Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 04-28-2011, 11:47 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jimmy Smith got snapped up by Baltimore.

Bowers is in absolute FREEEEE fall. I'm not sure he goes in the third at this point. Teams feel that strongly about the medical.

Ayers isn't someone who teams are lying awake tonight thinking about taking, I don't think He's more of a "if he falls to us, cool" kind of guy.

I buy Mallet and Dalton to a certain extent. Dalton is likely coveted by teams more at this point...but who is trading up? Cinci probably feels pretty good about taking him two picks later. Buffalo has no reason to trade with us because they know we're not taking a quarterback and don't seem to be in the Dalton OR Mallet fan club. Arizona can stand put and take Mallet so long as Buffalo doesn't want him(but I don't think they even want him, they've got him already...his name is Derek Anderson).

I just don't see a real candidate for a quarterback trade at this point with four teams taking QB's in the top 12.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:48 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Put me on the Houston bandwagon. I like him over Reed.
Honestly, I'd be content if we grabbed J.Sheard.

What 5-techs are we looking at now?
Is R.Moore a possibility in the 2nd?
Interior OL is still an issue...

tommorrow should be fun

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:49 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Crap, I already forgot about the whole Baltimore thing. I still believe we're going to trade out, it would be very much like BB to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:51 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

M.Wilkerson - Ravens (Sad face)
C.Heyward - Steelers (Double sad face)

I wanted Heyward so friggin' bad. My favorite 5-tech in this draft

Old 04-28-2011, 11:52 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNPatsFan View Post
That's true. I try not to sound like I hate Reed. I agree with your assessment. But I do think he's being over valued. In my opinion he should be a 3rd round pick who can play a situational role and hopefully develop into a good starting OLB. But I don't think that's what you want from a first round pick (or 33). You want someone that can be a starter or a significant contributor. I just think people will be disappointed if Reed gets drafted high and they think he's going to come in and make a noticeable difference in the team's pass rush as a rookie.
That's where our primary difference of opinion is then haha. I don't think Reed is going to make anyone forget Clay Matthews in his first year...but what's the one skill that translates right away at the NFL level? Athleticism. Reed has a whole ton of that. You limit is responsibility and role and tell him to just get after the passer initially and you'll be able to get something out of him. Move him around, set him up in situations where the blocker is going to have to chose to block either him or the DE and let him use his speed. We really don't have anyone else on the roster who can do that right now. Tully is more of a beat you with his hands kind of guy and Cunningham is in that mold too(not to mention his issues finishing). He's a project, but recent trends suggest you can use a guys footspeed and then develop him as a complete player along the way/later.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 04-28-2011, 11:54 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From what I was hearing the Pats weren't as high on Heyward as what some of us hoped. Seemed like a great fit but they just didn't rate him that highly.

1 - Anyone but Shea McClellin, Derek Wolfe, Peter Konz, Kendall Reyes, Harrison Smith, Whitney Mercilus or a RB

2 Anyone but McClellin, Wolfe, Doug Martin or an OT

3 Anyone but Wolfe

TNPatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:00 AM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
That's where our primary difference of opinion is then haha. I don't think Reed is going to make anyone forget Clay Matthews in his first year...but what's the one skill that translates right away at the NFL level? Athleticism. Reed has a whole ton of that. You limit is responsibility and role and tell him to just get after the passer initially and you'll be able to get something out of him. Move him around, set him up in situations where the blocker is going to have to chose to block either him or the DE and let him use his speed. We really don't have anyone else on the roster who can do that right now. Tully is more of a beat you with his hands kind of guy and Cunningham is in that mold too(not to mention his issues finishing). He's a project, but recent trends suggest you can use a guys footspeed and then develop him as a complete player along the way/later.
But does he really have a ton of athleticism? I think he's a good athlete but I wouldn't say he's exceptional.

Regardless, if the Pats played their OLB's that way then it would be true. They could take an athletic guy like Reed (or Adalius Thomas) and just let him loose. I always said they should do that with Thomas. Just let him go get the QB and whatever else you get is gravy. They didn't do it with Thomas so I don't know why they would do it with Reed. It's just not the way BB likes to play his OLB's.

1 - Anyone but Shea McClellin, Derek Wolfe, Peter Konz, Kendall Reyes, Harrison Smith, Whitney Mercilus or a RB

3 Anyone but Wolfe

Old 04-29-2011, 12:04 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNPatsFan View Post
But does he really have a ton of athleticism? I think he's a good athlete but I wouldn't say he's exceptional. Regardless, if the Pats played their OLB's that way then it would be true. They could take an athletic guy like Reed (or Adalius Thomas) and just let him loose. I always said they should do that with Thomas. Just let him go get the QB and whatever else you get is gravy. They didn't do it with Thomas so I don't know why they would do it with Reed. It's just not the way BB likes to play his OLB's.
I think he does. 4.6 with a good 10 yard for a 260+ pound guy is pretty damn good. His lifting numbers are pretty insane too. That's not the way we like to play our guys, but that's the thing with Reed; we don't have to. He moves so well laterally that he's not going to be a liability against the run and projects well to being good in zone situations. Not an every down player right away, but he doesn't need to be. We're never going to find this ideal player the team is searching for. It would be a mistake to pass on a guy like Reed and not use him the way every other team would. BB might be the smartest guy in the room, but sometimes he tries to be too smart.

The late book on Thomas was supposedly that he needed to be put in such weird spots to be successful that it really wasn't worth it. Baltimore was made to look like geniuses and Thomas painted as a versatile guy...while really they were hiding his massive limitations. The reps at safety? Likely only on running downs when the blocking was going to his side, ect.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 04-29-2011, 12:29 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/...48278&pcid=155

BB presser is up for my fellow insomniacs.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 04-29-2011, 12:31 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
KJ Wright is my OLB pick for us. Round 3 (70) and that's all we get for OLB.
He's not an OLB though...certainly not for the Pats. He'd be an ILB.

