Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 04-21-2012, 11:25 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BTW, what happened to ROB? Is he using a new name, or what?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:26 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree on DeCastro, but i've accepted with the two guard signings and Jerry running the show that our chances of picking him are now around 2%. It's a shame because adding a guy like that to the only weakness on our offense would do wonders for the team, but it isn't happening.

With pretty much no hope for DeCastro, I think I just want Barron. He's going to be a good safety for a decade, he'll be the quarterback of the secondary from day one, and he'll bring swag and a culture of winning to the team right away. Hope Woicik can maximize his athleticism and it should be a good pick.

If Barron maximizes his skills he has Polamalu potential, and if he doesn't he is still going to be a damn good safety. With no pass rushers worth #14, i'll gladly take a safety with those credentials.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:32 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So I guess the Brodney Pool singing was useless in your opinion? I think I am the only person that likes him.

I am gonna watch some more video on Barron and try to like him. Barron seems to be the guy.

My question is why get Pool at all if you want Barron? Wouldn't that make Pool obsolete?

If Pool was never brought in, I would be a little better with drafting Barron. But we did bring in Pool. This seems silly to me.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:57 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
So I guess the Brodney Pool singing was useless in your opinion? I think I am the only person that likes him.

I am gonna watch some more video on Barron and try to like him. Barron seems to be the guy.

My question is why get Pool at all if you want Barron? Wouldn't that make Pool obsolete?

If Pool was never brought in, I would be a little better with drafting Barron. But we did bring in Pool. This seems silly to me.
Pool isnt an issue, he signed a one year deal for 1.2 mil. He can certainly play special teams and provide depth at both safety positions for that price. The problem I have is Sensy playing FS, while I think he is servicable at the moment, he turns 29 in June and has a skill set that is better suited at SS. Hopefully if Barron is the target the team has a contingency plan to replace Sensy in a year or two with a legit centerfielder.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:11 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
Pool isnt an issue, he signed a one year deal for 1.2 mil. He can certainly play special teams and provide depth at both safety positions for that price. The problem I have is Sensy playing FS, while I think he is servicable at the moment, he turns 29 in June and has a skill set that is better suited at SS. Hopefully if Barron is the target the team has a contingency plan to replace Sensy in a year or two with a legit centerfielder.
Pool fits like a glove as a centerfielding FS. I've said it before, but a Barron-Sensabaugh combo is a step back in coverage from a Pool-Sensy or Pool-Barron combo. If the offense is throwing the ball, I want Pool at FS... no question about it.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:20 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
Pool fits like a glove as a centerfielding FS. I've said it before, but a Barron-Sensabaugh combo is a step back in coverage from a Pool-Sensy or Pool-Barron combo. If the offense is throwing the ball, I want Pool at FS... no question about it.
If the team is high on Barron, he will be starting at SS day one and Sensy will be manning FS. It's inevitable, JG will talk about the whole competition at every position, but you simply cant put 6 yrs 25 mil on the pine.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:29 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If the team is high on Barron, he will be starting at SS day one and Sensy will be manning FS. It's inevitable, JG will talk about the whole competition at every position, but you simply cant put 6 yrs 25 mil on the pine.
I know that's what will happen, but it doesn't mean that's what should happen.

That's why I don't think Barron is the greatest fit for us with our current situation at safety.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:39 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
I know that's what will happen, but it doesn't mean that's what should happen.

That's why I don't think Barron is the greatest fit for us with our current situation at safety.
No not at all, but if the team thinks he is the best player on the board and could potentially be elite we may have to deal with it for the forseeable future.

It might be nice to shop Sensy and see what his value is draft day, but I doubt the team would want to go into the new season with two safties and a corner new to the system.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:59 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post

Like already stated, Pool is on a 1.25 million dollar deal none of which is guaranteed. Do I like him more than Elam? Sure, he is a much better athlete and playmaker. Elam was allergic to the football. But Pool is a journeyman safety who is turing 29. That's not the future.

All of that said, if Barron is the best guy on our board and we pass him up because we have Brodney Pool on the roster, this management is still terrible. That is not how the good teams operate. Would the Patriots pass on Barron because of Brodney Pool? Hell no.

I can't wait for thursday!!! I'm actually more interested in rounds 2-5 than the 1st round. Who we get in those mid rounds is going to have a serious impact on our team. This draft needs to be a hit after the 2009 debacle in which we are still recovering from.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:27 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

PER DMN

SportsDay columnist Rick Gosselin spoke with Norm Hitzges on KTCK-AM last week. Here are some highlights:
On whether the Cowboys should trade down:
I made some calls over the weekend just to get a feel for the first round, and I think there are about six blue-chippers and about 22 first-round picks. Now, if you’re going to trade from 14 down to 25, no. If you’re going to trade down a couple spots, you could still get in that range. The problem with this draft is there’s not a whole lot of difference between the 25 player, the 35 and the 40. There’s such a wide range of second-tier players after that first round ability guys. You may get the same guy at 28 that you’d get at 38. So I don’t think there’s going to be a whole lot of trading up or down once you get past about 20.
I think need is going to come into play. I thought this would be a better pass rush group, but all these pass rushers are dinged. They have flaws. There’s no slam dunk, there’s no Aldon Smith or Brian Orakpo or people that you know are going to come in and give you double digits in sacks.

On Memphis DT Dontari Poe:
Underachiever. Second team All-Conference USA.

On North Carolina DE Quinton Coples:
Motor doesn’t always run. Julius Peppers ability, but you don’t always see it.

On LSU DT Michael Brockers:
5.0 40 (yard dash). He’s strictly a run player. A dominating run player, but he’s strictly a run player. You’re not going to get a pass rush.

On Mississippi State DT Fletcher Cox:
He’ll probably be the first one to go. I don’t think the Cowboys will see him. I think he’ll be gone by 10 or 11. He’s probably the best package right now.

On Stanford OG David DeCastro:
I think he’s there (at No. 14). I think he’s a consideration

So if your the Cowboys and feel the same way, would you trade up for Cox?

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:30 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
PER DMN

SportsDay columnist Rick Gosselin spoke with Norm Hitzges on KTCK-AM last week. Here are some highlights:
I made some calls over the weekend just to get a feel for the first round, and I think there are about six blue-chippers and about 22 first-round picks. Now, if you’re going to trade from 14 down to 25, no. If you’re going to trade down a couple spots, you could still get in that range. The problem with this draft is there’s not a whole lot of difference between the 25 player, the 35 and the 40. There’s such a wide range of second-tier players after that first round ability guys. You may get the same guy at 28 that you’d get at 38. So I don’t think there’s going to be a whole lot of trading up or down once you get past about 20.
I think need is going to come into play. I thought this would be a better pass rush group, but all these pass rushers are dinged. They have flaws. There’s no slam dunk, there’s no Aldon Smith or Brian Orakpo or people that you know are going to come in and give you double digits in sacks.

Motor doesn’t always run. Julius Peppers ability, but you don’t always see it.

5.0 40 (yard dash). He’s strictly a run player. A dominating run player, but he’s strictly a run player. You’re not going to get a pass rush.

He’ll probably be the first one to go. I don’t think the Cowboys will see him. I think he’ll be gone by 10 or 11. He’s probably the best package right now.

I think he’s there (at No. 14). I think he’s a consideration

No, this team needs improved depth in the worst way. We can't go trade away our mid round picks. We need those bodies and hope they turn into something. If we pick DeCastro I will do backflips.

As for Brockers..... thank you! We don't need to spend another top 20 pick on Marcus Spears.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:34 AM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
PER DMN

I made some calls over the weekend just to get a feel for the first round, and I think there are about six blue-chippers and about 22 first-round picks. Now, if youíre going to trade from 14 down to 25, no. If youíre going to trade down a couple spots, you could still get in that range. The problem with this draft is thereís not a whole lot of difference between the 25 player, the 35 and the 40. Thereís such a wide range of second-tier players after that first round ability guys. You may get the same guy at 28 that youíd get at 38. So I donít think thereís going to be a whole lot of trading up or down once you get past about 20.
I think need is going to come into play. I thought this would be a better pass rush group, but all these pass rushers are dinged. They have flaws. Thereís no slam dunk, thereís no Aldon Smith or Brian Orakpo or people that you know are going to come in and give you double digits in sacks.

