Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:18 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you're a pretty good (not even great, just pretty good) CB hitting the market you're almost guaranteed 9-11m a year
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:20 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
If you're a pretty good (not even great, just pretty good) CB hitting the market you're almost guaranteed 9-11m a year
This.

CB value has blown up in recent years with so many great passing attacks in the league. You almost have to be three deep and have at least one corner who can take out an opponents WR on his own since those safeties are probably going to be busy with TEs.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:22 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

running a mix of zone/man coverage at the same time will stop all that passing non sense. It'll be known as the ultimate defense where you have 1 Cb shadow the best WR playing man on him, while the other 2 are playing zone. And the safties doing something.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:26 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't love or hate the Routt signing. It makes sense. We probably didn't think we could get something worked out with Carr. He reportedly wants $10m a year and I love Carr but he isn't worth it.. and any team that pays him that much will realize it.

Routt was a penalty machine last year but I'm pretty confident that Romeo Crennel and Emmitt Thomas can reign him in on the penalties.. plus he won't have to be a #1 CB here, and he'll have safety help over the top.

At the end of the day it doesn't even necessarily mean that Carr hits the market. With the passing attacks in the NFL now you need three good to great corners. We have enough cap space to sign Carr long term if we still wanted to. It isn't likely, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility. Would I have preferred Carr over Rout? Sure, but he isn't worth #1 CB money.

And this forces Bowe to the table too. The franchise tag is pretty much raring to be used now and he knows it'll be used on him and not Carr. He lost some leverage in negotiations.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Last edited by vidae : 02-20-2012 at 03:29 PM.
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:42 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Routt for what 6.5m/yr is a good deal considering Finnegan, Carr and whoever hits the market is going to try to command 10m/yr
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:43 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's a great contract for a #2 CB, which is all he's going to be. I'm fine with the money we're paying him. It still sucks to potentially lose Brandon Carr, a homegrown talent who has shown he fits the system well and is loved by the KC fans, but.. this is a business and if he wants $10m a year he'll have to go somewhere else to get it.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:56 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't get my hopes up about having all three CBs in KC. I'm not saying it won't happen, but if it does you will regret every penny spent on Stanford Routt. There are two things Routt can't do--play zone and cover a slot receiver. All he can do is use his athleticism and shadow WRs, but he does not do well on the inside. He is pretty good covering the outside, but he is going to give up 1st down after 1st down if you have him as your nickel corner.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:58 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

If I had to guess how this plays out, I'd guess we sign Bowe long term and then we tag Carr and trade him. It makes the most sense where we're sitting right now. Unless Carr decides to give the Chiefs a hometown discount (unlikely) and then we'll have all three under contract and go from there.

I guess I'm choosing to believe that RAC and ET can get more out of Routt than the Raiders did. We'll see if that turns out to be true or not.

Last edited by vidae : 02-20-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:24 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is some crap. 63 freaking million under the cap and they won't pay Carr...
Old 02-20-2012, 04:26 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
This is some crap. 63 freaking million under the cap and they won't pay Carr...
Maybe it was Carr who wanted to test the market? You really have no idea what is going on with him but in the meantime the Chiefs went out and made sure CB wasn't a GIANT hole opposite Flowers.

Sounds like a ton of crap to me. :\

Old 02-20-2012, 04:29 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They should have just tagged him instead of being cheap. I can't wait to see what average WR they use to "replace" Bowe when they let him walk.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:32 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Er, why would they let Bowe walk? If Bowe doesn't agree to a long term deal they tag him. If anything, signing Routt brings Bowe to the table on a long term deal quicker than he would have before.

This could have ended one of two ways:

1) Carr leaves in FA and there is a big hole at CB. They try to sign Routt AFTER FA starts and end up paying double what they're paying now.

2) They sign Routt to give them insurance in case Carr doesn't sign here long term, making sure they have no gaping hole at CB and instead are able to get a deal done with Bowe.

I would love to keep Carr, and it's still a possibility, but I'm glad they did something to make sure we wouldn't be in a lurch.

Besides, if they hadn't signed Routt, and Carr decided to leave in FA, you'd be pissed that they didn't do anything to secure that position. They can't win with you it seems.

ps you're absolutely nuts if you think Carr is worth $10m a year.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:51 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is going to be a strong CB class in FA. Rogers, Finnegan, Carr all could hit the open market.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:53 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Quote:
you're absolutely nuts if you think Carr is worth $10m a year.
You think Routt is worth 11?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...to-join-chiefs

Quote:
Routt will receive $6.5 million in guarantees and will make $11 million this season as part of a three-year deal, a source said.
I take it back that isn't cheap it's stupid.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:54 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

He is getting a signing bonus and his yearly contract earnings. Is he worth $11m a year for the next 3 years? No, but then again he isn't getting that. He's getting roughly $5.5m a year, which is a great price for a #2 CB.

Carr is going to want $10m a year + a massive signing bonus, and he IS NOT WORTH IT. Period.

I get that you want to keep Carr in KC.. I do too, but he just flat out isn't worth it.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:11 PM    (permalink
asdf1223
Veteran

asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
You think Routt is worth 11?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...to-join-chiefs

I take it back that isn't cheap it's stupid.
Part of that money is paid by the Raiders, as there is no offset in his contract language. I believe that 5 million of that was paid by the Raiders. And Routt is getting way too much hate because of that stupid Profootballfocus stat that said he allowed the most touchdowns when half of those where inside the 6 yard line.

I don't like Pioli much at all but this is a great move. There are plenty of GM's that would have signed some washed up 30 year old because they didn't want to "spend too much money at one position".
Old 02-20-2012, 05:14 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope Carr hits the F/A market now, I'd take a swap between him and Routt :)

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Carr to Cooper in 2015

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:15 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
I hope Carr hits the F/A market now, I'd take a swap between him and Routt :)
You expect the Raiders to get free agents? They have no money and Reggie McKenzie is the GM now.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:18 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Why would anyone want to go to Oakland?! That's where careers go to die, not flourish!

Old 02-20-2012, 05:20 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
You expect the Raiders to get free agents? They have no money and Reggie McKenzie is the GM now.
You realize the "cap issues" are not important at all, right? The Raiders can very easily get 20-30 million below the cap without losing any key contributors.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:23 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
You realize the "cap issues" are not important at all, right? The Raiders can very easily get 20-30 million below the cap without losing any key contributors.
What by restructuring contracts and stuff?

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:32 PM    (permalink
Basileus777
All-Pro

Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We played a ton of man to man coverage last year, so Routt fits KC fine. I'd rather have Carr, but Bowe is the bigger priority.
Basileus777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:34 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Word is that the Seahawks are probably going to let MLB David Hawthorne go. What teams need a Mike? I wonder if 3-4 teams would look at him...

And Kuelchy becomes a very real possibility at #11/12 for Seattle if they do indeed let DH go. Interesting.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:10 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think that it's anywhere close to a given that the Raiders won't be active in FA under McKenzie. You have to remember, McKenzie was trained by Ron Wolf -- not Ted Thompson -- and Wolf loved him some FA signings.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:10 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Hawthorne. If I needed a Mike LB, I'd look at him just as hard as I would Curtis Lofton.