Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum Discuss the Bucs

Old 07-04-2011, 10:33 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Bowers' says knee ready to go

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

Could we have gotten another potential star who wasn't drafted in round 1? Top 5 talent. If all holds up, Dominik will deserve a raise and best GM of the NFL.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:59 PM    (permalink
ellsy82
Veteran

ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

Could we have gotten another potential star who wasn't drafted in round 1? Top 5 talent. If all holds up, Dominik will deserve a raise and best GM of the NFL.
He was a smart pick. A month before the draft he's debatebly going #1 overall, and then stories about his knees totally drops him down boards. Good move, Dom.
ellsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:47 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know if he's ever going to be a great NFL passer rusher.

Bowers simply isn't this all-world athlete playing DE. He's quick enough, but IMO he lacks the raw strength/power/speed to be a dominant rush end in the pros.

Fours years at Clemson and Bowers only looked like a talented player his senior year, and this is a guy who was supposed to be the nation's #1 defensive prospect coming out of HS.

Bowers won't be a stud as a rookie and I doubt he figures it out as a 2nd or 3rd year player.

Honestly, I think Bowers would be a better prospect at 34 OLB than 43 DE.

When are the Bucs going to learn to STOP drafting DEs from Clemson!!??lol

EDIT: Bucs drafted Iowa DE Clayborn too, who I think will be the better DE overall between them.

Last edited by FUNBUNCHER : 07-07-2011 at 11:17 AM.
FUNBUNCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:27 AM    (permalink
SativaDominant
Rookie

SativaDominant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SativaDominant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SativaDominant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SativaDominant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SativaDominant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SativaDominant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SativaDominant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SativaDominant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SativaDominant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SativaDominant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SativaDominant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post

Bowers simply isn't this all-world athlete playing DE. He's quick enough, but IMO he lacks the raw strength/power/speed to be a dominant rush end in the pros.

Fours years at Clemson and Bowers only looked like a talented player his senior year, and this is a guy who was supposed to be the nation's #1 defensive prospect coming out of HS.

Bowers won't be a stud as a rookie and I doubt he figures it out as a 2nd or 3rd year player.

EDIT: Bucs drafted Iowa DE Clayborn too, who I think will be the better DE overall between them.
I think exactly the opposite. He's a pure power rusher who was just quick enough to get by collegiate offensive tackles. I see very little explosion in his game. Not to mention, a ton of his production this year was due to Clemson moving him all along the defensive line, getting him matched up on tight ends, backs, guards on inside rushes, etc.

I just see a guy whose best chance is at left defensive end. He might hit 10 sacks once or twice in his career, but he was never the elite pass rushing prospect people made him out to be pre-draft.

Really, they just drafted Michael Haynes' clone. At least they drafted a relatively average DE in the appropriate spot.

Last edited by SativaDominant : 07-07-2011 at 12:37 PM.
SativaDominant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:09 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A ton of promise on the Bucs DL. Imagine if McCoy, Atkins, Bowers, and Clayborn all play close to their potential.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:50 PM    (permalink
BUC backer
Rookie

BUC backer hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
A ton of promise on the Bucs DL. Imagine if McCoy, Atkins, Bowers, and Clayborn all play close to their potential.
Atkins plays for Cinci. I'm guessing you meant Price?

None the less, thanks for the vote of confidence
BUC backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:22 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post

Bowers is quick, powerful and agile. You don't need to be a freak athlete to succeed as a pass rusher. Bowers has the 1st-step and can bend his hips to run the arc, but he's powerful and agile enough to beat you inside and run counter moves as well. We're not looking for him to be Dwight Freeney...he's gonna play LDE for us and we expect to get pressure from Clayborn, McCoy, Price and others as well. Rushing the passer is a group effort and we're modeling our DL after the Giants. Bowers fits the Tuck role. If strength and speed were the key determinants for a pass rusher's success, Vernon Gholston would be an All-Pro. Quickness, agility and power are more important and Bowers has those traits.

Bowers was a true Jr when he declared. A simple google search would suffice. He struggled his first 2 years because he was overweight but he dedicated himself as a Jr and it showed. His weight is no longer an issue. I don't know what you're complaining about...he was a highly touted recruit and backed it up as a Jr. He was the best DE in CFB. You can't really ask for more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SativaDominant View Post
I think exactly the opposite. He's a pure power rusher who was just quick enough to get by collegiate offensive tackles. I see very little explosion in his game. Not to mention, a ton of his production this year was due to Clemson moving him all along the defensive line, getting him matched up on tight ends, backs, guards on inside rushes, etc.

I just see a guy whose best chance is at left defensive end. He might hit 10 sacks once or twice in his career, but he was never the elite pass rushing prospect people made him out to be pre-draft.

Really, they just drafted Michael Haynes' clone. At least they drafted a relatively average DE in the appropriate spot.
Explosion and power go hand-in-hand, so your post is confusing. Nitpicking Bowers' production of all things is laughable. He produced consistently and his film shows him making an impact from multiple positions. It's not like he struggled in some spots and the coaches had to work around him. We will use his versatility to our advantage.

He's a LDE all the way and that's where we're playing him. He's not an elite pass rushing prospect but he can be an all-around complete player. His talent comes with fewer questions than most of the other top prospects save Dareus, Miller and Peterson, hence why he's a top 10 talent imo. He's a better prospect than Tyson Jackson, for example, and figures to have a bigger impact if he can stay healthy.

If you think anything short of "elite pass rusher" is "relatively average", you have a lot to learn about team sports. We spend our 1st rounder on another "relatively average" player I suppose, except Bowers is even more talented than him. I wonder how successful our team will be with a bunch of "relatively average" players save Freeman, McCoy and Talib. Go watch some NBA if you want superstars littered all over the playing surface.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:07 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ETK,

I'm not going to lie, I was not big on Bowers a few months ago, however I like his story. He said in an interview that the passing of his father made him wake up and realize the potential that he had and what he can be and made himself dedicated to football and he really produced.

Some have even compared him to being as good as Michael Strahan, and I think he did ok for himself.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:00 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
ETK,

I'm not going to lie, I was not big on Bowers a few months ago, however I like his story. He said in an interview that the passing of his father made him wake up and realize the potential that he had and what he can be and made himself dedicated to football and he really produced.

Some have even compared him to being as good as Michael Strahan, and I think he did ok for himself.
He has the potential to be as good as Strahan. He has comparable size and athleticism (many do) but he also has the skill as a pass rusher. That would be his ceiling though, so I'm not gonna bank on it.

I still don't know why so many people are/were down on Bowers. You don't need to be a speedy edge rusher to be a top 5 pick. Bowers (when healthy) brings a lot more value than Robert Quinn or Gaines Adams did as prospects, considering how he's a solid 3-down player that doesn't have a glaring weakness. He rarely has a "bad play" on defense and always seems active and around the ball. Those speed rushers had the same (or less) production at the college level but often disappeared against the run or even against elite competition.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-08-2011, 08:07 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUC backer View Post
Atkins plays for Cinci. I'm guessing you meant Price?

None the less, thanks for the vote of confidence
Woops yeah I did mean price. He, Atkins, and Lamarr Houston were my 3 favorite dark horse DTs of the last few drafts. Though of course Houston is a DE now.

i done stole dis sig
Old 07-09-2011, 03:28 PM    (permalink
irishbucsfan
Rookie

irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I get hard when etk bigs up a player.

"Frosties are corn flakes for people who can't face reality"
irishbucsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:57 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbucsfan View Post
I get hard when etk bigs up a player.
haha...let's hope I'm right. I'm not often wrong when I approve a player, but there are some who I dislike that prove me wrong and go on to success. Dominik and I have been seeing eye to eye a lot lately.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-17-2011, 03:05 PM    (permalink
hockey619
Veteran

hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
haha...let's hope I'm right. I'm not often wrong when I approve a player, but there are some who I dislike that prove me wrong and go on to success. Dominik and I have been seeing eye to eye a lot lately.
Ive been a big bowers fan for a while, i feel like he is a complete DE and reminds me a lot of Chris Long. I definitely think he was a steal where he was taken and he could be a good player in the NFL for a long time.
hockey619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:10 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey619 View Post
Ive been a big bowers fan for a while, i feel like he is a complete DE and reminds me a lot of Chris Long. I definitely think he was a steal where he was taken and he could be a good player in the NFL for a long time.
10/10 post. I never see anyone compare white players to black players let alone black players to white players. This comparison is 100% accurate. Everything from their size, athletic traits, college careers, prospect ratings, etc. Long has been solid for the Rams but hasn't broken out as a major sack guy yet. I think he'll begin to enter his prime this year.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-21-2011, 06:52 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
Bowers is quick, powerful and agile. You don't need to be a freak athlete to succeed as a pass rusher. Bowers has the 1st-step and can bend his hips to run the arc, but he's powerful and agile enough to beat you inside and run counter moves as well. We're not looking for him to be Dwight Freeney...he's gonna play LDE for us and we expect to get pressure from Clayborn, McCoy, Price and others as well. Rushing the passer is a group effort and we're modeling our DL after the Giants. Bowers fits the Tuck role. If strength and speed were the key determinants for a pass rusher's success, Vernon Gholston would be an All-Pro. Quickness, agility and power are more important and Bowers has those traits.

Bowers was a true Jr when he declared. A simple google search would suffice. He struggled his first 2 years because he was overweight but he dedicated himself as a Jr and it showed. His weight is no longer an issue. I don't know what you're complaining about...he was a highly touted recruit and backed it up as a Jr. He was the best DE in CFB. You can't really ask for more.

Explosion and power go hand-in-hand, so your post is confusing. Nitpicking Bowers' production of all things is laughable. He produced consistently and his film shows him making an impact from multiple positions. It's not like he struggled in some spots and the coaches had to work around him. We will use his versatility to our advantage.

He's a LDE all the way and that's where we're playing him. He's not an elite pass rushing prospect but he can be an all-around complete player. His talent comes with fewer questions than most of the other top prospects save Dareus, Miller and Peterson, hence why he's a top 10 talent imo. He's a better prospect than Tyson Jackson, for example, and figures to have a bigger impact if he can stay healthy.

If you think anything short of "elite pass rusher" is "relatively average", you have a lot to learn about team sports. We spend our 1st rounder on another "relatively average" player I suppose, except Bowers is even more talented than him. I wonder how successful our team will be with a bunch of "relatively average" players save Freeman, McCoy and Talib. Go watch some NBA if you want superstars littered all over the playing surface.
I would have to say I agree wholly with this entire post. No, Bowers is not a pure speed rusher, but he is fast enough. He is agile enough to run the arc, but his greatest strength is his power. I'm not saying he's Reggie White, but his lower body explosion and power upon contact is special. Speaking of Freeney, though he doesn't have Freeney's crazy burst, he does play with excellent leverage like Freeney and has a very good motor (now).

And like ETK said, the guy is a true junior...21 years old, it didn't take him 4 years to produce, unless they're counting his senior year in HS as one of those years. To keep things in perspecitve, I hated the Adams pick. Here was a guy that didn't even earn a full-time starting job until his 5th season out of HS, and didn't produce until his 6th season out of HS. Overaged OL/DL usually have bust written all over them. If Bowers fails, it woh't be because he was a man among children in college.
brasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:54 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Woops yeah I did mean price. He, Atkins, and Lamarr Houston were my 3 favorite dark horse DTs of the last few drafts. Though of course Houston is a DE now.
Lamarr Houston was by far my favorite DT prospect from last season. We took Price (who was in my top 5) before him...now people are talking about Houston being a superstar.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:09 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasho View Post
Lamarr Houston was by far my favorite DT prospect from last season. We took Price (who was in my top 5) before him...now people are talking about Houston being a superstar.
I wouldn't call him a superstar yet but I do agree he is on his way to being a very good player. You have to wonder how much he can succeed in Oakland but maybe Hue Jackson is the answer.

i done stole dis sig
Old 07-21-2011, 04:35 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I wouldn't call him a superstar yet but I do agree he is on his way to being a very good player. You have to wonder how much he can succeed in Oakland but maybe Hue Jackson is the answer.
I just read an article last week about how he is on his way to superstardom... or something like that.