Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 04-28-2011, 10:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default The Tyron Smith Appreciation Thread

You know... I don't think it will take a long time for him to get adjusted to the NFL. We're not just talking about a lineman with athleticism... this is ELITE athleticism! If you compare him to Russell Okung and Trent Williams of last year, he trumps both of them in raw talent. He moves so fast, so smooth and so effortlessly. His power is ever increasing and he's just 20 years old.

Now with Free and Smith, the Cowboys are back on track where it matters most!

Welcome to the Dallas Cowboys Tyron Smith!!!

Pro Day Video:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/03/30/troj...t-usc-pro-day/
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:51 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jerry's Presser:
http://www.dallascowboys.com/multime...A990B4681604F8

Mayock going nuts over Smith:
http://www.dallascowboys.com/multime...676331E5EE7847
Old 04-28-2011, 11:35 PM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not a bad pick, has the highest potential of OT, but plugs in well at RT this year. He will continue to grow into his frame and become a mauler on the right side. D said it, he's athletic and we needed that. And Free is pretty athletic himself, which gives us some flexibility.

Overall, nice pick, decent value, given his age. Can't wait to this this guy in camp!
UTPATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:11 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not a sexy pick, but I am glad we drafted him. It is as safe a pick as we could make and that is not a bad thing. We have too much money invested in skill positions to not get some blocking for them.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:15 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
Not a sexy pick, but I am glad we drafted him. It is as safe a pick as we could make and that is not a bad thing. We have too much money invested in skill positions to not get some blocking for them.
Yeah man... it's not sexy at all when you address the OL in Round 1. But dayum... if there ever was a sexy OT prospect.... this guy is it.

Since our defense has so many holes in it, we need to make sure our offense lives up to it's full potential in order to outscore everyone. lol.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:42 AM    (permalink
DallCowby1
Rookie

DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

#77 Tyron Smith starting OT for the Cowboys!!! Happy with his selection by the Cowboys.

Stomach was just churning all afternoon thinking Jerry was going to get cute. Glad he(they) turned down the Jags trade down offer.
DallCowby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:13 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't say I'm 100% pleased with the pick, but he's a Cowboys and I'll support him. I wonder if JJ just didn't have any trade offers on the table. I just can't imagine he didn't with two of the QB's taken coming after 9. Jeez

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:26 AM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm satisfied. I would have loved to get Fairley and see if he could play the 5 tech and give us some interior pass rush ability, but Tyron Smith is a good football player and now we don't have to worry about filling that OT spot for a good long time. If we could nab Ijalana in the 3rd round, that would be an absolute coupe, and we would have a line that could run speed tosses to the left or right, thus freeing up Felix to do what he does best. I'm excited and I think we won't regret this pick.....but we're going to be looking with longing eyes at the Detroit DL for the next decade.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:26 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I'm satisfied. I would have loved to get Fairley and see if he could play the 5 tech and give us some interior pass rush ability, but Tyron Smith is a good football player and now we don't have to worry about filling that OT spot for a good long time. If we could nab Ijalana in the 3rd round, that would be an absolute coupe, and we would have a line that could run speed tosses to the left or right, thus freeing up Felix to do what he does best. I'm excited and I think we won't regret this pick.....but we're going to be looking with longing eyes at the Detroit DL for the next decade.
I feel ya man. Fairley was starring us straight in the face. He had an AWESOME year of production and that Championship game was straight gangsta.... he was such a menace! Having him in front of Ware might've guaranteed 20+ sacks from Ware every year!

But we passed... and I guess I can convince myself that his character concerns were too much.

But Tyron was a favorite prospect throughout the process and looking back in past drafts, I certainly love him a lot more than others who have gone before...

Since I joined the forum in '05... I've been analyzing OTs every year... that position has been such a sore spot for us over the years and every year we bypass the position... for the fun of it, I went back to '05 and took a look at the top OTs that I used to think could help us...

It's a long list...

'10
Trent Williams
Russell Okung
Anthony Davis
Bryan Bulaga
Vlad Ducasse
Charles Brown
Bruce Campbell

'09
Jason Smith
Andre Smith
Eugene Monroe
Michael Oher
Phil Loadholt
William Beatty

'08
Jake Long
Ryan Clady
Chris Williams
Braden Albert
Jeff Otah
Sam Baker

'07
Joe Thomas
Levi Brown
Joe Staley
Tony Ugoh

'06
D'Brickshaw Ferguson
Winston Justice
Marcus McNeill

'05
Jammal Brown
Alex Barron
Michael Roos
Khalif Barnes

...Talked about all these guys on this forum...and more during those years... never to see any of it come to fruition...

