Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-01-2012, 04:50 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
I completely agree with thule. You guys try to change positions of people way to much. Dre Kirkpatrick is a 1st round pick as a CB. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. He can play.

I remember last year D-Unit wanted patrick peterson and then move him to free safety? Were you drunk? You guys need to stop wanting to change these guys positions. Kirkpatrick is way more fluid than Antrel Rolle or Malcolm Jenkins. Who cares if he's 6'2''?

Moving Ratliff to DE is one thing, wanting to move every bigger CB to FS is another. It doesn't work that way. Name one guy who successfully made the switch besides Rod Woodson. It's not some every day thing. Kirkpatrick is a CB.
Woah before I get dragged into anything here.

I was 100% behind Patrick Peterson to safety. As you saw on sunday's he flashed something on the field...but no consistancy...with those raw measureables he could have just as well been on the field as a safety. Teams targetted him repeatively last year. Not sure he would have been less of a liability at safety...but what I am saying is that he has the talent and build to make the transition. If he was able to step in and atleast make QB's think before throwing his way I'd say CDCB14 maybe you are on to something...but the thing is that PP had a big curve. It didn't matter if it was CB or Safety he wasn't going to be an impact player on the defense until he tightened up his technique. We saw this ever at the college level when PP went up against top talent he never really shut them down. AJ Green and Julio both had decent games against him.

Want me to name someone?

How about Malcolm Jenkins one of the top safeties in the league imo he was the #1 CB most of the year.

How about Antrel Rolle also looked at as the top CB all year...made the switch to Safety and became an impact player for the cardinals.

Elite big athletes aren't necessarily locked into a position. You have to remember that there are coaches that are being paid million with no a lot of job security. They better be good coaches or they won't have a job. When you have a ball of clay like a Dre or a PP they have the talent and measurables to play more than just what they played in college. Do you ever notice when teams go 7 on 7 it's not WR vs. CB and safeties. At the combine they run the same drills.

I think you are blowing the position switch out of proportion. Hell you even hear **** every year about someone having to make the transition. Sometimes it's a guy like Thomas Davis who is an elite athlete...but his responsibilities are different in the NFL so you have to move him. DE's who've never covered a pass in their lives are being converted into rush backers and asked to stack the TE and drop into coverage.

And just to note his 4.51 time is what he ended up at officially. And be prepared to back yourself up here CBCD because Dre didn't do any of the agility drills at the combine and yet you have already declared him

Quote:
Kirkpatrick is way more fluid than Antrel Rolle or Malcolm Jenkins
Lets see how he times in the agility drills and revisit this.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty

Last edited by thule : 03-01-2012 at 04:54 PM.
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:59 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
He ran faster than anticipated and has the tape against elite WR from the SEC. I understand this is a draft board and everyone is enabled to their own opinions but outside of the cliche he's too tall to play it. I'd love to hear you back up your stance with factual evidence of why Dre won't be a corner as well as maybe a reference to a game where he got abused by a NFL Talent.

If my memory serves me right Dre has given up one TD in the past 8 years (yes that includes high school) and it was one play where he bit on the double move and gave up a long score. I'd say if you want to come in here and talk bold about a prospect you better be prepared to back it up.
Was that really bold? lol. I know someone posted something similar earlier...

Quote:
Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
He's tall for a corner, and people like that. He most likely will fall some after the combine and his pro day, which could result in a move to safety.

Starting to hear this more and more.
He's a newbie thule, go easy. haha.

Didn't surprise me that Dre didn't want to participate in the field skills at the combine. I think he was afraid of testing poorly. For me, I'm not convinced in the fluidity in his hips and his read and react quickness and reflexes. Generally speaking it's just harder for players with longer frames to do as well. I do like that he has the straight line speed and length to defend taller WRs. But for us, Mike Jenkins does a good job at that already (when healthy). Right now when I look at our division and our secondary, I think we need a corner who can stick with the likes of Victor Cruz, Desean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, and even old man Santana Moss. Scandrick tries with mixed results, but Newman is done DONE.

I don't have the "factual evidence" to back it up Dre's perceived weaknesses as a corner, but in terms of what I think the Cowboys need, I think Dre would help us more at FS (IF and that's a big IF) he is willing and able to do it (and I have doubts about that too). I just see him as a tweener, which is not good in this case. I said earlier that I don't think he plays as physical as the scouting reports say and I see him more as a wrap up tackler. Combine that with his slight frame, I don't know if he's built to be a Safety. But that said, I still like him as a FS more than CB.

For us, I'm leaning more towards passing on him. I can see him being very successful in the NFL, but probably on another team moreso than ours. People might say, "damn can't believe we passed on him" while watching from afar, but I think his fit here isn't as perfect as it might be for him on another team.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:08 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I completely agree with thule. You guys try to change positions of people way too much. Dre Kirkpatrick is a 1st round pick as a CB. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. He can play.

I remember last year D-Unit wanted patrick peterson and then move him to free safety? Were you drunk? He's a CB. The reason his is so good is because he has safety size with CB skill. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT. That's why Kirkpatrick is attractive. You can put him on bigger WR's.

You guys need to stop wanting to change these guys positions. Kirkpatrick is way more fluid than Antrel Rolle or Malcolm Jenkins. Who cares if he's 6'2''? If Janoris Jenkins was 3 inches taller would you be saying the same thing for him?

Moving Ratliff to DE is one thing, wanting to move every bigger CB to FS is another. It doesn't work that way. Name one guy who successfully made the switch besides Rod Woodson. It's not some every day thing. Kirkpatrick is a CB.
Did somebody light a firecracker in your pants?

Everyday it's the same tone. Everybody knows your scoop here already. Stop trying so hard T-NewFan, AirMax, CDCB or whoever you want to be. We can get along with all your personalities. Just be cool headed.

We don't have to agree, but you don't have to go off everytime that happens.

Now I'm going to go eat lunch and when I get back, hopefully everyone is playing nicely again. LOL.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:28 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post

Everyday it's the same tone. Everybody knows your scoop here already. Stop trying so hard T-NewFan, AirMax, CDCB or whoever you want to be. We can get along with all your personalities. Just be cool headed.

Now I'm going to go eat lunch and when I get back, hopefully everyone is playing nicely again. LOL.
Got a good laugh out of this one
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:28 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

It's just annoying when you make assumptions like Nicks isn't going to hit the market or Kirkpatrick has to be a safety because he's 6'2'' with nothing to back them up. But whatever, it's done with.

Thule, I'm not saying Kirkpatrick can't/won't be a safety one day, but as of now he is a CB. If we pick him at 14 he will come in and play CB, period. Switching him right when he gets here won't happen. As for the agility, we'll see. I'm not a guy who is huge into numbers so i don't care that much what his shuttle times are, but they do mean something I guess

Oh and Jenkins and Rolle, you are overrated them big time. Antrel Rolle was a liability in coverage in a lot of games for the giants. Broaddus did his annual scouting report of the week on ESPN Dallas, and when we were playing the giants he ripped roll apart. He isn't as good in coverage as people think. Malcolm Jenkins looked GOD AWFUL against the Lions and 49ers in the playoffs. It's not like they are all world coverage safeties because they are former CB's. Kirkpatrick is better than that.

On a different note, Mayock said at the combine that he thinks Ta'amu can be had late. He said real late. So like 5th-6th round. I would absolutely love that. He will definitely be there at 45. Doubt we pull the trigger though.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:35 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Jenkins is more of a pure corner back than Kirkpatrick. He is way more fluid with better speed. Does anyone have any comments on his tackling skills? Dre is a hitter for sure.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:44 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
I think Jenkins is more of a pure corner back than Kirkpatrick. He is way more fluid with better speed. Does anyone have any comments on his tackling skills? Dre is a hitter for sure.
Are you taking about Malcolm Jenkins of the saints, or our Mike Jenkins? We are talking about Malcolm.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:55 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
Janoris? He is the total package. He can redirect off the line or play in off man and trail. He is built and explosive look at his 10 foot broad jump. I don't think anyone has ever called him soft. He's pretty physical for his size.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-01-2012, 06:05 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

thule, you have a mock for us? What about free agency? what do you see us doing?

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:09 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
It's just annoying when you make assumptions like Nicks isn't going to hit the market or Kirkpatrick has to be a safety because he's 6'2'' with nothing to back them up. But whatever, it's done with.
If you get annoyed that easily then learn how to control your emotions. This is a sports forum full of casual fans... assumptions is all we got. You do the same thing. Did Nicks hit the open market? Cause if not, then it's still an assumption by you isn't it?

I never said he isn't... I said it's doubtful and unlikely. I'd rather wait to see it happen before I start to put more interest in it.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:34 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the team targets a FA corner I doubt the team goes corner in the first two rounds unless someone falls that they don't expect. I think we should start discussing the second teir of players that may be available round three and later.

Trumaine Johnson is a guy that was brought up on the forum before .. Similar size to speed ratio to Kirkpatrick. Dwight Bentley is a small school riser lit up the combine. Stephen Girlmore ran better then expected at the combine and brings good size. Coryell Judie is relatively new to the game but is a big time athlete who could be weened along slowly.

Any thoughts on anyone else ?
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:44 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Are you taking about Malcolm Jenkins of the saints, or our Mike Jenkins? We are talking about Malcolm.
Janoris Jenkins
Old 03-01-2012, 08:46 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
If the team targets a FA corner I doubt the team goes corner in the first two rounds unless someone falls that they don't expect. I think we should start discussing the second teir of players that may be available round three and later.

Trumaine Johnson is a guy that was brought up on the forum before .. Similar size to speed ratio to Kirkpatrick. Dwight Bentley is a small school riser lit up the combine. Stephen Girlmore ran better then expected at the combine and brings good size. Coryell Judie is relatively new to the game but is a big time athlete who could be weened along slowly.

Did you hear Deion talk about Trumaine Johnson, he basically said he's a safety and not a corner. He looked a little stiff in the drills and didn't run all that fast. However, I did really like him on tape though.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:50 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

CAMPUS CORNER — I said I was not quite sure what to expect from former Oklahoma cornerback Jamell Fleming today at the NFL Combine. Suffice it to say that I underestimated him.
I thought Fleming would excel at the ball/hip drills, but I didn’t know about the 40 and the other measureables. But …
Bench: 23 reps
40: 4:43 seconds
Wow. On both. Fleming’s strength is his, well, strength, but I didn’t realize he would be able to elevate the 225-pound bar that many times – second of all defensive backs, behind only Arizona State’s Omar Bolden‘s 24 reps.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 03-01-2012, 09:02 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Cowboys Nation has up an interesting post...

I spoke to a source today who told me the Cowboys have serious interest in two of the top defensive ends in the 2012 draft class.

Mississippi State end Fletcher Cox produced some impressive workout numbers at Indy and made himself some money. He was identified as a player the Cowboys would strongly consider at pick 14.

I was also told that some teams just outside the top 10, one being the Cowboys, were pleased by LSU defensive lineman Michael Brockers' less-than-spectacular Combine numbers. The thinking is that Dontari Poe's upward momentum could knock Brockers out of the top 10 and into their reach.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:09 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Dont know how much of this I believe but here is a supposed top 33 post combine. http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6198

The combines are done and now we moves into pro-days. NFL draft boards are taking shape. So who are to top 33 players gracing draft boards. We’ve gotten some insight from around the league and this is how it stacks up for teams.
1.Andrew Luck-QB-Stanford
2.Robert Griffin-QB-Baylor
3.Dontari Poe-NT-Memphis
4.Melvin Ingram-OLB-South Carolina
5.Trent Richardson-RB- Alabama
6. Matt Kalil-OT-USC
7-Justin Blackmon-WR-Oklahoma State
8.Morris Claiborne-CB-LSU
9.Fletcher Cox-DT-Mississippi State
10.Quinton Coples-DE-North Carolina
11.David DeCastro-OG-Stanford
12.Dre’ Kirkpatrick-CB-Alabama
13.Michael Brockers-DT-LSU
14.Jonathan Martin-OT-Stanford
15.Michael Floyd-WR- Notre Dame
16.Cordy Glenn-OL-Georgia
17.Devon Still-DT- Penn State
18. Whitney Mercilus-DE- Illinois
19.Coby Fleener-TE- Stanford
20.Nick Perry-DE- USC
21.Luke Kuechly-LB- Boston College
22.Kevin Zeitler-OG- Wisconsin
23.Ryan Tannehill-QB- Texas A&M
24.Doug Martin-RB- Boise State
25.Jerel Worthy-DT- Michigan State
26.Bobby Wagner-LB- Utah State
27.Stephon Gilmore-CB- South Carolina
28.Kendall Wright-WR- Baylor
29.Dwayne Allen-TE- Clemson
30.Donta Hightower-LB- Alabama
31.Kendall Reyes-DT- UConn
32.Stephen Hill-WR- Georgia Tech
33.Riley Reiff-OG- Iowa

- Stanford has four players in the top 32.
- Courtney Upshaw and Mark Barron are not ranked in the top 32.
- Janoris Jenkins does not make the list.
- Reiterating what we posted from Indianapolis, more and more teams starting to grade Riley Reiff as a guard.
- This is not our list, rather a list from what a number of teams board(s) look like; don’t kill the messenger!

Old 03-01-2012, 09:14 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't mind taking a late round flier on Cote Sensabaugh as a developmental guy.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:19 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Cowboys Nation has up an interesting post...

I spoke to a source today who told me the Cowboys have serious interest in two of the top defensive ends in the 2012 draft class.

Mississippi State end Fletcher Cox produced some impressive workout numbers at Indy and made himself some money. He was identified as a player the Cowboys would strongly consider at pick 14.

I was also told that some teams just outside the top 10, one being the Cowboys, were pleased by LSU defensive lineman Michael Brockers' less-than-spectacular Combine numbers. The thinking is that Dontari Poe's upward momentum could knock Brockers out of the top 10 and into their reach.
Drafting Brockers might actually make me stop believing the scout dept all together.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:39 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:

If we get a CB like Carr in free agency I think the best course of action in the draft would be to use a 3rd or 4th on a CB. Hopefully a decent one is still there. Then our CB depth chart would be as follows:

Starters: Carr and Jenkins (not gonna say #1 or #2 because I don't think it matters, plus I think Jenkins is better when healthy anyway)

#3/Slot: Scandrick

#4: 3rd/4th round rookie (Haywerd, Robinson, Judie, Bolden? etc.)

#5: Mario Butler

That is pretty solid group of corners. Still would rather have Nicks in free agency over Carr, but it is what it is.

As for Cox/Brockers, hell yes to Cox, love the kid. Hell no to Brockers. Bust written all over him.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:44 PM    (permalink
D-Ware Nightmare
Rookie

D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I completely agree with thule. You guys try to change positions of people way too much. Dre Kirkpatrick is a 1st round pick as a CB. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. He can play.

I remember last year D-Unit wanted patrick peterson and then move him to free safety? Were you drunk? He's a CB. The reason his is so good is because he has safety size with CB skill. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT. That's why Kirkpatrick is attractive. You can put him on bigger WR's.

You guys need to stop wanting to change these guys positions. Kirkpatrick is way more fluid than Antrel Rolle or Malcolm Jenkins. Who cares if he's 6'2''? If Janoris Jenkins was 3 inches taller would you be saying the same thing for him?

