Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum Discuss the Bucs

Old 08-04-2011, 06:15 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default S Taylor Mays available

ALl teams emailed regarding his availability. 49ers signed Donte Whitner. I figure at this point in the story, a 7th rounder could land him.

Mays could succeed in the Bucs T-2 system. He is not a great single-high safety, he could do well in the box to be a hitter with enough athletic ability to get back and cover half of the field. THe guy is a physical marvel, is only 23 years old, he's at least worth I look I would think.. He played in all 16 games last season, starting 6. At 6'3 230, he would be able to provide a presence in the box in 8 man fronts, and with his exceptional speed he could really cover his deep half of the field. I'm interested.
brasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:54 PM    (permalink
Legacy
Veteran

Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No, thanks. He's a physical freak, but not a football player. He's not instinctive and lacks a nose for the big play. His first game as a starter was good, but he did nothing to speak of the rest of the season.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:59 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At the very least, he can run down the field at 6'3 230 at 4.3 and cover some kickoffs and be a gunner on the punt coverage team.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:07 PM    (permalink
Legacy
Veteran

Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasho View Post
At the very least, he can run down the field at 6'3 230 at 4.3 and cover some kickoffs and be a gunner on the punt coverage team.
You do realize that his contract would make him more expensive than every safety we currently have on the roster sans Sean Jones, correct? There's no way in hell we pay that for a special teamer.

If you want him, hope he gets cut and try to pick him up. If we do that, I wouldn't complain about it, though I think a guy like Larry Asante has more to offer than he does.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:42 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

How bad could his contract be? He was a 2nd round draftee. Yes, he would be the second most expensive safety on the roster, but that's because Grimm is on an a 7th rounder's contract, Black on a 5th, Lynch on a street free agent's with less than 4 years of service, Asanta-same, and Tanard a 4th round contract. I'm sure we can afford his contract, it is hardly a monster deal.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:20 PM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do.Want.

10char

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM
bullg8rdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:07 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
You do realize that his contract would make him more expensive than every safety we currently have on the roster sans Sean Jones, correct? There's no way in hell we pay that for a special teamer.

If you want him, hope he gets cut and try to pick him up. If we do that, I wouldn't complain about it, though I think a guy like Larry Asante has more to offer than he does.
Yeah his contract isn't bad...

But I still don't want.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:12 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Taylor Mays for Josh Johnson
Old 08-04-2011, 10:41 PM    (permalink
V.I.P
Pro Bowler

V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Stay away from Josh Johnson !!!!!

Mike Will & V-Jax
V.I.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:15 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The thought of Mays in our defense is intriguing because of how different he is from our safeties, but to me that's not a good thing. At safety it's all about your short-area quickness, agility, burst, etc. Mays has great long speed but he's really stiff, which is probably the reason why he's on the trading block.

Either way, we already know that Dominik wants nothing but homegrown talent on this team. Mays will not be a Buc.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:18 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Yikes! JJ has real and legitimate value for us. If Freeman goes down, the Bucs have complete faith in him, so do I.

Mays is currently running with the 3rd team in San Fran, he's in danger of being released. Anything more than a 7th round pick or Kyle Moore is way too much.

We could do Josh Johnson, Josh Johnson and they also send us a 3rd round pick.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:22 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
The thought of Mays in our defense is intriguing because of how different he is from our safeties, but to me that's not a good thing. At safety it's all about your short-area quickness, agility, burst, etc. Mays has great long speed but he's really stiff, which is probably the reason why he's on the trading block.

Either way, we already know that Dominik wants nothing but homegrown talent on this team. Mays will not be a Buc.
I don't know... homegrown... Blount, Magee, Larsen, Crowder, Brandon Carter, Ed Gant, Carpenter, Robert Malone, and others all started on OTHER teams rosters to start their respective careers. Mays is 23, it's not like he's become entrenched in the "49er Way". He's still extremely young, extremely talented, and would be good competition for one of the few positions on the roster where I have questions.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:39 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mays has no football instincts what so ever. He's a physical freak and athlete, but honestly, he's Sabby Piscatelli 2.0. He isn't a football player.

We have a lot of promise in Larry Assante and Cody Grimm at SS and Ahmad Black is good depth as well and Lynch is a solid Special Teamer.

We're going to get a pro bowl caliber FS in Tanard Jackson back and the entire lockeroom wants him back because he is a leader on the field and thats what this team needs. Sure he's had his pot-smoking issues and 1 more he's done, but the fact he was working out with the Bucs during the lockout all offseason shows he's dedicated.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:50 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

BTW, our boy Sabby just got signed by the Chiefs the other day. Regardless of his instincts at safety, he's an excellent special teamer. Mays could be a great special teamer as well. Plus, he doesn't turn down contact. No, he's not an Ed Reed FS, but he could be a good in-the-box SS.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:01 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
BTW, our boy Sabby just got signed by the Chiefs the other day. Regardless of his instincts at safety, he's an excellent special teamer. Mays could be a great special teamer as well. Plus, he doesn't turn down contact. No, he's not an Ed Reed FS, but he could be a good in-the-box SS.
I'll pass and I'm sure Mark Dominik will too. They haven't made any moves so far to the secondary, so I don't think they will now. T-Jack is coming back after week 2 and shouldnt have a problem being reinstated (if Plax got reinstated immediately, I believe T-Jack will too.) Grimm is more of a SS in the box and Assante played very well last year in limited action and I think has more upside than Grimm.