Motor doesnít always run. Julius Peppers ability, but you donít always see it.

5.0 40 (yard dash). Heís strictly a run player. A dominating run player, but heís strictly a run player. Youíre not going to get a pass rush.

Heíll probably be the first one to go. I donít think the Cowboys will see him. I think heíll be gone by 10 or 11. Heís probably the best package right now.

I think heís there (at No. 14). I think heís a consideration

agree with most of what they're saying. i wouldnt trade down b/c the players in the 20's are about the same thru 40. but i do disagree about brockers though he won't get alot of sacks, he can collapse the pocket from inside. quinton coples similar to julius peppers is ridiculous idk what they're lookin at
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:35 AM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
No, this team needs improved depth in the worst way. We can't go trade away our mid round picks. We need those bodies and hope they turn into something. If we pick DeCastro I will do backflips.

As for Brockers..... thank you! We don't need to spend another top 20 pick on Marcus Spears.
but you want to draft a nose tackle that can't get off blocks
Old 04-22-2012, 11:42 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post
agree with most of what they're saying. i wouldnt trade down b/c the players in the 20's are about the same thru 40. but i do disagree about brockers though he won't get alot of sacks, he can collapse the pocket from inside. quinton coples similar to julius peppers is ridiculous idk what they're lookin at
How so? His production was great even if he didnt always go full speed.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 04-22-2012, 11:59 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

I think what I would do is take DeCastro and go the rest of the draft with defense. I know we need defense, but DeCastro is too good to pass up. Our offense would be set for the next 5+ years. Bernadeau was Carolina's back up center last year so he should be good enough, and he has to be better than Costa by default. He also went to Bentley for academics before football, so I'm sure he is smart enough for the line calls. My only hope is that Jerry remembers how dominant the 90's offensive line was and how important that was to the super bowl runs, and Garrett wanting DeCastro because he is an offensive coach. Still a long shot, but until the pick has come and gone I will hold out hope.

Have to trust the scouting department to find defensive players from round 2 on. If we can land Irvin at 45, Wolfe at 81, and the best two secondary players available with our 4th rounders alongside DeCastro I would say that is a pretty dam successful draft. If you get nervous about Wolfe trade up 10 spots or so using a 5th or 6th rounder.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:11 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
How so? His production was great even if he didnt always go full speed.
coples doesnt have the ability to rush off the edge as well as peppers. they're about the same height and weight, and thats where the similarities end. the wierd thing about coples he played better at dt as junior than he did at end as a senior. coples has talent he is not an elite edge rusher plain and simple
Old 04-22-2012, 12:15 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
I think what I would do is take DeCastro and go the rest of the draft with defense. I know we need defense, but DeCastro is too good to pass up. Our offense would be set for the next 5+ years. Bernadeau was Carolina's back up center last year so he should be good enough, and he has to be better than Costa by default. He also went to Bentley for academics before football, so I'm sure he is smart enough for the line calls. My only hope is that Jerry remembers how dominant the 90's offensive line was and how important that was to the super bowl runs, and Garrett wanting DeCastro because he is an offensive coach. Still a long shot, but until the pick has come and gone I will hold out hope.

Have to trust the scouting department to find defensive players from round 2 on. If we can land Irvin at 45, Wolfe at 81, and the best two secondary players available with our 4th rounders alongside DeCastro I would say that is a pretty dam successful draft. If you get nervous about Wolfe trade up 10 spots or so using a 5th or 6th rounder.
irvin at 45 you must be crazy, what position do you put him. too small to to hold up against the run. he essentially one down player. a smart team would run no huddle to keep him off the field, and if you put him on 1st and 2nd they'll just run at him. 45 is too high
Old 04-22-2012, 12:21 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Right. Trading up for Cox would be ridiculous.

But wrong on Brockers. If Brockers is not getting double teamed like he was at LSU, then I guarantee he's collapsing that pocket. If he is getting doubled... then beautiful, he's helping to free up someone else to generate pass rush. Exactly what we need.

Last edited by D-Unit : 04-22-2012 at 12:25 PM.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:59 PM    (permalink
jojo
Rookie

jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Right. Trading up for Cox would be ridiculous.

But wrong on Brockers. If Brockers is not getting double teamed like he was at LSU, then I guarantee he's collapsing that pocket. If he is getting doubled... then beautiful, he's helping to free up someone else to generate pass rush. Exactly what we need.
Maybe this is conjecture for the helluvit, I think the focus is on Barron & he's at the top of the board at his time. It goes against trends to take a safety in the 1st rd. but I think drafting & the NFL in general has changed in just the past 2-3 yrs. so maybe they wiill have Team Needs perspective this time around.

Agree about not trading up for Cox, don't do it for DeCastro either. There is impact rookie talent that fills a need at 14, Cowboys s/b holding their water.

Brockers is talented, but it's raw, the only knock on his technique seems lacking the anchor to hold up vs. dbl-teams, & that's straight out of the Lindy's analysis that ranks him #2 among DTs. He has played the zero tech on the nose & DE 5 tech at LSU so he's versatile & he has the strength to play the most demanding physically position in FB at DT. SO where is the greater or more precise d-line need here? a pure NT like Poe, or a DL rotation player like Brockers? I'm asking b/c I actually don't know, pardon my ignorance but btw did the team get rid of Spears yet? I was anxious to see him go.

Fletcher Cox is rising very fast at just the right time -- during draft wk, so Dallas has no shot without trading up there. Need the 3 tech? Miss on Cox, take Brockers instead. Miss on Poe for the pure NT? Maybe take Fagupo (BYU) or Chapman (Alabama) in later rds.

Last edited by jojo : 04-22-2012 at 01:02 PM.
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:59 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:

How many of those guys were 1st round picks?

Old 04-22-2012, 01:10 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Gosselin's comments beg the question would you rather have one solid first round pick and a player just outside of the top 40 or trade down and get multiple picks to supplement the one player you would get in the first round. I personally see a lot of value from 25-45, players like Reyes, Worthy, Konz Fleener, Ta'Amu, Zeitler, Jenkins, Andre Branch, Shea McClellin, Vinny Curry, Devon Still and Doug Martin are all players that could help our team and would be available.

Last edited by Witten4HOF : 04-22-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:32 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
Gosselin's comments beg the question would you rather have one solid first round pick and a player just outside of the top 40 or trade down and get multiple picks to supplement the one player you would get in the first round. I personally see a lot of value from 25-45, players like Reyes, Worthy, Konz Fleener, Ta'Amu, Zeitler, Jenkins, Andre Branch, Shea McClellin, Vinny Curry, Devon Still and Doug Martin are all players that could help our team and would be available.
i'd take brockers or cox over any of those guys
Old 04-22-2012, 01:38 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post
i'd take brockers or cox over any of those guys
Gosselin said in his opinion that Cox would be gone.... and the question is would you take Brockers over 2 of the guys.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:17 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
Gosselin said in his opinion that Cox would be gone.... and the question is would you take Brockers over 2 of the guys.
yes id take brockers

everybody here wants to be bill belichik or scott pioli, but a point ur forgetting is ur esentially passing on a better player at 14 for two lesser players later in the first round and either a third rounder or fourth. unless a team is desperate, they're not gonna give you second rounder and if they do its still gonna be after your second rounder.

now,if ur sitting at 14 and the best player on your board are tannehill, kuechly or an OT yeah then trading down is good scenario b/c those positions are filled. but what im not for its passing on good player in brockers ( or coples, barron or decastro) who had alot upside, to take kendall reyes who i would compare to a ziggy hood, a good player but he's complementary player not a foundation player, just to get a player in the 3rd or 4th. statistics show the further down the draft the least likely you are to hit. have we forgotten 2009 draft 13 players in round 3-7, lots a value right, how many of those guys are even still in the league.

to me the cowboys are in a good spot you have good team (not a great team) at 14 they're sure to be reaches you could get a top 10 player on your board that could be impact player.

i put it this way, your picking players for a basketball team would rather have derrick rose or luol deng and carlos boozer? would u pass on a great player for two good players.

Last edited by CowboysBeastMode : 04-22-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:29 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
How many of those guys were 1st round picks?
Yeah but there was no free agency then so you could keep all of your guys. Doesn't work that way now. Sure they got lucky with some late rounders... but do you trust that to happen with this team? Bill Nagy isn't exactly Mark Stepnoski is he?