Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

View Poll Results: Grade the Cowboys Offseason
A 8 26.67%
B 19 63.33%
C 1 3.33%
D 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2007, 07:19 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Offseason Grade

Toss the homer bias aside for a sec. How would you honestly grade our offseason so far?

New Coach:
Wade Phillips

New Offensive Coordinator:
Jason Garrett

New Defensive Coordinator:
Brain Stewart

Players Released:
QB Drew Bledsoe
OT Jason Fabini
TE Ryan Hannam

Players Lost:
DE Kenyon Coleman
LB Ryan Fowler
C Al Johnson

Unsigned Restricted FAs:
WR Patrick Crayton
DE Junior Glymph

Players Signed:
C Andre Gurode
FS Ken Hamlin
OT Marc Colombo
OG Leonard Davis
K Martin Gramatica
QB Brad Johnson
OG Jim Molinaro

Last edited by D-Unit : 03-24-2007 at 03:17 PM.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:23 PM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

B for me. My only complain is that we haven't resigned Crayton to a long term deal. But maybe we will give him a new contract during the season.
Our OL seems to be good, and we've signed a veteran FS who maybe can solve our problems...

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just have to say. This is the first offseason that I can remember where I could go into the draft ignoring starting positions and strictly focus on second string depth and future considerations at specific positions. I don't know how to contain my excitement!!!

As far as the draft goes, I am open to drafting ANY position!
Old 03-23-2007, 07:38 PM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.

Now you know how I feel D-Unit. I give us an A!

We can do whatever we want in the draft. Hell, lets trade our whole F'in draft and get Calvin Johnson!
Old 03-23-2007, 07:39 PM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I just have to say. This is the first offseason that I can remember where I could go into the draft ignoring starting positions and strictly focus on second string depth and future considerations at specific positions. I don't know how to contain my excitement!!!

As far as the draft goes, I am open to drafting ANY position!
You always give us fans a chance to be optimistic. Way to go, d-unit :D

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:06 PM    (permalink
Im_a_Romosexual
Pro Bowler

Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd give it a solid B. also you have put crayton on unsigned RFA, but he was tendered. Did he not sign?
Im_a_Romosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:07 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_a_Romosexual View Post
I'd give it a solid B. also you have put crayton on unsigned RFA, but he was tendered. Did he not sign?
There has been no news that he has signed yet as far as I know.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:09 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano View Post
You always give us fans a chance to be optimistic. Way to go, d-unit :D
That's right... I used to be a lot more cheery than I have been lately. I'll try to pick it up! :D
Old 03-23-2007, 09:14 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Grade moves up to a B+ with the Hamlin signing...I LOVE it!
Old 03-23-2007, 09:16 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNewFan41 View Post
Now you know how I feel D-Unit. I give us an A!

We can do whatever we want in the draft. Hell, lets trade our whole F'in draft and get Calvin Johnson!
I didn't put in a grade yet and I don't know if I'll give us an A.... So hold your horses, young buck... we may not share the same feelings. ;)

...and I'm tellin' ya... It's gotta be Alan Branch. Alan Branch baby!

Either that or trading out of this year's draft, picking up a 1st next year and an extra 2nd and some day 2 picks... kinda like what we did with Buffalo a few years back.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:25 PM    (permalink
dc4life
Rookie

dc4life needs more cowbell.

Quote:
I didn't put in a grade yet and I don't know if I'll give us an A.... So hold your horses, young buck... we may not share the same feelings. ;)

...and I'm tellin' ya... It's gotta be Alan Branch. Alan Branch baby!

Either that or trading out of this year's draft, picking up a 1st next year and an extra 2nd and some day 2 picks... kinda like what we did with Buffalo a few years back.
Heard Branch is slipping down, and will probably not be a top 10 pick anymore. Wonder how far he could drop.
dc4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:40 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc4life View Post
Heard Branch is slipping down, and will probably not be a top 10 pick anymore. Wonder how far he could drop.
If he drops into the teens and we don't make a move up to get him, I'm going to be furious.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:51 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with a B+. We filled our needs with solid players-very good players, but we have to wait for the draft. It could easily turn into a A if we have a good one. Still lack depth at NT and O-line, youth a CB and WR, and Grammatica isn't exactly the kicker of our dreams. But we definitely upgraded the major sore spots for us last year in FS and RG.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:02 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

B+ or A-

Didn't get the big targets for RG...but still got someone who should be above average.

