Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 03-24-2007, 02:21 PM    (permalink
bigfanga

I've been rethinking my draft evaluation constantly as information continues to trickle out and roster moves evolve as I am sure all of you are and I've been a bit baffled by a question lately:

Outside of a preference for a 4-3, how much do we know about Zimmer's philosophy? For instance, is he Tampa-2 guy? A zone biltz guy? All of these things should be on our minds since most of you seem to agree with me on the importance of rebuilding, especially the line & secondary. If anyone knows more about Zimmer then please share it here. Maybe I've missed all of this somewhere and you can point me in the right direction.

Much Appreciated!
Old 03-24-2007, 03:01 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

zone blitz core with man corners...

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:10 PM    (permalink
bigfanga

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Is run support more or less important for CBs? Chris Houston looks damn good as a pure cover guy but if run support is emphasized then Darrell Revis should be the team's top CB, I believe.

Thanks
Old 03-24-2007, 03:12 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would say it's less important than being able to cover in a press man scheme. I would also say that Crhis Houston would be the ideal corner for us in the draft but we would be better off with Jimmy Williams at RCB and then getting a FS like Merriweather or Landry.

Owner of ScarDraft
Old 03-24-2007, 03:31 PM    (permalink
bigfanga

Yeah, I'll have to respectfully disagree with you there since I would prefer to move JW and draft either Landry as a compliment/competitor at safety and drafting a top CB. That way, we should have a solid-to-great secondary for years. Then use the rest of the picks for OL & DL and maybe sneak in M. Bush if available in rd. 3.

As I said, I respect your idea, if the team's idea is to keep JW at CB. That makes perfect sense. I just believe that JW is a more natural safety.

Thanks again and maybe more people will get involved.

P.S. It should be obvious that I am emphasizing building a dominant defense. I don't want a huge argument about using #8 for CJ (as part of a trade-up package) or drafting Peterson. I'm just trying to evaluate the pick as it fits into my own philosophy. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:21 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

JW is too good as a corner, and causes TONS of matchup problems. He is more physical than any corner in the league, and has the size to knock anyone around, plus the fact that he can still run with anyone as well. J W is a baller, and he's the one we need to use.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:51 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

yup. in press coverage, D-lo, and Jimmy are crazy strong and would force a guy to stay in that 5 yard cushion for close to an extra second.

Owner of ScarDraft
Old 03-24-2007, 09:46 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

That would give us all kinds of time if we could swing it that way.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:17 PM    (permalink
catcher_0_3
Rookie

catcher_0_3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I was under the opinion that Zimmer was actually a 3-4 guy since he was the D-coordinator at Dallas, but Petrino over rules him and says we are playing a 4-3, which personally I like better. Am I correct in this thinking, or have I been misinformed
catcher_0_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:53 PM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Greatly missinformed, he is one of the best 4/3 guys in the biz in 04 OR 03 he lead the #1 ranked defence in the NFL at the cowboys as a 4/3 then after that parcells made him change to 3/4 so over the past few years he has been out of his comfort zone...he even recognised this as a key reason on coming to the ATL

Last edited by DraftMichaelHuff : 03-25-2007 at 06:26 AM.
DraftMichaelHuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:13 PM    (permalink
catcher_0_3
Rookie

catcher_0_3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Gotcha, makes since now.
catcher_0_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:35 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

I got a question too...what about Pat Watkins...obviously Zimmer liked him, and he's real solid, but for some reason the fans aren't happy with him there in Dallas...if he is cut...could we go for him...or could we use someone like Crocker as trade bait to bring him here? Crocker would be the kind of Saftey they like more...and we need a coverage Saftey like none other...I think it could be a pretty fair swap and it would let us pass on Safetys early and address other needs.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:42 AM    (permalink
bigfanga

I think the reason that Watkins is not well-regarded in Dallas is the same reason that he wouldn't be a good fit here in Atlanta: namely, he's not good in coverage. At all. Dallas desperately needs a good cover safety to help make up for Roy Williams' weaknesses in coverage. We need the same thing to make up for Milloy, who at one time was good in coverage but has definitely lost a step or two in old age.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:55 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

I don't think that is the case at all. Watkins is one of the better coverage guys in the draft last year. Very VERY good in coverage, even to the point where he played some cornerback. That's why I liked him so much, not to mention there is NO chance you get a fade route over him. He's just as tall as any WR plus with a 41 inch vert, he could go up against CJ.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:21 PM    (permalink
bigfanga

I never read anything last year that said Watkins was good in coverage. I get Lindy's, Athlon and Street & Smith's draft issues every year in addition to reading everything I can get my hands on online & Watkins was consistently questioned for his coverage ability. Furthermore, when he was put in alongside Roy, the deep secondary fell apart. This is the reason the Cowboys signed Hamilin and are also in the running for a safety in this year's draft. You can question all day whether the Cowboys' safety woes are due to lack of ability on their part or a lack of a pass rush or even if it's due to a bad scheme, but the reason that Watkins has been passed over is specifically because he gave up too many big plays when he was given the chance to show what he's got.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:31 PM    (permalink
JDB7821
Rookie

JDB7821 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanga View Post
I think the reason that Watkins is not well-regarded in Dallas is the same reason that he wouldn't be a good fit here in Atlanta: namely, he's not good in coverage. At all. Dallas desperately needs a good cover safety to help make up for Roy Williams' weaknesses in coverage. We need the same thing to make up for Milloy, who at one time was good in coverage but has definitely lost a step or two in old age.
I have to agree with this oxygen, every Dallas game I saw Watkins was no where near great in coverage. Granted he was a rookie, a mid rounder at that, but that would have to be the reason the fans do not like him.
JDB7821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:32 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

I watched the games...I watched him lock up WRs in man to man coverage...he is perfectly fine in coverage. I didn't get to see him this year in the NFL, but in college his coverage was his best ability, he always knows when to get there to break up a pass, pick it, or dislodge the ball from a WR. His hips are exceptional for a guy his size. I'd love to see him in ATL as our FS. When I did see him out there he did a great job, in the 2 games I saw him play, he was all over the field, and nothing got past him...
Old 03-26-2007, 12:33 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDB7821 View Post
I have to agree with this oxygen, every Dallas game I saw Watkins was no where near great in coverage. Granted he was a rookie, a mid rounder at that, but that would have to be the reason the fans do not like him.
I know most people don't like him, that's fine, I'm not worried about that. But there is a reason he won the starting FS job as a 5th round selection. It wasn't because he wasn't very capable in coverage. He doesn't get beat over the top...that's the job of a Safety. Keep people out of the endzone.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:57 PM    (permalink
bigfanga

Go over to the Cowboys' team forum and ask them. Their assessment will be exactly what I just told you. He is lousy in coverage and gave up big plays when he was in the game. Parcells gave him a chance and he failed. Now, their may be a legitimate reason why he failed (no/poor pass rush, etc.) but there is no question that he failed.

I know this because I had him on my draft board last year and kept an eye on him during the season, just like I do all rookies that were on my Falcons board each year. I know it sounds a little masochistic to watch out for guys that we missed out on, but isn't being a Falcon fan an exercise in masochism anyway?