Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 11-08-2011, 06:09 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
So I have watched absolutely no college football so far this year, so can one of you guys who's watched a lot of the top LBs give me some updates on that top crew of Kuechly, Burflict, Teo'o and whoever else is playing their way into the discussion this year? Muchas graz
I still like Burfict better, Kuechly looks slower this year and I haven't seen enough of Teo'o but of what I saw he doesn't wow you as much as Burfict does.

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:11 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We need offensive line help. Diehl has quietly become a mediocre player. He's not even a good LG anymore. Petrus should hopefully replace him in a year or 2.

But we need a LT. I think MIKE, LT, TE, WR, RB, possibly CB and DT.

My favorite WR is Justin Blackmon. What a beast.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:34 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nicks & Grubbs are FA this year I believe, I wouldn't mind a FA splash for LG. Draft a tackle to replace McKenzie and have pick + Brewer duke it out with Diehl backing up 4 spots on the line.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:36 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we're fine at OG. Snee is a staple of our line, and Petrus will fill in nicely at LG eventually. And we have Boothe for depth. And Baas can play OG as well.

What we need is a backup C to give us some ability to mix and match on the inside, and we need some backup OTs.

Paying for FA olinemen is risky, bc you pay an arm and a leg for em. Look at Baas for example. We had to throw the bank at the guy, he got a sick contract from us bc we were desperate. From a finance perspective, that hurt us.

That's what sucks about FA. You always overpay. Look at Canty, Bernard, Baas, we overpaid for those guys. I'm not saying they're bad players, just that we overpaid for them.

And when you overpay guys, it bites you in the ass when you can't re-sign other guys you really want to bring back.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:24 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought we got Baas pretty cheap. I believe he's getting paid less than our 4 other OL except for Beatty. Also, we had the McKenzie, Pierce, and Plax FA signing all work out for us. Canty has been worth the money since his first injury plauged year as well. Rolle got a lot but he's been very good.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:34 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I thought he got like 20 million (Baas)?

I'm not saying all our FA signings were bad. Heck, most if not all were good, it's just that when you do go the FA route, you typically overpay guys.

Take Canty for example, he's great for us, but the truth is, we overpaid for him. We gave him 40 million. We gave him pass rushing DT money. He's not that. He's a solid DT who stuffs the run and provides a decent push, but he's not a force inside. We paid him to be a force inside. We overpaid. Not saying he's not a great contributor, but we did overpay.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:12 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I thought he got like 20 million (Baas)?

I'm not saying all our FA signings were bad. Heck, most if not all were good, it's just that when you do go the FA route, you typically overpay guys.

Take Canty for example, he's great for us, but the truth is, we overpaid for him. We gave him 40 million. We gave him pass rushing DT money. He's not that. He's a solid DT who stuffs the run and provides a decent push, but he's not a force inside. We paid him to be a force inside. We overpaid. Not saying he's not a great contributor, but we did overpay.
So who cares if we overpaid anyway though? It's not your money and it hasn't stopped us from going out and signing someone who could help the team. The Smith issue was clearly a medical thing which is why they wanted to limit his dollars.

Baas got $25 million I believe but still only the 4th highest paid lineman on the team.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-11-2011, 12:40 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
So who cares if we overpaid anyway though? It's not your money and it hasn't stopped us from going out and signing someone who could help the team. The Smith issue was clearly a medical thing which is why they wanted to limit his dollars.

Baas got $25 million I believe but still only the 4th highest paid lineman on the team.
Overpaying is important bc it prevents us from re-signing other guys. Bad contracts gets you in cap hell. Like this offseason, we barely had any money to play around with.

We have some big contracts coming up, Tuck will want to get paid, Thomas, Nicks, we have to figure out something btw Kiwi and Osi, Corey's contract could come up, etc.

We need to really be smart with our money and how we spend it.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:55 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After that game I think we should be looking at RB's. I realize San Fran is one of the best run D's in the league right now, but there were holes and when a runningback gets the edge and goes to the second level, it should be more than a 10 yard run, you dont get alot of those opportunities.

