Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Minnesota Vikings Team Forum

Minnesota Vikings Team Forum Discuss the Vikings

Old 02-07-2012, 05:18 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Chris View Post
I wouldn't think about RG3, but I think he's a bit overated at this point in the process. I like Ponder, I think he has a generally underated QB skill set. While he regressed and was generally inconsistent, he did show flashes and there is stuff to build upon. Particularly how good he was in the redzone 21-27 77.8% 8 tds 1 int. Another example he was pure money on 3rd down before he regressed.
underrated in what way? I think most people recognize that he's a smart player with good mobility and displays shows signs of good accuracy with the short and intermediate passing game...the greatest issue will always be his arm strength and that puts somewhat of a hinderance on the offense and also helps the opposing defense...I guess it all depends on how you view the ceiling of the two quarterbacks

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:01 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
underrated in what way? I think most people recognize that he's a smart player with good mobility and displays shows signs of good accuracy with the short and intermediate passing game...the greatest issue will always be his arm strength and that puts somewhat of a hinderance on the offense and also helps the opposing defense...I guess it all depends on how you view the ceiling of the two quarterbacks
His overall skill set as an NFL QB is under-rated in they manner that generaly many NFL fans assume he has a limited upside. The guy is a very good athlete with good mobility and good scrambling ability(actually rushed for 7.8ypc this year). He has an nice throwing motion, with a quick release, and shows good ball placement and touch(albiet inconsisent at times). Aswell there is his well documented intelligence. The only thing he lacks is elite arm strength. But despite the assumption by most NFL fans he does have more than enough arm strength to make all the required throws from the pocket.

That is a legit NFL franchise QB skill set, and Ponder can be just as good as anyone. That is if he puts in enough work to improve on the mental aspects of the NFL game.

Last edited by Crazy_Chris : 02-07-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:58 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Chris View Post
His overall skill set as an NFL QB is under-rated in they manner that generaly many NFL fans assume he has a limited upside. The guy is a very good athlete with good mobility and good scrambling ability(actually rushed for 7.8ypc this year). He has an nice throwing motion, with a quick release, and shows good ball placement and touch(albiet inconsisent at times). Aswell there is his well documented intelligence. The only thing he lacks is elite arm strength. But despite the assumption by most NFL fans he does have more than enough arm strength to make all the required throws from the pocket.

That is a legit NFL franchise QB skill set, and Ponder can be just as good as anyone. That is if he puts in enough work to improve on the mental aspects of the NFL game.
I disagree that he can make every throw from the pocket and there were instances where he showed that...he doesn't have the ability to stretch a defense and his lack of arm strength hurts his upside

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:28 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
I disagree that he can make every throw from the pocket and there were instances where he showed that...he doesn't have the ability to stretch a defense and his lack of arm strength hurts his upside

1:23-31 yards through the air, with good zip, and without being able to properly step into the throw.
2:59-57 yards through the air, without much effort and with plenty of zip.

1:44- 29 yards through the air deep comeback from the opposite hash mark.

I think it's very fair to say he doesn't put enough zip on some of his passes. But the guy does have more than enough arm strength to make the required thorws.

Last edited by Crazy_Chris : 02-08-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:14 PM    (permalink
rchrd
Veteran

rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He definitely has the arm strength, we just had nobody who could beat man coverage or get separation outside of Harvin (well documented by Tom P).

Last edited by rchrd : 02-09-2012 at 02:27 PM.
rchrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:27 PM    (permalink
The_Dude
Pro Bowler

The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i just really want the vikings to trade down from 3. i think that what this team needs the most is another 2nd round pick and an early round pick in 2013.
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:13 PM    (permalink
SterlingArcher
Rookie

SterlingArcher is so money.SterlingArcher is so money.SterlingArcher is so money.SterlingArcher is so money.SterlingArcher is so money.SterlingArcher is so money.SterlingArcher is so money.SterlingArcher is so money.SterlingArcher is so money.SterlingArcher is so money.SterlingArcher is so money.

I am thinking that too. I personally would take Reiff and an extra second rounder vs Kalil alone.
SterlingArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:17 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingArcher View Post
I am thinking that too. I personally would take Reiff and an extra second rounder vs Kalil alone.
I would agree with this, but Kalil is just killing it at the combine. He is going to be pretty hard to pass up if he is there at 3.
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:27 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pelissero is thinking Kalil more then ever now..

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/P..._at_No_3022612
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:09 PM    (permalink
The_Dude
Pro Bowler

The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, Kalil pretty much sealed the #2 or #3 pick with a great showing this weekend. Let's just hope that a wr like Randle or Hill are still there for us at the top of round 2.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:41 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

I was very impressed with Dontari Poe today, if we trade down and Morris Claiborne & Blackmon are gone I think he becomes a legit option.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:28 PM    (permalink
SterlingArcher
Rookie

SterlingArcher is so money.SterlingArcher is so money.SterlingArcher is so money.SterlingArcher is so money.SterlingArcher is so money.SterlingArcher is so money.SterlingArcher is so money.SterlingArcher is so money.SterlingArcher is so money.SterlingArcher is so money.SterlingArcher is so money.

I could see Sanu being there in round 2. Personally I'm hoping StL trades out we land Kalil and somehow Jenkins falls to us in round 2. He has been climbing in a lot of mocks the past month or so but we gotta see how/what he does in Indy tomorrow. Kalil and Jenkins are my dream first 2 picks.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:19 PM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.

I like this first three rounds
(Ahlil
boykin
McNutt
chapman
Kid_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:55 PM    (permalink
Taber21
Veteran

Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What does everyone think of Stephen Hill if he is available at 35, assuming we land Kalil at 3? He obviously blew up at the combine and his stock is rising, some predict up to the back end of round 1. He may be raw, but working in the offense that he was in, blocking was at a premium, which obviously would be appealing to the Vikes as well.
Taber21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:01 PM    (permalink
The_Dude
Pro Bowler

Personally, i like it. But of course it would depend on who else is sitting there.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:18 PM    (permalink
BuckNaked
All-NFLDC

BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Kendall Wright drops now cause of his bad 40 time that would be a pretty wet dream.
BuckNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:00 PM    (permalink
SterlingArcher
Rookie

I think Wright will get his time back up at his pro day. I highly doubt he is there at 35 but stranger things have happened.

I'm still hoping that we get a WR in free agency since thats a deep crop this year. I think our passing game will improve this year with Ponder and Rudolph having an NFL offseason and the possible addition of Kalil.

I'm hoping Jenkins (highly doubt it), Gilmore (possible), or another future starting DB is there at 35.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:06 PM    (permalink
singe_101
Rookie

singe_101 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.singe_101 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.singe_101 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.singe_101 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.singe_101 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.singe_101 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.singe_101 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.singe_101 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.singe_101 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.singe_101 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.singe_101 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Take Mt. Kalil... reclaim that nickname! Get another OL on Hutch's level.

Thanks to RGIII for entering the draft.

Last edited by singe_101 : 03-08-2012 at 01:09 PM.
singe_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:42 PM    (permalink
Taber21
Veteran

Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe_101 View Post
Take Mt. Kalil... reclaim that nickname! Get another OL on Hutch's level.

Thanks to RGIII for entering the draft.
Well Kalil shouldn't really be considered "Mt." but he is certainly the right pick for us at 3.
Taber21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:45 AM    (permalink
The_Dude
Pro Bowler

No more concerns about the Rams taking Kalil at 2. now it's just time for the Vikings o not screw it up by passing on our LT for the next decade+
Old 03-10-2012, 09:40 AM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

This is a happy and sad day... Very happy that we are assured Kalil, but man that bounty of picks would have been ******* awesome to have.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:15 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hi guys! I'm a Rams fan and I come in peace! I just wanted your opinions...

Now that RGIII is all but locked in Washington, there is talk that Tannehill will become the hot commodity in this year's draft. Cleveland has the #4 pick, so if that happens Minnesota would be sitting in the driver's seat for a team that needs to leapfrog Cleveland, like Miami or Seattle. Do you think the Vikings would like to trade down still, or are they in love with Kalil? What do you think it would take for the following teams to make that trade?

Miami - 8
Kansas City - 11
Seattle - 12

Hey thanks!
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:40 PM    (permalink
marshallb
All-Pro

marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
Hi guys! I'm a Rams fan and I come in peace! I just wanted your opinions...

Now that RGIII is all but locked in Washington, there is talk that Tannehill will become the hot commodity in this year's draft. Cleveland has the #4 pick, so if that happens Minnesota would be sitting in the driver's seat for a team that needs to leapfrog Cleveland, like Miami or Seattle. Do you think the Vikings would like to trade down still, or are they in love with Kalil? What do you think it would take for the following teams to make that trade?

Miami - 8
Kansas City - 11
Seattle - 12

Hey thanks!
I think they would be open to moving down still, but it would take a nice package(not as nice as the Rams got, but a pretty steep price nonetheless). You have to look into every option out there, and while I love Kalil and think he's going to be a stud LT for a long time, you have to remember that the Vikings are rebuilding and aren't just a couple players away from getting back into contention, we're more like a half dozen or so players away, and the longer it takes us to get those players the more that list will grow with guys like Winfield and Kevin Williams getting older, and even Jared Allen will be turning 30 within the next month. And that's all assuming that Ponder's a franchise caliber QB, if not then you're set back even further.

I have no idea what it would actually take as I didn't imagine anyone would give up 2 additional firsts and a second(an early one at that) in order to move up four spots to grab anyone other than Luck. Personally, I would have to have a first next year and a second this year in addition to their first rounder from each of those teams for #3, and even at that I'd have to think about it considering that at 8, Claiborne, Kalil, and Blackmon(although I'm not a huge fan of his and I prefer Floyd) would all be gone, and at 12 or 13, Reiff is all but gone and there's a chance that Poe, DeCastro, Floyd, and even Kirkpatrick are all also gone, leaving us with not a whole lot left to choose from at all.

sig by BK and avy by me
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.
marshallb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:18 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

An interesting article I saw today. It says the Vikings are supposedly debating between Kalil and Claiborne. Not sure how much stock to put into it considering the time of year but here it is...

Quote:
With the top two picks in the draft pretty well set, quarterbacks Andrew Luck of Stanford and Baylor's Robert Griffin III in some order, it's been pretty popular in most circles to assume that Minnesota, with the third overall choice, will pounce on Southern Cal left offensive tackle Matt Kalil.

Such a move certainly would bolster the blindside protection of young starting quarterback Christian Ponder, but also allow the Vikings to move Charles Johnson inside to left guard, probably his better position, as the replacement for Steve Hutchinson, who was released earlier this week.

But a Vikings official insisted to The Sports Xchange that no decision has been made, and that there is still considerable debate about the No. 3 slot.

Although the official didn't acknowledge it, some of the debate is thought to focus on the team's crying need at cornerback, and the viability of LSU's Morris Claiborne in the No. 3 spot. Minnesota ranked No. 26 in defense versus the pass in 2011, and its eight interceptions tied for the league low.

The corner-needy Vikings used eight different starters, and seven different starting combinations, at the position. The team has five cornerbacks on its roster and, after the aging and increasingly brittle Antoine Winfield (158 starts), only Allen Asher (21) has more than eight regular-season starts.

Of course, with Washington dealing up to the second overall spot in the recent blockbuster trade, Minnesota's third slot could be in play now, although it's believed the Vikings haven't had any substantive inquiries yet about it. None are likely to come until closer to the draft.

"But some people here love (Claiborne)," the official said. "I mean really love him."

After a four-year absence from the top 10, there has been a cornerback chosen among the top 10 guys off the board the past two years. Whether he goes to the Vikings or someone else, Claiborne will extend the streak to two months.

Claiborne is regarded as the most natural corner in the draft. Although he ran in the 4.45-4.52 range at the combine, he plays even faster, and is maybe more technically sound than Patrick Peterson, the former LSU cornerback chosen by Arizona last year as the fifth overall pick. It will be interesting to see if Claiborne runs the 40 at LSU's pro day on March 22.

There figures to be a strong Vikings contingent in attendance, as there was at the campus workout for Oklahoma State junior wide receiver Justin Blackmon. He met immediately after his workout with coach Leslie Frazier and officials from the team, the first of many scheduled appointments on his tour of NFL facilities in the next six weeks.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/s...l-at-no-3-slot
Old 03-13-2012, 09:05 PM    (permalink
Vikings4ever
Veteran

Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As much as I'd love to see Kalil anchoring the O-line for the next decade, I'm not opposed to trading out of the three spot, given the right offer.

If Tampa falls in love with Claiborne and offers their first next year or second this year, that still allows the Vikes to take Kalil or Blackmon, and gives them an early pick to fill one of many holes this team has.
Vikings4ever is offline   Reply With Quote