Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 11:06 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Tony Dungy: I wouldn’t have taken Michael Sam

From the former Indianapolis Colts coach with a well-documented history of cool-bashing:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...n-michael-sam/

I guess by now, we shouldn't be surprised.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:17 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A thread title that strong should really carry some links to previous statements, posts, or sources by Dungy regarding homosexuality.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
Old 07-22-2014, 11:19 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
A thread title that strong should really carry some links to previous statements, posts, or sources by Dungy regarding homosexuality.
My bad:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...-remarks_N.htm

http://www.outsports.com/2013/2/20/4...y-organization

Why risk money on Michael Sam when you can spend it on homophobic lobbyists?
Old 07-22-2014, 11:36 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't want to make this a political argument (though your title makes it so) but being against same-sex marriage do not mean you hate gay people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
Old 07-22-2014, 11:41 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post

I don't want to make this a political argument (though your title makes it so) but being against same-sex marriage do not mean you hate gay people.
What would you say that means, then? That gay people don't deserve the same rights straight people have? What's that called?
Old 07-22-2014, 11:42 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

This -

I'm also taking the term ****-"phobic" away from you until you can accurately tell me what it is I am afraid of in relation to my faith-based stand point on same-sex marriage.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
Old 07-22-2014, 11:52 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A title that immediately sparks a political AND religious discussion. Nicely done!

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
Old 07-22-2014, 12:01 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tony Dungy is a colossal doucher, but this thread is totally unnecessary. Why can't we just let this has been mediocre coach turned self absorbed moral compass to nobody, fade into irrelevance?

Last edited by cmarq83 : 07-22-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:14 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
This -

I'm also taking the term ****-"phobic" away from you until you can accurately tell me what it is I am afraid of in relation to my faith-based stand point on same-sex marriage.
It doesn't necessarily have to manifest as fear, it can also be discrimination, etc.

From Merriam-Webster:

Quote:
irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/homophobia

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Homophobia encompasses a range of negative attitudes and feelings toward homosexuality or people who are identified or perceived as being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT). It can be expressed as antipathy, contempt, prejudice, aversion, or hatred, may be based on irrational fear, and is sometimes related to religious beliefs.[1][2][3][4][5][6]

Homophobia is observable in critical and hostile behavior such as discrimination and violence on the basis of sexual orientations that are non-heterosexual.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophobia
Old 07-22-2014, 12:27 PM    (permalink
MidwestJimmy
Veteran

MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a Christian too. But I hate it when other Christians use the Bible as an excuse to hate gay people. It says that a man shouldn't have sex with a man. It doesn't say anything about hating them. It says "Love thy neighbor". Most of the people who use the Bible as a weapon against the gay community can't even remember another Bible verse besides the one about homosexuality.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love how people just see this.

Quote:
“I wouldn’t have taken him,’’
And ignore this.

Quote:
“Not because I don’t believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn’t want to deal with all of it. It’s not going to be totally smooth . . . things will happen.’’
The Rams are going to have a hard time cutting the guy with out getting all kinds off backlash.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:46 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Now let's go back in time, when an earlier generation of sports owners said "yeah, those black guys sure have talent, but I sure wouldn't want to deal with them. Things will happen!"
Old 07-22-2014, 12:57 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Michael Sam isn't very good and will create a significant distraction during training camp. I can't blame a team for not wanting to deal with that.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:07 PM    (permalink
MidwestJimmy
Veteran

MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love this quote from one of the articles (www.outsports.com/2013/2/20/4...y-organization) about the anti-gay group that Dungy supports:

IFI's stated mission is to protect traditional marriage.

How about finding a way to protect traditional marriage from a continuous 50% divorce rate? That's what's threatening traditional marriage.

Last edited by MidwestJimmy : 07-22-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:10 PM    (permalink
MidwestJimmy
Veteran

Quote:
... being against same-sex marriage do not mean you hate gay people.
That's true. But my rough guess is that about 99.99999999% of those against same sex marriage are also anti-gay in general.

Last edited by MidwestJimmy : 07-22-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:10 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Now let's go back in time, when an earlier generation of sports owners said "yeah, those black guys sure have talent, but I sure wouldn't want to deal with them. Things will happen!"
Completely different era. Coaches didn't have to deal with the 24-hour news cycle. They didn't have to worry about that black player doing a television series. Baseball also had an unwritten rule to not sign black players. So breaking the color barrier is a much bigger deal. There is no such rule (written or unwritten) today.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
Old 07-22-2014, 01:13 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestJimmy View Post
I love this quote from one of the articles (www.outsports.com/2013/2/20/4...y-organization) about the anti-gay group that Dungy supports:

IFI's stated mission is to protect traditional marriage.

How about finding a way to protect traditional marriage from a continuous 50% divorce rate? That's what's threatening traditional marriage.

... being against same-sex marriage do not mean you hate gay people.
That's true. But my rough guess is that about 99.99999999% of those against same sex marriage are also anti-gay in general.
That is completely untrue. While people against gay marriage usually use the wrong argument for why it should be banned, they don't hate ****. Some do of course. But not some overwhelming majority like you state.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Old 07-22-2014, 01:18 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:24 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Funny how people who have a "faith based" stance against certain things have no problem with people working on Sunday, even though a certain well know book clearly states:

"Six days work shall be done, but on the seventh day you shall have a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on it shall be put to death. "

I guess that little part is inconvenient, so they just choose to ignore it. Same sex marriage makes them uncomfortable, so they conveniently follow that part strictly.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:29 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
Funny how people who have a "faith based" stance against certain things have no problem with people working on Sunday, even though a certain well know book clearly states:

"Six days work shall be done, but on the seventh day you shall have a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on it shall be put to death. "

I guess that little part is inconvenient, so they just choose to ignore it. Same sex marriage makes them uncomfortable, so they conveniently follow that part strictly.
A nice reading of the New Testament (Romans specifically but other places) would enlighten you about how you are wrong about this.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Old 07-22-2014, 01:30 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reminder: This is not the forum to discuss religious issues.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:37 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
A nice reading of the New Testament (Romans specifically but other places) would enlighten you about how you are wrong about this.
The key word is "Sabbath" as it relates not to a particular day, but the type of work that was prohibited.

I would point out more along a theological line of discussion, but that will have to be saved for your inquiry via PM.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
Old 07-22-2014, 01:42 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tony Dungy gave his honest opinion, and I'd hope the PC police wouldn't be out demanding for an apology, because that is just a horrible trend that we have going on right now. With that being said Tony Dungy still is the worst.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:48 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He gave his honest opinion, but he had to have known that it wouldn't be well received by the media. I'm sure there are plenty of coaches and ex-coaches who feel the same way, they just didn't say it because they knew how people would react. It seems like Dungy just wants people to remember that he still exists.

Feed Moncrief
Old 07-22-2014, 01:49 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dungy is hilarious. What an insincere hypocrite.

He lavishes praise on Chuck Noll for hiring him in '81 when it may not have been the most popular move to hire a minority. He had the courage and ability to look past a cultural bias and ignore the fact it may have made other coaches and owners uncomfortable.

Jump forward 33 years and he's not so enthused about looking past cultural bias. Considering his staunch support of Vick, Michael Sam would be much better off in Dungy's eyes if he simply slaughtered a herd of kittens, and the odd corgi, on weekends rather than having a boyfriend.

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock
Closed Thread