Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 10-09-2013, 07:05 AM    (permalink
Job Reborn
Pro Bowler

Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This kind of goal does more to convince me that Martin Biron is a horrible goalie than Hertl being any good. (Though obviously I can't discredit a 4 goal game, guy must be something)
Job Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:38 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That was like the most fun I've ever had watching a Sharks game. Hertl scored on Lundqvist too, if that makes you feel better Job.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:35 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That fourth goal was nasty.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:42 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufusMcDaniel View Post
For what it's worth I was really impressed by Bernier and Rielly. And watching a PP that actually can get into the zone, set up and hold onto the puck is so crazy to watch as an avs fan who hasn't gotten to watch a good PP since Sakic was still on the ice instead of in the front office.

That was a good tough game, although I still don't know why you guys played Kadri with the shittier wingers instead of Bolland, I get injuries and guys missing, but Orr and Ashton are really the best you can do around your top center? Craziness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:28 PM    (permalink
RufusMcDaniel
Mage Bros
Pro Bowler

RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have no idea what Carlyle is doing with Kadri. Him and Lupul had a good chemistry last year and this year they've been together very little. I assume Kadri will be with Clarkson for sure when he returns. I know last year too Kadri was able to get anyone who played on his line to score whether it be Frattin, Lupul, MacArthur, and even Orr for a short time, so maybe he was hoping for that kind of production again.

Rielly looked much better yesterday. First game wasn't the greatest, but that third period he started to look comfortable and really get moving. Reminded me of Gardiner last year in the playoffs.

Now Gardiner and Ranger...pls go.
RufusMcDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:58 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why has no one mentioned Marc Staal's embarrassing lack of effort on Hertl's 4th goal?

edit: and by "no one," I mean ESPN, NHL Network, reddit's /r/hockey... I'm all aboard the M. Staal sucks train
Old 10-09-2013, 09:20 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pretty sure Kevin Weekes or someone mentioned how impressive it was that Hertl did that against two "world class defensemen" in Del Zotto and Staal. I think what he meant to say was that Hertl was only able to do it because two second-pairing defensemen and a backup goalie were barely even trying.

I also think Staal took a swipe towards Hertl after he did it. **** that, if you aren't going to try/can't stop it then don't ***** about it. /boards train
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:41 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Hearing a question to Marleau about Hertl and whether he was showboating, Thornton said:
Shut up, have you ever played the game?
When the press turned his way, he then added:
Id have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it.
Just amazing.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:58 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufusMcDaniel View Post
I have no idea what Carlyle is doing with Kadri. Him and Lupul had a good chemistry last year and this year they've been together very little. I assume Kadri will be with Clarkson for sure when he returns. I know last year too Kadri was able to get anyone who played on his line to score whether it be Frattin, Lupul, MacArthur, and even Orr for a short time, so maybe he was hoping for that kind of production again.

Rielly looked much better yesterday. First game wasn't the greatest, but that third period he started to look comfortable and really get moving. Reminded me of Gardiner last year in the playoffs.

Now Gardiner and Ranger...pls go.
Hopefully he figures that **** out because it got to a point where I could only laugh and be greatful that your coach was being so wasteful. I mean I'm all for the avs spreading our scoring around, but that's because our scoring talent is more spread out across more players. The Leafs, especially with everyone they were missing couldn't afford to be wasting the skill that they did have on the ice. I mean if you really insist on keeping Bozak with kessel to validate that contract, fine, but at least to put Bolland on the second line ahead of Kadri to. I actually like your top 9, but as a more traditional, scoring line, scoring line, energy line, top 9. Atleast give Kadri JVR or Lupul, let Bolland go out there with other grinders. This is the type of **** that makes people start talking about Paul Stastny losing his passing skills because David Jones is an alcoholic and Chuck Kobasew is not a goal scorer.

I was really impressed by how Rielly grew into that game. He was timing his pinches so well and was just so smooth in everything he did. I wish Barrie could start looking like that again cause even though he's playing with a career AHLer instead of Jan Hejda, we really need it. Benoit's been a pleasant surprise and I'm legit not terrified with when the puck is on his stick, but he just doesn't have it in him to bring that spark into the offensive zone, and while I'll defend every other aspect of EJ's play to the death, he's still scared of the offensive zone. Like it's a lot better than under sacco, where the instant he crossed the blue line a voice in his head must've started shouting "oh **** what is Zanon/Hunwick/other-incompetent-dipshit over there doing!", but he still doesn't make things happen the way Rielly was in that game and Barrie did for us last year.

