Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 04-23-2012, 12:19 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime217 View Post
I looked up Sensy's contract and it looks like its backloaded pretty heavily. here is what his contract looks like:

In every year except 2016, he has a signing bonus of 140k

2011: Base Salary= 1.8 mil Cap Hit= 1.94 mil
2012: Base Salary= 1.0 mil Cap Hit= 1.14 mil
2013: Base Salary= 3.0 mil Cap Hit= 3.14 mil
2014: Base Salary= 4.0 mil Cap Hit= 4.14 mil
2015: Base Salary= 4.0 mil Cap Hit= 4.14 mil
2016: Base Salary= 6.5 mil Cap Hit= 6.5 mil

As you can see, his pay triples from this year to next year. This year is actually the least his making on his contract. After looking at this, it makes sense to draft a safety and keep him on for atleast one more year for sure. It looks like if we were to cut him, next year would be the time to do it. And by my calculations if we cut him next year we'd have to pay out the remainder of his signing bonus, which would be 420k.

I don't see any problem with drafting two safeties in this draft after researching this. The second safety would have to be a late round pick, but I don't see anything wrong with that. We could inject youth into our secondary immediately. We could still keep Sensy and Poole to help mentor them.

All of this is based off of his contract. There's always the possibility there could be hidden guarantees within his contract that I don't see. Here's the link I used for my research:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-co...ld-sensabaugh/
It's only 1 million to 3 million though. That's not much for a starting safety. People may not want to admit it but Sensabaugh is a good player. It's who he's had next to him was the problem.

If you want to measure Sensabaugh's value just go to the Lions game this year. He help Calvin Johnson in check because of his vertical jump (46'' combine record) and when he got hurt and left the game Johnson went off.

He's not getting cut anytime soon.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:20 PM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Cowboys View Post
Oh, I agree we are more likely to go for a pass rush type of guy but I personally am hoping we go BPA which would hopefully be a Boykin/Jenkins. I don't think we are really going to find a true "Pass Rush" guy that is any better than what we have currently in round 2. Sure we could find a few guys to help out in the rotation but I'm not sure if that is what we should do in round 2 with such an early pick.
I think there are several guys in round 2 who we can get that will immediately upgrade what we have on our DL or pass rush.

I also think Boykin might be there in the early 3 and I could see us moving up a little to get him. Especially if we do decide to move a little from 14 or 45...

However, Dwight Bentley could be a nice consolation prize to Boykin in the 3rd round...
UTPATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:25 PM    (permalink
primetime217
Rookie

primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
It's only 1 million to 3 million though. That's not much for a starting safety. People may not want to admit it but Sensabaugh is a good player. It's who he's had next to him was the problem.

If you want to measure Sensabaugh's value just go to the Lions game this year. He help Calvin Johnson in check because of his vertical jump (46'' combine record) and when he got hurt and left the game Johnson went off.

He's not getting cut anytime soon.
Don't get me wrong I think he's a good player too, but if Barron comes in he'll get moved to FS pretty quick. I'm just saying if he struggles there or we find a better center fielder type, his contract is pretty team friendly if we decide to move on.
primetime217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Interesting piece i found on BTB about Barron. I really would like to see him in a Dallas uniform. I think he can step up and be a young leader on the Defense along with Lee.

"As stated above, Barron knows what he is doing. He lined up as both a free and strong safety at Alabama, alone in deep coverage and in Cover-2, in the box as a blitzer, short-zone defender, and force defender, and anywhere else a safety can find himself. Barron adjusted to sudden assignment changes because of defensive audibles and/or formation shifts; it was not unusual to see him start at deep safety, then race to the line to blitz after offensive motion. He should have no trouble mastering a complex defense"

Here's the link to it: http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/...ft-mark-barron
If the SEC had pro style passing offenses, then I'd be more invested into what Barron did. For me the bottom line with Barron, is that he'd be a pick that I'd have to learn to love. I think he'd make a fine SS, but I don't want to see him at FS.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:54 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
One team source told Sporting News that his club has a higher on-field draft grade on Georgia CB Brandon Boykin than Janoris Jenkins.
The team source explained that Boykin graded out higher regardless of off-the-field concerns. When you do factor in character concerns, we wouldn't be shocked to see Boykin picked before Jenkins, likely in Friday's second round. Boykin is squeaky-clean off the field, and a more physical corner than Jenkins. Apr 22 - 4:59 PM
Source: Sporting News
LOVE hearing that the team is that high on Boykin! YES! YES! YES!
Old 04-23-2012, 12:54 PM    (permalink
primetime217
Rookie

primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit;2962302 [B
If the SEC had pro style passing offenses, then I'd be more invested into what Barron did. For me the bottom line with Barron, is that he'd be a pick that I'd have to learn to love. I think he'd make a fine SS, but I don't want to see him at FS.
Isn't your boy Rambo from the SEC?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:58 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
So I reserve my right to change my opinion. I went over to a buddies house today, and he was going on and on about Fletcher Cox. So I went back and watch a lot more video on him. He is growing on me.

