Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-24-2007, 08:35 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.
Default Your Favorite Cornerback

Per a request from Thule, here is a thread about cornerbacks. Let's save the discussion for whether we need a cornerback for another thread.

So, assuming Leon Hall is not available, which cornerback would you prefer to draft at 22?

Personally, I like Revis and Ross about equally, with Revis getting a little edge right now.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:45 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, my favorite cornerback is Daymeion Hughes... but this discussion sounds like who the favorite CB at 22 would be.

In that case, purely for CB, I like Chris Houston.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:56 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we do go CB, I don't think you can go wrong with either Houston or Revis. I believe they both have more upside then Ross, and both had good combines. Revis is my favorite at the moment, seeing that he has the prototypical size and speed for a CB, plus he plays physical. But Houston has the resume when it comes to competition. D. Hughes wouldn't be bad either in the 2nd or 3rd. He fell alittle bit, but he was very productive this past season and you can't ignore that. McCauley could possibly be another option in the 2nd.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:01 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Ross because of his ability in the return game. He's had better success than any other CB prospect.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:12 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Ok let's approach this both ways:

1. Favorite cornerback at 22
2. Favorite cornerback anywhere in terms of value.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:34 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What about who you would predict at 22 if we went CB? lol.

There's really not a lot that separates them and I could live with any of them. They all have different strengths and weaknesses.

Wade likes to bump and run with his cornerbacks, so if you're trying to predict who will be selected, I would keep that in mind. Revis fits that mold best.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:43 PM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.

Were not drafting one at 22, so does it matter?

If anything, Jonathan Wade in the 3rd would be good.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:45 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we could find a quality CB in the 2nd or 3rd that would fill our need quite well. I'm (as many know) very high on Jonathan Wade. We could also problably get Josh Wilson in the 2nd.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:59 PM    (permalink
jetBLACK08

1Chris Houston
2Marcus McCauley
3Aaron Ross
4Eric Wright
5Josh Wilson
Old 03-24-2007, 10:04 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im not a boys fan, but Josh Wilson=Tye Hill

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:55 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like Chris Houston

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:07 AM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.

There you go staubach, Jonathan Wade baby.

Anyway, if I have to, I would take Houston. He has the most upside out of any of them, and is a fiesty little ballhawk. Revis is slow, I don't care about that 4.39, if you have ever seen him play he is SLOW AS HELL. I remember his INT return he was so slow it wasn't even funny. And ross is 25, I know we got lucky with Newman, but I don't want an old person again. Oh and if Leon Hall is there, pass. He is just average in my mind.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:26 AM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNewFan41 View Post
There you go staubach, Jonathan Wade baby.

Anyway, if I have to, I would take Houston. He has the most upside out of any of them, and is a fiesty little ballhawk. Revis is slow, I don't care about that 4.39, if you have ever seen him play he is SLOW AS HELL. I remember his INT return he was so slow it wasn't even funny. And ross is 25, I know we got lucky with Newman, but I don't want an old person again. Oh and if Leon Hall is there, pass. He is just average in my mind.

Aren't you the one that says that we're good at CB for at least 5-6 years. So by that logic a CB can be good until they are 35 or so based on Henry being 31 now and Tnew being 29. If that is the case then drafting a player like Ross would mean he coule play for 10 years.

Your inability to use logic is uncanny. I hope your parents have money, because I fear you'll be unable to actually make it in the real world relying on your own intelligence.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:52 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really haven't watched much film on these guys.

I personally would rather not take a CB in the 1st, but for the sake of the discussion, I would lean towards Houston because he has played against top notch talent on a regular basis.
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:36 AM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUALUM99 View Post
Aren't you the one that says that we're good at CB for at least 5-6 years. So by that logic a CB can be good until they are 35 or so based on Henry being 31 now and Tnew being 29. If that is the case then drafting a player like Ross would mean he coule play for 10 years.

Your inability to use logic is uncanny. I hope your parents have money, because I fear you'll be unable to actually make it in the real world relying on your own intelligence.
Actually I get straight A's in school, but thanks for trying. What I am saying is that by the time Ross fully develops he will be 28-29. I want someone to be developed when they are 24-25. Wouldn't you?
Old 03-25-2007, 11:55 AM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aaron Ross, and dont bore me with the "he's too old" speech
Old 03-25-2007, 01:01 PM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

He is old though. I would like a player that is fully developed in the NFL at like 25, not 28.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:21 PM    (permalink
jetBLACK08

What age did Newman get drafted?
Old 03-25-2007, 01:49 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNewFan41 View Post
Actually I get straight A's in school, but thanks for trying. What I am saying is that by the time Ross fully develops he will be 28-29. I want someone to be developed when they are 24-25. Wouldn't you?
First off, it's high school. High school is about as easy as it gets.

Secondly, if you somehow think that your grades in school dictate your intelligence you're in for a rude awakening when you get into the real world.

Lastly, and you should pay particular attention to this, people judge you on your ability to form thoughts and logically explain those thoughts. They don't plop down an quiz for you to do before they judge you. This all happens in basically 30 seconds or less. If you don't learn to articulate your points with better reasoning, you'll be thought of as a fool your entire life.

As for being 'fully developed'. It's well regarded that CB is one of the positions that relys on physical skills more than most other positions. Since that is the case, it's also follows that CB is one of the positions that players can come in and 'be fully developed' in year 2 or less. Your lack of information is more amazing everyday.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Old 03-25-2007, 03:10 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This CB class is really a jem...I mean it is deep..but still top heavy with talent.

If I had to make a order right now it'd be.

Hall
Revis
Ross
Houston

Later Today I'll break down all four guys from what I've seen of them.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:10 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chris Houston

I'm surprised to see everyone so high on Houston around the boards. I agree from a upside prospective he might have a notch above the other three. But he really isn't close to the same as the other three in the mental part of the game. When watching Houston play I couldn't help but notice he was constantly locking on to WR's and running with them. This isn't a huge problem...but I would have liked to see him read and react more rather then just use his raw talent to cover. If he is gonna turn and run with WR's in the NFL you are gonna see plenty of illegal contact and pass interference called.

But this isn't his only knock...he always seemed to shy away from the RB when they swept to his side. He doesn't shed blocks...which isn't a huge knock...but running around them and putting his head down when diving at a backs feet is. When beat he seems to give up...we all know he has the speed to recover...but he just doesn't seem to be consistant in the aspect...I also will knock his backpedal. Houston has great straightline speed. So great that he will use it at every chance he gets. Which means he breaks out of his backpedal to early from time to time to turn and run with the wr...rather then sitting down and his backpedal waiting for a WR to break. Some of this might have to do with his lack of anticipation...its hard to tell. But from a NFL ready standpoint I think his is 2nd tier to the other top 3 guys.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-25-2007, 03:18 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Leon Hall

He is number one on my CB list for a reason. First of all I'm not sure how many saw him at the combine...but he had the body of a NFL player...really crisp looking stature. Hall really has something the other 3 don't have. The ability to process information at the snap of his fingures. It's almost like he has Peyton Manning eyes...he is always in control on the field and always seems to know what is going on around him...great eyes. I don't by any means think he is slow...but I would be in the group that says he is more quick than fast. But his quickness is only increased when you factor in his ability to process information...it was almost like he knew what route the WR was running before they even snapped the ball. Halls intensity on the field really shows...he knows how to get his teammates involved and is a good leader on the field...something that isn't a known quality in many cb's it seems. One of my favorite things about hall is how he sits on the LOS. Hall was played a lot like newman. He wouldn't exactly line up against the best WR...he would line up on his side of the field. Almost always playing no further then 5 yards off the ball. This is great when evaluating a corner. Now that we are running Wades defense there will be a lot in common. Corners have to sit with the slower WR's and be able to redirect the less physical WR's...and Hall seems to do this to perfection...I never saw him open his hips early to try to use raw ability to cover a WR. Always poised and keeping his composure.

Hall is the most fluid corner in this draft...and has the best anticipation out of this class. You'll see some corners bog down when they open up their hips...Hall doesn't have this problem. Revis is a guy that seems to sometimes take false steps when breaking out of his backpedal...however Hall is crisp. Hall has a good vert...with long arms and soft hands. Really a top prospect imo. He is also a good punt fielder...he might not have the lateral quickness to be a to tier returner...but I would say he would be an upgrade over Crayton back deep. Another underrated part of his game is his run defense. Hall is very good at working the blocker downhill then shedding and taking the correct angle at the runner or shutting down a runners cutback lane. He has great zone recognition. Like I said...he can read a qb's eye's and disect a route as he pleases...this might be where he is at his best...although he wouldn't get to use his athletic ability as much as he should.

I don't think you can get a more NFL ready corner than Leon Hall...which is why he is #1 on my list.

OK, now i've hyped him up to be the next champ bailey...but he really isn't in that class. Like I said more quick than fast....he has the speed to stick with a wr...but wouldn't succeed over the course of a game with guys like Santana Moss or Steve Smith. I said I love how he played up close to the LOS...but he isn't exactly great at jamming the WR. He doesn't get a good punch..and although this is teachable...you would expect more out of him at this point...with as much experience as he has. Since he is great at playing the ball...and anticipating...it also turns to show his lack of straight up man to man skills. I don't buy into this being as big of a deal as some people...I mean I want my corner playing the ball/qb not the WR...but he doesn't have what it takes to match up one on one and say beat me...he relies on his anticipation to do the work for him on most occasions.

I think with Leon Hall you get what you see. A top of the line corner...that may have occasional troubles with elite WR's but will be able to hold the fort down on the other 95% of WRs. Hall is the perfect compliment to our boy Newman...and if he falls out of the top 10 a team will be getting a steal.

Designs by me
Quote:

Last edited by thule : 03-26-2007 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:18 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Chris Houston

I'm surprised to see everyone so high on Houston around the boards. I agree from a upside prospective he might have a notch above the other three. But he really isn't close to the same as the other three in the mental part of the game. When watching Houston play I couldn't help but notice he was constantly locking on to WR's and running with them. This isn't a huge problem...but I would have liked to see him read and react more rather then just use his raw talent to cover. If he is gonna turn and run with WR's in the NFL you are gonna see plenty of illegal contact and pass interference called.

But this isn't his only knock...he always seemed to shy away from the RB when they swept to his side. He doesn't shed blocks...which isn't a huge knock...but running around them and putting his head down when diving at a backs feet is. When beat he seems to give up...we all know he has the speed to recover...but he just doesn't seem to be consistant in the aspect...I also will knock his backpedal. Houston has great straightline speed. So great that he will use it at every chance he gets. Which means he breaks out of his backpedal to early from time to time to turn and run with the wr...rather then sitting down and his backpedal waiting for a WR to break. Some of this might have to do with his lack of anticipation...its hard to tell. But from a NFL ready standpoint I think his is 2nd tier to the other top 3 guys.
That's what you call a good indepth analysis. Have any for the other CB candidates we've been talkin about?
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:19 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
That's what you call a good indepth analysis. Have any for the other CB candidates we've been talkin about?
I'll do the big four...just don't have time to do big write up right now. Maybe later today or tomorrow.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-25-2007, 03:23 PM    (permalink
Phrost

Darrent Williams was my favorite no lie. I remember every time I started a franchise I would draft him and he would become the best in the league after 2 years.

Well now I would say Juran Bolden, he never ceases to amaze me every time he gets burnt.