Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-24-2007, 04:35 PM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default spring owners meeting

Thought this was kind of an interesting idea that they'll be discussing:

Quote:
Owners will consider a proposal that would allow one defensive player designated by the team to have a radio communication device inside his helmet. The device would permit the defensive coordinator to communicate with a key player in his huddle, in much the same manner coaches now communicate with the quarterback.
Possible changes to overtime could be interesting also.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...t&lid=tab4pos1

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.
Vince Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 04:56 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love the pass interference changes that the 49ers are proposing.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:04 PM    (permalink
Schenkel23

Quote:
It appears the league will alter the manner in which teams report injuries during the week. The standard designations with which everyone has become familiar -- "out," "questionable" or "doubtful" -- would be used only on Friday, not beginning on Wednesday each week. Until Friday, teams would identify if a player practiced during the week, and to what extent.
I'm liking that idea.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:04 PM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
I love the pass interference changes that the 49ers are proposing.
yea I do too. I've seen way too many good games get blown because of teams purposely just trying to get interference calls or refs making bad calls.

Quote:
i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Bengals1690
Veteran

Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Lombardi View Post
yea I do too. I've seen way too many good games get blown because of teams purposely just trying to get interference calls or refs making bad calls.
but then the refs will make bad judgement calls, and people will still blame them. IMO, there are only 2 things that need to be changed: Roughing the Passer calls, and a better overtime thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbusta View Post
i love my pedestal. thats why im the mythbusta.
who dey?
Bengals1690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:21 PM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals1690 View Post
but then the refs will make bad judgement calls, and people will still blame them. IMO, there are only 2 things that need to be changed: Roughing the Passer calls, and a better overtime thing.
They already make bad judgement calls. The problem now is that if they make one it's all or nothing. If a team throws a bomb and there's some incidental contact and a ref calls it it could end up penalizing a team 60+ yards and possibly costing them the game. If the ref makes that call with the proposed change he could decide it was only a 15 yard interference penalty, instead of a spot penalty.

Quote:
Old 03-24-2007, 05:28 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Better overtime and roughing the passer would be my top priorities. The pass interfierence would take a second to that. All are very important needless to say (though I wouldn't suspect a change in the overtime rules this year).

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:31 PM    (permalink
Bengals1690
Veteran

Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
They already make bad judgement calls. The problem now is that if they make one it's all or nothing. If a team throws a bomb and there's some incidental contact and a ref calls it it could end up penalizing a team 60+ yards and possibly costing them the game. If the ref makes that call with the proposed change he could decide it was only a 15 yard interference penalty, instead of a spot penalty.
i understand that, but if a team is throwing a long pass (over 15), the DB could intentioanlly (sp?) foul to save a big pickup. Pass interference is a hard foul to call. IDK there are good spots in both ways.

Quote:
who dey?
Old 03-24-2007, 05:56 PM    (permalink
myinnerself
Rookie

myinnerself hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The college overtime system is the best. In the NFL they could start from the 35 instead of the 25 and do the same system. The current Sudden Death system is terrible.
myinnerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:34 PM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Quote:
i understand that, but if a team is throwing a long pass (over 15), the DB could intentioanlly (sp?) foul to save a big pickup. Pass interference is a hard foul to call. IDK there are good spots in both ways.
You've got a valid point, but I think any intentional fouls would most likely be called as spot fouls. Regardless, either way there are gonna be messed up calls. I just think if there's a choice of 15 yards or spot it could minimalize the refs having an impact on the outcome of the game. I could be completely wrong though...

Quote:
Old 03-24-2007, 06:40 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So have they gotten around to discussing whether or not they'll institute the new rule where all QB's must wear a protective bubble lined with razor wire?
Old 03-24-2007, 08:29 PM    (permalink
skinzzfan25
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.

Quote:
That's what they taught me last year for football xD

If you get beat deep, just trip them cause it's only a 15 yard penalty :)
Old 03-24-2007, 08:34 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

and most the time when you trip em it looks as if your feet just got tangled and they dont call anything :)

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:41 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like that idea, give it to the MLB or Safety

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:49 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myinnerself View Post
The college overtime system is the best. In the NFL they could start from the 35 instead of the 25 and do the same system. The current Sudden Death system is terrible.
I hate college overtime. It isn't real football. It's a scrimmage where field position doesn't even matter.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:49 PM    (permalink
Star Wideout
Veteran

Star Wideout hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinzzfan25 View Post
That's what they taught me last year for football xD

If you get beat deep, just trip them cause it's only a 15 yard penalty :)
If you were beat though how would you be in position to trip the receiver?

unless you mean when you realized they were in a better position to catch the ball.

also what is the exact date the owners meeting starts, don't think they said in that article?
Star Wideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:51 PM    (permalink
Bengals1690
Veteran

Quote:
I hate college overtime. It isn't real football. It's a scrimmage where field position doesn't even matter.
college overtime is better than the NFL overtime, just because it gives both teams a chance. But in the NFL, they should at least kick it off.

Quote:
who dey?
Old 03-24-2007, 08:53 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

Quote:
college overtime is better than the NFL overtime, just because it gives both teams a chance. But in the NFL, they should at least kick it off.
Meh...agree to disagree then. I just feel that if my team wasn't able to stop the opposing team when it really mattered, then they didn't deserve to win the game in the first place. That doesn't even take into account all the opportunities my team probably had during regulation to avoid overtime in the first place.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:09 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Meh...agree to disagree then. I just feel that if my team wasn't able to stop the opposing team when it really mattered, then they didn't deserve to win the game in the first place. That doesn't even take into account all the opportunities my team probably had during regulation to avoid overtime in the first place.
The problem is that it isn't fair to say one team has to stop the other, without ever finding out whether the other team could make a stop. If your team deserves to lose because they couldn't make a stop, then so does your opponent. This is especially a problem in those 31-31 games where both offenses have been moving the ball at will all day. It's also pretty weak that the team only needs to get to the 35 yard line and kick a FG. Overtime is usually anti-climactic in the NFL. I'm not in favor of adopting the college format, but I think both teams should have to kick the ball off at least once. It would level the playing field, and make things much more interesting. The fact that the team to win the toss ends up winning the game 62% of the time is more than enough of a reason to change the format.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:28 PM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
The problem is that it isn't fair to say one team has to stop the other, without ever finding out whether the other team could make a stop. If your team deserves to lose because they couldn't make a stop, then so does your opponent. This is especially a problem in those 31-31 games where both offenses have been moving the ball at will all day. It's also pretty weak that the team only needs to get to the 35 yard line and kick a FG. Overtime is usually anti-climactic in the NFL. I'm not in favor of adopting the college format, but I think both teams should have to kick the ball off at least once. It would level the playing field, and make things much more interesting. The fact that the team to win the toss ends up winning the game 62% of the time is more than enough of a reason to change the format.
maybe they should keep OT the way it is but disallow field goals. First team to score a TD wins. Atleast that way they have to mount a real drive.

Quote:
Old 03-24-2007, 09:31 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

Quote:
maybe they should keep OT the way it is but disallow field goals. First team to score a TD wins. Atleast that way they have to mount a real drive.
I think that's a good compromise. I would actually be in favor of that.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:33 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aren't they trying to make it so Spiking the Ball is a penalty?
Old 03-24-2007, 10:05 PM    (permalink
THIZZorDIE
Veteran

THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.

Quote:
You've got a valid point, but I think any intentional fouls would most likely be called as spot fouls. Regardless, either way there are gonna be messed up calls. I just think if there's a choice of 15 yards or spot it could minimalize the refs having an impact on the outcome of the game. I could be completely wrong though...
Thats right, Its just about minimizing the impact of referees in the outcome of the game. I dont think it will pass, The leaggue will just tell them to stick with the patriot act.
THIZZorDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:06 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
Aren't they trying to make it so Spiking the Ball is a penalty?
Spiking it not in the end zone, which is still dumb to get rid of.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:07 PM    (permalink
THIZZorDIE
Veteran

THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
I think that's a good compromise. I would actually be in favor of that.
I think that is a really good rule. There goes early turnovers turned into FG's.
THIZZorDIE is offline   Reply With Quote