Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 04-28-2012, 02:24 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisco0710 View Post
Matt Johnson is a strong safety. Why go with a ss instead of a fs?
Your not going to get a starting safety this late in the draft, and what good FS was available? Martina and Iloka are just big names. Nothing special.

Johnson is a big, fast, smart player who is going to come in and destroy people on special teams and maybe contribute covering tight ends in nickel and dime. Go look up a picture of this kid, he is the real deal.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:36 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Hate all you want. This kid is good. The thing that this team wants is competition. That is what this does. Coale, Holmes, Harris, Radway, etc. are going to have to compete to make the team. This is how they put food on the table. It's going to be a dog fight, and I like that for this team.

Great pick. Great pick. By the way, Broaddus has done a scouting report of each pick on DC.com, and he likes every play.
He'll be on the practice squad.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:36 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7577686

FF to 1:55

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:37 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
He'll be on the practice squad.
Who Harris? Yeah, probably. He was this year.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:37 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Your not going to get a starting safety this late in the draft, and what good FS was available? Martina and Iloka are just big names. Nothing special.

Johnson is a big, fast, smart player who is going to come in and destroy people on special teams and maybe contribute covering tight ends in nickel and dime. Go look up a picture of this kid, he is the real deal.
I like how he closes in on the ball from what I could tell.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:39 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Who Harris? Yeah, probably. He was this year.
You think Coale is gonna make the 53 man roster?
Old 04-28-2012, 02:41 PM    (permalink
Bonzai
Rookie

Bonzai is a cocksman.Bonzai is a cocksman.Bonzai is a cocksman.Bonzai is a cocksman.Bonzai is a cocksman.

Coale will be our slot and get a lot of playing time. I love the pick and all the experts have great things to say about him.
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:43 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Coale. I thought he looked great at the combine, then I went and watched some VT games (where I stumbled onto David Wilson and pushed him up to my #2 RB in this draft class), and I really liked Coale.

He's going to be a solid slot WR.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:45 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
You think Coale is gonna make the 53 man roster?
Yes, and I think he has a good chance to be our starting slot. What's not to like? Productive, smart, good size for a slot, fast enough, and quick as lightning. He knows how to get open and is a smart, instinctual kid. This is a good pick D-Unit. Give it a chance. When he's picking up clutch first downs in the meadowlands come week one, we'll see what your opinion is.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:46 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually scouted Coale as a potential slot guy for the Giants in this draft. I like the pick a lot. He's not a vertical guy, but he's a good chain moving slot WR.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I like Coale. I thought he looked great at the combine, then I went and watched some VT games (where I stumbled onto David Wilson and pushed him up to my #2 RB in this draft class), and I really liked Coale.

He's going to be a solid slot WR.
You sound sure about that. The good thing is that we have a long time between now and TC to psych ourselves up. I hope you're not wrong.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:50 PM    (permalink
Bonzai
Rookie

Bonzai is a cocksman.Bonzai is a cocksman.Bonzai is a cocksman.Bonzai is a cocksman.Bonzai is a cocksman.

Our problem is working the middle of he field with the exception of witten so coale is gonna improve that area immensely. He's gonna kill it in the redzone too which is another huge area that needs work.

Last edited by Bonzai : 04-28-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:52 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Yes, and I think he has a good chance to be our starting slot. What's not to like? Productive, smart, good size for a slot, fast enough, and quick as lightning. He knows how to get open and is a smart, instinctual kid. This is a good pick D-Unit. Give it a chance. When he's picking up clutch first downs in the meadowlands come week one, we'll see what your opinion is.
I'm certainly going to give him a chance. ...but I'm not making his Appreciation thread. lol
Old 04-28-2012, 02:54 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

330 Danny Coale WR 6-0 200 Virginia Tech 5 17 (152)

Seems like we could have got him later

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 04-28-2012, 02:54 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
You sound sure about that. The good thing is that we have a long time between now and TC to psych ourselves up. I hope you're not wrong.
I was a fan. At this point in the draft you identify guys who aren't star players, but pieces to the puzzle that will make the sum greater than the parts (or raw height/weight/speed guys who can develop into studs in 3 years or be out of the league in 1).

Are there better WRs on the board with more upside? Yes. But do they give you the same qualities and fit that Coale does? I'd say no.

You have 2 outside WRs, this guy gives you a solid reliable option on the inside.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:55 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The one thing that bodes well for Coale is his special teams play... VT players always have a great pedigree of helping immediately in that phase of the game.... also something Harris couldn't capitalize on coming off of the practice squad.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:56 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
Our problem is working the middle of he field with the exception of witten so coale is gonna improve that area immensely. He's gonna kill it in the redzone too which is another huge area that needs work.
If he can do that, I will be happy.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:56 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I need specifics on your system though. Does the slot run a lot of choice routes?

When I scouted Coale, I scouted him specifically for our system. He fits our system well.

If you run a timing/rhythm offense that is more set in it's routes, then he might not be a good player for it.

If you give your inside route runners the freedom to run a lot of choice routes, then he's a good fit. So I need to understand the system in place before I can confidently say he'll pan out for you guys.

I know it's a vertical offense, but I don't know the role of the slot WR in your offense.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:01 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisco0710 View Post
Matt Johnson is a strong safety. Why go with a ss instead of a fs?
Because we touch ourselves at night. :P

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:04 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I need specifics on your system though. Does the slot run a lot of choice routes?

When I scouted Coale, I scouted him specifically for our system. He fits our system well.

If you run a timing/rhythm offense that is more set in it's routes, then he might not be a good player for it.

If you give your inside route runners the freedom to run a lot of choice routes, then he's a good fit. So I need to understand the system in place before I can confidently say he'll pan out for you guys.

I know it's a vertical offense, but I don't know the role of the slot WR in your offense.
The scheme is set up with a lot of vertical routes and double moves on the outside to force the safeties to push down field in coverage. The interior WR's and tight ends have more freedom with option routes to take advantage of single coverage across the middle of the field.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:09 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Vontaze Burfict. Anybody? Probably not for us

Old 04-28-2012, 03:12 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Vontaze Burfict. Anybody? Probably not for us
He would prob make a good special teamer.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:16 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Orson Charles would have been a better pick than Coale to fill same roll. We shoulda moved up in 4th and snagged him. Charles is explosive, works the slot, good hands. Coale is basically poor mans version with not nearly as much upside, smaller and slower. Sweet.

Not sure about Johnson or Wilbure. Guessing they both suck.

Without looking up Boise st guys # I watched a video on youtube titled "Boise st D vs Georgia O" its every snap from the bowl game. Go ahead and watch it if you don't know who he is and see who flashes to you. He ended up being 1 of the 2 guys I thought looked really good. The other was Mcclellan.
DrewyVuitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:18 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Some highly rated guys still on the board. Dennard, Brown, Minnifield, Billy Winn. Do we go with value or pick another sleeper?
Old 04-28-2012, 03:21 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

Garrett's offense is essentially a passed down version of Don Coryell's offense with his own twists. So you're right. It's vertical based. What we need from our WRs is speed, speed, speed. They need to be able to get off the ball quickly at the snap. Strong hands are a must, but we don't use "possession receivers" who are the bigger/slower types. With the ball in their hands, our guys need to be good YAC guys. All the successful WRs we've had under Garrett, have had those 3 things - speed, hands, yac. We don't ask them to run a lot of choice routes like the Run 'n shoot. We have a three-digit system of digitizing the routes. The whole passing game is just a matter of putting the numbers together.