Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 04-04-2011, 05:24 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
hah. I agree with you... even if I support Newton ahead of the rest of this year's QB crop. He doesn't have #1 pick talent and potential in any other draft. ...hell, even in this draft, I'd take Peterson or a DL ahead of him if I'm Carolina.

His physical upside is tremendous, but I question his mental capacity to handle the riggors of being a long term successful NFL QB. If he can get a solid grip on that, then really... the sky is the limit... and he'll make many a doubter look foolish.
Carolina needs to trade down and get that 2nd back and maybe a 4th. You think the Cowboys would take Peterson?
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:09 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Carolina needs to trade down and get that 2nd back and maybe a 4th. You think the Cowboys would take Peterson?
I think they would love to get Peterson, but that there is a cap on the cost it would take to move up. I hear rumors that a deal could be in place with Cleveland at #6 if Peterson is still available. I doubt he would be, but that's one of many rumors out there.

Can anyone see Newton going on a free fall into Round 2?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:16 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think they would love to get Peterson, but that there is a cap on the cost it would take to move up. I hear rumors that a deal could be in place with Cleveland at #6 if Peterson is still available. I doubt he would be, but that's one of many rumors out there.

You must want to see Warren Moon implode. I think his value is probably around the 12th pick to the Vikings but i'm sure someone will grab him early.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:29 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabscuttle View Post
I think what some people haven't put together is that Nawrocki works for Pro Football Weekly. They have been in the NFL and scouting news business for a long time and aren't just some new to the scene internet site. They have been gathering sources inside the NFL for decades and just like other news outlets they protect their sources. It is key to their business.

When a guy like Hurney says that Nawrocki didn't talk to him it doesn't mean much when their are hundreds of other sources from inside the league to glean information from. I am curious why Hurney felt a need to deny he had any part of being a source for this report. He didn't deny that it could have come from inside his office though.
That Nolan guy said he was talking to decision makers and Hurney is the decision maker for the panthers, unless Nolan is talking to the panthers own their is no other decision maker.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:45 PM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if being a good person was a requirement for NFL QB, Ben Roethlisberger wouldn't have 2 Super Bowl rings. Brett Favre wouldn't have one. Mike Vick wouldn't be starting.

Cam Newton may not be the guy that audiences are comfortable with as a role model but the dude has proven he will win games.

the Panthers with Newton could sniff .500 in the near future. Without him they are just another franchise with no stars and no chance. Love him or hate him, Newton has star potential and the league takes care of it's stars.

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

bitonti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:09 PM    (permalink
RealityCheck
All-Pro

RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The world would be a better place if that happened, however, it won't.

It'll be #1, #10 or #12 for Cam.
RealityCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:41 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some may find this silly, but honestly speaking... one thing that I consider VERY important at the QB position is the Alpha-male characteristic in the player. What do I mean by this?

- Is he a natural born leader or follower?
- Is he a guy who others follow willingly?
- Does he have the moxie to make others feel confident in time of panic?
- Whether he does good or bad, do people feel good being associated with him?

I like to think that in a pack of dogs, that he's the lead dog? That dog is my Alpha-male. IMO, if you're gonna be a successful QB in this league, you need to have that Alpha-male characteristic. These guys ooze confidence. They have an extra built-in confidence that makes them think they will succeed despite the odds. These kind of guys are often successful in all walks of life.

They are the bosses. They are the ladies man. They are good looking. They succeed.

I bring this up because I think Newton has that Alpha-male characteristic. I think that despite the flaws you may find in his past or present that he will emerge successfully. Big Ben and Kobe Bryant are still loved despite raping a girl. Vick is still loved despite dog fighting. Tom Brady can do no wrong even if tried. Having 2 sons with 2 different hot women is more like a trophy. Matt Sanchez can date a 17 year old if he wants. His boys will follow him.

Now this characteristic alone isn't nearly enough, but Newton has the talent and will to combine. I'm not saying this is a must or guarantee, but in my book, it's certainly an extra something to look for.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:49 PM    (permalink
Rabscuttle
Veteran

Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
That Nolan guy said he was talking to decision makers and Hurney is the decision maker for the panthers, unless Nolan is talking to the panthers own their is no other decision maker.