Lamar Miller and Trent Richardson are two guys that I can see as primary runners, it would be nice to stumble upon a guy since we lost out on Murray last year that I know many giants fans were calling for.

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-14-2011, 08:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN View Post
After that game I think we should be looking at RB's. I realize San Fran is one of the best run D's in the league right now, but there were holes and when a runningback gets the edge and goes to the second level, it should be more than a 10 yard run, you dont get alot of those opportunities.

Lamar Miller and Trent Richardson are two guys that I can see as primary runners, it would be nice to stumble upon a guy since we lost out on Murray last year that I know many giants fans were calling for.
I would be a sad panda today if Murray ended up on the Giants. Props to you guys for calling it. I know many Cowboys including me, were confused with the pick because of our other perceived greater needs.

If I were you guys... I would look at Doug Martin. I love his RB skills. He could probably be had in the 3rd round.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:40 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

we really just need more rutgers players. simple as that
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:41 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am curious if I am the only one who thinks that Beatty would be better at RT then LT since we are going to need to replace Mckenzie soon. I just have not been impressed with him on the left side.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:56 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTgiants View Post
I am curious if I am the only one who thinks that Beatty would be better at RT then LT since we are going to need to replace Mckenzie soon. I just have not been impressed with him on the left side.
I feel like the only way that we will get an LT is if we overpay one in FA. Otherwise we've been terrible at developing OL, or at least developing them and keeping them to reap the benefits.

edit: And D-Unit although i like Martin's hard running, i just don't see him as anything more than a career backup or a FB

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by BaLLiN : 11-14-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:09 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I feel they want to see if Brewer can develop into K-Mac's future replacement. Again, if any good OL falls to our lap, we're not in a position to pass on one come draft day. Let's be honest, our only major hole right now is at LB. (and that's with wanting to upgrade over Goff or if he's not healthy). When healthy (yeah, obviously huge "if" scenario) we've got talent everywhere all across the board. We could use OL talent and youth. MAYBE a RB, but not early. Perhaps a DE if we deal Osi, but we'd still have 2 elite DE's and a servicable backup in my boy Tolly. Kiwi and Boley seem to really be having outstanding years on the outside spots, and our secondary, even with 2 major injuries, have looked pretty good. We're a team that right now can go with our board of course, but can really afford to take BPA anywhere except pretty much QB in the early rounds.
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:34 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

If Alshon Jeffrey is there in the first, which is probable, do we take him?

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-25-2011, 06:41 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
No, Reese doesn't like players with his type of work ethic.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-25-2011, 08:51 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

that and if we keep MM, we wont need a WR with him Nicks and Cruz. And even if we did lose him, we'd still have Barden and JJ, so I really don't see us taking a WR because we've got much bigger holes elsewhere
Quote:
Old 11-25-2011, 11:39 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I want a linebacker man. Watching the 49ers last night, and seeing Willis and Bowman out there, can we just have ONE guy like that please? I just want one.

We need a linebacker.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:30 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I don't get to sit down and watch much college football. In fact, I rarely ever get to sit down and watch a prospect and really scout them. But I am getting a chance to scout this BC/Miami game, and I was watching Luke in particular, and here's what I get from this game:

Luke Keuchly:

Pros: Very instinctive, great form tackling, very good range, smart, can cover sideline to sideline, can play the deep middle (something we desperately need), has great instincts in the run game flowing to the ball carrier, and has great instincts in zone coverage, understanding passing concepts and picking up his guy and running with him. Doesn't over pursue, doesn't miss tackles.

Cons: Size. I'm not sure if he's the 6 3" he's listed as. Could be 6 1". Not sure how long his arms are, they look short, but can't confirm. Can't shed blocks from OGs as well as you'd like. He's a guy who knows how to flow to the RB, but if he has a OL run at him dead on, he lacks the thumping ability to slam into him, engage, and shed. More often than not, he'll lose that battle. Not sure how fast he is. He seems fast enough, but he's definitely not a blazer by any means. He looks like a 4.75 guy to me. So he lacks elite athleticism.

Overall: I think this guy is very good. How good? That will depend on how he tests at the combine. I'm very interested in his official size/speed numbers. He definitely passes the eyeball test, and would be a great addition to our defense. Where he falls in the draft will depend on those numbers. He can play. He reminds me of Sean Lee. I see his game translating to the NFL the same way Sean Lee's game did. So if you like what Sean Lee brings to Dallas, then you'll like Luke Keuchly. He has potential to be better than Lee bc he's just so instinctual.

My favorite part of his game is that he's a tackling machine. We miss way too many tackles as a defense, and tackling is such a lost art, it would go a long way in helping our unit out if we had a tackling machine in the middle like this guy. He may lack the athleticism of a Bowman or Willis, but he has all the intangibles you look for.

Before I hop on the bandwagon and start clamoring for us to move up and get this guy in the 1st however, I need to see his measurables. He has to be adequate in that department. I think he will be. And as of right now, he's the guy I want us to take in the 1st.

He reminds me of Curtis Lofton too.

Last edited by bigbluedefense : 11-25-2011 at 04:33 PM.
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:35 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Also, #52 from Miami, Perryman, that guy is gonna be a good player. He has the body you look for, great speed, good instincts, good tackling, he seems like he'll be a guy we talk about 2 years from now as a 1st round pick. He's only a freshman! He's going to be a good one. He already looks the part. If he can stay healthy, develop, and keep his head on straight, I think that guy could be a special one.

And Chris Pantale, the TE from BC who's a junior, he's a potential TE to look at. He has the size, looks fast enough, he seems solid. I need to see more of him though.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:38 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Pantale is long and rangy. Something I look for in TEs. I wanna see how he times. He seems like he has potential to be a very solid 2nd/3rd round TE for us. Can also hold his own as a blocker. Not a dominant blocker, but he has the tools to become one and he seems willing to block.

He's a junior though, so I'm not sure if he'll come out.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:54 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Ok I officially love Luke Kuechly.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:22 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How many good WR's do you guys need ha. Nicks is a stud, Cruz is a stud that nobody talks about for some reason, Mario is serviceable and makes big plays in 3 WR sets. I guess I feel like if you have at least two very good WR's that crosses off WR in the 1st.

I wonder if Cruz continues to out produce Nicks this season, if it'll change anyone's minds. Not that it would mean he's better then Nicks, but if he cuts out the mistakes in his game he's been excellent this year.

I would like to see you guys get a Jimmy Graham/Jermichael Finley type of pass catching TE and an offense that utilizes him. I think having a guy like that even helps out a veteran QB like Eli, especially in the red zone or 3rd downs. That opens things up for the rest of the offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:25 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Ok I officially love Luke Kuechly.
Welcome to the bandwagon!!! The Sean Lee comparison is actually very good.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-26-2011, 10:27 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
How many good WR's do you guys need ha. Nicks is a stud, Cruz is a stud that nobody talks about for some reason, Mario is serviceable and makes big plays in 3 WR sets. I guess I feel like if you have at least two very good WR's that crosses off WR in the 1st.

I wonder if Cruz continues to out produce Nicks this season, if it'll change anyone's minds. Not that it would mean he's better then Nicks, but if he cuts out the mistakes in his game he's been excellent this year.

I would like to see you guys get a Jimmy Graham/Jermichael Finley type of pass catching TE and an offense that utilizes him. I think having a guy like that even helps out a veteran QB like Eli, especially in the red zone or 3rd downs. That opens things up for the rest of the offense.
Good call about Cruz. I think we're all just "shocked" at how well he's doing and for some reason don't expect it to continue. He had some silly mistakes earlier in the year as well which cost us a game possibly. I think all in all we just have tempered enthusiasm about Cruz. A TE like that wouldn't do anything for us. We don't call exotic routes for our TE's and it's because we like them to block and run easy routes. A guy like Fleener would fit the best.

sig by BoneKrusher