Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > DraftCountdown.com Spotlight > NFL Draft Blog

NFL Draft Blog Discuss the latest entries from Scott Wright's Blog

Old 09-16-2011, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 9/16 - Luck is Special

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Last edited by Scott Wright : 09-30-2011 at 02:59 AM.
Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:04 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have a theory that the only team in the league who may be bad enough to get the first overall pick and pass on Luck is Carolina.

Everyone knew the Panthers wouldn't be great this year, even with Newton at QB. He is a project that will take time but has an unmatched skillset for the position. There is no way the Panthers could simply let him go and risk the chance of him becoming great somewhere else, similar to why they couldn't pass on him in the draft despite there being arguably better talent in positions of need. The Panthers front office decided that Newton's upside was worth the risk. It's seldom a bad choice to either go QB or BPA at #1 overall(and Luck is undoubtedly both), but if the Panthers take a QB #1 overall two years in a row it would be a mistake IMO. They placed their bet when they took Newton and now they have to let it all play out.

Any other team IMO has to take Luck. I don't care if it's Dalton, Ponder, Sanchez, Freeman, Stafford, Schaub, Henne, Cutler etc. If any of these guys end up with the first overall pick it means something has gone wrong, be it injuries, whatever. All I know is that Luck is a better prospect than all these guys and none of these guys have the potential that Newton does, or the risk it must be said.

Now Im not saying this to downgrade any of these guys. For instance, if Stafford stays healthy he can be a top 5 QB in the NFL. But if the Lions pick 1st it probably means he's been hurt again and if the choice is Luck or a clearly injury prone Stafford then it's no question.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:07 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Luck is good but I wouldn't tank my season for him. Even in the later weeks. It doesn't sit with me well when teams are deliberately 'playing their young guys.'

Last edited by Scott Wright : 09-16-2011 at 06:36 PM.
tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:37 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
I have a theory that the only team in the league who may be bad enough to get the first overall pick and pass on Luck is Carolina.

Everyone knew the Panthers wouldn't be great this year, even with Newton at QB. He is a project that will take time but has an unmatched skillset for the position. There is no way the Panthers could simply let him go and risk the chance of him becoming great somewhere else, similar to why they couldn't pass on him in the draft despite there being arguably better talent in positions of need. The Panthers front office decided that Newton's upside was worth the risk. It's seldom a bad choice to either go QB or BPA at #1 overall(and Luck is undoubtedly both), but if the Panthers take a QB #1 overall two years in a row it would be a mistake IMO. They placed their bet when they took Newton and now they have to let it all play out.

Any other team IMO has to take Luck. I don't care if it's Dalton, Ponder, Sanchez, Freeman, Stafford, Schaub, Henne, Cutler etc. If any of these guys end up with the first overall pick it means something has gone wrong, be it injuries, whatever. All I know is that Luck is a better prospect than all these guys and none of these guys have the potential that Newton does, or the risk it must be said.

Now Im not saying this to downgrade any of these guys. For instance, if Stafford stays healthy he can be a top 5 QB in the NFL. But if the Lions pick 1st it probably means he's been hurt again and if the choice is Luck or a clearly injury prone Stafford then it's no question.
I tend to agree with you...

Old 09-16-2011, 06:45 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice little edit there. Though, I was just nitpicking.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:15 PM    (permalink
NotRickJames
Veteran

NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Luck's great, but this QB class as a whole is looking filthy. I see multiple franchise guys, with the potential for more.

Thoughts on Ryan Tannehill Scott?
Old 09-16-2011, 08:37 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotRickJames View Post
Luck's great, but this QB class as a whole is looking filthy. I see multiple franchise guys, with the potential for more.

Thoughts on Ryan Tannehill Scott?
Scott and I both had some nice things to say about Tannehill on the podcast this past week.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:45 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is no team that will pass on Luck. He's too valuable just to pass on for another player. There's bound to be some team in the top 5 that will give up a significant package of players/picks if the team at #1 doesn't want to select him. Why would the team picking #1 take a different player when they might be able to move down a little and still have a chance to get the player they want? If Luck really is a phenom, some team is going to be more than willing to do what it takes to get him. It's hard to overpay for a guy who projects as a franchise QB for a decade or more. You don't just pass on that kind of value for a non-QB.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:34 PM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not sure I like him more than I did Phillip Rivers, Matthew Stafford or Carson Palmer, but he's right there with that group of QBs. I don't think I will ever like a QB prospect more than I did Rivers, but if anyone has a chance, it's Andrew Luck. He's been the most impressive NFL prospect in college football since he played as a freshman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:00 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Luck will look good in red.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:39 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Seattle is probably going to end up with the luck pick. Every other team in that division is better. They are the worst team in the NFC West. They have a pretty difficult schedule as well.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:00 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Chiefs have this to look forward to starting week 11 and ending week 15.

@New England Patriots

Pittsburgh Steelers

@Chicago Bears

@New York Jets

Green Bay Packers

And that is just five games. They still have to play SD and Oak each twice.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:08 PM    (permalink
kwanzaagecko
Rookie

kwanzaagecko hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Scott, in your article you say that Luck is the best prospect since Manning, is that QB or all around? for my money, Calvin johnson is probably on that similar level of luck.
kwanzaagecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:15 AM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwanzaagecko View Post
Scott, in your article you say that Luck is the best prospect since Manning, is that QB or all around? for my money, Calvin johnson is probably on that similar level of luck.
Good question.

I'd say Luck is the best prospect since Manning regardless of position.

That's certainly not to take anything away from a guy like Calvin Johnson, who is obviously a freak, but I think the value of the quarterback position gives Luck the edge.