Ronnie Lott and Darren Woodson come to mind. Bottom line is that I never proclaimed anything as fact, simply my opinion. http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...-2011-numbers/
That link should show you how god awful PP was this year at CB. If he couldn't return kicks, they would trade him for a scrub QB!!! And to Thule, i don't have any facts to back my opinion up. My reasoning for CONTEMPLATING Dre at S, is that for what this team needs, coupled with the pass happy trending ways of the NFL, that his greatest fit/impact on this team is to shut down the middle of the field. I would compare Charles Woodson's recent years in GB to how I would use Dre. Woodson roves all over the field, and really played more of safety role the last few seasons. I live in WI and have watched a majority of the Packer games and envy how creative Capers gets with Woodson. Our division is littered with big play receivers anyways. So if I am picking a straight up CB for us i want Janoris Jenkins. Better question for both of you,can you name me any elite 6'2" CB to ever play in the NFL? No physical specimen the likes of Calvin or Moss will ever be held down an entire game with single coverage. Guys like that require two defenders to shut down, or a wicked pass rush to get to the qb before he gets rid of it. A decade long gap at a safety has me antsy i guess, but i was just trying to think outside the box. Last year I posted on our board about thoughts on Tommie Harris as a 5 tech for us. Well he went on to sign with SD and put up 3 sacks in only 5 games as a 5 tech for them. Pretty sure that pressure he brought would have helped us a bit. Just an example of a position switch that appeared to have benefited player/team. And to CDCB, cheer up buddy!! Life gets better after you meet chicks and stuff, oh and dont worry about the hair growing in weird places, its perfectly normal. Your next name change should be to Debbie Downer does Dallas! But for real not everyone agrees with everyone else, so chill out with these," I am right, you are wrong" posts!!!
D-Ware Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:59 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Ware Nightmare View Post
Ronnie Lott and Darren Woodson come to mind. Bottom line is that I never proclaimed anything as fact, simply my opinion. http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...-2011-numbers/
That link should show you how god awful PP was this year at CB. If he couldn't return kicks, they would trade him for a scrub QB!!! And to Thule, i don't have any facts to back my opinion up. My reasoning for CONTEMPLATING Dre at S, is that for what this team needs, coupled with the pass happy trending ways of the NFL, that his greatest fit/impact on this team is to shut down the middle of the field. I would compare Charles Woodson's recent years in GB to how I would use Dre. Woodson roves all over the field, and really played more of safety role the last few seasons. I live in WI and have watched a majority of the Packer games and envy how creative Capers gets with Woodson. Our division is littered with big play receivers anyways. So if I am picking a straight up CB for us i want Janoris Jenkins. Better question for both of you,can you name me any elite 6'2" CB to ever play in the NFL? No physical specimen the likes of Calvin or Moss will ever be held down an entire game with single coverage. Guys like that require two defenders to shut down, or a wicked pass rush to get to the qb before he gets rid of it. A decade long gap at a safety has me antsy i guess, but i was just trying to think outside the box. Last year I posted on our board about thoughts on Tommie Harris as a 5 tech for us. Well he went on to sign with SD and put up 3 sacks in only 5 games as a 5 tech for them. Pretty sure that pressure he brought would have helped us a bit. Just an example of a position switch that appeared to have benefited player/team. And to CDCB, cheer up buddy!! Life gets better after you meet chicks and stuff, oh and dont worry about the hair growing in weird places, its perfectly normal. Your next name change should be to Debbie Downer does Dallas! But for real not everyone agrees with everyone else, so chill out with these," I am right, you are wrong" posts!!!
Nice post. According to that report. Hell no to Tracy Porter. Gave up receptions 71% of the time he was targeted. 3rd worst in the league.

Not surprising Orlando Scandrick not too far from him giving up receptions 64% of the time. Ugly. Just ugly. He should be nothing more than a rotational corner in any secondary worth a darn. Overpaid again.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:37 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Nice post. According to that report. Hell no to Tracy Porter. Gave up receptions 71% of the time he was targeted. 3rd worst in the league.

Not surprising Orlando Scandrick not too far from him giving up receptions 64% of the time. Ugly. Just ugly. He should be nothing more than a rotational corner in any secondary worth a darn. Overpaid again.
Actually, Scandrick isn't really overpaid at all. His contract for a CB is chump change. Especially with his age and they way the salary cap is going to sky rocket in the next few years, it's actually a pretty good contract.

As for Tracy Porter, yeah he's garbage. I respect Thule as much as any poster, but he's dead wrong on that one. The dude sucks. So overrated because of his pick 6 in the superbowl. Larry Brown syndrome 2.0. He's an average player who was in the right place at the right time on the biggest stage. Like they say, it's better to be lucky than good.

Unless he's a bargain after not getting picked up, no thanks.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:15 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I want to start off my thoughts so far on the offseason with some clips that lead to these beliefs. Call it my evidence haha.

Quote:
“Rick Gosselin: I think DeCastro is the safest pick in the first round. I think this guy walks in as a starter and inside of two seasons, he's going to the Pro Bowl. His problem is he plays a non-premium position. He plays guard. The best guard in the draft generally goes somewhere in the 20s. It's a safe pick, it's a good pick, but it would be a bit of a reach for the Cowboys at 14 because historically the guards go later. Cornerback is the most pressing need, but I'm of the belief you can find a cornerback in any round. You can find a safety in any round, you can find a guard in any round, you can find a wide receiver in any round. You can't find defensive linemen after about the first two rounds. The elite guys go quick.”
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...round-pick.ece

Can’t argue with the NFL Draft God. I mean you could but when it comes to the draft his word is gold. Then Gosselin puts this nugget up.

Quote:
“Naturally, the Cowboys will be studying the two top cornerbacks in this draft -- Morris Claiborne of LSU and Dre Kirkpatrick of Alabama -- with hopes one slides to 14.
Here's a bit of draft advice for the Cowboys -- dig deeper into the cornerback board. Spend as much time analyzing Casey Hayward, Trumaine Johnson, Asa Jackson and Ryan Steed as you would a Claiborne and Kirkpatrick.
And while you're mining for gold later in the draft, take a peek at small-school prospects James Harrell and Jeremy Caldwell.
All of those cornerbacks have a trait the Cowboys need as desperately as coverage skills. All are ballhawks. They get their hands on the football, and that gets the other team's offense off the field.”
Casey Hayward Vanderbilt 3.90 4.57 6.76 119
Trumaine Johnson Montana 4.15 4.61 7.20 122
Asa Jackson Cal Poly St 4.03 4.49 6.97 118
Ryan Steed Furman 4.22 4.68 6.94 121

That then leads me to an article that brings up how combine numbers relate to % of chance the corner has to be a starter.

Quote:
“Exceed peer average in the 40-yard Dash (4.49), Three-Cone (6.98), Short Shuttle (4.21),Broad Jump (10’2"), and two other categories to secure the have chance to succeed in the NFL.
83% of CB prospects (24/29) that EPA’d in the 40 started in 2008. 76% (22/29) who EPA’d in the Three-Cone started in 2008. 72% (21/29) who EPA’d in the Short Shuttle and Broad Jump started in 2008.”
http://www.ourlads.com/pdfs/PhysAttr...NFLSuccess.pdf

Here are the observations from the combine using the epa numbers from above.

Quote:
Key observations:
-Only three prospects EPA'd every single drill: Josh Robinson, Stephon Gilmore and Coty Sensabaugh. If history is anything to go by, the probability is pretty high that each of these guys could be an NFL starter down the road. Also, I'm sure each one of these guys can calculate the effect of their Combine performance in dollars and cents once they compare their pre-Combine rankings with where they'll eventually be drafted.

-There are a couple of prospects who are tantalizingly close to getting an EPA score of four: Jamell Fleming misses it by one hundredth of a second in the 40-yard dash, Terrence Frederick missed it by two hundredths of a second and Janoris Jenkins missed it by seven hundredths of a second in the three-cone drill. These numbers are best used judiciously and not as an absolute arbiter of who's good and who isn't. A few hundredths of a second will not be a critical difference between prospects.

-Overall, the 2012 class struggled athletically, especially in the 40-yard dash. The 4.57 average of this year's class is the highest number in the last five years. Only nine players came in below 4.5 seconds this year compared to 18 last year. I even checked to see whether somebody had changed the turf in Indianapolis. They didn't.
Among the players who EPA'd only two of the four drills, you'll need to evaluate each case closely. Some, like Penn State's Chaz Powell missed EPa'ing all four drills by a ridiculous two hundredths of a second, others were further off the pace.

-This list is not kind to some of the bigger names in the draft: Morris Claiborne, Dre Kirkpatrick and Alfonzo Dennard didn't have terrible days. In fact, all were close to EPA in the drills they participated in. But they did not show the type of dominant athletic performance you would typically look for in the top-rated prospects.
Also, keep in mind that a high EPA score is not a guarantee that a prospect will become a starter. The score merely tells us that a prospect with a high EPA score has a higher probability of becoming a starter. Similarly, a prospect with a low EPA score is not an automatic bust, it's just that the probabilitythat he'll become a starter is lower.
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/...g-a-cornerback

Now I have a pretty good idea about the depth and value of this corner class...and how we are going to fix our biggest need. Keeping in mind what Gosselin said about DL going in the top 2 rounds and Jerry talking about drafting DL. Rob saying he’s only looking at CB’s to me could mean he knows he’s going to have to find guys in the later rounds so he needs to look at more than usual. Not sayign thats right..just filling in the blanks.

After that here’s my little cb draft board with round projections. Obv not everyone is on this list but these are guys I think we maybe targetting.

1 Morris Claiborne
1 Dre Kirkpatrick
2 Janoris Jenkins
2 Stephon Gilmore
2/3 Jamell Fleming
2/3 Chase Minnifield
3 Casey Hayward
3 Trumaine Johnson
3 Asa Jackson
3 Josh Robinson
3-5 Coty Sensabaugh
6-7 Terrence Frederick
7 Ryan Steed

With that in mind it’s probably time to start looking at what we want to do at 14. I don’t think we will trade up this year...the one exception may be if Claiborne drops to lets say 8. I’d happily give up my 1st and 2nd round pick to land him. I think he has Champ Bailey type potential and I think he can play as a starter from day one. So that being said I’d say our biggest weakness to find a savy starter with return ability and top tier potential. Worth it....like I said tho don’t see it happening.

I firmly believe even after that rant I gave above about CB depth and finding them in later rounds....that our top target on draft day is still Dre Kirkpatrick. The reason I say this is because I think he’ll be the highest rated guy on our board at the time we pick. The only person I think that may be available that we might have graded higher is David Decastro and although our front office says we will draft BPA....I think it’s safe to assume within reason if you have two top prospects graded similarily you’ll tend to go with the more premier position. Not every team follows this strategy but it’s been a constant with the cowboys as long as Jerry has been here so I’m going to use that logic. Lastly I’d like to say that Melvin Ingram definitely justifies a mention but I’m not buying him falling out of the top 10 or us moving up to get him. So while I think he’d be a no brainer at 14 I don’t think we’ll have that chance.

Here is our big board with obvious names removed if I assume they will be off the board.

1a David DeCastro-OG-Stanford
1b Melvin Ingram-OLB-South Carolina
1c Dre’ Kirkpatrick-CB-Alabama
2 Michael Brockers-DT-LSU/Dontari Poe-NT-Memphis
3 Quinton Coples-DE-North Carolina
4 Fletcher Cox-DT-Mississippi State
5 Luke Kuechly-LB- Boston College

I would bet a lot of money that you won’t hear us take a name at 14 that isn’t listed right above. Before I go into the second round I want to touch on something. The best thing that happened to the dallas cowboys at the combine was Luke Kuechly working out better than expected at the combine. Who picks directly after us....the eagles? They are probably the team the could use him the most in the NFL and they happen to be picking right after us. Not saying someone will actually move up to take him...just that it’s something to keep in mind on draft day....maybe options 1-4 are all gone and we want to move down 5-10 spots and pick up an extra 3rd. We are going to need all the top 100 picks we can get in this draft..if we can’t secure a top talent then falling down becomes our best option. Lets just hope someone likes Kuechly enough to want to move up to secure him. Probably won’t want to jump much so I’m looing at Jets, Cincinnati, San Diego, Chicago, Tennessee, Cincinnati*. Not sure about which of those teams is looking for a LB but those are the teams that might be willing to move up a couple of spots if they like him.

I’m going to assume for the purpose of this post that we do land one of our top 4 targets.
I’ll say we landed Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State at 14. His value seems to be about right. Using Gosselin’s logic we just got a DL player when we couldn’t later. I could go into why he’s a good pick but I’ll leave that for the scouting reports.