I think they really like Rick Elmore.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:36 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

From the presser;
BB on Solder

"He played left tackle and that will be his position in the NFL."

Interesting.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 04-29-2011, 01:42 AM    (permalink
Nandoss
Rookie

Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
M.Wilkerson - JETS (too angry to care face)
C.Heyward - Steelers (Double sad face)

I wanted Heyward so friggin' bad. My favorite 5-tech in this draft
After watching again some videos on the pass rushers still available if we don't get Houston we'll have to overpay a free agent for it. The next best rusher for me would be Sheard and he is average at best.

I would love Heyward and Wilkerson because of the fit, they'd be great here and it would be great value at 28. Just hope we get Houston a RB and either an OG or WR in the second.
Nandoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:22 AM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

I almost think they should trade back from 33. The guys I would take at 33 are Leshoure, Austin, Dowling, or maybe a WR like Hankerson or Smith. No other names really jump out at me here so if not one of them then a trade back to the 35-45 range makes sense.

3 Anyone but Wolfe

Old 04-29-2011, 08:00 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd like to trade 33 for a 2012 1st and maybe a second or third round pick in this year's draft similar to the Ingram trade. If we were forced to stay put and select someone, I'd take Brandon Harris.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:16 AM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reed or Sheard please, I think they can get Ryan Williams or Mikel Leshoure with (NO's)pick
3. TE - Ben Koyak - Notre Dame
4. LB - AJ Johnson - Tennessee
5. DE - Anthony Chickillo - Miami
6. WR - Tyler Lockett - Kansas State
7. TE - Clive Walford - Miami
RWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:19 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am happy we locked up our bookends with Solder, that was a good move. I am not happy that we still haven't drafted help for our front 7. I understand why we are not taking Bowers but we really need an OLB and a DE. Let's just keep trading back to next year every ******* year. It really is getting ***.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:56 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

It's only been one round. I'm content with the first round.
Our bookends are set and I think we got great value for the 28th pick
Three picks in the 2nd now. I really hope we go BPA or address front seven.
A combination of the two would be awesome

I think J.Houston is a steal at this point.
Scott had his going to us in the third in his last mock
hmmmmm

Old 04-29-2011, 09:01 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm hoping for something like:

#33 for 2012 1st and late second/early third this year a la ingram

56. OG Rodney Hudson, Florida St.

60. FS Marcus Gilchrist, Clemson

L2/E3. C Stefen Wisniewski, Penn St.

74. DE Jarvis Jenkins, Clemson

92. LB Greg Romeus, Pittsburgh
Old 04-29-2011, 09:20 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate that they went with Solder over Castonzo and Sherrod (or Carimi). We can't complain about them not drafting guys that were falling or complain about "value" because we should all know by now how this team works. They take the guy they want when they can get him. The only thing we can really complain about is them wanting the guy they wanted.

I'm pretty sure they would have waited to draft Solder at 28, but wanted Pouncey at 17. Once Pouncey was gone, they just took their 28 man at 17 and traded 28.

I'm sure it will work out, though. Solder probably won't have to play right away...he'll probably get the same treatment Vollmer got.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:28 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post

I like the idea of Jenkins and Romeus late. Just make that top end Reed, Hankerson and Hudson and let's make it happen!

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:31 AM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You think Solder would still be the board. No way look at all the tackles that went. It made the pick VERY justified because there ar eno more LT's in this draft. Solder has as high as a ceiling as Smith and was considered top 10 pick before Colorado's disaster coaching effort.

Im excited yet so impatiently frustrated that year after year we pass on the defensive front 7 prospects.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:32 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

I liked Solder > Castz, Carimi and Sherrod so I liked the pick
I think Castz was just a "safe" pick. Not necesserily the "best" pick
if that makes any sense

Old 04-29-2011, 09:34 AM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

Quote:

Would love this, Hudson would be a top 25 pick if he was 10 pouns heavier and 2 inches taller

I have had a prospect crush on Gilchrist for a goof 8 months now. awesome tackler, great head on his shoulder, long arms,very football smart

Wis wouldn't be needed with Hudson, I also worry about his anchor strength

Jenkins is the LAST 5-tech in this draft IMO. Lunch pal player

Romeus has the size and resume, his back bothers me and heard he isn't so savy for football smart, still could take a chance at that point.

Year after year we miss out on explosion
Old 04-29-2011, 09:55 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I wouldn't mind drafting Romeus...I just wouldn't want to pin all of our pass rush hopes on him. He's not the most natural fit at OLB in the first place and combine that with the injury issues...I really hope we take someone earlier.

As far as Hudson goes, I've never been blown away with him like some have. He looked very average against good competition at the Senior Bowl and supposedly was out of shape too. Might not have the frame or ability to put on the extra weight he'll need to play in the NFL. Our problem has been getting pushed around and bullied by NT's on the interior and I don't think he does anything to change or upgrade that. I would prefer to draft Wisniewski over him first to be honest with you.

BB has some interesting quotes on Solder from that press conference. He expects him to play right away(something he never says) as well as be a LT.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 04-29-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:01 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'd like to trade 33 for a 2012 1st and maybe a second or third round pick in this year's draft similar to the Ingram trade. If we were forced to stay put and select someone, I'd take Brandon Harris.
Yes, I agree. Was just saying that to my roommate this morning, I feel as tho we could certainly trade this pick for a 2012 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote