Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: How many games would the Colts win this year if Peyton Manning didn't play?
Less than 4 68 48.57%
4-5 46 32.86%
6-7 17 12.14%
8-9 5 3.57%
10+ 4 2.86%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2011, 11:34 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Like I said, stupid. This is the same type of thinking that at one time forced him to take polaroid pictures of his wardrobe because he couldn't just look at his clothes and figure out if they matched.

I understand being more comfortable with this or that medical person, but that is not a good reason to put rehab off for months, especially if it results in missed games.
I'm not assuming he put it off, just that it went potentially went slower with personnel that he wasn't used to deal with and they weren't used to dealing with him.

This is deviating from the main point we were talking about which is if the Colts were in position to draft Luck they should pass unless Peyton Manning has no chance to ever play in the NFL again. They need to build that team up and not just keep riding Manning and/or give it to another rookie quarterback and expect him to be the next Peyton Manning. Not every quarterback can carry a team by themselves for years nor should one have to.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:52 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
I'm not assuming he put it off, just that it went potentially went slower with personnel that he wasn't used to deal with and they weren't used to dealing with him.

This is deviating from the main point we were talking about which is if the Colts were in position to draft Luck they should pass unless Peyton Manning has no chance to ever play in the NFL again. They need to build that team up and not just keep riding Manning and/or give it to another rookie quarterback and expect him to be the next Peyton Manning. Not every quarterback can carry a team by themselves for years nor should one have to.
Luck would be on a rookie contract so it's unlikely his deal would destroy the teams' salary cap figures. Freeney and Manning are both coming off the books in 3-5 years so there'd be plenty of money to get other players for whoever ends up being the next QB, Luck or whoever. I don't think you pass on a franchise QB of the future when Manning's age and health are where they are.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:19 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If they are at #1, they have to take Luck. Manning is not young enough to pass on that opportunity. Could you imagine Luck getting 3 years to sit and learn behind Manning? I know Manning needs more help all around him but the opportunity to go from a franchise qb to another young franchise qb is just too much of a great opportunity. You could set your team up for the next 2-3 years, or you could set it up for the next 10 years.

If anything they trade the pick/take Luck and get a huge amount of picks/players in exchange.

I actually think that Collins so just alright enough for them to win enough games to not be #1. He is a big step up from Painter in experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:20 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So, I heard this once or twice and chalked it up to crackpotted-ness, but it's starting to slip in more and more into what I read and watch...

Neck injuries are pretty bad, and often chronic. Could this end up being a career ender for Manning?
Old 08-25-2011, 04:33 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
If they are at #1, they have to take Luck. Manning is not young enough to pass on that opportunity. Could you imagine Luck getting 3 years to sit and learn behind Manning? I know Manning needs more help all around him but the opportunity to go from a franchise qb to another young franchise qb is just too much of a great opportunity. You could set your team up for the next 2-3 years, or you could set it up for the next 10 years.

If anything they trade the pick/take Luck and get a huge amount of picks/players in exchange.

I actually think that Collins so just alright enough for them to win enough games to not be #1. He is a big step up from Painter in experience.
They need to load up on players instead of getting Luck, which wouldn't be a bad alternative. It really depends on the situation. If Manning were to miss the entire season for example, or a good amount of it and still could come back as he was before, then drafting Luck might be a really bad idea. You'd be paying someone a good amount of money to sit on the bench while the rest of the team continues to get worse. Honestly that team may be the worst in the NFL if Manning is not under center.

The only way I'd see the Colts taking Luck for sure is if Manning probably wouldn't be able to come back.

Quote:
Old 08-25-2011, 04:40 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Collins+ 2 Rutgers players on D= at least 5 wins alone. 'Specially if Collins is drunk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Luck would be on a rookie contract so it's unlikely his deal would destroy the teams' salary cap figures. Freeney and Manning are both coming off the books in 3-5 years so there'd be plenty of money to get other players for whoever ends up being the next QB, Luck or whoever. I don't think you pass on a franchise QB of the future when Manning's age and health are where they are.
I agree to a point, but at the same time the situation has to be played really carefully. Because it can come back to bite your franchise, as it did mine.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 08-25-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:43 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I agree to a point, but at the same time the situation has to be played really carefully. Because it can come back to bite your franchise.
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm....no?

Old 08-25-2011, 04:49 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm....no?

Yeah, but we got Steve Young for a king's ransom. We weren't paying a high end rookie to sit on the bench. There might be a good amount of pressure to start Andrew Luck and or trade Manning before Manning wants to go, etc. Who knows, Manning might be as humble as Joe was and ask to be traded himself.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 08-25-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:55 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah, but we got Steve Young for a king's ransom. We weren't paying a high end rookie to sit on the bench. There might be a good amount of pressure to start Andrew Luck and or trade Manning before Manning wants to go, etc. Who knows, Manning might be as humble as Joe was and ask to be traded himself.
A king's ransom? A 2nd round pick and 4th round pick is a king's ransom?

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:56 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Imagine what a 1st rounder would be...
Old 08-25-2011, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
For a Hall of Fame quarterback? Yeah.

Quote:
Old 08-25-2011, 05:06 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Imagine what a 1st rounder would be...
Emperor's ransom.

And no one ever commented....could this be a career ender for Manning?

Also, I think if he misses more than just the first week...say a couple of weeks, and the Colts season starts to tank...like 1-4 after 5 weeks or something...they might just sit him to try and get him fully healthy rather than risk further injury by playing him in a lost season.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:23 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
For a Hall of Fame quarterback? Yeah.
When you say you got steve young for a king's ransom....what you're saying is you gave up a lot to get him. Which you didn't.

Props to BK for the sig
"Impulsive thinker, compulsive drinker, addict, half animal half man"
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:46 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderz4life View Post
When you say you got steve young for a king's ransom....what you're saying is you gave up a lot to get him. Which you didn't.
Excuse me. That is actually what I meant. We didn't give up a lot for Steve Young.

Quote:
Old 08-25-2011, 06:31 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A King's ransom, ie. the amount you would have to give up to recover a King if in fact he had been kingnapped, usually meaning a lot.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:31 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Too bad the Colts couldn't sign Marc Bugler.

Quote:
Old 08-25-2011, 07:33 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

They tried to sign Hasselbeck:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ck-last-month/
Old 08-25-2011, 07:39 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
So, I heard this once or twice and chalked it up to crackpotted-ness, but it's starting to slip in more and more into what I read and watch...

Neck injuries are pretty bad, and often chronic. Could this end up being a career ender for Manning?
It's possible.
Sterling Sharpe, and Terrance Murphy are 2 former Packer WRs who's careers were ended because of the neck issues.
Everyone knows about Sterling, but Murphy was a rookie who looked like a possible Greg Jennings, or James Jones, before his neck was hurt.

Neither guy was paralyzed or crippled or anything, but the condition of the neck was very bad and it was too risky to keep playing football.

Manning already had surgery. So I worry about that.... especially since he's my fricking QB in my keeper-league!
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:18 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it's too early to start talking about this ending his career. But then I thought talk about him not starting the season was premature.

i done stole dis sig
Old 08-25-2011, 09:25 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
I think it's too early to start talking about this ending his career. But then I thought talk about him not starting the season was premature.
Neck injuries, or pretty much anything involving the spine, are serious business. Plenty of careers have been ended by it and like I said, it tends to be chronic.

Just something to think about I suppose.

What I think is a more likely possible scenario is that if he misses the first few games, and the Colts find themselves in an early hole, like 1-3, 1-4 kind of hole, they may sit Manning the whole year to make sure he's healthy rather than risk further injury bringing him back into a losing campaign. The coaches definitely wouldn't like that, but one bad season won't get the Polians run out of town.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:27 PM    (permalink
Pat Sims 90
All-Pro

Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Specking of Manning ending his career. Any chance he becomes a coach in the NFL.

RIP themaninblack
Pat Sims 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:31 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Sims 90 View Post
Specking of Manning ending his career. Any chance he becomes a coach in the NFL.
Maybe. I think he could make a lot more money with a job in the media though...more of the bigger stars tend to do that than become coaches. Most of the player-turned-coaches tend to be guys who had lesser careers it seems.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:01 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Sims 90 View Post
Manning is pretty charismatic and clearly not afraid of the camera. He would make a lot more money and work a lot less hours being a broadcaster / analyst.

Also, I feel like when most players go back to be a coach, it's because they have something to prove. Manning has already accomplished everything he needed to be in the HoF and I doubt he feels any need to prove himself further.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:03 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

IMO the real superstars don't make very good coaches. Larry Bird was the exception to that. I think he could be effective at it but I'm not sure that's really what he wants to do. Not at the NFL level anyway.

i done stole dis sig