Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 03-23-2007, 09:41 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

TacticaLion hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default YES! Edwin "the Mutilator" Mulitalo signs with the Lions!

http://blog.mlive.com/lionsinsider/2...rms_on_th.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kowalski
Mulitalo agrees to terms on three-year deal with Lions
Posted by Tom Kowalski March 23, 2007 20:39PM

The Lions have reached an agreement with free agent guard Edwin Mulitalo on a three-year deal and an announcement will be made as soon as the documents are signed.

The addition of Mulitalo puts Damien Woody on even thinner ice. Woody, who lost more than 30 pounds and reported in good shape to the off-season workouts, has a cap number of $6 million for the 2007 season. The Lions could save $3 million in cap space this season if Woody is released after June 1.

The Lions are still hoping Woody will get his act togther and the combination of Mulitalo and a athletic and agile Woody would give the Lions some real strength on the interior of the offensive line. If the Lions like the way Woody is performing through the off-season workouts and training camp, don't be surprised if they go to him and try to restructure his deal to make his cap hit less brutal.

The Lions also signed free agent guard Zach Piller, who has starting experience in the league. The Lions now have a lot of depth at guard with Mulitalo, Woody, Piller, Barry Stokes and two young prospects Frank Davis and Stephen Peterman.

Mulitalo was a seven-year starter for the Baltimore Ravens before becoming a free agent in the off-season.
YES! YES YES YES! Mulitalo has agreed to terms! We also signed Zach Piller, which gives us some depth.

"The Mutilator"... as a Lion. This is friggin awesome!

The phrase "The Mutilator" was created by and is property of Addict... unauthorized use of this nickname is strictly prohibited and punishable by law.

Last edited by TacticaLion : 03-24-2007 at 11:15 AM.
TacticaLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:44 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Xio posted this in the "Edwin is visiting thread" but I think it deserves it own. I love this signing and the Pillar one. I don't think we need to touch O-line on Day 1 now. Woody should be kicked out the door now also.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:46 PM    (permalink
Bootland27
Rookie

Bootland27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bootland27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

They probably won't draft a G on day 1 after this move. But all in all, solid signing and obviously fills a need.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:48 PM    (permalink
Bootland27
Rookie

Bootland27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bootland27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
Xio posted this in the "Edwin is visiting thread" but I think it deserves it own. I love this signing and the Pillar one. I don't think we need to touch O-line on Day 1 now. Woody should be kicked out the door now also.
That will ultimately depend on his minicamp workouts. He lost some weight, so maybe he's pretty motivated now.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:50 PM    (permalink
jbombul
Rookie

jbombul hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.jbombul hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

that means no justin blalock oh well i would love for the lions to select brandon merriweather in the second. willis....(ray lewis), merriweather....(ed reed) it has that possibility i mean not for a long long time but if both players reached their maxiumum potential our defense could be sick with sims too
jbombul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:53 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I think both are outstanding as well.

I also think that this might push Woody to try hard, stay in shape and earn a starting job. If he can work hard and play at his potential, he'll be very good.

Wow... we can definately have an impressive line next year. Maybe Kitna wasn't too far off...

Hah...
Old 03-23-2007, 09:55 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticaLion View Post
I think both are outstanding as well.

I also think that this might push Woody to try hard, stay in shape and earn a starting job. If he can work hard and play at his potential, he'll be very good.

Wow... we can definately have an impressive line next year. Maybe Kitna wasn't too far off...

Hah...
Yeah it could motivate Woody which would only be a good thing. I'd love to see Woody and Mulitalo start guard. With Foster/Scott battle at RT. The depth on this line is much better than last years.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:58 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Yeah it could motivate Woody which would only be a good thing. I'd love to see Woody and Mulitalo start guard. With Foster/Scott battle at RT. The depth on this line is much better than last years.
That's incredible... Backus-Mulitalo-Raiola-Woody-Foster/Scott... that's an outstanding line (if they play anywhere near their potential).

Wow.

Can you imagine our offense behind a great OLine? Jesus (no, not CJ). Wow.

And we have Tatum Bell.

I'm impressed with this offseason.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:59 PM    (permalink
Mythos
Rookie

Mythos hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think we're carrying six guards right now and four is a typical roster number. I'll go along with the others that have said Woody is gone and I think Davis might be eligible for the practice squad (not sure though).

Woody, Saipia, Stokes, Davis, Mulitalo, Pillar
Mythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:04 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
I think we're carrying six guards right now and four is a typical roster number. I'll go along with the others that have said Woody is gone and I think Davis might be eligible for the practice squad (not sure though).

Woody, Saipia, Stokes, Davis, Mulitalo, Pillar
They should trade Woody for a 5th round pick.

Haha. Tha'd be funny. Jokes, jokes jokes.

Anyway. I can't wait to see how the line works out.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:05 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hooray, an actual halfway decent guard to play next to Jeff Backus for once. I'll just hope that he doesn't bust like Rick DeSuck did (although I doubt anyone can be THAT bad).

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:11 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Hooray, an actual halfway decent guard to play next to Jeff Backus for once. I'll just hope that he doesn't bust like Rick DeSuck did (although I doubt anyone can be THAT bad).
I almost asked you if you watched Rick DeMulling play...

Then I got it.

I'm good like that.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:15 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We ought to draft an OT on day two.

But this eliminates the possibility of Joe Thomas is my mind, as well as any other O-Lineman on day one.

Now we need to focus on MLB, DE, QB, and DB, with WR and TE as secondary needs.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:18 PM    (permalink
Mythos
Rookie

I hope this guy stays healthy. Our recent history w/ free agent guards has been pretty bleak. Everyone has seemed to get hurt except Demulling.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:18 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post

But this eliminates the possibility of Joe Thomas is my mind, as well as any other O-Lineman on day one.

Just curious, but how come it eliminates joe thomas?

I like this move. Im impressed with the lions offseason so far. Hope things keep lookin up for you guys!
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:20 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Agree completely...

My order:

MLB
DB
DE
QB
TE
WR

If he finds a way to trade down and fill those needs... wow. What an offseason.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:23 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

JoeMontainya needs more cowbell.

Quote:
That's incredible... Backus-Mulitalo-Raiola-Woody-Foster/Scott... that's an outstanding line (if they play anywhere near their potential).

Wow.

Can you imagine our offense behind a great OLine? Jesus (no, not CJ). Wow.

And we have Tatum Bell.

I'm impressed with this offseason.
LOL outstanding? WOW leave it to a Lions fan.
JoeMontainya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:23 PM    (permalink
Mythos
Rookie

Quote:

Free safety not a need? or does DB cover FS, corner and nickel corner?
I'd rank the needs,
DE, FS, MLB, nickel corner, cover-2 corner, QB, TE.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:31 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I'd rank the needs,
If I went specific, It would be:

MLB
CB
FS
DE
QB
WR
TE

I'd love to grab a great safety this year... trade Kennedy for a 5th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMontainya
Are you kidding me? A line of Backus-Mulitalo-Raiola-Woody (playing at a high level) wouldn't be great? Riiiight.

The offense had a solid year last year... with an OLine that was practically non-existent. These are good players that, if they can work together, will have a great year next year.

"Leave it to a Lions fan"... instead, just leave the Lions forum.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:32 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMontainya View Post
On paper it does looks pretty nice. You probably didn't know Raiola was one of the best centers in the NFL last year. Woody is back in shape. Mulitalo was a solid start for Baltimore. Scott showed promise last year. Backus is more than servicable. Foster played for a great Denver O-line.

Back your stuff up before you come up in her all ignant.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:33 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'd rank the needs,
I want to add one day one Defensive Back, be it a safety or a cornerback. It doesn't really matter. Either one would be beneficial. I'd go with the best DB available.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:42 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
On paper it does looks pretty nice. You probably didn't know Raiola was one of the best centers in the NFL last year. Woody is back in shape. Mulitalo was a solid start for Baltimore. Scott showed promise last year. Backus is more than servicable. Foster played for a great Denver O-line.

Back your stuff up before you come up in her all ignant.
Very well said... was thinking that exact explanation.

(Part in bold: I had to read that a few times to get it... threw me WAAAY off. Great line.)
Old 03-23-2007, 10:43 PM    (permalink
Mythos
Rookie

Quote:
I want to add one day one Defensive Back, be it a safety or a cornerback. It doesn't really matter. Either one would be beneficial. I'd go with the best DB available.
that makes sense.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:48 PM    (permalink
Mythos
Rookie

I think the order we'll actually draft will be Tacti's list w/ FS and DE swapped.
MLB, CB, DE, FS.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:56 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Very well said... was thinking that exact explanation.

(Part in bold: I had to read that a few times to get it... threw me WAAAY off. Great line.)

LoL I have no idea what made me type it like that but I liked it.