Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-28-2012, 04:19 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Apparently Polk has a degenerative hip condition?

The Blount comparison for Ganaway was an interesting one, would obviously be nice. I don't love taking a RB who doesn't do a lot out the backfield in the passing game, but I still don't think that there's a legitimate back on the teams so I don't mind rolling the dice on somebody and hoping we find a back.

I do like the Robert T. Griffin pick. Nice that the Baylor coaches think he can play center, maybe even right tackle. Could be a guy to develop at guard and he certainly has the size to play tackle. Throw him in the mix, see where he's comfortable, get some versatility on the line. About as good as you can expect in the 6th, think he fits the power style and he's versatile which we were just talking about. Maybe we get lucky and he starts too. Time to pop on some Baylor games.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:21 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Back to back Baylor picks, that was fun! Adding a little to the ground and pound. Maybe Ganaway brings something to the backfield we are missing. His stats are probably inflated because of RGIII. They've compared him to TB's Blount. Hopefully the 2010 version, not 2011. As for RGII (maybe), why not. Another big body to compete on the O-line. Even though he plays guard, maybe he's versatile enough to try tackle. At this point, with all these names going off the board that I've never heard of, I'm not going to complain.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:23 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Two Baylor players back to back. I like the picks both big strong guys who can add to our running attack. So what are we looking at in the 7th?
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:23 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Apparently Polk has a degenerative hip condition?

The Blount comparison for Ganaway was an interesting one, would obviously be nice. I don't love taking a RB who doesn't do a lot out the backfield in the passing game, but I still don't think that there's a legitimate back on the teams so I don't mind rolling the dice on somebody and hoping we find a back.

I do like the Robert T. Griffin pick. Nice that the Baylor coaches think he can play center, maybe even right tackle. Could be a guy to develop at guard and he certainly has the size to play tackle. Throw him in the mix, see where he's comfortable, get some versatility on the line. About as good as you can expect in the 6th, think he fits the power style and he's versatile which we were just talking about. Maybe we get lucky and he starts too. Time to pop on some Baylor games.

Think we echoed each other Derza, lol. You just type faster, and say it better. Agreed on both thoughts.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:56 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bummer! Fugger went to Colts for the selection that Jets included with Stanton.

Finally, Jets drafted someone on my draft board. Never been happened for many years. ugh! You better not let me down, Josh.

Ganaway is the Sparano's type RB. Big and pound RB.

Would be nice if Redskins spelled RGIII's name wrong. heh. He will need to lose some weight to pick up footwork for T job. 2 year starter, one RT and RG in last year.

Not much exciting with Baylor players.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:01 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After watching some Ganaway and Griffin (since I'll be honest, I hadn't watched any of either prior to the draft) I came away with really quick impressions of both. Ganaway is really no faster than Shonn Greene, pretty quick, has some power. Vision's alright, not special, but his lateral movement is pretty impressive for a guy his size. Certainly doesn't look 240. I would've preferred adding a home run hitter to the mix, but if they're going to run the ball a ton I've got no problem with him competing for carries. Like I said before Greene isn't special, maybe he can be upgraded. If he's outplayed by Ganaway I've got no problem with giving him carries. Seems they're pretty confient that Joe McKnight can step up in third down situations. Tough to have 2/4 backs who can't catch the ball out of the backfield.

Griffin is a big dude. Doesn't seem like he really excels in space or has tremendous lateral movement skills, so I'm not sure about how I'd feel about him playing tackle. We'll see what they say at the post-draft presser, I think he might be an emergency tackle but the plan would be to have him inside at guard. That said he's got some strength to work with. Struggled a big against Ta'amu but I think that was technique and hopefully they can get him some work. Looked okay in the run game though, potentially a road grader. Seems like an interesting developmental guy particularly for a run first team. Should help provide some depth. Again it'll be interesting to see if they've got any plan to try him at RT, but I have a feeling the plan is for him to be good depth as an interior lineman. Think they like their depth at tackle with Brick, Howard, Hunger, and Ducasse and they've got Schlauderaff as the successor to Moore because it seems like they love him. But if Griffin can backup both guard spots and center that makes it a solid pick, if he can swing and play tackle in a pinch too that makes it better, and maybe they get lucky and he starts down the road. Worth a shot, but I'm happy they added OL depth.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:20 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Anyone know where i can see some tape on our last three picks?
Old 04-28-2012, 05:58 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