We're young and talented at S, so we won't trade for a special teamer. Lynch is already a solid special teamer.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:13 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

I/m 99% certain we will pass. That doesn't mean I can't hope. Most of the free agents I liked we didn't sniff, and all of the defensive free agents I like went on to play for other teams in the T-2 (meaning they at least fit). Anybody that we sign in the future will likely be a surprise as making a big splash is cetainly not our style.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:22 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I/m 99% certain we will pass. That doesn't mean I can't hope. Most of the free agents I liked we didn't sniff, and all of the defensive free agents I like went on to play for other teams in the T-2 (meaning they at least fit). Anybody that we sign in the future will likely be a surprise as making a big splash is cetainly not our style.
Yeah, but I'm ok with that. Making a splash in FA this offseason is tough/risky to team development in chemistry. These guys who all just signed with the Eagles signed in August, meaning they have a month to gel and get adjusted to playing with a new team.

In our situation, we're building off momentum from last year. We're getting a playmaker back in T-Jack and he's been working out all offseason with the club and brings leadership.

Freeman looks AWESOME right now and we found some players last offseason that have talent with a playmaker in Briscoe and a solid special teamer/SS starter in Larry Assante.

Dominik is building through the draft and has hit on 90% of his picks. Honestly, the only thing I'm unsure of is not having a better compliment RB to Blount, but I'm hearing good things out of Lumpkin so far, so maybe he's found another contributor.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:26 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

offer matt ryan

yours truly, 49ers fans

lol

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:30 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora

QB Jonathan Crompton, who was released by Pats this week, agrees to terms on 3yr deal with the Bucs
Josh Johnson is OURS!!!!

I know, I know... camp arm.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:32 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is not a strong safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:14 PM    (permalink
Legacy
Veteran

Quote:
he could be a good in-the-box SS.
Already got one of those. His name is Cody Grimm and I'll take him over Taylor Mays every single day of the week, because Grimm may not be a freakish athlete, but he's a pretty damned good football player.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:42 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
He is not a strong safety.
I don't know. He benched 225 24X at the combine last year. I wouldn't say he's weak.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:04 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Here's a thought. Crompton was brought in to battle Rudy Carpenter for the #3 QB role. But what if he's been brought in to be the 3rd QB, with Carpenter moving to #2. The Bucs have 5 QBs on the roster right now despite the norm at this time of year being 4. Why hasn't camp arm Coughlin been released yet?

Perhaps JJ has a suitor for his services? 49ers, Redskins, or somebody else... He's got one year left on his contract and I know the Bucs love him, I love him, but what do you pay a backup QB that you'll never give a healthy chance to start? I've heard JJ thinks he is a starter and I don't disagree. Personally, I don't see him being worth anything less than a 3rd rounder, possibly a 2nd rounder.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:15 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Here's a thought. Crompton was brought in to battle Rudy Carpenter for the #3 QB role. But what if he's been brought in to be the 3rd QB, with Carpenter moving to #2. The Bucs have 5 QBs on the roster right now despite the norm at this time of year being 4. Why hasn't camp arm Coughlin been released yet?

Perhaps JJ has a suitor for his services? 49ers, Redskins, or somebody else... He's got one year left on his contract and I know the Bucs love him, I love him, but what do you pay a backup QB that you'll never give a healthy chance to start? I've heard JJ thinks he is a starter and I don't disagree. Personally, I don't see him being worth anything less than a 3rd rounder, possibly a 2nd rounder.
The only game film they have on JJ is not worth a 2nd or 3rd rounder. He's shown flashes, but I don't think any team will surrender that high of a pick.

The 49ers won't trade for him. They moved up for Kaepernick and then resigned Alex Smith. Washington is dead set on tanking the season with John Beck.

Maybe Miami could bite as they lost out on Orton, but it's a bit to late to trade for a guy like JJ, unless he's in a familiar offense. However, that offense is San Fransisco, and I already voiced why they won't deal for him.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:38 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
The 49ers won't trade for him. They moved up for Kaepernick and then resigned Alex Smith.

However, that offense is San Fransisco, and I already voiced why they won't deal for him.
And heres the reasons they might.

1. Harbaugh
2. Alex Smith 1 year contract
3. Colin Kaepernick not ready to see the field in 2011.
4. Only other QBs on roster are Jermiah Masoli and McCleod Bethel-Thompson

It's pretty obvious the 49ers would like an experienced backup should Alex Smith go down. Who better than Josh Johnson? Especially in a situation where Johnson feels he might have an opportunity to win the starting position in the next 12 months.