Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Baltimore Ravens Team Forum

Baltimore Ravens Team Forum Discuss the Ravens

Old 03-24-2007, 08:55 PM    (permalink
RaVeNFaNaCtIc
Rookie

RaVeNFaNaCtIc hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default The Future at Fullback ?

Well with Ovie Mugheli gone who would you guys like to bring in as a replacement? Draft Brian Leonard, start Mike Anderson, or sign another FA.
This raven discussion needs to get more active!!!!!!!!!!!

Give Kyle Boller 1 Last Chance
#1 supporter of Demetrius Williams!
I used to be MaddenPlayer52
RaVeNFaNaCtIc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:14 PM    (permalink
Yung Flippa
Veteran

Yung Flippa hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Yung Flippa hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think that we stick with Justin Green. He has been injured but he is a really good player. He was drafted in the 4th round and the way FB's are being drafted that is kinda high. So i think that we are going to be ok with Justin Green

Baltimore: 7-4
Yung Flippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:25 PM    (permalink
dcarey20
Pro Bowler

dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.

Ravenfanatic, I think you may have forgotten about Justin Green. Right now he is the only true fullback we have on the roster, and at this point, if I have to predict who will get the most snaps at fullback, he would be my choice. Just some background on him: he'll be coming into his 3rd year, out of Montana. He was a 5th rounder in 2005, and I believe he was the consensus #1 fullback available. He's 5'11", 255 pounds, and is pretty athletic. His most memorable playing time is not very memorable. It was in 05' when Jamal Lewis was questionable, and was pulled out of the starting lineup just before game time. That day we ended up going with a platoon at running back, and Justin saw some time at fullback and tailback, and had 4 carries for 5 yards. He was supposed to come into last season as the starter for us, but he got hurt early, and after that he didn't see much PT because Mughelli came in and was outstanding. He was then placed on IR. Green has a bunch of potential and I think he could come out of no where like Ovie did. But there is uncertainty with him because of injuries, and because he has never been a full time starter.

We could go after a veteran fullback like former Bill Damion Shelton, who we have shown interest in, or Terrelle Smith, who was cut by the Browns. But it's a bit late in the FA process and I doubt we make any late splashes.

We could look to the draft. I don't really see Brian Leonard as an option. Throughout the history of this franchise, particularly in the Billick era, we have always had a bruiser as our starting fullback. Someone who wants to block, and that's all. Sam Gash, Alan Ricard, Ovie Mughelli. All 3 of them are big, strong guys that are primarily blockers. So I don't see a "tweener" like Leonard being the solution. Not to mention that Leonard has slimmed down and has made it clear that he wants to be utilized as more of a tailback in the pros. But one guy in the draft that could be a legit option for us is Le'Ron McClain out of Alabama. He's one of my favorite players in the draft, and I think he is PERFECT for us. He's a big, strong guy who just wants to block, which is what we have been used to in the past. We have shown interest in him and in my opinion he would be an ideal day 2 pick.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:43 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

what kind of FB is Justin Green his he a powerful lead blocker? Also I wouldn't have minded us using the Franchise on Ovie, he is a great lead blocker.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:10 PM    (permalink
dcarey20
Pro Bowler

dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
what kind of FB is Justin Green his he a powerful lead blocker? Also I wouldn't have minded us using the Franchise on Ovie, he is a great lead blocker.
i would say green's style of play is pretty well rounded. he's athletic, but he has the strength to be just a pure blocker. he can also be a small contributor as a pass catcher, kinda like ovie. a possible 15-20 catch guy.

i think he could be a good player for us if he can stay healthy.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:15 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

OK thanks.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:25 AM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With the offense scheduled to go to more of a one back set, I don't see us needing a fullback. Apparently the Ravens see McGahee has a one back set back and that will negate the need for finding a fullback in the mold that we are used to. As for Justin Green, I'm sure they will find use for him in the offense but lets not forget that he is a valuable contributer on special teams.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Last edited by BigDawg819 : 03-25-2007 at 02:59 AM.
BigDawg819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:39 AM    (permalink
Yung Flippa
Veteran

Yung Flippa hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Yung Flippa hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg819 View Post
Apparently the Ravens see McGahee has a one back set back and that will negate the need for finding a fullback in the mold that we are used to
Oh yea, i forgot about that. They are talking about using a 1-back, 3-reciver set. If we do use that scheme we won't need a fullback, that much

Baltimore: 7-4
Yung Flippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:45 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

I like the 3-WR set Idea.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:15 AM    (permalink
RaVeNFaNaCtIc
Rookie

RaVeNFaNaCtIc hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
I like the 3-WR set Idea.
Same Here, I think this offense will run great and hopefully we go deep more and take more. this is how it will look like-
WR1- Mark Clayton
LT- J.O. ( if he stays)
LG- Jason Brown
C - Mike Flynn - Chris Chester may step in for Flynn
RG - Chris Chester and Keydrick Vincent can step in for Chris if he plays C
RT - Adam Terry
WR3- Derrick Mason
WR2-Demetrius Williams
RB- Willis McGahee
QB- Steve McNair
TE- Todd Heap

I wouldn't mind us taking a WR day 1 too compete with Derrick Mason, some1 like Anthony Gonzalez in the 2nd round or maybe even Sidney Rice, in teh late rounds i would like some1 like Deyon Williams or Jacoby Jones.
Thoughts??

Give Kyle Boller 1 Last Chance
#1 supporter of Demetrius Williams!
I used to be MaddenPlayer52

Last edited by RaVeNFaNaCtIc : 03-25-2007 at 07:24 AM.
RaVeNFaNaCtIc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:50 AM    (permalink
dcarey20
Pro Bowler

my thoughts on WR this year are really mixed. one part of me wants us to grab a day 1 receiver because there are so many good ones in this draft that i like. maybe a guy like steve smith, craig davis, anthony gonzalez, or aundrae allison, because i like all of those guys and i think they would only upgrade our passing game.

but then i look at it, and if we use a high pick on a receiver, they will most likely come in as the #4 guy. then i say, we have 2 great looking young guys with d-will and clayton. they seem destined to be our future #1 and #2. that means that if we draft a guy in the 1st or 2nd, he may end up being nothing more than a slot receiver, and i don't think a slot receiver is worth that high of a pick.

so there's my feelings on taking receiver. when it comes down to it, my ideal situation is a day 2 guy like chansi stuckey or david ball, but i wouldn't be mad if we grabbed a guy that i like in round 2.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:10 AM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alan Ricard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:46 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I do not like the 3 WR set. We always talk about shifting towards that base formation every offseason and every time we try it, we suck. At least do 2 TE with Sypniewski if you're not gonna use a FB, that guy can open things up.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:15 PM    (permalink
mikedoobie
Pro Bowler

mikedoobie is a cocksman.mikedoobie is a cocksman.mikedoobie is a cocksman.mikedoobie is a cocksman.

well this is the system Billick implemented up in minnesota when they set offensive records so i think it may help us even though ive always been more of an i form guy, if Billick can put it together this could be an explosive new offense that id like to see

Doobie- Baltimore Ravens Loyalist
mikedoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:24 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

I agree it looks like we may have a decent passing game with our WRs
Old 03-25-2007, 04:34 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedoobie View Post
well this is the system Billick implemented up in minnesota when they set offensive records so i think it may help us even though ive always been more of an i form guy, if Billick can put it together this could be an explosive new offense that id like to see
The only flaw with this system will be the weak arm of Steve McNair because Coach Billick's awesome creates big plays downfield and McNair has too much problems with throws over 20 yards. Not to mention that this system takes 3 quality WR's and how knows how the fair-weathered fans will react to Derrick Mason after him speaking his mind after last season. Too many of them here are already advocating his release or trade so that just shows the lack of dedication or knowledge possessed here......

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!
BigDawg819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:32 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

i heard pj could play fb any truth to that?
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:46 PM    (permalink
ChefMike
Veteran

ChefMike is a cocksman.ChefMike is a cocksman.ChefMike is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedoobie View Post
and Bingo was his name---o

Billick has been the most underrated coach in the league since he came to Baltimore..everyone always beats on him about his offense and saying that he was just a product of the Talent he had in Minnesota.. well.. NO &%*$ of course he is... any great coach is that way...

ex. Mike Ditka was a TE but he is always regarded as a defensive Head Coach because of the Monsters of the Midway Defense

Most great coaches take the Talent they have and make something out of it, thats the mark of a great coach. Well when Billick got here the talent was quite depleted and we had defensive talent.. so what did the FO and Billick do ? They made the best out of what we had. Now that we are building a talented offense I would be scared to see what we can do...
ChefMike is offline   Reply With Quote