Still got Allen! Things couldn't have gone any better
Old 04-28-2012, 06:11 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tannebaum seem to like aging prospects. Greene, Davis, White, Pouha and few others. Interesting.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:25 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love our 7th round picks. Antonio Allen is a guy I thought would go in the 3rd or 4th. WR Jordan White is a personal favorite of mine. He's a slot receiver and I know we have Kerley but still, I love the pick.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:13 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Jets sign

Damon Harrison, DL, William Penn
Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State
Ryan Steed, CB, Furman

Coryell Judie and Dwight Jones went undrafted? wow...
Old 04-28-2012, 07:22 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Love the Steed signing. Everyone had him as a mid rounder.

We didn't sign Moore, Yoto. Detroit did.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-28-2012, 08:24 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you think about our two Safeties we drafted, combined they would seem to have everything we need at the Safety position. Maybe we should just not start Landry. Haha.

White seems really interesting. I love his confidence and the fact that he destroyed the teams he played from the major conferences. It's unfortunate that we really won't ever use a slot receiver, but regardless, it's a nice pick.

I'm really content with our draft. Probably the only pick I'm worried about is Coples, but he's going to be playing such a non-premier position that big stat totals won't even be asked of him. If he can just see playing time, he'll be doing good.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:43 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

List of UDFA's so far. (Taken from nepatriotsdraft.com)

Damon Harrison, DT, William Penn
Ryan Steed, CB, Furman
Brett Roy, DE, Nevada
GJ Kinne, QB, Tulsa
Brian Linthicum, TE, Michigan State
Donovan Robinson, DE, Jackson St
Brody McKnight, K, Montana

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-28-2012, 09:12 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Like the Steed signing. Another one of those coaches favorite players. Reminds me of the Woodhead signing years ago.

Interesting blurb from Rotoworld:

"Steed was actually mentioned in the first-round discussion early in the draft process, but slow forty times at the Combine knocked him from early-round talks, and a medical issue knocked him out of the draft. He is a bright, hardworking corner with top-notch cover skills for a small schooler. We suspect he'll become a favorite of the Jets' coaching staff in short order."
Old 04-28-2012, 09:42 PM    (permalink
Cbrunn
Rookie

Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if the reports are true and you guys signed Marcus Dowtin ... just want to congratulate you guys on getting a great LB ... my favorite player in this draft just youtube him , he's a beast ... could become a steal of this draft as a UFA
Cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:09 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

the site made a mistake. don't blame it on me.

Dowtin is with us indeed.

no punter as of now? grr.

Damon Harrison, DT, William Penn
Ryan Steed, CB, Furman
Brett Roy, DE, Nevada
GJ Kinne, QB, Tulsa
Brian Linthicum, TE, Michigan State
Donovan Robinson, DE, Jackson St
Brody McKnight, K, Montana
John Cullen, OT, Utah
D’Anton Lynn, CB, Penn State
Donovan Robinson, LB, SC State
Marcus Dowtin, LB, Northern Alabama
Donnie Fletcher, CB, Boston College
Old 04-29-2012, 09:27 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Interesting that they hit a few need spots in the UDFA signings. Don't know anything about the majority of the small school guys, but it's not that hard to tell what they plan on doing with them based on size I guess.

Think corner depth is an issue, I bet they sign a vet but it'd be nice if one of Fletcher and Steed stick. Both were draftable guys, Scott's 21st and 28th ranked corners. Going to try to watch some of them in a bit.