Several dozen other decision makers seem to be unaccounted for in this equation. Dollars to doughnuts says a lot of this same info is on Carolina's scouting report of Newton as well. It is up to them whether they choose to ignore it or not. (along with all his issues as a quarterback as well)
Rabscuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:09 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cam Newton looks like D'Brickashaw Ferguson:

Old 04-04-2011, 11:24 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
Cam Newton looks like D'Brickashaw Ferguson:
And Cam Newton reminds me of a larger, bulked up Akili Smith.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:32 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
You say "decision maker" like it's one guy in every organization, it's not. There are many levels of "decision making" in a scouting department. The director of college scouting, for example, is a decision maker, as are the different regional assistant directors of college scouting who oversee the regional scouts; and regional scouts even, are in some sense, decision makers since their evaluations are responsible for much of the raw data that is consumed by busier people up the totem pole. Each of the above can be overruled by the general manager, but the general manager can be overruled by the owner as well. If we're only going to look at the person who has the absolute final decision on everything, who cares what Marty Hurney thinks... let's ask Jerry Richardson.

And ultimately, it may be Richardson that ultimately decides "no" on Cam Newton, if what Scott says is true about Richardson being hardline against problematic character guys.

Last edited by PossibleCabbage : 04-04-2011 at 11:38 PM.
PossibleCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:36 PM    (permalink
the natural
Veteran

the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Roided up Akili Smith. With HGH thrown in. He didn't get that jawbone and the forehead ridge from his Dad. At least not directly. Frustrated jock Cecil probably started Cam's "treatments" when he was about 10.
the natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:58 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Seems like there a thousand ways for people to say they think someone is going to be a bust.

The comparison seems like a superficial one; brief college career, put up nice stats.

But their playing styles are different, their offensive systems were different.

Why does Cam's floor have to be Akili?? Why not Kordell Stewart??

BTW, if there are any Bengals fans here, could they explain exactly why it was that Akili failed so spectacularly???

I hate generic comparisons with some background on both prospects.
Why did Akili only start 17 games for the Bengals before he was let go??

The reason I think Cam will be successful, the main reason, is that people IMO are underestimating his competitiveness and work ethic, in regards to football.

I think Cam's football work ethic is almost as high as athletic ability. You hear the stories about Newton's one year at Auburn and how he was working on his game alone at Auburn's team facilities while his teammates were sleeping off hangovers, until eventually his teammates started to join in with him.

The bottom line is you can't be that successful in one year on talent alone; it requires putting in extra hours off the field to bridge the gap in playing experience in Malzahn's offense.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:55 AM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Some may find this silly, but honestly speaking... one thing that I consider VERY important at the QB position is the Alpha-male characteristic in the player. What do I mean by this?

- Is he a natural born leader or follower?
- Is he a guy who others follow willingly?
- Does he have the moxie to make others feel confident in time of panic?
- Whether he does good or bad, do people feel good being associated with him?

I like to think that in a pack of dogs, that he's the lead dog? That dog is my Alpha-male. IMO, if you're gonna be a successful QB in this league, you need to have that Alpha-male characteristic. These guys ooze confidence. They have an extra built-in confidence that makes them think they will succeed despite the odds. These kind of guys are often successful in all walks of life.

They are the bosses. They are the ladies man. They are good looking. They succeed.

I bring this up because I think Newton has that Alpha-male characteristic. I think that despite the flaws you may find in his past or present that he will emerge successfully. Big Ben and Kobe Bryant are still loved despite raping a girl. Vick is still loved despite dog fighting. Tom Brady can do no wrong even if tried. Having 2 sons with 2 different hot women is more like a trophy. Matt Sanchez can date a 17 year old if he wants. His boys will follow him.

Now this characteristic alone isn't nearly enough, but Newton has the talent and will to combine. I'm not saying this is a must or guarantee, but in my book, it's certainly an extra something to look for.
Hmmmm I still can't tell if he's franchise or not..

Ha this was the first thing I thought of. But really though, it's an interesting take D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:25 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Leader View Post
Hmmmm I still can't tell if he's franchise or not..

Ha this was the first thing I thought of. But really though, it's an interesting take D.
McCoy has it. I think he has a reallly bright future. In comparison... the ugly Jimmy Clausen doesn't have it. Good looks = confidence/high self-esteem throughout life = Alpha-Male = Good QB trait. Combine that with actual talent = winner. :)
Old 04-05-2011, 01:26 AM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Newton bought a stolen laptop at UF, perhaps knowingly, but how many times is it reported that Newton STOLE a laptop at Florida??

Even Nawrocki wrote up in his report that Newton stole a laptop, which is absolutely false.

Buying stolen merchandise and being guilty of breaking an entering are vastly different crimes, one of which IMO is completely indefensible.