Brought back everyone we needed...I'm pretty excited.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:22 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We need to do this again after the draft. :D
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:25 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Considering the FA Market of available players I have decided to give the Cowboys the grade of a solid A.

The players that we released, needed to be released. The players that we lost did not cut the rug from under us. It did not leave us in a state of chaos and scrambling. The players that we acquired as a whole have to be considered a huge success.

We were REALLY in a state of panic for a while with the whole FA Guard market. The good guards were flying off the shelves the minute FA started. Steinbach and Dockery never left their first visit and Deilman didn't even walk out his front door. Getting Davis was imperative and we got a guy who wanted to play for us. I love the signing more than the Kosier signing last year. Things should work out great!

To be honest, I never thought we even had a shot with Brad Johnson. The guy is a true winner and I was happily suprised that we were able to reel him in. So much better than the Joey Harrington, Shaun King, Tim Rattay names out there.

Columbo left us biting our fingernails, but in the end, we got our guy at the perfect price.

Hell and it's been so long since the signing that I forgot about Andre Gurode's extension this offseason!!! What a coup! Hats off to Jerry for a job well done and not letting Gurode hit the market. He would've commanded a lot more once he saw the money being thrown out there.

It would've been nice to have Josh Brown, but Seattle wasn't about to let him go. ...and understandably so. Compared to the rest of the kickers out there, I think Gramatica gives us just as good a chance if not better. Stash him away in our back pockets and hope he doesn't burn a hole.

...and Ken "The Hammer" Hamlin. 1 year, 2.5M. Wow. Even for a rental that's a damn good price. It's like we got an Escalade for the price of a Dodge. I'm excited about our experience in the secondary. Heck, our safety depth is really nice too!

With all of these marvelous additions, I am one happy camper! There's not one signing that I'm scratching my head about. This prepares us to be as aggressive or as passive as we want heading into the draft. Looks like Parcells left an impression on Jerry afterall!!! :D :D :D

Oh! ...and he hired WADE!!! Bring on that Charger 3-4!!! Just Bring it!!!
Old 03-23-2007, 10:26 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still remain scared as hell about NT. Ferguson goes down, so does the rest of the defense.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:27 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
We need to do this again after the draft. :D
With Parcells on quick dial, we need not worry. :D
Old 03-24-2007, 02:14 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Hell and it's been so long since the signing that I forgot about Andre Gurode's extension this offseason!!! What a coup! Hats off to Jerry for a job well done and not letting Gurode hit the market. He would've commanded a lot more once he saw the money being thrown out there.
excellent point!
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 02:23 PM    (permalink
Veteran

22,895 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

A. Dallas Cowboys have made our weak points better. At FS we got Hamlin (very cheaply) we got Davis and resigned Gurode and Colombo. We got a kicker who did a good job for us after we cut Vjac, and we signed a backup Quarterback to help out Romo. Not to mention we have Jason Garrett who knows a thing or two about Quarterbacks since he was behind the great Troy Aikman. At Head Coach we get an upgrade at Head Coach with Wade Phillips who coached the Chargers who have a lot of the same type players. QB we have a young guy they have a young guy. Ours and theres have HBs that are #21. We have a Defensive freak with DWare and they have Merriman. We have Witten they have Gates. They have a shutdown CB in Jammer and we got Newman. Anyway A for the Dallas Cowboys!
22,895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 02:25 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22,895 View Post
They have a shutdown CB in Jammer and we got Newman. Anyway A for the Dallas Cowboys!

I agree with all your points except this one. I would not consider Jammer a shut down corner. He has been a major disappointment in SD. Newman is much better.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:08 PM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.

Thule, Davis at GUARD is better than any of the big 3 (Dielman, Dockery, Stienbach). You should be happier we got him instead. Plus he is movitavted to play in Dallas.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:33 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

The problem with Jammer is that he's not a bad corner, he deserved his draft status. However, he's a physical guy. He beat up on receivers, similar to Ty Law. Then the NFL made PI and illegal contact points of emphasis after the Pats mugging of the Colts, and took away what the guy does best.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:31 PM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

Whoever gave us the D grades is obviously stupid or a fan of another NFC East team.

**cough cough** eaglesalltheway **cough cough**
Old 03-24-2007, 08:40 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
The problem with Jammer is that he's not a bad corner, he deserved his draft status. However, he's a physical guy. He beat up on receivers, similar to Ty Law. Then the NFL made PI and illegal contact points of emphasis after the Pats mugging of the Colts, and took away what the guy does best.
I agree that he's not bad. I just don't view him as a shutdown corner.