Roy has 5-tech size and although there's depth at that position those late round guys tend to potentially stick under Ryan, Scott's 21st ranked DT. Donovan Robinson is definitely going to stand up at around 230, 235. Had 30 sacks in his career and supposedly ran in the mid 4.4 to mid 4.5 range unofficially at his pro day, so he's an interesting project. Scott's 31st ranked OLB. Harrison's like 6'4, 350 so definitely a NT pet project. If Tevaseu doesn't make the active roster or gets picked up elsewhere, I could see them keeping him on the practice squad and seening how they can develop him.

Marcus Dowtin seems like he's going to be an ILB prospect, another SEC to North Alabama guy like Janoris Jenkins. Scott's 10th ranked ILB actually, seems like he's got lots of tools so worth a shot. Lynn is the RB coach's son, so nice to see him get a camp shot but not sure he's an NFL player, supposedly he's pretty stiff and not all that fast (4.77). Scott's 35th ranked corner, at almost 6' and 206 pounds wonder if they try to kick him into safety.

McKnight's obviously going to compete for the kicking job but seems like he's mostly a camp leg and Cullen was Scott's 28th ranked OT so he's probably a depth guy for camp. Kinne's going to be a camp arm, would be surprised if they keep more than 3 guys at QB this year. Scott's 14th ranked QB. And Linthincum I think has a legit shot to stick given there's not much at TE on the roster, Scott's 13th ranked TE and a decent blocker. He'll probably compete with Josh Baker for that third TE spot.

Also the UDFA's we signed who are in Scott's top 253 are: Steed (156), Fletcher (196), Dowtin (226), and Roy (230). I know Scott's rankings are only one person's opinion, but at least it gives some perspective on how these guys are regarded by someone.

I definitely wasn't around for the last 2 picks so didn't comment on those either. Very happy with Allen, I don't think anyone would've been that thrown off if we took him as high as round 3-5 if we had picks all in that range. Should be an interesting guy to try to develop as a strong safety, certainly hits and moves pretty well. Fits the "throw as much crap next to Landry as you can against the wall, and hope something better than Eric Smith sticks" strategy.

White's an interesting guy to take a shot on. Serious knee issues and didn't run well at all, but this late I think it can't hurt to see if a guy who was super productive in college can be super productive in the pros. Some guys are just gamers, we'll see how he does in camp. The WR spot should actually be a little crowded, I'd imagine it'll come down to White or Turner getting cut unless they want to keep 6.

Last edited by derza222 : 04-29-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:39 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

first off I think we had one of the best drafts of any team. Secondly I think the Dowtin pick up was very nice Ive seen him play a few times and hes a beast guy plays from sideline to sideline and is in on every play. Hopefully he can bulk up a bit and maybe be an impact at inside linebacker for us
Old 04-29-2012, 07:42 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't pay attention to your draft outside the first 2 rounds, but I'm sooooo jealous you guys got Stephen Hill. He was my #1 guy for the Giants, so it's safe to say I was very disappointed when we didn't draft him. I love Stephen Hill, I think if given the proper coaching and with some patience, the guy is going to be a beast.

I'm not a huge fan of Coples though. I don't see the fit. He's a 4-3 guy to me. He's too small to play 3-4 DE and too big to play OLB. He's at his best as an inside rusher on a 4 man line in the nickel package. But he's more of a sub package specialist to me, I don't see him as an every down player in your system. And I really didn't like his character/work ethic concerns.

But I love the Hill pick. Good call passing on Ingram, I don't see Ingram panning out in teh NFL bc 29" arms aren't going to get it done.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:28 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I think we're all thrilled with Hill, and share your Coples concerns. Hill's going to get on the field early with low expectations, which is probably good. Essentially I think he's going to run straight to try to open things up for Holmes and Keller, get some deep targets (especially off playaction) and red zone looks, and block. I'm thinking kind of like Torrey Smith for the Ravens last year. But hopefully they're able to develop him properly, because I think he could be an absolute monster as well. Love the fact that he seems to want to come in and work hard as well, he knows he's got a way to go.