People repeatedly make this 'mistake' because they are inclined to think the worst about Newton instead of being accurate about the facts.
This is not a mistake because he was CHARGED, and when I say that I mean by the POLICE, and ARRESTED for BURGLARY (yeah, that's a felony) and GRAND LARCENY (that's also a felony). The police ACCUSED him of being in someone's dorm room when he was not given permission to be there and STEALING a laptop that was not his, which, kinda fits the definition of BURGLARY and LARCENY.

Newton attempted to COVER THIS ALL UP by TOSSING THE LAPTOP OUT OF HIS WINDOW. Then texting a friend, telling him to put it behind a dumpster. The Po-Po found the LAPTOP (with "CAM NEWTON" written on it) behind said dumpster. Coincidence? Anyway, that's called OBSTRUCTION OF JUSTICE. That's ANOTHER CHARGE.

*** Witnesses said that when Cam Newton threw the laptop out of his window, it was one of the most accurate throws he made during his entire college career. Further proving his greatness in stressful / high pressure situations. *** Sarcasm between asterisks. Can not help myself. The dude is a joke.

Newton, like the fake liar that he is, said that he bought the stolen laptop from Joe Blow, who sold it to him out of the trunk of his car. (He smiled during the entire interview in attempt to make the Cops like him). Who's Joe Blow? Cam never said. Just a model citizen that Cam barely knows and occasionally does some minor transactions with...

That makes all these reports that he stole the laptop false? Because Newton said he bought it? Hahahahahahahahahaha. That's really all I have to say. "Newton said he didn't steal it, so everyone else is lying." Hell of a defense.

Did he steal it or didn't he? Doesn't really matter. He was in possession of it and tried to cover it up, which basically means that he was more than well aware that it was stolen, whether he was the thief or not... doesn't really matter. He stole it. End of discussion. You act like a moron, you get treated like a moron. And Cam has an extensive history of moronic behavior.

So in summary, people are not incorrect or making a "mistake" by saying that he stole the laptop, because well, that's what he was CHARGED with after a police investigation. And Cam made the whole situation even worse by throwing it out of his window in attempt to avoid arrest.

There is no need to respond to this post FUNBUNCHER. There is nothing else that needs to be said about Cam "Thief, liar, fake, criminal, cheater, phony" Newton. He's a lazy scumbag. End of story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:31 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
This is not a mistake because he was CHARGED, and when I say that I mean by the POLICE, and ARRESTED for BURGLARY (yeah, that's a felony) and GRAND LARCENY (that's also a felony). The police ACCUSED him of being in someone's dorm room when he was not given permission to be there and STEALING a laptop that was not his, which, kinda fits the definition of BURGLARY and LARCENY.

Newton attempted to COVER THIS ALL UP by TOSSING THE LAPTOP OUT OF HIS WINDOW. Then texting a friend, telling him to put it behind a dumpster. The Po-Po found the LAPTOP (with "CAM NEWTON" written on it) behind said dumpster. Coincidence? Anyway, that's called OBSTRUCTION OF JUSTICE. That's ANOTHER CHARGE.

*** Witnesses said that when Cam Newton threw the laptop out of his window, it was one of the most accurate throws he made during his entire college career. Further proving his greatness in stressful / high pressure situations. *** Sarcasm between asterisks. Can not help myself. The dude is a joke.

Newton, like the fake liar that he is, said that he bought the stolen laptop from Joe Blow, who sold it to him out of the trunk of his car. (He smiled during the entire interview in attempt to make the Cops like him). Who's Joe Blow? Cam never said. Just a model citizen that Cam barely knows and occasionally does some minor transactions with...

That makes all these reports that he stole the laptop false? Because Newton said he bought it? Hahahahahahahahahaha. That's really all I have to say. "Newton said he didn't steal it, so everyone else is lying." Hell of a defense.

Did he steal it or didn't he? Doesn't really matter. He was in possession of it and tried to cover it up, which basically means that he was more than well aware that it was stolen, whether he was the thief or not... doesn't really matter. He stole it. End of discussion. You act like a moron, you get treated like a moron. And Cam has an extensive history of moronic behavior.

So in summary, people are not incorrect or making a "mistake" by saying that he stole the laptop, because well, that's what he was CHARGED with after a police investigation. And Cam made the whole situation even worse by throwing it out of his window in attempt to avoid arrest.

There is no need to respond to this post FUNBUNCHER. There is nothing else that needs to be said about Cam "Thief, liar, fake, criminal, cheater, phony" Newton. He's a lazy scumbag. End of story.
Since when does committing a crime predict the NFL success of a player?
Old 04-05-2011, 01:57 AM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Since when does committing a crime predict the NFL success of a player?
Minga. Where did that come from? Cam also committed MULTIPLE CRIMES, but that's neither here nor there.

