Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:54 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Cutler doesn't make the Bears an annual contender by himself, but it's ludicrous to suggest they'll never be anything more than a wildcard team with him at the helm. Particularly because they've already won the division with Cutler, and they made a Superbowl with Rex Grossman.
I agree that Cutler is good enough to possibly quarterback a team which makes a respectable playoff run if the rest of the roster is sufficiently productive, but in my opinion that does not justify the excessive commitment the team made to him. Consider other quarterbacks who have accomplished that recently, such as Mark Sanchez and his two straight AFC Championship Game appearances. $120 million is the type of money you spend on an elite player, or is understandable to someone recently coming of of a Super Bowl victory like the extensions given to Joe Flacco and Eli Manning.

I would have liked to see Chicago take a look at a second-day developmental quarterback in this year's draft while bridging the gap between Cutler and such a player with Josh McCown or another similar option. The money saved could be spread around to a few starters and some key reserves rather than putting all of the eggs in one basket.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:54 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Didn't the Broncos have this guy named Cutler between Plumber and Orton?
Old 01-02-2014, 12:55 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat316 View Post
I don't understand why Kluwe didn't get a job afterwards and who the hell drafts a punter in the 5th, when your teams is much worse in other areas?

Locke was about the same as Kluwe, he wasn't heads and shoulders better.
Because Kluwe is a wow playing Cool loving long haired bafoon thats why!

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:56 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Has there been any confirmation that the deal is worth $120M?

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:59 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
17.6 million a year x 7 = 123.2 million

17.6 or 17.8 was believed to be the average per year.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
Old 01-02-2014, 12:59 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
My bad, Brandon Marshall tweeted that it's actually $126 million. I had originally seen $120 million this morning.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:00 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah, from Brandon Marshall lol

Quote:
Machine Marshall ‏@BMarshall 13m

BOOM.. . JAY 7 for 126.. . Congrats now let's go win. #beardown http://instagram.com/p/irVIvNotJC/
Old 01-02-2014, 01:02 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
How is Flacco better than Cutler? He had his first tough season in regards to line play/running backs this year, and he was awful.

And psh, Griese/Plummer are elite compared to Mike McMahon, Joey Harrington, Dan Orlovsky, old Daunte Culpepper, Stoney Case, Drew Stanton, etc.
we can start with him being 2 years younger. cutler was generally outplayed by josh mccown, with one of the better supporting casts he's had in his career. he spent most of his career actively trying to hold the bears back (i'm sure 2009 was different), or at least not helping. the fact that some folks haven't had a qb in forever is irrelevant nonsense. i'd rather spend some time trying to get a good one than sticking with a mediocre one and hoping for a one and done playoff season. and no, just being there is crap. the point is to win.

griese was the original deer in the headlights. and plummer was horrible. i have no idea why he suddenly had so many cheerleaders when we drafted cutler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat316 View Post
Didn't the Broncos have this guy named Cutler between Plumber and Orton?
yes?
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:03 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
1 playoff win in 54 years.
Oh please. You only remember like 15 of them and you get to watch Megatron.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:04 PM    (permalink
Job Reborn
Veteran

Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll go on record saying I liked (and still do) the value the Broncos had when trading Cutler for Orton and two firsts. It's just too bad McD ended up wasting those picks on poor players.
Job Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:05 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
1 playoff win in 54 years is freakin terrible, I didn't realize Detroit was THAT bad.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:05 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And here's the full details

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 44s

#Bears QB Jay Cutler’s contract: 7 years, $126 million with $54M guaranteed.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:06 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
1 playoff win in 54 years is freakin terrible, I didn't realize Detroit was THAT bad.
I can only remember one playoff game, period. It was the Music City Miracle. History is nice and all, but if you don't remember it, who really cares?

Lions fans have made the playoffs and have had the privilege of watching Barry and Megatron. I'd take that in a second.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:09 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job Reborn View Post
I'll go on record saying I liked (and still do) the value the Broncos had when trading Cutler for Orton and two firsts. It's just too bad McD ended up wasting those picks on poor players.
They did waste most of the picks, but the 2010 first-rounder they received, #11 overall, was traded down for the #13 and #113 picks, and the #13 pick was subsequently traded for #24, #70, and #87, with McDaniels later packaging the #24 and #113 picks acquired during that sequence to draft Demariyus Thomas at #22 overall. Not a bad return.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:10 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
They did waste most of the picks, but the 2010 first-rounder they received, #11 overall, was traded down for the #13 and #113 picks, and the #13 pick was subsequently traded for #24, #70, and #87, with McDaniels later packaging the #24 and #113 picks acquired during that sequence to draft Demariyus Thomas at #22 overall. Not a bad return.
If they didn't fall ass backwards into Manning and were starting Osweiler or Tebow, nobody would be saying this.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:12 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post
http://deadspin.com/i-was-an-nfl-pla...-an-1493208214

Chris Kluwe with some not so good stuff to say about Frazier, Spielman...and especially his ST coach, Priefer. Priefer comes out looking really bad in this story
Honestly, this makes Kluwe look just as bad as Frazier, and Spielman.

When you call your employers cowards, it doesn't make you look any better. The entire article was pretty biased in its language. Whether you like it or not, you have to be mindful of what you say publicly and how it effects your employment. That goes for everyone.

They had every right to let him go if they wanted to. They're not cowards for it. The ST coach is a giant turd, and I won't defend him in anyway.

But calling Spielman and Frazier cowards over cutting you is harsh and uncalled for. They made it clear they weren't comfortable with your public stance (and it's obvious it wasn't just the *** rights activism they were uncomfortable with as he made comments about the Pope as well), they are your bosses, and you went against direct orders and continued. Right or wrong, that's grounds for termination.

I'm all for Kluwe's cause, but his behavior doesn't make him a saint either. And he pretty much torpedoed his career by writing that article. He has no one to blame for that but himself.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:13 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
15 of what? We've played 1 playoff game since 2000, and we got slaughtered by the Saints. We've had 4 terrible coaches, countless busts, the worst GM in history, the worst record over a 10 year span in history, and a bankrupt city. Hell, you say we have Calvin Johnson, but as great as he is, he makes more mistakes than any elite receiver ever should. He probably cost us 2 games this year with his random ass drops and/or fumbles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
we can start with him being 2 years younger. cutler was generally outplayed by josh mccown, with one of the better supporting casts he's had in his career. he spent most of his career actively trying to hold the bears back (i'm sure 2009 was different), or at least not helping. the fact that some folks haven't had a qb in forever is irrelevant nonsense. i'd rather spend some time trying to get a good one than sticking with a mediocre one and hoping for a one and done playoff season. and no, just being there is crap. the point is to win.

griese was the original deer in the headlights. and plummer was horrible. i have no idea why he suddenly had so many cheerleaders when we drafted cutler.
But the point is that Baltimore won one with Flacco, meaning the Bears could conceivably win one with Cutler. All he has to do is get hot.

And those QBs are still WAY better than the ones I listed. Our best QB in the last 50 years is a guy who throws sidearm 20% of the time due to boredom or laziness, or a combination of the two.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:15 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

Quote:
I can only remember one playoff game, period. It was the Music City Miracle. History is nice and all, but if you don't remember it, who really cares?

Lions fans have made the playoffs and have had the privilege of watching Barry and Megatron. I'd take that in a second.
I only remember going to the playoffs in 2002 as the Browns. We were smoking the Steelers and gave up a huge lead to Tommy Maddox.

The Falcons game that got us to the playoffs was fun as hell though.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:17 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
But the point is that Baltimore won one with Flacco, meaning the Bears could conceivably win one with Cutler. All he has to do is get hot.
i disagree. i think flacco was capable of playing a roethlisbergerian game. i don't think cutler is.

Quote:
And those QBs are still WAY better than the ones I listed. Our best QB in the last 50 years is a guy who throws sidearm 20% of the time due to boredom or laziness, or a combination of the two.
maybe y'all should try to bring scott mitchell back.

could be worse though. you could have had awful starting quarterbacks and made no recent moves whatsoever to upgrade the position, like the chiefs.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:17 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post

yes?
I could have sworn you were a Cutler guy for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job Reborn View Post
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:19 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_2246353...aniels-broncos

Not really sure he wasted those picks minus the Tebow one (TEBOW GOT THEM A PLAYOFF WIN THOUGH)

Old 01-02-2014, 01:20 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
I could have sworn you were a Cutler guy for some reason.
i was. cutler and bradford. i'm tired of making excuses or thinking they'll grow. stafford's in the same boat, now.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:20 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post
And here's the full details

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 44s

#Bears QB Jay Cutler’s contract: 7 years, $126 million with $54M guaranteed.
So, I have to ask this. Who do you guys think is going to be the first quarterback to get a bigger contract than Alex Rodriguez?
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:26 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
15 of what? We've played 1 playoff game since 2000, and we got slaughtered by the Saints. We've had 4 terrible coaches, countless busts, the worst GM in history, the worst record over a 10 year span in history, and a bankrupt city. Hell, you say we have Calvin Johnson, but as great as he is, he makes more mistakes than any elite receiver ever should. He probably cost us 2 games this year with his random ass drops and/or fumbles.
15 of the years. And yeah, it sucks being a fan of the Lions. But you have been far from the worst team to root for since Stafford/Megatron have joined. Hell, you even play indoors which is sweet.....not having to wear hunting gear to winter games is a luxury.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:28 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
So, I have to ask this. Who do you guys think is going to be the first quarterback to get a bigger contract than Alex Rodriguez?
Will never happen. We may see a contract with $27M aav down the line, but A-Rod's was all guaranteed.