Coples I have concerns about, mostly because of the work ethic issues. Fit I'm not as worried about. I think he's close to big enough to play the five technique in the 3-4 provided he puts on a few pounds, and he's pretty stout against the run anyway. Plus the scheme's not really a pure 3-4 and the hybrid elements will mask the issue some. They'll probably be using DeVito in running situations and Coples in passing situations while bulking Coples up and getting him ready for a full time role in 2013. I also think there are some signs that the team's going to run some more 4-3, they've talked about it in press conferences, new DL coach Karl Dunbar from Minnesota is more of a 4-3 guy, Coples seems like he's at his best on the interior of a 4-3 and as a move around guy there, and the new LB they took in the third round Demario Davis is a little light for the 3-4 too. Who knows, they run 4-3 more than you'd think anyway for being labeled a 3-4 team, but it's worth considering.

Basically the only other major pick of note was Davis, who seems like a great athlete for a LB. Supposedly pretty good in coverage but also likes to attack and move forward too. Seems like he'll fit the style well and his ability to cover will be welcome since the Jets' LB's have been awful in coverage. He'll probably play specials and in sub packages this year (especially in passing situations when they want Scott off the field) and start at ILB next to Harris in 2013 after Scott gets cut. Aside from that it was some late round picks (two safeties, an interior lineman, a 240 pound running back, and a slot receiver). Safeties will probably get on the field more than I'd like 6th and 7th round rookies too with Eric Smith's coverage issues and Landry's inability to stay healthy and the back will probably get some carries because the stable of RB's isn't all that great, but that's likely it.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:34 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think we're all thrilled with Hill, and share your Coples concerns. Hill's going to get on the field early with low expectations, which is probably good. Essentially I think he's going to run straight to try to open things up for Holmes and Keller, get some deep targets (especially off playaction) and red zone looks, and block. I'm thinking kind of like Torrey Smith for the Ravens last year. But hopefully they're able to develop him properly, because I think he could be an absolute monster as well. Love the fact that he seems to want to come in and work hard as well, he knows he's got a way to go.

Coples I have concerns about, mostly because of the work ethic issues. Fit I'm not as worried about. I think he's close to big enough to play the five technique in the 3-4 provided he puts on a few pounds, and he's pretty stout against the run anyway. Plus the scheme's not really a pure 3-4 and the hybrid elements will mask the issue some. They'll probably be using DeVito in running situations and Coples in passing situations while bulking Coples up and getting him ready for a full time role in 2013. I also think there are some signs that the team's going to run some more 4-3, they've talked about it in press conferences, new DL coach Karl Dunbar from Minnesota is more of a 4-3 guy, Coples seems like he's at his best on the interior of a 4-3 and as a move around guy there, and the new LB they took in the third round Demario Davis is a little light for the 3-4 too. Who knows, they run 4-3 more than you'd think anyway for being labeled a 3-4 team, but it's worth considering.

Basically the only other major pick of note was Davis, who seems like a great athlete for a LB. Supposedly pretty good in coverage but also likes to attack and move forward too. Seems like he'll fit the style well and his ability to cover will be welcome since the Jets' LB's have been awful in coverage. He'll probably play specials and in sub packages this year (especially in passing situations when they want Scott off the field) and start at ILB next to Harris in 2013 after Scott gets cut. Aside from that it was some late round picks (two safeties, an interior lineman, a 240 pound running back, and a slot receiver). Safeties will probably get on the field more than I'd like 6th and 7th round rookies too with Eric Smith's coverage issues and Landry's inability to stay healthy and the back will probably get some carries because the stable of RB's isn't all that great, but that's likely it.
Yeah you guys really aren't a true 4-3. You run a lot of 46 bear too, definitely a hybrid defense. I love Rex's schemes. He's such a good DC.

I think idealy Rex wants to run a lot of 46 looks regardless of whether it's in a 34 front or a 43 front.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:42 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Yeah you guys really aren't a true 4-3. You run a lot of 46 bear too, definitely a hybrid defense. I love Rex's schemes. He's such a good DC.

I think idealy Rex wants to run a lot of 46 looks regardless of whether it's in a 34 front or a 43 front.
Yeah for sure, the offense sucks, but I do love Rex and the schemes that the team runs on defense.

The 46 is why the 7th round safety they took is an interesting guy. He was basically a box safety his entire time at South Carolina, pretty much exclusively lined up in the slot or as a linebacker and never deep. Should be comfortable with those 46 looks.

Hybrid's why I'm not so worried about Coples because fronts are going to mix up and may not mean all that much for what's being run since the 3-4 isn't as heavy on gap control as a classic 2 gap. Still though, the effort and love for the game questions bug me. I get that it kind of sucked at UNC and obviously the team's sold, but I don't think anybody else was. Never like rolling the dice on a guy like that.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:52 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Yeah for sure, the offense sucks, but I do love Rex and the schemes that the team runs on defense.

The 46 is why the 7th round safety they took is an interesting guy. He was basically a box safety his entire time at South Carolina, pretty much exclusively lined up in the slot or as a linebacker and never deep. Should be comfortable with those 46 looks.

Hybrid's why I'm not so worried about Coples because fronts are going to mix up and may not mean all that much for what's being run since the 3-4 isn't as heavy on gap control as a classic 2 gap. Still though, the effort and love for the game questions bug me. I get that it kind of sucked at UNC and obviously the team's sold, but I don't think anybody else was. Never like rolling the dice on a guy like that.
I think slowly, teams are realizing that nickel defense is the new "base" defense in the league, and they're drafting players so they can run nickel for the entire game.

You have to now, with teams running more no huddle and spread sets, you need a nickel defense that's versatile enough to stop the run and pass effectively. So these box safeties that can play LB in the nickel, physical CBs who can tackle, nickel CBs who can blitz, 3 down NTs, all of these types are starting to build draft value.

We've run nickel strong as our base defense for 2 years now. GB runs a 2-4-5 as their base defense. I think KC is trying to go with more nickel fronts.

I think our base defenses are pretty much sub packages now. Which is why I'm surprised more teams aren't trying to counter that by developing 2 TE offenses to counter the adjustments of defenses getting smaller.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:05 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I think slowly, teams are realizing that nickel defense is the new "base" defense in the league, and they're drafting players so they can run nickel for the entire game.

You have to now, with teams running more no huddle and spread sets, you need a nickel defense that's versatile enough to stop the run and pass effectively. So these box safeties that can play LB in the nickel, physical CBs who can tackle, nickel CBs who can blitz, 3 down NTs, all of these types are starting to build draft value.

We've run nickel strong as our base defense for 2 years now. GB runs a 2-4-5 as their base defense. I think KC is trying to go with more nickel fronts.

I think our base defenses are pretty much sub packages now. Which is why I'm surprised more teams aren't trying to counter that by developing 2 TE offenses to counter the adjustments of defenses getting smaller.
That's a good point. I think the Jets have felt that way for awhile ago, when they took Kyle Wilson a few years ago with Revis and Cromartie on the roster they basically said he's essentially going to be a starter as the third corner. That's likely why a guy like Ta'amu slipped this year, whereas we saw a guy with the pass rushing upside of Poe go earlier.

I'm curious to see how teams start combating the two TE offense. Based on who the Jets were bringing in this year, I had a feeling they might essentially bring in one of the jumbo CB's with stiffer hips than you'd like essentially with the primary purpose of having them cover tight ends.

My thought was a guy who might have been a CB/FS tweener (Trumaine Johnson, Brandon Hardin) could hold value in that regard provided he can tackle, because TE's right now are just mismatch nightmares. The bigger corners don't necessarily need to be quite as fluid if they're not going to be running with the smaller, quicker receivers of the world, but if you can match them up on tight ends in passing situations I think there's value to that, and you might be able to get a guy like that later than you would a true corner, linebacker, or safety capable of covering a tight end because they'll get labeled as a tweener.

The safety position's going to continue to evolve too as the league becomes more pass heavy, but like you said those box guys who essentially are capable of functioning as linebackers have some value too. It's interesting to see where the league moves. I've got a feeling it's going to be somewhat cyclical too, eventually as we see defenses continue to get smaller to combat the pass teams will be able to run the ball if they really make an effort too. Think that's more than a couple of years away, but I could see it happening eventually.