Quote:
Old 10-10-2013, 10:25 PM    (permalink
Job Reborn
Pro Bowler

Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Joe Thornton is awesome.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:41 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

Matt Duchene is too damn fast

Quote:
Old 10-11-2013, 09:00 AM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Been busy with work.. but there's always time for a shameless Jonas Brodin plug. Kid's been stellar this year. Wild have deserved better than 1-1-2 to start the year.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:16 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job Reborn View Post
This kind of goal does more to convince me that Martin Biron is a horrible goalie than Hertl being any good. (Though obviously I can't discredit a 4 goal game, guy must be something)
I was surprised that Martin Biron is still a thing. But, yeah, that goal was more him being absolutely awful than Hertl being good. It was a clever move, but no good goalie lets the puck get close enough for that to happen in the first place.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:41 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah that was a very unskilled goal by Hertl.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:11 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Okay, go ahead and trade Vanek.

Can't even tank in the McDavid year :/
Old 10-11-2013, 11:12 AM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

on a another note : tank for ekblad/reinhart

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:28 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Oh I'd be thrilled with Reinhart. Ekblad is obviously a stud, too.

But still, at this point I may just have to be primarily an Otters fan. McDavid, Strome, Burakovsky, Dansk, Pelech, ...
Old 10-11-2013, 11:50 AM    (permalink
Job Reborn
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Yeah that was a very unskilled goal by Hertl.
For what it's worth, a between the legs shot doesn't even take that much skill. I mean, you practice it for like an hour and you're already fairly accurate with it. Players just usually don't try that move because any goalie playing at a higher level than Pee-Wee hockey should be able to see that coming right away and stop the puck easily.

And that's not to say I don't think Hertl is a very highly skilled player, because I really do believe he is. That just isn't the move that convinces me. IMO, his second goal showed more skill.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:31 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

I already said it was an unskilled goal.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:29 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

So Brad Boyes is just gonna keep signing $1 million deals and bouncing from top line to top line, huh?
Old 10-12-2013, 12:44 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

And I may have had some gripes with the logo, but boy do I love the Dallas jerseys. Green is almost always good.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:17 AM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

Good to see that Nate got himself a goal and the Stastny, Landy, Tanguay line put up some points. Given we got out shot by like 15 I'm assuming Varly was amazeballs again, but this is no surprise, the only times he hasn't been amazing for us was when our tank broke his spirit last year, and Sacco got into his head for a month in the middle of the previous season.

I know we got ripped a lot for the Varly and Ej trades but I still love em. Varly does so much more for this team than Liles and Forsberg would've, and EJ's been an absolute rock outside of last year when he was all concussed and also had been sacco'd. He's been fantastic when I've watched him this season and doesn't even look utterly shellshocked in the offensive zone anymore.

Quote:
Old 10-13-2013, 12:03 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

But really, why is Colorado so good? And what % of Buffalo's awfulness would you attribute to Joe Sacco's presence as an assistant coach?

Still humming along at a respectable 1.0 goals per game.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:08 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why in the **** are the Red Wings and Bruins playing a 1 p.m. game on Monday? **** Columbus Day. That's not a legit holiday.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:41 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcGee View Post
But really, why is Colorado so good? And what % of Buffalo's awfulness would you attribute to Joe Sacco's presence as an assistant coach?

Still humming along at a respectable 1.0 goals per game.
It's a number of things, Roy has been awesome at not just firing up the kids to go through a wall for him but has also cultivated a tough us against the world mentality. The big thing is just how much more organized it all is, our defense doesn't just give up the blue line, our entry into the zone isn't just dump n chase, our forecheck is organized so it doesn't expose the d and our back checking forwards are doing a great job of covering for the dmen when they step up to protect the blue line.

Add to that us eliminating some of the trash like Jones, O'Byrne, Zanon, Hunwick, etc. and we've got less weighing us down, and we have yet to get hammered by injuries. Last year we missed Downie for the whole season, Landy got concussed early and never got on track, same for EJ, Wilson missed a ton of time, Staz was hurt, O'Reilly sat out half of the season, varly's spirit was broken in the second half by the tank commanders, and the team just gave up on Sacco. So we underachieved last year and are overachieving so far this year.

I actually think Sacco can be good assistant coach as he did a good job making young players comfortable when they arrived and he had the team playing hard before they tuned him out, he's just completely clueless about the actual hockey side of coaching and has the personality and charisma of Brodie. If all he is for you is a glorified cheerleader I think he can do a good job, if he has any hockey related input...well that's a different story.

Edit the Benoit-Sarich pairing has also been a lot of help, they're a very solid and reliable third pairing for us even if Benoit isn't really dynamic so much as calm and secure with the puck, and Sarich is slower than dirt.

Quote: