Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

View Poll Results: Would a trade involving Wilson and both 1st round picks be ideal for both teams?
Yes! Great for both! 2 20.00%
No... not worth it for the Broncos/Lions... 7 70.00%
This poll is pointless. 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2007, 07:24 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

TacticaLion hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Rumors about Al Wilson just wont go away...

The rumors about trading for Al Wilson started a few weeks ago... but they're back. A few sites (nfl.com and pft.com) have mentioned that the Broncos would like to move him... and the Giants and Lions are both interested.

If the Lions did this, it's a bit obvious that they wouldn't go after Willis. As badly as I want Willis, Wilson is dominant (and the name is similar). So, the Lions could aquire Wilson, then trade down and draft LaRon Landry (or Adams... or someone). It would certinally make for an interesting draft.

[An example: we swap 1st round picks with Denver (#2 and #21)... which leaves them with an extra 1,800 points (according to the trade value chart). The 4th overall pick is worth exactly 1,800 points... and I doubt he'd be drafted 4th overall. I'm not suggesting that they'd do it just like that, but the trade would greatly benefit both teams:

The Broncos would have Jay Cutler throwing to CJesus and Javon Walker... and could fill the hole that Wilson would leave (apparently, they don't want to pay him the money he should receive this year... or something). Anyway, that offense would be SICK!

And, of course, the Lions would have their vetran, stud MLB... and would have a 1st round pick to play with.]

Let me know what everyone thinks. If the Broncos thought of that scenario, I'd be suprised if they didn't take it. If helps both teams.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:30 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd do that scenario if the Broncos threw in a pick. We could take a stud DE or CB at 21. Chris Houston, Hall, Revis could be there.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:36 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
I'd do that scenario if the Broncos threw in a pick. We could take a stud DE or CB at 21. Chris Houston, Hall, Revis could be there.
I agree... and you bring up a very good point.

I've always gotten to our 2nd round picks, and wanted a CB, but haven't wanted the players available. Everyone knows we NEED a CB, so, if we do this, we could probably get Hall or Houston with that pick... which would be ideal.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:21 PM    (permalink
Notredameleo
Pro Bowler

Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love Houston as a prospect, but does anyone else think he is strictly a cover corner? Would he fit in our system?
Old 03-22-2007, 08:38 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notredameleo View Post
I love Houston as a prospect, but does anyone else think he is strictly a cover corner? Would he fit in our system?
Yeah from what I've heard is that he's not the best tackler.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:57 PM    (permalink
Newbs24
Rookie

Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.

Houston would not fit a Tampa 2 D. He is a man-toman corner and struggles in zone. No thanks. Plus Al Wilson is not my favorite. I would rather try and trade down to get P Willie and move back into the 1st for another impact player with picks we may acquire
Newbs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:08 PM    (permalink
broncofan4lyfe
Rookie

broncofan4lyfe hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

well first of all if you guys end up getting al wilson i probably will not be a broncos fan anymore. that could possibly be the worst person to trade off of our team. he is our defensive captain period. and all he has done for us is play amazing the past couple years. so, if the trade happens congrats to you guys your getting a great player, then i will denounce being a bronco.
broncofan4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:09 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan4lyfe View Post
well first of all if you guys end up getting al wilson i probably will not be a broncos fan anymore. that could possibly be the worst person to trade off of our team. he is our defensive captain period. and all he has done for us is play amazing the past couple years. so, if the trade happens congrats to you guys your getting a great player, then i will denounce being a bronco.
Don't worry. All the trade rumors that are beneficial to the Lions never happen.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:10 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So what you're saying is that you would give the value of a top 5 pick for a 30 year old linebacker that right now probably has the value of a late 2nd/early 3rd rounder?

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:45 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
So what you're saying is that you would give the value of a top 5 pick for a 30 year old linebacker that right now probably has the value of a late 2nd/early 3rd rounder?

YA by the time we got this team turned around he'll prob be half retired.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:54 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i doubt the deal would involve our 1st round pick im not sure how much value he has but i think we'd trade our second or third round pick
Old 03-23-2007, 12:07 AM    (permalink
asmitty45
Veteran

asmitty45 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Id do the deal if we got the broncos 1st, 2nd and Al Wilson.
And the broncos got: #2 overall.

we need more than just a swap of picks in any trade scenario,

And id rather have us negotiate for a reasonably longterm contract before we made the trade b/c we dont need to lose him a year after trading for him

fenikz

"Pride comes before the fall" - Mark Dantonio

35-21
asmitty45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:36 AM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by original post
The 4th overall pick is worth exactly 1,800 points... and I doubt he'd be drafted 4th overall. I'm not suggesting that they'd do it just like that, but the trade would greatly benefit both teams:
Swapping firsts was just to give an example of the value. The trade (probably) wouldn't happen like that... they'd have to figure out how valuable Wilson is and how much Denver is willing to give up.

I was thinking about this this morning... and I'd rather have PWillis. But... the coaches mentioned that they'd like an experienced MLB. *shrugs*.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:55 AM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFT.com
POSTED 7:18 p.m. EDT; LAST UPDATED 9:15 a.m. EDT, March 23, 2007

BRONCOS ALMOST TRADED UP TO NO. 2

We mentioned several days ago that a team that we did not name nearly pulled off a trade with the Lions for the No. 2 overall pick in the draft.

We can now report that the team was the Broncos.

The package would have included linebacker Al Wilson, who was linked on Thursday night to a potential trade to the Giants by Adam Schefter of NFL Network. But Wilson's agent, Peter Schaffer, tells the Associated Press that a deal that would send Wilson to New York is not imminent.

"It's a little premature," Schaffer said. "There are a number of teams that are interested in Al -- Al is a player who is definitely in high demand -- but no decision has been made even whether Al will be traded. There's a number of moving parts. We're just going to take it one move at a time."

Schaffer was hired recently by Wilson because his former agent, Norm Nixon, is no longer certified by the NFLPA to represent players.

Wilson, a five-time Pro Bowler, apparently is on the trading block because the team has overspent in free agency.

If the Broncos were to snag the No. 2 overall pick, they likely would be targeting left tackle Joe Thomas, another Schaffer client. They clearly aren't in the market for a first-round quarterback or running back, given the addition of Jay Cutler and Travis Henry in the past 12 months. The other possible pick for the Broncos at No. 2 would be receiver Calvin Johnson.
Another one.

I guess it "almost happened". Interesting.

Although Al Wilson is "older", he's still a great player. Getting him will only help us, as we could STILL draft PWillis and have a LB group of PWillis-AWilson-ESims... which would be one of the best in the NFL. And, when Wilson is at his end, Willis could move to MLB.

I dunno. It all depends on the trade, but I'd like to get Wilson and still have Willis. That would be sick.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:53 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I absolutely love Al Wilson. But I would do that in a sec. I dunno if we'd pick CJ though, possibly Adams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:57 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutlerChris View Post
I absolutely love Al Wilson. But I would do that in a sec. I dunno if we'd pick CJ though, possibly Adams.
Now, I don't think we'd do this. Apparently, Wilson didn't pass his physical... so we'd save the pick (or try to get Vilma).