Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 02-19-2012, 12:00 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want Rick Nash naow!

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:01 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job Reborn View Post
Gill is only useful on the PK, and the wings don't stand out to me as a team who need that much PK help, considering they're amongst the teams with the fewest penalties, and Lidstrom, Stuart, Kronwall and Ericsson can all get the job done fairly well.

I agree about Kubina being an upgrade, but I personnally like Kindl enough and giving him some playoff experience is, IMO, more important than having a rapidly declining Pavel Kubina as a 6th defenceman. However, didn't know about your desperate lack of right-handed shooters. That does factor in the equation somewhat.
The left-handedness drives me mad. So many scoring chances negated because guys are always playing on the wrong wing.

Wings penalty kill is only 20th in the league. And I'd like Gill's physicality. Jonathan Ericsson is a total wimp given his huge frame. He's the most ridiculed player on the team by Detroit fans.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:03 PM    (permalink
Job Reborn
Veteran

Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
And I'd like Gill's physicality. Jonathan Ericsson is a total wimp given his huge frame.
As a habs fan, I had no other options than to laugh. You could say the exact same about Gill. He's a goddamn giant and I've rarely if ever seen him hit someone hard.
Job Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:04 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All this Gill physicality talk is making me giggle

#MoncriefArmy
Old 02-19-2012, 12:06 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
As a habs fan, I had no other options than to laugh. You could say the exact same about Gill. He's a goddamn giant and I've rarely if ever seen him hit someone hard.
Perhaps my recollection of him is no longer accurate. He was pretty effective in 2009 when the Pens beat the Wings in the finals.

Still, the trade market is almost non-existent at this point, especially for defensemen. Holland saved all this cap space and now isn't putting it to good use. The Wings haven't made a deadline deal of note in years. They've saved their assets for exactly this situation where they're along the 3-4 elite teams. Anything short of a Cup is failure since the window of having Lidstrom is closing.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:07 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He might be believing you are approaching Hines levels of "I want that player on my team".
Yes, to be honest. But mixed in with arrogance. It's like you expect it to be 2001 every year. "Oh, you know, let's just pick up a few Hall of Famers, because everybody wants to come to Detroit to win."
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:10 PM    (permalink
Job Reborn
Veteran

Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I believe a trade for Ales Hemsky would be more realistic than a trade for Selanne who just cares about being in Anaheim anymore. I don't know what such a player would require as trade bait though, considering Dominic Moore already was dealt for a second, and Nik Grossman for a second and 3rd.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:11 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee View Post
Yes, to be honest. But mixed in with arrogance. It's like you expect it to be 2001 every year. "Oh, you know, let's just pick up a few Hall of Famers, because everybody wants to come to Detroit to win."
Well, there's a legitimate argument to be made that Detroit is the best destination for Selanne IF he agrees to a deal. It's not completely tied to the Wings being a top contender either. Teemu is good friends with Valtteri Filppula.

I have no delusions about the likelihood of him waiving his NTC, but I am rooting for Anaheim to lose the next few games ...
Old 02-19-2012, 12:16 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ok, admitted new hockey fan.
The goaltender interference is stupid when it is incidental or unavoidable because of the defensive player.

Just my .02

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:17 PM    (permalink
Job Reborn
Veteran

Quote:
Perhaps my recollection of him is no longer accurate. He was pretty effective in 2009 when the Pens beat the Wings in the finals.
Age just takes its toll so much faster whenever we're talking about huge players like a Hal Gill. Speaking of, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see big Z decline at a very fast pace in the next few years and become somewhat of a liability defensively due to lack of speed.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:20 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Age just takes its toll so much faster whenever we're talking about huge players like a Hal Gill. Speaking of, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see big Z decline at a very fast pace in the next few years and become somewhat of a liability defensively due to lack of speed.
I thought he had already declined earlier this season. He's really picked it up though lately. He's going to be moved exclusively to wing before long, I bet.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:21 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Like Job said, it just never seems like Teemu would want to leave Anaheim. He won a Cup there and he seems perfectly content riding into the sunset in Anaheim. He's also even better friends with Koivu than Filppula, and those were the two who were totally off limits when it looked like the Ducks may be moving some pieces earlier in the year.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:26 PM    (permalink
Job Reborn
Veteran

Quote:
I thought he had already declined earlier this season. He's really picked it up though lately. He's going to be moved exclusively to wing before long, I bet.
Well, he's sure to at least keep being an important piece on the point on the PP.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:28 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Like Job said, it just never seems like Teemu would want to leave Anaheim. He won a Cup there and he seems perfectly content riding into the sunset in Anaheim. He's also even better friends with Koivu than Filppula, and those were the two who were totally off limits when it looked like the Ducks may be moving some pieces earlier in the year.
I'm only going off what I read from hockey media people on this one. They all keep saying it's dependent on whether Anaheim can make the playoffs.

I wouldn't count on him leaving either, but he could just re-sign back in Anaheim if he continues playing after this season. It's only a three-month commitment to another team.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:30 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Well, he's sure to at least keep being an important piece on the point on the PP.
Zetterberg? He's never played point on the power play really ... Hudler usually mans the point with Kronwall on the second pairing (though without a right-handed shot, the whole unit is awkward).
Old 02-19-2012, 12:31 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Big Z being Chara

#MoncriefArmy
Old 02-19-2012, 12:32 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooty Magic! View Post
Big Z being Chara
Haha, I thought you were talking about Zetterberg since we were talking Wings and the comment appeared directed at me. That makes more sense.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:39 PM    (permalink
Jensen
SWDC Mafia
All-Pro

Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hal Gill is terrible Xio. I don't know why you would want him since the only thing he is remotely good at is PK. I feel bad that Nashville actually gave up a 2nd for him because they are going to be very disappointed.

BoneKrusher
Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:43 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensen View Post
Hal Gill is terrible Xio. I don't know why you would want him since the only thing he is remotely good at is PK. I feel bad that Nashville actually gave up a 2nd for him because they are going to be very disappointed.
I already admitted my perception of him is outdated. I don't think I've watched a single Canadians game this season. He was effective a couple years ago in the playoffs though. Saw that first-hand.

But still, the Wings to make a trade, so I remain a little perturbed about seeing all these guys dealt elsewhere.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:45 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

They had to give us that trade. We gave them Sergei K for nothing ugh.

#MoncriefArmy
Old 02-19-2012, 12:49 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Nashville did need one more defenseman for the kill, but Gill isn't going to do a whole lot and you can't help but think these assets could be better spent trying to get a veteran forward.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:53 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Nashville did need one more defenseman for the kill, but Gill isn't going to do a whole lot and you can't help but think these assets could be better spent trying to get a veteran forward.
They had to be bold in an effort to convince Suter and Weber they're serious about winning. I bet Nashville gets Hemsky next.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:53 PM    (permalink
Jensen
SWDC Mafia
All-Pro

Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tim Gleason would have been a great fit for Detroit, but Carolina surprisingly re-upped him and good for them. There really aren't that many good d-men available for trade right now which is why Gill went for a lot more than he should have.

BoneKrusher
Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:56 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Joey MacDonald is my hero. Jimmy Howard will be back Tuesday and it's as if he was never even hurt for 3 weeks.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:57 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Joey MacDonald is my hero. Jimmy Howard will be back Tuesday and it's as if he was never even hurt for 3 weeks.
Bye Ty Conklin. You will not be missed.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote