Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 11-01-2011, 01:48 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Maybe Jerry will put together a package to trade up for an elite LT prospect such as Matt Kalil and move Doug Free to OG?

I still believe that something is in the works this year with Jerry. I have a strong feeling that he will be trading up in this draft in a big way for some kind of elite prospect, and possibly a QB such as Barkley or RGIII.
That's not gonna happen bro. The cost to move up that high.... well, we might as well go for Luck. If Barkley falls, I'd be all for exploring a trade up. Same for RGIII, but I'd rather have Barkley.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:24 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
I have to think that either guard or center will be addressed in FA... I assume center because it is probably the cheaper of the two routes and the team does like Costa and Kowalski long term. Although I would love to get Carl Nicks in a cowboys uni next season.

As for the RGIII pipe dream, I cant see it happening unless Jerry gets a HELLUVA deal for Romo. I cant see him investing a top 15 pick to sit for a season or two, but I could be wrong. At the very least JG could mix in some wildcat to get him on the field. Barkley isn't happening either and I'm not really a fan of it regardless. With the exception of Palmer... USC QB's look the part but never really progress past "average" at the next level.

1) Alameda Ta'amu NT, 6'2 335lbs
2) Markelle Martin FS, 6'1 195 lbs
3) Shaun Prater CB, 5'10 185 lbs
4) Amini Silatolu OG, 6'3 324 lbs
5) Joe Adams WR, 5'11 190 lbs
6) Mitchell Schwartz OT, 6'5 318 lbs
7) J.R Sweezy DE, 6'5 293 lbs
You know I wouldn't mind this draft. I know a lot of us wanted a a prototypical 2-gap NT since the Parcells days, but with the way Ratliff has produced, we've kind of let that thought fall by the wayside. I can only imagine how good our front 7 would be if we had a stud NT in the middle with Ware and Ratliff coming off the same edge. Ahh Dreams
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:37 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
You know I wouldn't mind this draft. I know a lot of us wanted a a prototypical 2-gap NT since the Parcells days, but with the way Ratliff has produced, we've kind of let that thought fall by the wayside. I can only imagine how good our front 7 would be if we had a stud NT in the middle with Ware and Ratliff coming off the same edge. Ahh Dreams
Yeah, I've felt that way too. I hope that if Dontari Poe is legit then he would be someone the Cowboys would take in round 1 too.

Last edited by D-Unit : 11-01-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:50 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The crappiest part is that i remember a lot of us shouting for Ahtyba Rubin or Red Bryant in the 08 draft and all we kept doing was trade away picks.. Both of those guys have turned into pretty good players.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:27 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Assuming we're picking around 16 or so:

1. CB Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama

I know he has some off the field stuff but if he checks out you're looking at the best cover man in this class. He's gone toe to toe with elite receivers and often times has blanketed them. I expect this to be Newman's last year with the team which will add another hole to an already thin position. Mike Jenkins and Scandrick are decent starting options but Janoris has the upside to be a stud #1 at the next level.

2. OG Kevin Zeitler, Wisconsin

Interior OLine is probably the biggest weakness on this team and Round 2 has proven to be a prime spot in landing starting-caliber talent. Konz gets most of the attention from this board but Zeitler has been equally as dominant paving the way for the Badgers' running attack. Kosier is decling at an alarming pace while Left Guard has been a revolving door that seems to have a new starter every week. Zeitler should be a mainstay from Day 1 and would be the next step in building a quality offensive line.

3. NT Sylvester Williams, North Carolina

Williams is a guy who's seen his stock rise this season after transferring from the Junior College ranks. A big body (6-3, 320) who commands double teams, Williams gives us a true NT to groom behind Ratliff. Rat has been a warrior but his lack of size sometimes hurts us against teams who want to run the ball down our throats.

4. QB Nick Foles, Arizona

This year seems like a prime opportunity to nab a QB in the middle rounds who can be developed into a potential starter down the road. Looking through the 2nd tier options Foles stands out due to his big frame(6-5, 240) and strong arm. Dallas would be a perfect scenario for him because he still needs to polish up some areas of his game including decision making, but he would be able to develop at his own pace with Romo on board for at least a few more seasons. Foles has all the physical tools to be a starter in the NFL.

5. SS Aaron Henry, Wisconsin

A converted corner who displays some natural coverage skills, Henry has developed into a vocal leader in the Badgers' secondary. Although he has the physical skillset to be a starting safety he is still learning the position and needs some time to develop. With the Safety position is a constant flux and no young talent to get excited about on the roster, Henry would be a nice pick who can contribute early on as a special teams guy while continuing to refine his game.

6. CB Asa Jackson, Cal Poly

Small school gem who possesses all the measurables to play at the next level. Corner is a position where you can never have enough guys and Jackson is someone who I think can challenge the bottom of our roster for a spot. Lots of upside and is always around the football, hopefully he doesn't share the same fate as AOA lol.

7. ILB Mychal Kendricks, Cal

Has been a leader on Cal's defense and can hopefully earn a spot with Brooking and Bradie on their last legs, I think we address ILB depth via FA but taking a shot on Kendricks here won't hurt.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:44 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
That's not gonna happen bro. The cost to move up that high.... well, we might as well go for Luck. If Barkley falls, I'd be all for exploring a trade up. Same for RGIII, but I'd rather have Barkley.
Is there any specific reason you prefer Barkley over RGIII ? IMO Griffin has the potential to be "Special" with his mobility and already has very good accuracy. That sort of combination is rare, extends plays, aids the O-line and makes your play makers even better. Look at what the presence of Vick does to boost the play of Shady, Maclin, and Jackson.

Not taking anything away from Barkley, I think he could be very solid. I just don't trust USC QB prospects. Leinart and Sanchez are average at best, even Carson Palmer never lived up to his enormous potential.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:51 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
Assuming we're picking around 16 or so:

1. CB Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama: Can't imagine Garrett signing off on this due to the RKG (right kind of guy) approach he has. If he interviews extremely well then perhaps although I won't argue the talents vs draft spot :)

2. OG Kevin Zeitler, Wisconsin: LOVE the pick.

3. NT Sylvester Williams, North Carolina: Like the player and the idea of moving Rat but I'd prefer a safety here.

4. QB Nick Foles, Arizona: Really, REALLY mixed on this one. He has the potential to be great and I think he'll be gone by this pick. Even so the gimmicky offense, horrid decision making when under pressure, ugly deep ball, and to be quite frank I question his ability to read coverages at times -_-. That being said he has all the tools and with 2-3 years of astute tutelage he SHOULD develop.

5. SS Aaron Henry, Wisconsin: Like the pick although he's a huge project at the safety position. Having him play ST while learning would be a huge help. I enjoy watching Wisconsin but I think he's waaaay too reactive but if it clicks and he gets the mental part of it he could easily be an NFL starter.

6. CB Asa Jackson, Cal Poly: <3 One of my favorite small school guys this year even though I hate short-ish corners (5'11").

7. ILB Mychal Kendricks, Cal: I think he'll be gone before this point even though he's an OLB getting kicked inside.
Good stuff though can't wait until draft season :D
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:37 PM    (permalink
antwanboldin
Rookie

antwanboldin hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If Konz isnt in this draft I would strongly consider more pass rushing like Melvin Ingram R1. Brewster and Glenn should be gettable still after that
antwanboldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:01 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Meh. Spencer isn't exactly setting the world ablaze, but if he re-signs for cheap, he'll be serviceable enough. Interior O-line and Secondary are bigger concerns for me.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:43 PM    (permalink
antwanboldin
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Meh. Spencer isn't exactly setting the world ablaze, but if he re-signs for cheap, he'll be serviceable enough. Interior O-line and Secondary are bigger concerns for me.
I thin it'll be easier to pick up a let's say Ben Grubbs in FA. Going out and signing a pass rusher is tough. Calvin pace got I think around $60m.

There's not much difference between Brewster, Glenn, or decadtro IMO.(all bets are off for Konz, the cowboys need to get him if he declares).
Old 11-08-2011, 10:04 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

I'll agree with you on the Konz point. I can't see us picking up a Center in the first, but the thought of an offseason where we could end up with Konz and Nicks/Grubbs gives me happy feelings in strange places.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:08 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antwanboldin View Post
I thin it'll be easier to pick up a let's say Ben Grubbs in FA. Going out and signing a pass rusher is tough. Calvin pace got I think around $60m.

There's not much difference between Brewster, Glenn, or decadtro IMO.(all bets are off for Konz, the cowboys need to get him if he declares).
I agree with this. I would not have an issue with DL or pass rusher.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:18 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

About every mock out there has a CB going to us in the 1st. So, any preference between Jenkins and Kirpatrick for yall?
Old 11-11-2011, 09:32 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm thinking Kirkpatrick because I'm a bit spooked by Jenkins off the field stuff. Plus, I think guy coming from Alabama/Saban are very well coached and ready for the NFL.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 11-11-2011, 05:36 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I'm thinking Kirkpatrick because I'm a bit spooked by Jenkins off the field stuff. Plus, I think guy coming from Alabama/Saban are very well coached and ready for the NFL.
Kareem Jackson?
Old 11-14-2011, 01:03 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Kareem Jackson?
There are always exceptions, but Saban's players generally are very sound.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 11-14-2011, 05:02 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
The scary thing about scouting Alabama players is that they are such a talented group, you can't tell as clearly how good they are individually.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:08 AM    (permalink
antwanboldin
Rookie

What's up with Konz's blood clots? Career threatening?
Old 11-15-2011, 05:11 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by antwanboldin View Post
What's up with Konz's blood clots? Career threatening?
Not sure. Never heard of the problem. Would probably be a good thread for discussion in the main draft forum.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:25 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Dallas Cowboys Mock Draft 3.0

Round 1 - DE/OLB Whitney Mercilus, Illinois

I've been hyping him up on other parts of the board, but not much here. It didn't hit me until today while having that "Victor Butler can't defend the run" talk started that I got to thinking about Mercilus for the Cowboys. If Spencer is let go, then finding a balanced OLB becomes a priority. Mercilus is sick. He already has 12.5 sacks on the year and 47 tackles. He doesn't have a lot of believers right now as you won't find him high on people's boards, but he is high on my board and would bring a devastating presence to Rob's defense.

Round 2 - QB Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State

I have a strong inkling that Garrett will love this fellow ginger QB. Weeden is getting mixed opinions, but nobody has him as a sure fire 1st rounder. He's got great size and can make all the throws, but there are still yet, few believers. He may be exactly what we are looking for at the value we can afford.

Round 3 - CB Johnathan Banks, Mississippi St

Like Whitney Mercilus, another guy that I am higher on than most is Mississippi State's Johnathan Banks. Banks has defended 13 passes this year, intercepted five passes and has 49 tackles, including two sacks. Plays a physical brand of Rob Ryan defense and most likely won't be available here.... but since I don't suspect the hype machine has started on him yet...he's fair game to me! :D

Round 4 - C David Molk, Michigan

Doesn't garner a ton of love because of his perceived lack of size, but Molk reminds me of Mark Stepnoski who played with a quiet intensity and dominated the pivot position along the OL. He brings a ton of experience, leadership and smarts. I'm with Bob in that I love Big Ten OL because of their heavy run brand of football combined with tough weather conditioning and colleges known for real education and not just passing out free grades to athletes...
Old 11-15-2011, 08:31 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not interested in a QB anyway, but Weeden is 28 years old.

Say he sat on the bench for two years...he's 30-31 years old in his inaugural starting season. Might as well sign an established vet instead, if that was the plan.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 11-15-2011 at 08:33 PM.
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:33 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
I'm not interested in a QB anyway, but Weeden is 28 years old.

Say he sat on the bench for two years...he's 30 years old in his inaugural starting season.
I just saw that in Scott's Hot Prospect list. I think I just made a bad suggestion here in this mock. lol.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:48 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Yeah, I like Weeden, but his age is a real minus.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 11-17-2011, 08:00 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Couple names that caught my eye today

Quote:
OG Kelechi Osemele: Iowa State (6-5, 350) Stock: Up

A big, thick kid with natural strength, athleticism and flexibility. Has improved his technique and overall range off the edge, but is still better suited to play inside or on the right side at the next level. Nevertheless, could certainly mature into one of the league’s best at either spots.
Quote:
OLB Courtney Upshaw: Alabama (6-2, 263) Stock: Same

I like him as a 34 outside backer who can play on the strong side, take on linemen at the point and also rush the passer. He’s at his best attacking downhill, using his strong hands to disengage and always is around the football. Looks like a year one starter to me at the next level with scheme versatility.
Quote:
4. OLB Bruce Irvin: West Virginia (6-3, 235) Stock: Same

A similar caliber athlete to Denver LB Von Miller off the edge. Looks like an impact caliber pass rusher as a 34-rush guy in the NFL if he can continue to keep himself clean of the field. Plays in a scheme that doesn’t allow him to play to his strengths and could end up being a real steal because of it.

3. DT Alameda Ta’amu: Washington (6-3, 335) Stock: Same

This is the kind of guy who has the ability to anchor the middle of an NFL defense in either a 3-4 or 4-3 front. Needs to do a better job finding the football, but overall he looks like a starter you can win because of in the NFL.
from NFP

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:54 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Love Kelechi Osemele. I was really impressed in the Iowa State game a few weeks back. The man specializes in bulldozing human beings.