I simply responded to FUNBUNCHER, who accused Nawrocki of being "mistaken" and reporting false information when Nawrocki stated nothing more than facts. Like, real actual facts. You couldn't be more factual than Nawrocki was and people will blindly call him "mistaken." FUNBUNCHER was so wrong and mistaken himself that I simply felt compelled to dispel his lies, which he tends to do whenever talking about Newton. He just makes **** up. I don't know why he's still talking in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:00 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
I

The reason I think Cam will be successful, the main reason, is that people IMO are underestimating his competitiveness and work ethic, in regards to football.

I think Cam's football work ethic is almost as high as athletic ability. You hear the stories about Newton's one year at Auburn and how he was working on his game alone at Auburn's team facilities while his teammates were sleeping off hangovers, until eventually his teammates started to join in with him.

The bottom line is you can't be that successful in one year on talent alone; it requires putting in extra hours off the field to bridge the gap in playing experience in Malzahn's offense.
If that is the case with Newton then all well and good, however it is nothing special that he was at the facility by himself for one year. If you want to be a good QB in the NFL then you'd better be the hardest working player on your team, on the practice field, in the weight room and in the film room. That's to be good not great. The problem is there is not enough of a history of Newton showing these qualities to be 100% comfortable in taking him highly.

It's like NJX's scenario about the convicted felon-who cares if he actually has become a hard worker now. There is a stigma attached to Cam Newton which he needs to prove wrong every day. One year of leading his team is not a big enough sample size to prove this. Then added in with his issues in translating to the pro game I find it hard to understand how any team can bank on him to be their franchise QB high in the draft.

Im on the fence about Newton as a pro prospect. He has ridiculous ability and could become a great player. He also has noted off the field issue and comes from a spread offense.

A lot of people have brought up Mike Vick, Ben Roehtlisberger etc in terms of his off the field issues. And Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy etc from his spread offense issues. However, if you were the GM of the team drafting first overall and you had to put your job and reputation on the line, would you draft Newton 1st overall based on what you know? Clearly a lot of people would but how could you be comfortable taking him? Do you get the Cam Newton who seems to have been a great leader and won a National Championship or do you get the Icon/Entertainer with multiple off the field concerns?

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Last edited by AntoinCD : 04-05-2011 at 07:04 AM.
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:19 AM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
However, if you were the GM of the team drafting first overall and you had to put your job and reputation on the line, would you draft Newton 1st overall based on what you know?
Yes. whats the alternative? Patrick Peterson doesn't add a single win to 2-14. they need a star QB. drafting a CB or WR and waiting a year doesn't guarantee anything, all it guarantees is that team will suck this year.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:31 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
Yes. whats the alternative? Patrick Peterson doesn't add a single win to 2-14. they need a star QB. drafting a CB or WR and waiting a year doesn't guarantee anything, all it guarantees is that team will suck this year.
Well hypothetically if you take Newton and he pans out then you look like a genius. However if he busts then you are set back at least 3 more years.

There are enough concerns about Newton to at least put doubt in your mind and this is a pick you simply cannot afford to miss on.

If the Panthers have done all their research on Newton, and clearly they will have done, and still feel confident about him then all power to them. But based on the little information that is available to the general public there seems to be some major warning signs.

One year of production
Numerous documented off the field issues(not including whatever his father may or may not have done)
Is he truly devoted to football or being an "entertainer and an icon"
He will be coming from a zone read option offense to a pro style offense

One of those issues is worrying enough for the team drafting 1st overall, however all of them combined are huge.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:14 AM    (permalink
anansi
Rookie

anansi hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Rotoworld has run a story claiming that an unnamed NFL executive has said Newton would go number one if he was white.

For the record I disagree, however if you are one of the people who believe Nolan's unnamed source you have to believe this unnamed source also. Or do you just believe unnamed sources when they say what you want to hear?
anansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:18 AM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
Well hypothetically if you take Newton and he pans out then you look like a genius. However if he busts then you are set back at least 3 more years.
I dont buy the "set back" theory.

With the new CBA the rookie salaries will be different. Cam Newton isn't get 50 mil to go 1 overall like Bradford did. The bonus baby is done.

how much set back can they get from 2-14? 1-15? winless?

Old 04-05-2011, 08:18 AM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just like Vince Young, Newton may perform relatively well out of the gates.

Then NFL defenses will adjust.

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:19 AM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
so how many wins are you suggesting cam newton *guarantees* them?
it gets em in the neighborhood of .500.

7-9, 8-8 etc