I am still not sold on him by any means, and I would rather trade down. But I could live with him at 14. I think he could be disruptive. Still not in love, but I like what I see a lot more now.

And the more I watch Michael Brockers, the more I don't like him. He might want to look at a career in mall walking. Cause when I watch his videos I see him jogging around the field a lot.

He should get together with Roy Williams (Wide Receiver) or Lamar Odom. They could really maximize his ability to cash those big pay checks from jogging around.
Which video(s) of Cox did you see and which video(s) of Brockers did you see. I'd like like to see what my eyes see.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:07 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
LOVE hearing that the team is that high on Boykin! YES! YES! YES!
Did we host Boykin for a work-out?

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:09 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've seen a few mocks lately that has the Rams taking Cox @ 6. Interesting, I'd be highly surprised to see the Rams not taking either Blackmon or Claiborne with the 6th pick. Cox is becoming a hot commodity recently.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:15 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
I've seen a few mocks lately that has the Rams taking Cox @ 6. Interesting, I'd be highly surprised to see the Rams not taking either Blackmon or Claiborne with the 6th pick. Cox is becoming a hot commodity recently.
That's what she said but in all seriousness the Rams are in a good position with their two greatest needs (WR, DT) to where they can take either Blackmon or Cox and know that they'll be able to address the other position with a quality player at the top of round two.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:18 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Isn't your boy Rambo from the SEC?
Yeah. Which makes Rambo's 8 Interceptions last year even more impressive to me. In such a run heavy conference, it's amazing to see what he did. There's no doubt in my mind that he's a much better cover safety prospect than Barron. You watch him play, you automatically know that.

My point wasn't that all SEC defensive backs are the same. Just that you need to factor in that it's a run heavy conference and you can't let the hype mean more than the truth (even in Rambo's case). Truth is Bama didn't play against any high passing offenses (outside of Arkansas). Truth is Bama had the best front 7 in college which made it easier for the secondary to do their job. Truth is Barron has weaknesses in coverage. That's why he's not an elite safety prospect.

But it'd be idiotic to assume that no SEC Safety could ever be good in the NFL, so I hope that's not what you took away from my original post.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:18 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Spencer signed his tender.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:22 PM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

Location: Springfield, OH: Most Depressing City in the Country. Look it up
Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Barron in the first, Boykin in the 2nd and Rambo in the Supplemental.... I can dream can't I?

Thanks to bonekrusher for the sig
Go Cowboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:26 PM    (permalink
primetime217
Rookie

Quote:
Yeah. Which makes Rambo's 8 Interceptions last year even more impressive to me. In such a run heavy conference, it's amazing to see what he did. There's no doubt in my mind that he's a much better cover safety prospect than Barron. You watch him play, you automatically know that.

My point wasn't that all SEC defensive backs are the same. Just that you need to factor in that it's a run heavy conference and you can't let the hype mean more than the truth (even in Rambo's case). Truth is Bama didn't play against any high passing offenses (outside of Arkansas). Truth is Bama had the best front 7 in college which made it easier for the secondary to do their job. Truth is Barron has weaknesses in coverage. That's why he's not an elite safety prospect.

But it'd be idiotic to assume that no SEC Safety could ever be good in the NFL, so I hope that's not what you took away from my original post.
yeah thats my bad. i didn't mean to call you out or anything, just interpreted your post wrong i guess.

I agree barron's strength is by no means his cover skills, but his strength is his instints and leadership. I just see him fitting in well back there at SS. i believe he can make up for his coverage skills with his instincts back there and we all know what he does in the box.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:26 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I looked up Sensy's contract and it looks like its backloaded pretty heavily. here is what his contract looks like:

In every year except 2016, he has a signing bonus of 140k

2011: Base Salary= 1.8 mil Cap Hit= 1.94 mil
2012: Base Salary= 1.0 mil Cap Hit= 1.14 mil
2013: Base Salary= 3.0 mil Cap Hit= 3.14 mil
2014: Base Salary= 4.0 mil Cap Hit= 4.14 mil
2015: Base Salary= 4.0 mil Cap Hit= 4.14 mil
2016: Base Salary= 6.5 mil Cap Hit= 6.5 mil

As you can see, his pay triples from this year to next year. This year is actually the least his making on his contract. After looking at this, it makes sense to draft a safety and keep him on for atleast one more year for sure. It looks like if we were to cut him, next year would be the time to do it. And by my calculations if we cut him next year we'd have to pay out the remainder of his signing bonus, which would be 420k.