Then on the other hand... I looked at all the wasted picks we used on OT, to try to fill the need. They may not have been 1st round wastes, but they certainly include some high picks... and the quantity overall... I mean... just look at how many picks we wasted on OT, that could've been used elsewhere. ...but from now on... it's not something we need to worry about for at least the next decade.. *barring bust or injury* *knock on wood*

I'm glad this phase of the draft seems to finally be over. No more needing to talk about OTs for a while. Phew. On to new positions! Hooray! :D
Old 04-30-2011, 10:08 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tyron says he expects himself to be a HOF Tackle and is dead serious when he says it:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/multime...C7CFC61D031845
Old 04-30-2011, 06:46 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Picking Smith was a logical choice. Like I've stated before, I haven't seen him play. I watched a lot of USC games, but just didn't pay attention to him for whatever reason. If he's their guy and fills a huge need then it is a smart choice. I like his athleticism from what I've seen with his Pro Day. That's the type of line that the Cowboys need with two quicker backs. I really love linemen who can move too, so I have a feeling I'm going to end up loving this guy.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:10 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Holy ****. I just watched some game vids of this guy on Youtube. I am in LOVE with this pick. This guy is a damn beast with great athleticism. I see why they fell so in love with him. I'm glad that most teams in the top ten weren't even thinking about linemen.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:10 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:14 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm curious to see how he handles top level NFL pass rushers.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:25 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
I just came....that tape shows exactly why he was a top 10 pick...

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:15 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I'm literally spewing tears of joy.

I didn't think Jerry would ever take an OT in Round 1 and if he did, it wouldn't be a guy in the mold of Tyron.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:23 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Holy **** he can move. And he's a finisher, while I saw Nate Solder get abused a bunch of times Tyron cleans up blocks. Watching this and thinking about the play Free was all the way down field for that Felix TD makes me excited.

Also I just realized, he's gonna place this entire season at 20 years old. He won't be 21 until December when the season is over. As good as he is now he's gonna be so much better for us on his 2nd contract. Glad we decided to buck the trend and go OL early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:28 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

Good thing that he's signed and ready. I have some really high hopes that he can be a great player in the future. I'm looking forward to hearing reports about his progress in camp.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:27 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Last edited by TheFinisher : 08-01-2011 at 02:29 PM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:37 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPATS View Post
Not a bad pick, has the highest potential of OT, but plugs in well at RT this year.
I'd say that was probably Nate Soldier actually (no homer... guy has a bigger frame and is quite an athlete as well - at the very least, it's very close), but Smith was a more polished product.

I was a huge fan of Smith and definitely want to see how he does this year. I personally think this was a better pick than the Dez Bryant one. (which was pretty good)
Old 08-07-2011, 04:13 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Smith has longer arms and is a better athlete. He also has better strength and natural balance. Now that we've seen him on the playing field, I think the Smith pick was a no brainer. You always worry about drafting underclassmen at that position, but seeing what I've seen now, I'm positive that if Smith had gone back to SC, he would have been a top 3 pick in next year's draft (barring injury). I couldn't be happier with the pick right now.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:16 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Holy **** he can move. And he's a finisher, while I saw Nate Solder get abused a bunch of times Tyron cleans up blocks. Watching this and thinking about the play Free was all the way down field for that Felix TD makes me excited.

Also I just realized, he's gonna place this entire season at 20 years old. He won't be 21 until December when the season is over. As good as he is now he's gonna be so much better for us on his 2nd contract. Glad we decided to buck the trend and go OL early.
So you're saying no playoffs or Superbowl for the Cowboys. Got it ;)
Old 08-07-2011, 04:33 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvv84 View Post
So you're saying no playoffs or Superbowl for the Cowboys. Got it ;)
Yea that actually does sound about right for this season honestly.

Quote:
Old 08-07-2011, 04:35 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I'd say that was probably Nate Soldier actually (no homer... guy has a bigger frame and is quite an athlete as well - at the very least, it's very close), but Smith was a more polished product.

I was a huge fan of Smith and definitely want to see how he does this year. I personally think this was a better pick than the Dez Bryant one. (which was pretty good)

No way. Solder has a ton of upside himself and rightfully so, but Tyron was the best tackle in this class for a reason. He's better right now then Solder, and has a higher ceiling to continue to get better. Solder was punished alot in College, people expect that to change. Smith dominated players and put them on their back majority of the time, he was never abused the way Solder was.

Quote:
Old 12-17-2011, 07:49 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler