103.2 YPG. That is clearly better than anything the Lions have done, and better than plenty of teams in the league for most of those years. It seems that his linemen can run block well enough. Carr holds on to the ball too long is the problem.

As far as Carr vs Harrington goes, let's look at something. First, Carr had Domanick Davis(Williams or whatever) who went over 1000 yards in '03 and '04 and had over 900 yards in '05. Harrington had one 1000 yard back, Kevin Jones in '04, and coincidentally that was the year he threw for 3047 yards and had 19 TD's to 12 picks. Carr Had Andre Johnson for a total of 61 career games. Harrington had Roy Williams for a total of 27 games. And don't even get me started on Charles Rogers. From '02 to '05(4 seasons) their numbers are very similiar.

Carr
58% comp %
2656 yards per season
12 TD's per season
13.3 INT's per season

Harrington
55% comp %
2561 yards per season
15 TD's per season
15.5 INT's per season

And Harrington started 4 less games over that span. Sure Harrington MIGHT have had a marginally better line than Carr at that point. Carr also had a better supporting cast over most of his games than Harrington did, with Williams, Rogers, and Jones always being injured.

Am I saying Harrington was good? No. But I am saying that David Carr is no better, and would be a complete waste of a player on this team.
Ironman has won this thread. Good job, Ironman.

Instead of drafting Carr... if we want a below average QB THAT bad... we should just sign Harrington. He was cut, right?
Old 03-22-2007, 07:25 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think you can use run blocking in an argument on how well and offensive line protects a QB.

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:27 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
I don't think you can use run blocking in an argument on how well and offensive line protects a QB.
Run support helps a QB tremendously. If you can't run the ball, your opponent only needs to stop the pass.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:55 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
I think you certainly can. A good running game slows down the rush just that much more and gets the defense back on their heels. All I'm saying is, watch David Carr. He holds the ball at least 5-6 seconds on every play. I've even heard ex Houston lineman say the same thing. They hold their blocks for like 8 seconds, the guy gets by them, and they look back and he still has the ball. I realize that can be a function of his receivers not getting open, but the guy is just not a good QB. And I maintain that he is no better than Harrington, and people just try and give the guy the benefit of the doubt because of the amount of sacks he's taken.

Quote:

Old 03-22-2007, 10:25 PM    (permalink
Bootland27
Rookie

There are some flaws in ironman's argument, but I think Martz can mold him into a decent QB. Remember when he came here he liked Joey and thought that he could have success in this system. In the end, Joey didn't wanna be here and I don't think he'd been successful cause he needed a change of scenery. If Carr came here and they improved the o-line and made it a decent unit, I think it could work. He would have better WRs here than in houston

You can get him for a 5th or 6th round pick. You know millen's not gonna draft Marques Colston or Maurice Jones Drew or someone like that in the 5th/6th round. He might even get released and we can sign him cheap. If he doesn't work out whats the worst thing that can happen? Maybe Marinelli losing his job. There are QBs that come out every year in the draft. If you know he's not the answer, draft a QB next year.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:52 AM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootland27 View Post
There are some flaws in ironman's argument, but I think Martz can mold him into a decent QB. Remember when he came here he liked Joey and thought that he could have success in this system. In the end, Joey didn't wanna be here and I don't think he'd been successful cause he needed a change of scenery. If Carr came here and they improved the o-line and made it a decent unit, I think it could work. He would have better WRs here than in houston

You can get him for a 5th or 6th round pick. You know millen's not gonna draft Marques Colston or Maurice Jones Drew or someone like that in the 5th/6th round. He might even get released and we can sign him cheap. If he doesn't work out whats the worst thing that can happen? Maybe Marinelli losing his job. There are QBs that come out every year in the draft. If you know he's not the answer, draft a QB next year.
I disagree. He had Andre Johnson, who so far has done alot more than Roy Williams has(even though I like Roy more), and you can say what you want about Furrey, I like the season he had last year, but he's not really any better than some of the guys they've had in Texas.

The point being, you might be able to use that 5th round pick in combination with some other picks to move up in other rounds and get someone you actually want/need, rather than a QB that's never done anything in the league. And besides, Martz has said numerous times that he really likes McCown. It just doesn't make sense to me to either pick up a huge contract through a trade to sit on the bench, or sign a guy to what would probably be at least a decent sized contract if he was cut to sit on the bench.

Quote:

Old 03-23-2007, 10:36 AM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I disagree. He had Andre Johnson, who so far has done alot more than Roy Williams has(even though I like Roy more), and you can say what you want about Furrey, I like the season he had last year, but he's not really any better than some of the guys they've had in Texas.

The point being, you might be able to use that 5th round pick in combination with some other picks to move up in other rounds and get someone you actually want/need, rather than a QB that's never done anything in the league. And besides, Martz has said numerous times that he really likes McCown. It just doesn't make sense to me to either pick up a huge contract through a trade to sit on the bench, or sign a guy to what would probably be at least a decent sized contract if he was cut to sit on the bench.
I agree for the most part. Comparing QBs in different situations is always risky, but I agree that I'd rather take a different QB. We've got the aging vet (Kitna), we've got the "been-in-the-league, trying-to-prove-himself" gunslinger (McCown) and we've got the "I'm better than these guys, and i'll prove it" youngster (Orlovsky). If we took ANYONE, I'd want Edwards/Stanton... the promising project QB... NOT another player that's looking for a second chance.

Did any of that make sense? I dunno... made sense to me.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:42 AM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticaLion View Post
I agree for the most part. Comparing QBs in different situations is always risky, but I agree that I'd rather take a different QB. We've got the aging vet (Kitna), we've got the "been-in-the-league, trying-to-prove-himself" gunslinger (McCown) and we've got the "I'm better than these guys, and i'll prove it" youngster (Orlovsky). If we took ANYONE, I'd want Edwards/Stanton... the promising project QB... NOT another player that's looking for a second chance.

Did any of that make sense? I dunno... made sense to me.
It made sense to me. We have basically 2 guys already "looking for a second chance" (Kitna, McCown), do we really need ANOTHER guy that's been marginal at best his entire career that's looking for a new home?

Quote:

Old 03-23-2007, 10:47 AM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
It made sense to me. We have basically 2 guys already "looking for a second chance" (Kitna, McCown), do we really need ANOTHER guy that's been marginal at best his entire career that's looking for a new home?
Exactly. I think McCown will leave before he becomes the "starter" for the Lions, but would like to see a youngster in this draft and Orlovsky battle for the job when Kitna is gone.

If we can build the OLine and continue to improve the running game, it should be a great situation for them.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:43 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMonikk1 View Post
Why give up anything for a player who has ZERO confidence, a fragile psyche, and will be released anyway??? Wasting a pick would be foolish...Kitna is the stopgap, and if they don't get brady Quinn this year, look at Brian Brohm next year.
wow. Is there a way to man-hug and say "I love you" without giving off a homosexual vibe?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:36 PM    (permalink
PooPooCakes

Carr and Domanick Williams were cut.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:06 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
wow. Is there a way to man-hug and say "I love you" without giving off a homosexual vibe?
There's a way to do it... but not a way to *say* it.

Haha. Right?

I can't believe they passed on Leinart, Young and Bush... and have cut the players they claimed solidified those positions.

Incredible.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:30 AM    (permalink
DeMonikk1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post

Hahaha, I assume there is, but let's just leave it alone...
Old 03-24-2007, 06:32 AM    (permalink
DeMonikk1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticaLion View Post
There's a way to do it... but not a way to *say* it.

Haha. Right?

I can't believe they passed on Leinart, Young and Bush... and have cut the players they claimed solidified those positions.

Incredible.
They are starting over completely it seems. Houston is even more poorly ran than Detroit right now IMO. And THAT'S saying something..
Old 03-24-2007, 10:28 AM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
They are starting over completely it seems. Houston is even more poorly ran than Detroit right now IMO. And THAT'S saying something..
Crazyness...

Not much more to say than that.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:50 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Hahaha, I assume there is, but let's just leave it alone...
Let's.

In other regards. Here's my view on how poorly run the Texans are:

Imagine a very large ocean, and then us standing at the bottom of that ocean. After all, we're not a franchise known for sound decisions, well if one would take a large digging machine, and dig about.. say 200 yards down, you'd find the texans, sitting there crying 'why did we draft Carr? Why did we pass on Bush? Why do we suck so bad?'.

In other words, the Texans are adding a whole new level to sucking.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:39 AM    (permalink
jag
Veteran

jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Since he's a FA would you guys consider giving him a small 3 year deal and see if Martz can mold the guy into a decent starter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Chris View Post
It's just a ******* dog By Michael Vick
Check out the Dailyer Nebraskan
http://www.dailyernebraskan.com
421 Witness
756*
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:47 AM    (permalink
Aard
Rookie

Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag View Post
Since he's a FA would you guys consider giving him a small 3 year deal and see if Martz can mold the guy into a decent starter?
No.

David Carr and Joey Harrington are too closely linked already; the Lions are better off without any reminders of that failed experiment. Carr -- even on the Detroit sidelines -- would cast Joey's shadow everywhere he went.

Let's not resummon that exorcised ghost.
Aard is offline   Reply With Quote