Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 02-29-2012, 03:23 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
Seriously. Why are WRs even signing there?
Thomas signed there before Paul Johnson got there. Hill signed there because the coaching staff basically promised he would be Thomas' replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:03 PM    (permalink
PhillyBirds25
Rookie

PhillyBirds25 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairPhillyBirds25 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairPhillyBirds25 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairPhillyBirds25 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairPhillyBirds25 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairPhillyBirds25 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairPhillyBirds25 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairPhillyBirds25 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairPhillyBirds25 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairPhillyBirds25 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairPhillyBirds25 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Pros:
-Size: 6'4 215lbs
-Athletic ability: 4.3 speed, 39.5'' vert, solid quickness for a man his size
-Blocking: Great ability to block thanks to the triple-option offense
-Character: Really good kid, well spoken, hard worker, great work ethic
-Spectacular catch: This kid can make some circus catches and for the most part shows good hands. Problem is his concentration and him looking up field before securing the ball, this is due to him wanting to make a big play every play because he had such few opportunities in that offense.
-Upside/Potential: There's no doubt with his measurable and talent his ceiling is huge, the JPP prospect of receivers.

Cons:
-Routes: His route tree is limited and his routes aren't polished due to the offense they ran at GT.
-Concentration: Like I said above, he sometimes loses concentration and drops an easy pass due to looking up field before securing the ball.

Doubt he gets out of the first, too much good and potential.
PhillyBirds25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:45 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Excellent analysis. It sounds like he could sneak into the first, but my money would be on 2nd round. Watching him at Georgia Tech he wasn't as good as Demaryius Thomas despite comparable measurables. Not very good tape even for a triple option guy. He is extremely raw and he drops too many balls and makes too many mental mistakes. He's not a good route runner in an offense where you only run 3 routes. I would grade him 3rd round still, way too much risk despite his considerable upside. Torrey Smith and Greg Little went late 2nd last year. I would put take him in the same area myself - though I understand that teams go gaga over speed and he'll likely be a top 40 pick.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:53 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the Bears take him at #19, I will not be at all disappointed. That's what I've decided. Too much upside.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:56 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th30ry View Post
I know it's a crazy concept, but maybe some kids want to get an excellent education and play football. That's why Calvin went there, he's not just a physical freak, he's got a great mind and he really wanted to take advantage of the scholarship and get the best education while still being at a good school.

Not that there aren't better educational choices, but if you're wanting to do engineering or anything like that, there is an exceptionally short list of schools that can get you on a national stage for football and offer that level of education.
He could have come to Illinois and gotten the same engineering education with more than 2 targets a game, I know that much.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:05 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do we have some knowledge as to who actually offered him a scholarship? Because for all we know GT was the most attractive option out of his choices. Besides, why does it even matter? Sure hasn't hurt the last few high profile WR's coming out of GT.

I will say, DT breaking out last season, especially right before he declares, was probably a huge help for him. Same goes for RGIII and Cam Newton. Not that they wouldn't still be highly coveted, but it gives you a glimpse of the upside panning out and excites you just a little bit more.

Some people need to really keep in mind, just because they don't run a full route tree at GT doesn't mean none of their WR's know how. Obviously the learning curve will be steeper for those guys, but I don't think it'll matter in the grand scheme of things.

I look at where Torrey Smith was drafted and think Hill has more to offer overall. I know that's tough to say about a guy who had 800 yards and 7 TD's as a rookie, but how much of that was off of 1 route? I think Hill has more to his game then just running past people, and frankly there are just some things you can do with that frame and speed that others can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:36 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiFan24 View Post
If the Bears take him at #19, I will not be at all disappointed. That's what I've decided. Too much upside.
If I were a Bears fan and they took Hill over Floyd and Wright then I'd shoot my television. That would be ********.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:26 PM    (permalink
SilentJaguar
Rookie

SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Do we have some knowledge as to who actually offered him a scholarship? Because for all we know GT was the most attractive option out of his choices. Besides, why does it even matter? Sure hasn't hurt the last few high profile WR's coming out of GT.
Rivals has Auburn, the Mississippi schools, UGA, UNC, BC, Tennessee, UAB, and UCF down for him with only Auburn, Georgia, and Tennessee not offering him(and only two listed official visits to GT and BC).
SilentJaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:41 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think one of the selling points is that, in addition to a nice education, they may not pass often, but when they do, they're throwing bombs. Look at some of the WRs' yards per reception.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:10 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's a heck of a recruiting pitch when a coach can say to you, 'come to GT and be the next Megatron/Demaryius Thomas.'

GT won't continue to recruits WRs of this caliber because of the offense they run, but Stephen Hill is on par more or less with CJ and Thomas. Very similar profile.
I just think if he'd had 100-120 targets last season, Hill would have put up some alltime receiving marks last season. He made the most of his opportunities which is all you can ask from a player.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:33 AM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kenny Britt + Darrius Heyward-Bey
norcalgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:58 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Excellent answers to this, even if one was a little snarky. lol

Nice work fellas!

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:03 PM    (permalink
JohnCandy
Veteran

JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Who would you rather have on your team Kendall Wright or Stephen Hill?
JohnCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:07 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's not based on anything more than a gut feeling, but I think Hill is going to go a lot higher than most people expect. I think he's firmly entrenched in the 1st round and could end up going in the top 20. He has much of the same question marks as Demaryius Thomas coming out, but with more upside.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:01 PM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCandy View Post
Kendall Wright by a mile.

regoob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:03 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Stephen Hill!

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:45 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd take Kendall Wright in a heartbeat, no 2nd questions asked.

I'd watch the Patriots and Hill late in the first (if they don't address their deep threat needs). Belichick has always been intrigued with specimens (well, most coaches are), and he should have enough close connections to get some inside information on Hill (with Al Groh there).

The team that drafts Hill, though, can't depend on him too much early. They'll basically need him to do what Torrey Smith did for the Ravens this year - run deep routes and catch some occasionally, opening up the underneath-intermediate routes for others.

I have a hard time seeing him top 20. Late first, sure. But he's so raw that it is simply hard to imagine him going that high. That said, all it takes is one.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:48 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's a lot better than Torrey Smith. He can actually catch a ball and he has the superior height and speed, a lot more potential IMO.

RIP themaninblack
Old 03-02-2012, 04:28 PM    (permalink
JohnCandy
Veteran

JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

According to Len Pasquarelli of the Sports XChange, NFL scouts believe Georgia Tech WR Stephen Hill is a "tad better route runner" than Demaryius Thomas was coming out of school, and the two have "similar characteristics."

Hill and Thomas are compared because they both operated as deep threat receivers in Georgia Tech's incredibly run-heavy triple-option offense. Scouts reportedly believe Thomas was more physical in college, but Hill may be even more advanced. Thomas was the first receiver selected in the 2010 draft. "The size and speed, obviously, are there," an NFC scout said of Hill. "But, outside of ordering up the tape, you don't want to fall all over yourself yet.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:22 PM    (permalink
JohnCandy
Veteran

Mel Kiper has Stephen Hill as his #4 WR.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:22 PM    (permalink
Steady Lurkin
Rookie

Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DO WANT!!!!!!!!!!! df
Steady Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:26 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Mel Kiper has Stephen Hill as his #4 WR.
I have him at #3

RIP themaninblack
Old 03-02-2012, 06:23 PM    (permalink
JohnCandy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
I have him at #3
I could really see the Bears taking the risk on him at 19, they are desperate for a physically dominant #1.

Obviously they want Michael Floyd, but they have 2-3 Kendall Wright type players on the team and I do not know if he adds something new.

The Hill pick would be totally based on potential, but it could be the ultimate home run.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:25 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Yeah i was thinking Bears at #19. Anywhere from #15 to #26 would be my guess.

RIP themaninblack
Old 03-02-2012, 06:50 PM    (permalink
JohnCandy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
Yeah i was thinking Bears at #19. Anywhere from #15 to #26 would be my guess.
We have been so conservative at WR for so long and we have NEVER had a dominant WR.

I will give Emery a free pass if he takes a swing with Hill and misses at least for the first time since David Terrell [2001] they would have taken a swing.