In the 2nd round I’m going to have to weigh a couple of things. Mainly is there a safety out there that could be an upgrade over what we have. Mark Barron is immediately a name that jumps to mind. A guy who more than likely isn’t going to be able to do any working out this offseason. His tape says he’s a first round pick. This sounds earily similar to the Sean Lee/Bruce Carter situations. First round players on tape that fall because of injury concerns. If we don’t address safety in FA I think this is a real possibility. I’m not sure if he’s going to be around at 46 so we might have to move up if that is the case but that’s something that we will only know on draft day and our FO will have to make the call on what it’s worth. Another reason why moving down in the first is to get move ammo to move around and secure our guys in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

That said I think there is a better place to look at this point in the draft. I really think we will have a shot at an interior OL that will be able to start from day one. I keep reading that we are looking more at center then guard. Maybe we’ll bring in a guy like Satele to bridge the gap with the guys we have but I still think that if we have a shot at a guy who can start day one we need to get the sure thing here rather then have another Arkin/Nagy situation where they aren’t going to be year one players (or atleast aren’t suppose to be).

There are a ton of guys I like here but one guy who really strikes a nerve when I read about him and his fit to the team. Now obviously I’d love to mock a guy like Konz to us at 46 which isn’t exactly out of the question with his bench performance at the combine. But I feel like that is just a little too optimistic. Now here’s another example of a guy we might be interested in moving up for if we really like him and feel like his value is just a little higher than where we are picking. But something to keep in mind. I also really like Kevin Zeitler from Wisconsin but I don’t anticipate him being on the board at 46 either.

But the guy who I have in mind is.....
Amini Silatolu, OG, Midwestern State

Big thick kid. Didn’t test as quick as the scouting reports suggest but that might have something to do with evaluating an big interior OL in shorts in the first place lol. I don’t want to turn this into a scouting report so here is why I think he makes sense for us.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...&player=100015

“Impression: He has some technique flaws that needs to be fixed and will need to kick inside at the next level. However, he's a wide-bodied athlete with a powerful/explosive frame, good foot quickness and can really pull from the backside. Might need some time, but is one of the top guards in the class with as much upside as any.”

As I get down to the 3rd round I’m starting to think I might want to take a look at our biggest need. Now at this point in the draft hopefully we have just brought in a safety because finding someone to come in and start in the class outside of Barron is pretty scary. So for the sake of this post I’ll just assume that’s been taken care of in free agency. But if we didn’t you’d have to think a guy like Trumaine Johnson CB, Montana might get a look. His value is hard to peg right now but Chase Minnifield CB, Virginia is a guy who has some size and nfl pedigree...might be a guy we want to try to move up and grab with our 3rd round pick. Moving up half a round might be worth it because I think Minnifield could give us more than a guys like I really like Josh Robinson so I wouldn’t complain to see us take him with our 3rd if we can get it done. But we don’t have to go corner hear either. Maybe we want to look ILB here. I’m not going to lie I haven’t spent much time on the ILB this year but there are always a few scattered around in the 3rd and 4th rounds that end up starting in the nfl.

I think we’ll take a look at a TE if we don’t bring back Bennett although I think in the end we will bring Bennett back...he’s so important to our base sets. He grades as one of the top blocking TE’s in the league and I’m not sure if there is a TE in this draft that could do half as good as he does...so maybe we just go with Phillips but even so we run 2te sets we need to get another guy in here.

Final Mock
1- Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State
2- Amini Silatolu, OG, Midwestern State
3- Chase Minnifield CB, Virginia / Josh Robinson CB, Central Florida / Asa Jackson CB, California Poly

With that said just to touch on what I think will happen in FA.
Franchise Spencer
Sign Satele at center
bring in vet CB with starting experience
resign bennett
resign elam

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-02-2012, 12:50 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Final Mock
1- Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State
2- Amini Silatolu, OG, Midwestern State
3- Chase Minnifield CB, Virginia / Josh Robinson CB, Central Florida / Asa Jackson CB, California Poly

With that said just to touch on what I think will happen in FA.
Franchise Spencer
Sign Satele at center
bring in vet CB with starting experience
resign bennett
resign elam
While I have been pretty vocal about not wanting Spencer, I would be 'just okay' with this FA scenario. My biggest problem with this is that by bringing back Bennett and Spencer, you are perpetuating the culture around here that has been so ineffective for years.

I do like your first three draft picks very much. I see some Ty Warren in Cox. I like him a lot. Silatolu is from my alma mater so I like him too. :)

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:35 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

So, anybody want to take a flyer on Parrish Cox? He was found not guilty yesterday and is looking to get back in the NFL.