Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 12-05-2011, 10:15 PM    (permalink
dannyz
Veteran

dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

People all over Twitter are saying he is going to Declare for the 2012 NFL Draft.
dannyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:41 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onejayhawk View Post
Granted. However stats are still useful, especially comparing two players of the same age or experience. Since Barkley is the more experienced, the comparison is particularly helpful.

BTW have you compared any tape of RG III 2010 to RG III 2011?

J
I know that RGIII struggled as a passer (esp w/accuracy on key downs) against Illinois in last year's bowl game and looked like a 2nd rounder at best at that point. Totally dominant this year, I think the emergence of Kendall Wright as an unstoppable playmaker and Griffin's perfection of his deep ball have really helped him take the next step this year. Being another year removed from a leg injury that sidelined him helps too.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:48 AM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
I know that RGIII struggled as a passer (esp w/accuracy on key downs) against Illinois in last year's bowl game and looked like a 2nd rounder at best at that point. Totally dominant this year, I think the emergence of Kendall Wright as an unstoppable playmaker and Griffin's perfection of his deep ball have really helped him take the next step this year. Being another year removed from a leg injury that sidelined him helps too.
Yeah, most quarterbacks go through horrible accuracy issues when recovering from ACL injuries. If you don't have the ability to drive off that back leg with confidence...everything else falls apart mechanically.
DraftSavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:31 PM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For what it is worth, National Football Post has RG III at #2 on their Big Board. Barkley is #18, but moving up.

That being said, this si from one of their best writers, and a former scout IIRC.

Overall, I feel that the success that Cam Newton has had this year helps Griffin. Like Griffin, Newton was an unconventional athletic quarterback in a spread offense. Though the schemes are different there is enough similarity to compare. Griffin has excellent intelligence and should have no problem learning a pro system. Griffin has played a lot more football than Newton against equal competition so I have no problem in saying that he will be a very high pick. Still, in saying that, depending on what junior quarterbacks come out, he still may be only the 3rd quarterback drafted. Without question, I would take Andrew Luck and Matt Barkley before I would take Griffin. Still he probably goes in the top 5-7 picks of the draft. The quarterbacks who go in the first round of this draft are far better players than the quarterbacks last year and could have more impact as rookies.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...s-offense.html

J
onejayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:48 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love everything about him except his thin frame. Cam and Tebow can carry the ball about 10 times a game because they have the bulk to take hits.

I think there is significant injury risk with a guy as thin as RG3. Think about Vick's career...

And I know he's a skilled passer first and foremost but there's no way an athlete like him/his OC wouldn't utilize his legs...

That's what scares me. High risk of injury at the next level...
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:54 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree being small and a running QB doesn't work in the NFL and RG3 will most likely struggle with some nagging injuries in his career. He has awesome potential though and if you can get a solid 4 prime years from him he could get you a ring. I think he is a top 8 pick in the draft depending on if Barkley comes out.

My Raiders Mock

RaiderNation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:55 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Compared to Aaron Rodgers, RGIII's weight is fine. How much do people think he weighs?? People are talking like Griffin is 200# soaking wet.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:57 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

^He looks about that thin to me... maybe I'm wrong?

It's not just the # weight, it's how his body looks to me - frail.

He looks way thinner than Rodgers... I hope I'm wrong and he never gets hurt.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:59 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

I'm not arguing against him at all. I'm just voicing my #1 concern.

If I needed a QB, I'd consider him as high as #2 overall.

I'd just get him on a weight/strength plan IMMEDIATELY.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:22 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I'm not arguing against him at all. I'm just voicing my #1 concern.

If I needed a QB, I'd consider him as high as #2 overall.

I'd just get him on a weight/strength plan IMMEDIATELY.
I agree. He does look 6' and 180, but we'll have to wait to see what he measures at the combine.

Personally, my man crush is so big on him right now that I'd do exactly what you said, draft him anyway and get him in the weight room asap.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:47 PM    (permalink
JBCX
Veteran

JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From what I've seen in games, there is simply no way he's over 200 lbs. I doubt he's taller than 6'1" at most, as well.

I guess we'll see at the Combine and/or the Senior Bowl.
JBCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:47 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He looks long that is probably why it looks like he weighs under 200.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:02 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There's fudging heights and weights...and then there's being 2 inches shorter and 40 pounds lighter than listed. The former happens from time to time. The latter would be absolutely historic. The only time I can ever remember such a huge discrepancy was with some of the FSU guys.

At bare minimum, Griffin is 6'1 210. Fully expect him to be around 6'2 and 215-220. He was listed at 6'3 in high school and Baylor has historically only been off a half inch or so(if that) with the few guys they send to the NFL.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:06 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I was just saying that's what he LOOKS, not what I think he'll test. I think he'll be fine.

No matter what though I'd get him into the training/strength program immediately. I think it'd do wonders for him to get into that routine early.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Last edited by vidae : 12-06-2011 at 09:11 PM.
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:18 PM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He'll probably measure the same as Tyrod Taylor.
norcalgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:51 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
From what I've seen in games, there is simply no way he's over 200 lbs. I doubt he's taller than 6'1" at most, as well.

I guess we'll see at the Combine and/or the Senior Bowl.
I though he was only a Junior? So only at the combine if he goes out.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:08 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's been in college four years so I think that makes him eligible for the Senior Bowl. Same deal for Luck.

Damn that's going to be one helluva game if both those guys play!!
Old 12-06-2011, 11:26 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
He's been in college four years so I think that makes him eligible for the Senior Bowl. Same deal for Luck.

Damn that's going to be one helluva game if both those guys play!!
That's not how it works. You have to be a SENIOR to play in the SENIOR Bowl.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:45 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onejayhawk View Post
For what it is worth, National Football Post has RG III at #2 on their Big Board. Barkley is #18, but moving up.

That being said, this si from one of their best writers, and a former scout IIRC.

Overall, I feel that the success that Cam Newton has had this year helps Griffin. Like Griffin, Newton was an unconventional athletic quarterback in a spread offense. Though the schemes are different there is enough similarity to compare. Griffin has excellent intelligence and should have no problem learning a pro system. Griffin has played a lot more football than Newton against equal competition so I have no problem in saying that he will be a very high pick. Still, in saying that, depending on what junior quarterbacks come out, he still may be only the 3rd quarterback drafted. Without question, I would take Andrew Luck and Matt Barkley before I would take Griffin. Still he probably goes in the top 5-7 picks of the draft. The quarterbacks who go in the first round of this draft are far better players than the quarterbacks last year and could have more impact as rookies.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...s-offense.html

J
This baffles me...they are really nothing alike (besides the obvious), Newton can do certain things because of his great size, he played in an option read offense at Auburn, Griffin's offense is more of the "classical" spread variety. There is no way the Griffin at the next level will be asked to run as much as Newton does.

The Griffin hype is getting a little out of control, the Big 12 produces prolific passers year after year and he played in a spread offense. Only time will tell on whether or not he is successful at the next level.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:23 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

Hype would be talking up RGIII as a potential 1/1 pick.

IMO he's been considered at least the 3rd best prospect in this draft since November.

The two top rookie NFL QBs came from college spread offenses. It's just not the huge negative that it used to be for most teams scouting college prospects.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:19 AM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
This baffles me...they are really nothing alike (besides the obvious), Newton can do certain things because of his great size, he played in an option read offense at Auburn, Griffin's offense is more of the "classical" spread variety. There is no way the Griffin at the next level will be asked to run as much as Newton does.

The Griffin hype is getting a little out of control, the Big 12 produces prolific passers year after year and he played in a spread offense. Only time will tell on whether or not he is successful at the next level.
They have two outstanding features in common. They are very fast, and they dont look like classic leadfoot QBs. Since one fast, unconventional QB succeeded, why not another. Personnel departments are big on copying the last successful innovation.

RG III is not at all like Newton. He does not have a Warren Moon arm, but that is more the style.

J
onejayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:51 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
The Big XII produces prolific passers in football factories that draw in talent and Texas Tech...and none of them have film as good as Griffin's(with the notable exception of Sam Bradford) is. That's what this is about. The spread offense thing doesn't mean what it used to mean anymore with the success to failure rate of talented guys coming out of those systems syncing right up with guys coming out of pro-style systems. Besides, it's not like the shotgun magically stops being effective in the NFL. No doubt you need to be able to take snaps under center and be able to drop back, but we see spread concepts in the NFL working week after week.

I think we've seen even to realize that neither system is inherently better for preparing a quarterback for NFL speed. Coming from a "pro-style" scheme might allow someone to take some shortcuts that a spread guy can't take, but at the end of the day it's all about talent and what you see in the games. With Griffin, we see him routinely throwing passes deep down the field and completing them over defenders with minimal adjustments by wide receivers. Nick Foles is one thing, RGIII is another entirely.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 12-07-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:31 PM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I figured out exactly who RGIII reminds me of.

This player brought the first Heisman Trophy and National Championship to his school. He has been inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.

He did not play in the NFL (which renders this comparison kinda useless, but fun nonetheless. The two are strikingly similar players.)

Who am I talking about?
Old 12-07-2011, 12:34 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Why not just say Charlie Ward? Only one guy to really fit that description.

I really don't know how that one works, not saying it isn't valid...but the circumstances of the two are just very different and Charlie was before my time(not going to make judgement based on out of context highlight tape). Different league too.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 12-07-2011, 12:38 PM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Why not just say Charlie Ward? Only one guy to really fit that description.

I really don't know how that one works, not saying it isn't valid...but the circumstances of the two are just very different and Charlie was before my time(not going to make judgement based on out of context highlight tape). Different league too.
I was testing NFLDC's sense of CFB history, EE! But yeah, it was pretty obvious.

Like we both said, the comparison doesn't offer anything in terms of NFL projection. But they're pretty much the exact same size, with similar demeanors, work ethic, throwing mechanics, playing style, etc.