Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:51 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, we clearly overpaid. But everyone overpays for quaterbacks, and it's not my money so what do I care?

I think we could win a Superbowl with Jay in the next 4-5 years (I don't think we will, but it's possible), so to that end I am ok with rolling with him instead of desperately looking for another QB in the first two rounds of this draft and starting over.

Basically I was swayed by the Bills fans. I don't want to become the Bills....

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:55 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Signing him is a lot better than not signing him. He's a good QB and keeps the Bears competitive for the foreseeable future. They just need to improve the defense. The length of the contract is confusing, but we don't know the numbers and structure of it yet.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:57 AM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys that have QB needs are just mad that Josh McCown has already said he wants to resign with Chicago and move his family here.
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:58 AM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
Signing him is a lot better than not signing him. He's a good QB and keeps the Bears competitive for the foreseeable future. They just need to improve the defense. The length of the contract is confusing, but we don't know the numbers and structure of it yet.
This is the key. Once we find out how the contract is structured and how much guaranteed, we'll be able to decide if it was good or not. If it was a lot of guaranteed money and very cap friendly per year, allowing us to revamp the defense with some younger talent this year and next, great.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:06 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im so glad people on this board are finally getting over the rabid Cutler love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Job Reborn
Pro Bowler

Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cutler is a slightly better Rex Grossman, I have zero faith in that guy.
Job Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:23 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Im so glad people on this board are finally getting over the rabid Cutler love.
This was never a thing. I don't know why anyone says it was.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:25 PM    (permalink
Job Reborn
Pro Bowler

Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
It was a thing. Cutler got hot once a couple of years ago and everyone was raving about how great he was for putting up with that offensive line and blahblahblah.
Job Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:25 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Because it absolutely was. Every sunday I used to have it out with *** orc and several other posters about whether or not Cutler was some great QB. Usually it was always Martz's fault or what not and that he had enormous potential to grow as a player. It absolutely was a thing.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:29 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Because it absolutely was. Every sunday I used to have it out with *** orc and several other posters about whether or not Cutler was some great QB. Usually it was always Martz's fault or what not and that he had enormous potential to grow as a player. It absolutely was a thing.
Yeah, the Cutler obsession has gone back since I've been a member of this board...
Old 01-02-2014, 12:33 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
I do remember this, there were Bears fans that were very excited to finally have an NFL-level QB and wanted to believe he was going to lead us to the promise land.

And to be fair, it was equally combated with people saying that Cutler is a below average NFL QB, which is just non-sense. Mind you, not below average starting QB, just a below average QB in general. It was just as annoying.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:33 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Shanny Cutler and Marshall a great combo.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:35 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
I do remember this, there were Bears fans that were very excited to finally have an NFL-level QB and wanted to believe he was going to lead us to the promise land.

And to be fair, it was equally combated with people saying that Cutler is a below average NFL QB, which is just non-sense. Mind you, not below average starting QB, just a below average QB in general. It was just as annoying.
Sure, and I probably fall into that latter category of underselling him. For me, as much as I bash Smith, I'd rather take a mediocre ball protector than a mediocre gun slinger who can at times make some beautiful throws but than other times just makes mind numbing interceptions.

Either way, this board did absolutely have a very large pro Cutler base for awhile around here.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-02-2014, 12:35 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Honestly, if the Bills gave Cutler a $100M deal, I would have no problem with it. In fact, I'd be ecstatic. You guys are so spoiled. Ditto for any other QB that can consistently provide at least average play. Bills almost definitely make the playoffs this year with Cutler. SOLD!
Old 01-02-2014, 12:36 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Yeah, I'm hardly a Cutler fan, but the anti-Cutler crowd has always seemed to be more vocal, if not larger, than the pro-Cutler crowd.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:36 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Honestly, if the Bills gave Cutler a $100M deal, I would have no problem with it. In fact, I'd be ecstatic. You guys are so spoiled.
Well, it's probably 120M...

Old 01-02-2014, 12:38 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well, it's probably 120M...
I'm fine with up to ~Romo money. And who cares about the total? It's all about the guaranteed dollars and when you can cut them without incurring a monster cap hit.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:39 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cutler's a good QB to have on a bad offense. Whether he plays on a bad or good offense he puts up roughly the same league average type numbers.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:52 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
Cutler's a good QB to have on a bad offense. Whether he plays on a bad or good offense he puts up roughly the same league average type numbers.
Cutler would be amazing if he cut back on stupid decisions. He will play a solid game, then just ******* heave a ball into double coverage because why not?

He has a great arm and makes some spectacular throws, he just makes a lot of dumb decisions.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:56 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
I'm fine with up to ~Romo money. And who cares about the total? It's all about the guaranteed dollars and when you can cut them without incurring a monster cap hit.
Especially when it's a 30 year old getting a 7 year contract.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:05 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post

I certainly meant starting QB, not overall.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:14 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
Cutler would be amazing if he cut back on stupid decisions. He will play a solid game, then just ******* heave a ball into double coverage because why not?

He has a great arm and makes some spectacular throws, he just makes a lot of dumb decisions.
yep, since 2006 so I don't think it's too reasonable to expect change. I can definitely envision Cutler putting together a truly amazing year if all the dominos go right though. one of these seasons.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:16 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
yep, since 2006 so I don't think it's too reasonable to expect change. I can definitely envision Cutler putting together a truly amazing year if all the dominos go right though. one of these seasons.
He had some pretty abysmal receiving help until the past couple years in Chicago... Imagine if Chicago could land a legit slot receiver to what they already have, they would be deadly.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:17 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

So where does Michael Vick end up? He's the only one even remotely in the starting QB conversation assuming McCown either returns to the Bears or retires.

Edit: I guess you could consider Matt Schaub a redemption project too.

Last edited by bearsfan_51 : 01-02-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:17 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I believe in you Jay <3

Let it fly.