I don't see any problem with drafting two safeties in this draft after researching this. The second safety would have to be a late round pick, but I don't see anything wrong with that. We could inject youth into our secondary immediately. We could still keep Sensy and Poole to help mentor them.

All of this is based off of his contract. There's always the possibility there could be hidden guarantees within his contract that I don't see. Here's the link I used for my research:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-co...ld-sensabaugh/
Good research! From that, I would imagine that 2012 could be Sensy's last year with us. If Barron is his replacement then I can see the pick making sense. But the better part of me thinks taking a SS that high is still ridiculous.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:28 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Barron in the first, Boykin in the 2nd and Rambo in the Supplemental.... I can dream can't I?
Gotta admit, the idea of that makes me smile.

Derek Wolfe in the 3rd...
Old 04-23-2012, 01:31 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I'm not sure about you guys but there are only a few guys that the more I hear about them the more I want them. Brockers and Poe aren't those guys for me. But the more I watch and read about Mark Barron the more I want him come Thursday evening to be wearing a Star.

Some notes that I have noticed on him. People keep saying they worry about his coverage ability when actually it appears he played a lot of Centerfield for Alabama during his time there, ya he doesn't have the most fluid hips in the world which may cause a problem.

He brings the lumber with him on hits, which is something our defense has been lacking since Roy Williams had his career go downhill. Receivers might actually be worried about going over the middle against a guy like him.

What gets me excited more than anything are a couple intagible things.
1) He was a voted, by his teammates, as a Captain of the defense (Which we have all talked about the problem of us not having a leader on the defensive side of the ball)
2) He has been noted as being one of the hardest working players at Alabama (Which shows me that the guy is going to be willing to learn and work for every rep he gets)
3) He apparently has a very high football intelligence, which as a safety is crucial as he is going to be able to figure out plays faster in order to help him get on the field. Once he is on the field he can read an offense quicker which will actually make up for his hips not being the best.

Just my two cents.
Here is hoping for a Barron and Boykin/Jenkins first 2 picks.
Barron was a captain, but Upshaw was on ESPN radio this morning... said it himself that Hightower was the leader and heart of that defense.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:31 PM    (permalink
primetime217
Rookie

Quote:
Good research! From that, I would imagine that 2012 could be Sensy's last year with us. If Barron is his replacement then I can see the pick making sense. But the better part of me thinks taking a SS that high is still ridiculous.
Thats why I'm liking the idea of getting Barron and then still trying to find another FS. I threw out the name Janzen Jackson, just because he's the centerfielder type and could be there in the later rounds where it might be worth the risk.

Like Go Cowboys mentioned, how great would it be to have Barron and then take Rambo in the supp. draft. We wouldn't have to lean on these two rookies day one, with Sensy and Poole there, but I believe Sensy could be expendable, may even get a late round pick in a trade for him next year. Just something to throw out there.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:32 PM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Gotta admit, the idea of that makes me smile.

Derek Wolfe in the 3rd...
Have to admit that if all of that happened I would likely jump around all Friday and Saturday regardless of the rest of our picks... Doubt it actually all happens that way though.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Spencer signed his tender.
Who needs to go anywhere else? This forum feeds news faster than twitter. LOL.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:33 PM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Barron was a captain, but Upshaw was on ESPN radio this morning... said it himself that Hightower was the leader and heart of that defense.
I wouldn't doubt that one bit. I imagine Hightower would be a leader but the fact that Barron was voted defensive captain over him leads me to wonder if they just both had strong personalities which may have helped lead to the spectacular defense they had.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:41 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I wouldn't doubt that one bit. I imagine Hightower would be a leader but the fact that Barron was voted defensive captain over him leads me to wonder if they just both had strong personalities which may have helped lead to the spectacular defense they had.
Oh he wasn't voted captain over him. They both were captains.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:07 PM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Oh he wasn't voted captain over him. They both were captains.
Well, color me corrected.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:27 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Well, color me corrected.
Still a good thing that Barron was captain. You gotta love his intangibles.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:44 PM    (permalink
jojo
Rookie

jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Still a good thing that Barron was captain. You gotta love his intangibles.
Coming back for his senior yr. wasnt really an option b/c he tore his pectoral in the Auburn game his junior yr. but that extra yr. in Saban's sophisticated disguised coverage schemes made a big difference in his coverage skillset.
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote