Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 05-11-2011, 05:35 PM    (permalink
Hellisan
Rookie

Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Overall Thoughts About the Podcast and This Year's Draft

First of all, I would like to extend my thanks to Scott and Shane for producing a podcast that I enjoy and really learn a lot from. I listened to every single one over the past months and enjoyed your take as we went from the end of the year, to the senior bowl, and into the combine etc. Big thanks.

I just had a few thoughts on this draft class as a whole. Obviously I'm just a football fan in general and these aren't the thoughts of somebody who has access to scouting film or the time to review every game.

Podcast thoughts, constructive criticism:

Two things.. 1) Scott's nonstop "if you don't have a QB, it doesn't matter" take. You can hear this once a podcast. Shane repeatedly has made the argument "what if they don't like a QB at that pick?" Which I agree with wholeheartedly. Yes the QB position is important. Yes, at some point, you will need a great one to win a Superbowl. But the key word there is GREAT. Drafting a QB just to get a QB is pointless and you're doing your team a huge disservice. Is there a GREAT QB in this class? Who knows, and who knows how all these teams see these guys.

2) Shane breathing into the mic. As an example, listen to the intro of the NFC West Draft review part 1.... Fix that please, it feels creepy! :D (I'm partly kidding... I have this problem myself when I talk on the phone and have to be careful....)

One final thing about the podcast.... And more than anything I want to know what others think here... But I don't like when you guys take calls at all. Some of the weirdest, most awkward calls were on those post-draft shows and although I can tell you guys really like having callers... It's really bad "radio." In particular, when you're going to review a round, and then get sidetracked and half the show is bad calls and you only discussed the top 10 picks... I guess it was just really not what I was looking for. I'd like to hear thoughts from others on that one. I know you were going to cover all the picks later, but still didn't like it.

The thing that I really liked about this draft, and about this class of players, is that for the first time, the copy-cat scouting was down to a minimum because of the fact that the class was so segmented and (let's face it) average. If you only bought the Sporting News draft guide for 7.99 at Barnes and Noble, and that's ALL YOU KNEW about these players... You'd think the Chargers just had a great class..... They had (for instance) Mouton as a 2nd round pick and the 7th rated OLB and said nothing but positive things about him. In fact I came away convinced that AJ Smith is a Sporting News reader, as all his picks were rated much higher there than anywhere else. If you bought any of the other mags, or listened to the podcasts I did and watched the TV coverage I did, you'd think it was terrible. Who's right? Only time will tell. It was cool to see all the different mags doing their own work this time around.

Finally, it was sure weird to see guys who never demonstrated dominance over the college game go so early in the draft at QB. I know teams conceivably had to reach a bit because of the free agency situation but if I were in charge of a team I would have resisted doing this. In particular, I think that Blaine Gabbert will be a huge bust. I think that due to his size and maybe athleticism it has been the perception that he also has a good arm, but in the red zone he REALLY struggles, and I think at least in part this is due to an arm that really lacks zip. He throws with a really abbreviated motion and it seems every throw comes out the same speed and just kind of dies on him a little. I have seen quite a few situations where he made a decent read and the ball just took forever to get there so it got batted down.

On the other hand, maybe his weird motion is a positive in the end, like Rivers? I don't see it, but maybe. And add in the fact that neither he or Locker really had much help, and maybe they have the talent to be coached up at the next level... Again, who knows... Weird class and a weird year.

Last edited by Hellisan : 05-11-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Hellisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:12 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Scott repeating his take on QBs because he's right. Most franchise QBs are first round picks and many teams and fans are still scared to take a risk on a first round QB, thinking their team will get the next Tom Brady in the 6th round or that the perfect QB prospect will fall to them in next year's Draft.

I don't mind Shane's breathing, but fixing little quirks like that certainly don't hurt production quality.

Overall, I like taking calls, but then again I call occasionally. Maybe I'm one of the awkward callers. I don't know.

Not every quality NFL player dominated in college and not every dominant college player becomes a quality pro player. The bottom line is players are drafted based on what a team thinks they will be in the NFL, not what they were in college.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:47 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I like Scott repeating his take on QBs because he's right. Most franchise QBs are first round picks and many teams and fans are still scared to take a risk on a first round QB, thinking their team will get the next Tom Brady in the 6th round or that the perfect QB prospect will fall to them in next year's Draft.
Matt Schaub was a third round pick and he's definitely not the problem in Houston, Kevin Kolb was a second round pick and it looks like some team is going to hitch their wagon to him going forward. Heck, Matt Flynn was a seventh round pick and there was talk that some team may pursue him as a starting QB. To say that you simply can't get a starting calibre quarterback outside the first round is silly. You miss a lot when you pick those guys later, but you miss more at every position later in the draft.

Shane's point of "If you don't like any of the QBs that are available to you at that spot, you shouldn't pick one" is dead on 100% correct. Teams should never take a player that they don't like or don't have graded highly just because they have a "need" at that position; if you have a third round grade on Jake Locker, don't take him in the top 5. Draftniks and media people have to like every prospect, but teams don't. Teams can out and out hate a prospect and just refuse to draft him in any round, but Scott, Mel Kiper, and Mayock would never say "don't draft him" about any prospect in the draft. I will never rip a team for not drafting a player who fills a "need" because that team may not have had a draftable grade period on the player we think they need. People like to talk about how if you don't have a QB you have nothing, but trying to build around a QB Bust is potentially more damaging to your franchise than simply not going aggressively after a quarterback.

Last edited by PossibleCabbage : 05-11-2011 at 06:50 PM.
PossibleCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:56 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You shouldn't pick any player you don't like lol...

Why should that policy apply only to QBs?

It damages a franchise to draft a bust at any position. It can set a franchise forward a decade or more to hit on a QB.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:59 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Because when you draft an Alex Smith, you get your job tied to it more than if you draft a bust at another position, and with the price tag you pay, you're forced to start and play him and give him chances for years. BEcause just like you "can't" risk passing him, you can't risk cutting ties, paying him a ton of money, and then him succeeding elsewhere.

If you think you have a top tier QB on the board, go with it. It's a no brainer. If not, don't do it just to please draftniks.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:02 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You shouldn't pick any player you don't like lol...

Why should that policy apply only to QBs?

It damages a franchise to draft a bust at any position. It can set a franchise forward a decade or more to hit on a QB.
I agree, "you shouldn't pick a player you don't like should apply to every team" and every position. I mean, if the Texans didn't have a very good grade on Amukamara, then not taking him is correct and defensible. But "such and such team needs a QB, and *I* have him ranked highly as a QB" is not sufficient to say that they screwed up by picking someone else. I mean, we've all read copious draft post mortems where an analyst rips at team for passing on Brady Quinn, Brian Brohm, or Jimmy Clausen.

We forget that even the top draftniks at one point had those guys as first round picks, or high first round picks. The "second round QBs don't work out" is actually a testament to NFL teams' ability to actually evaluate quarterbacks, since with any QB taken in the second round at least thirty-two times a team has taken a look and decided "He's not the highest player on our board right now." If between all rosters, there are fewer than 32 franchise quarterbacks in the NFL, how many do you expect to find in the average draft? More or less than the demand for them?

We want to rip NFL teams for not taking a QB that we have rated highly and because we perceive a need at that position, but we don't give NFL teams credit when it turns out that we overrated that guy and NFL teams were right to pass on guys like Brian Brohm.

Last edited by PossibleCabbage : 05-11-2011 at 07:05 PM.
PossibleCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:05 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Not finding a QB costs people jobs. It's not a safe move to wait around for the perfect QB to fall into your lap. The years will pass, that QB will never come along, the team will not be consistently competitive and the organization will move in a different direction at coach and/or GM. It's flawed logic to think it's safe to wait around on a QB.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:07 PM    (permalink
Hellisan
Rookie

Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Overall, I like taking calls, but then again I call occasionally. Maybe I'm one of the awkward callers. I don't know.
I think the occasional bad call stands out to me more than anything (there was one recently where they asked his name... and the guy says "you don't need to know my name" and then has a horrible 8-10 minute call where I could hardly make out anything he said... ) On one hand I could reduce my expectations of the podcast and be more patient with calls which are mostly fine... It's just not why I listen to the podcast. I would much rather have them answer good email questions that were sent in ahead of time or posted on the forums.

Just one man's take and certainly it's more important what the majority thinks.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:08 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

There are busts at every position. About 1 out of every 2 or 3 first round QBs never become quality starting QBs. However, busts happen at other positions too. With a QB the reward is much greater. Even if a team hits on a non-QB position, they won't win without a QB.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:26 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thanks for the kind words and advice, it's appreciated.

Most of all, thanks for listening!!!

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:33 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellisan View Post
2) Shane breathing into the mic. As an example, listen to the intro of the NFC West Draft review part 1.... Fix that please, it feels creepy! :D (I'm partly kidding... I have this problem myself when I talk on the phone and have to be careful....)

Haha, thanks man, I shall work hard to fix it! I just have my mic to close. It shall be rectified for next year! :)

Thanks though for listening and sharing your thoughts, always appreciate it and I hope to stick around and keep doing this with Scott for awhile. Had a ton of fun and I'm to work during the offseason to fix some of the technical difficulties faced.

Hopefully others will share theirs thoughts/constructive criticism as well!

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:58 PM    (permalink
Hellisan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Thanks for the kind words and advice, it's appreciated.

Most of all, thanks for listening!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
Haha, thanks man, I shall work hard to fix it! I just have my mic to close. It shall be rectified for next year! :)

Thanks though for listening and sharing your thoughts, always appreciate it and I hope to stick around and keep doing this with Scott for awhile. Had a ton of fun and I'm to work during the offseason to fix some of the technical difficulties faced.

Hopefully others will share theirs thoughts/constructive criticism as well!

This is what makes the site great, grounded individuals who love what they do, thanks guys.