Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum

Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum Discuss the Chiefs

Old 01-10-2012, 10:55 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not against Poe, but he's not going to contribute at NT for at least 8 weeks, probably a full season without being much at NT. Just like Powe. And we're still not sure what they have with Powe.

This is a team that's ready to start winning a lot of games right now. An early RT better-enables them to do so than a NT that will likely play very few snaps and might not be a need (though I think Poe would also do well as a 3-4 DE).

I like Poe. I like him a lot. But I'm talking about in terms of winning games. What helps this team do that more right now? RT, TE, RB is how I see it with an ILB somewhere in between if there's one available that would definitely be an upgrade over Belcher (not an easy task).

And this, of course, is without talking about free agency. Sure, the Chiefs could go out and sign a RT pretty easily to allow them to focus elsewhere early in the draft. And they probably should do that.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:01 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They have to bring in a TE via the draft or FA.

I have lost faith in Mo staying on the field. He couldn't stay on the field in college and that hasn't changed in the pros.

It's really a shame he has all the talent in the world.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:59 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We had three players tear their ACL. Before that, as a pro, Moeaki only missed one game and that is when Joe Mays body slammed him out of bounds.

Yeah he was banged up a bit in college, and yeah he tore his ACL this year, but I think people being a little.. weird.. about the Moeaki situation. Should we draft or sign someone in free agency at the TE spot for depth purposes? Absolutely, but I'm not ready to write Tony off yet.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:19 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not writing Tony off at all, but a plan B is needed.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:26 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They need another TE that can be productive. Can't bank on ToMo, especially not after an ACL. Not having an effective TE really hurt the offense when he went down this year. Hurt more than losing Charles.

I like Pope well enough as a 3rd TE who sees the field a good bit, but they need a Dwayne Allen or Colby Fleener type of guy to backup ToMo.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:09 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
They need another TE that can be productive. Can't bank on ToMo, especially not after an ACL. Not having an effective TE really hurt the offense when he went down this year. Hurt more than losing Charles.
This makes me start to wonder if you really have any god damn idea what you're talking about.

Losing TonyMo did not hurt more than losing Charles. It just didn't, period. I will agree that another TE is a need, but it isn't top 3. QB / RT / NT are our top 3 needs. Depth at TE is not.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:03 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

They had (and failed) to reconstruct their entire passing game when Moeaki went down. They also couldn't keep Pope in to block as much. Moeaki did things they relied on. Keeping safeties and linebackers honest, allowing for extra blocking in both the passing game and running game, and getting Bowe (and Baldwin & Breaston if he'd played with them) in 1-on-1 situations at all times.

Charles did things that I consider to be "extras". As great as Charles is and as great as some of the things he does are, you can't rely on the things Charles brings to the table. You hope the guy breaks a few runs, and chances are he will... But you can't expect those things. When you run the ball, you're hoping to get 3-5 yards.

Moeaki did more for the rest of the team. They could have functioned at a high level with Moeaki minus Charles, but would have been hosed either way with Moeaki gone. I'm not saying Moeaki is better or even more important really. It's more that it hurt more to lose him because they had no one behind him that could pick up the slack and allow the Chiefs to continue to run their offense. The RBs they have behind Charles aren't amazing (and they need an upgrade there, too), but they're effective enough to get the job done in that spot.

We saw them compensate for this when Baldwin first came on by lining him up in the wing, but they went away from that for some reason even though it was highly effective.

Last edited by nepg : 01-10-2012 at 05:09 PM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:12 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I'm not going to read that because I still think you're ******* nuts.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:20 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ideally. Reiff then Ta'Amu would make me happy in the pants if that was the first 2 picks.

From there I would like TE/RB depth. ILB/S depth.

*all assuming not getting a Qb in the first.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Last edited by bored of education : 01-10-2012 at 06:23 PM.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:13 AM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
They had (and failed) to reconstruct their entire passing game when Moeaki went down. They also couldn't keep Pope in to block as much. Moeaki did things they relied on. Keeping safeties and linebackers honest, allowing for extra blocking in both the passing game and running game, and getting Bowe (and Baldwin & Breaston if he'd played with them) in 1-on-1 situations at all times.

Charles did things that I consider to be "extras". As great as Charles is and as great as some of the things he does are, you can't rely on the things Charles brings to the table. You hope the guy breaks a few runs, and chances are he will... But you can't expect those things. When you run the ball, you're hoping to get 3-5 yards.

Moeaki did more for the rest of the team. They could have functioned at a high level with Moeaki minus Charles, but would have been hosed either way with Moeaki gone. I'm not saying Moeaki is better or even more important really. It's more that it hurt more to lose him because they had no one behind him that could pick up the slack and allow the Chiefs to continue to run their offense. The RBs they have behind Charles aren't amazing (and they need an upgrade there, too), but they're effective enough to get the job done in that spot.

We saw them compensate for this when Baldwin first came on by lining him up in the wing, but they went away from that for some reason even though it was highly effective.
I can kinda see that, but it still doesn't suggest a strong enough need to make TE depth a priority. Hell, if we're drafting just for "depth" in the first two rounds, we better be holding a lombardi trophy. Also, you could rely on charles to make five yards, he averaged that on a per carry basis. Also when they do an ACL reconstruction, they (typically) graft the tendon from the pataller ligament, and after rehab, etc. The new acl can have like 1600% more tension on it before tearing. I think the problem comes in psycholologically(which you alluded to earlier) where the player is worried about it tearing.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:14 AM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm not against Poe, but he's not going to contribute at NT for at least 8 weeks, probably a full season without being much at NT. Just like Powe. And we're still not sure what they have with Powe.

This is a team that's ready to start winning a lot of games right now. An early RT better-enables them to do so than a NT that will likely play very few snaps and might not be a need (though I think Poe would also do well as a 3-4 DE).

I like Poe. I like him a lot. But I'm talking about in terms of winning games. What helps this team do that more right now? RT, TE, RB is how I see it with an ILB somewhere in between if there's one available that would definitely be an upgrade over Belcher (not an easy task).

And this, of course, is without talking about free agency. Sure, the Chiefs could go out and sign a RT pretty easily to allow them to focus elsewhere early in the draft. And they probably should do that.
I think in terms of an elite defense, like an elite offense, you can't pass up on a potential franchise nose tackle. And I think Pioli will either plug in a second-third round tackle or grab one through free agency.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:48 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
all assuming not getting a Qb in the first.
I'm assuming that. I know people don't want to hear it, but the Chiefs played their way out of getting one of the top QB's in the draft.

If one falls to them I believe they would/should take him, but I really don't see them moving up in the top 5 to do it.

Last edited by Splat : 01-11-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:48 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Free agency is going to have a big impact on where the Chiefs will be looking with their first pick.

They could pick up a RT (Matt Light?), but they could also lose Brandon Carr or Dwayne Bowe. If they lost Carr, I think they'd have to be looking at Dre Kirkpatrick as the #1 guy on their board. If they lost Bowe, I think they'd pass on WR until the 2nd or 3rd round.

If they're able to bring in a RT and keep both Carr and Bowe, things will be very interesting on draft day.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:50 PM    (permalink
King Carls 5 Year Plan
Veteran

King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Isnt Matt Light as old as dinosaur pooh? I dont like the idea of addressing a problem with a patch. Matt Light would be a patch that would have to be fixed again in 2 or less years. I want a solution. Drafting a player or signing a young (25 or 26) are solutions.
King Carls 5 Year Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:26 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Carls 5 Year Plan View Post
Isnt Matt Light as old as dinosaur pooh? I dont like the idea of addressing a problem with a patch. Matt Light would be a patch that would have to be fixed again in 2 or less years. I want a solution. Drafting a player or signing a young (25 or 26) are solutions.
Pretty much this. And there is no rule saying we have to acquire free agents from New England either. There will be some tackles out there that are more than capable of playing the right side who aren't 60 years old.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:23 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Carls 5 Year Plan View Post
Light would just be a legit stop-gap. Nothing wrong with that if they don't want to draft a guy in the first round or rely on a rookie to be good enough to start right away. Much like the Asamoah and Hudson situations. Pioli obviously doesn't like using rookies as a Plan A if he doesn't have to.

I was just using Light as an example because he's a starting caliber T who will likely be a free agent. Has nothing to do with New England other than I just spent a lot of time looking at their 2012 roster situation and know a lot about the team. I don't know who the other free agents are this off-season, I haven't taken the time to look into it yet. Light's 34. He can start for one season with the Chiefs.

And after thinking about Light with the Chiefs a bit more, he might be the perfect guy for Cassel. Matt probably has some trust in Light, and would probably be more confident in the pocket and not worrying about someone coming through untouched from the edge on any given play.

And it does seem like they like Steve Maneri (the Pats loved him), but the guy just isn't big enough to play RT right now. So maybe a veteran for a year or less while Maneri gets bigger and stronger or it just gives a rookie who isn't as sure-fire as some of the first round prospects time to adjust.

Last edited by nepg : 01-12-2012 at 04:28 PM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:52 PM    (permalink
SoCalBam
Veteran

SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I like Pope well enough as a 3rd TE who sees the field a good bit, but they need a Dwayne Allen or Colby Fleener type of guy to backup ToMo.

I do not think TM is dependable enough to be the #1 TE due to health issues. Not just in NFL but all of the time lost in college has to be factored in. I think a #1 TE should be a FA target. Drafting a TE always seems like a crap shoot to me and there are several top tier TE's that can hit the market this year on teams that are in far worse cap position that KC.
SoCalBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:41 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Drafting TEs seems more successful than FA. Can't even think of a successful FA TE. Jeremy Shockey?

I think most of the perceived Top TEs over recent draft history have panned out fairly well. So I think Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen are pretty safe bets.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:27 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only chance Cassel/Orton are not the QB for the Chiefs next year is if we draft Luck or get Flynn. Even with RG3, Tannehill whomever, they need to sit a year. I am ok with them being the answer for 2012 as long as there is an obvious plan or direction the team is going in. Ill continue in the draft thread

I would not be shocked with a draft in which the Chiefs draft two OLinemen in the first three rounds. When it comes to Qb that is a different story.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:25 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Could happen. RT is a real need and OG/C for at least depth is a need. And the defense is so solid and so young, I wouldn't be surprised if all of their earlier picks are on the offensive side of the ball. Between OL help, TE, and RB...
Old 01-16-2012, 02:25 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Don't forget QB! Which is the #1 need for this team! And the one need you consistently fail to mention!

Oh wait, we have Ricky Stanzi.. I forgot..

Old 01-16-2012, 11:11 AM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck. I think its' saying something big if he didn't start over palko..and that's coming from a guy who loved Ricky Stanzi when we drafted him.
I don't understand how everyone thinks Oline is a big need this year. Right tackle, yes, but other than that we have a pretty solid starting line. Lilja had a down year but in general he's decent at guard. Depth is another issue entirely(just not a top tier issue). I hope we either make a big move for Luck(it'd be worth it if he is as good as advertised, whatever the price is) or go BPA(which would probably be richardson) I don't know where Tannehill is projected to go, but I imagine we could possibly grab him because he'd be gone by the time we drafted him in the second.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:53 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

It's not saying anything that he didn't start over Palko other than Haley thought a veteran QB gave them a better chance to win. And let's not completely hate on Palko or that decision here. Palko did show that he had a really good grasp on the offense and did a nice job pre-snap. The issue was that he just ended up not being talented or good enough to get it done post-snap.

And I think Haley was right to give Palko a second start... Especially since one of the last teams you want a rookie going up against in his first game would be the Pittsburgh Steelers. But the guy should not have been playing against Chicago. The Steelers game should have been the end of the line for him. Chicago was a nice opportunity to get Stanzi or Orton in there against a pretty easy win, imo. Palko made that win so much harder than it should have been.

Then once Haley was fired, Orton was more than ready, so there was no need to use Stanzi. If the last game hadn't been against the Broncos, Stanzi starts that one...pretty certain on that.

I might agree that Lilja just had a down year, but they need insurance on that theory on top of an OT and a backup C with Hudson moving to the starting position. That's 2-3 guys. That's a big deal, imo.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:55 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I don't hate Stanzi. I don't hate him at all. He's unproven and I think it's ridiculous to say that he's better than Luck, RG3 or Tannehill. Even as a prospect he wasn't as good as those guys.

I'm sick of doing things the same way with awful results. I don't care about being a playoff team. I want to be a Super Bowl team. Apparently good enough is good enough for some people. It isn't for me.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:13 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I don't hate Stanzi. I don't hate him at all. He's unproven and I think it's ridiculous to say that he's better than Luck, RG3 or Tannehill. Even as a prospect he wasn't as good as those guys.

I'm sick of doing things the same way with awful results. I don't care about being a playoff team. I want to be a Super Bowl team. Apparently good enough is good enough for some people. It isn't for me.
He's certainly better than Tannehill as a prospect. And he sure as **** is better now that he's got experience in an NFL system. No one said he's better than Luck or RG3.

They aren't doing things the same old way. They didn't draft a 6'4 190lb guy who led his college team to like 10ppg expecting him to be a future starter. They drafted a guy who checks out very well in every category to develop behind a guy who was a Top 10 QB a year ago and should be able to maintain a status of being in that Top 10 mix if the team has a solid off-season and puts together an offensive system that takes advantage of its best assets.

Stanzi has all the tools you look for in a franchise QB and he's getting to develop them.

2011 was a season in which they added a lot of talent, but very little outside of that went right for the team...and they still had a shot to win the division with two weeks to go in the season. They'll have to put this one behind them, and we really should do the same.

It sucks to not make the playoffs and have so much bad **** happen to the team after their 2010 run, but they did get better in a lot of areas, and **** looks really good for 2012.