Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-03-2013, 11:14 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Veteran

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
Are you kidding me Gonzo? You want the writers to spend time on a kid with asthma? That would be completely pointless. And you missed the point of even showing that kid. Yes, it was part to show Andrea disagreeing with him. But it was more to tell us about the Governor. The fact that he doesn't care about anything but power. The fact that he'll use a young kid who can't even run more than ten feet as basically a human shield so he can get more power. Nobody cares about that kid's backstory because he is nothing more than a pawn of the Governor.
"It's pointless to make the viewers invested in the characters"

This is what Walking Dead fans actually believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:15 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hush, tonight was a damn good episode and you know it boy.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:16 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the best part was when he told carl to watch The Wire :)
Old 03-03-2013, 11:18 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Veteran

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Hush, tonight was a damn good episode and you know it boy.
I agree, except for Magic Michonne teleporting in and out of a restaurant offscreen. What the hell was that?

Quote:
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:21 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alex View Post
I agree, except for Magic Michonne teleporting in and out of a restaurant offscreen. What the hell was that?

Great episode I really enjoyed it. Carl is really growing on me this season.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:27 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothgar View Post

Great episode I really enjoyed it. Carl is really growing on me this season.
I know it saves money to just have things occur offscreen but even the biggest fan has to admit that was stupid. Carl is standing there with his back on the door, zombies inside clawing at it, and Michonne just walks offscreen, goes through the backdoor (that neither Carl or Michonne decided to take while running away while inside) and magically grabs two objects without alerting any of the zombies.

Quote:
Old 03-03-2013, 11:28 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Solid episode tonite. Tied up some loose ends.

And agree on Carl growing on the viewers this season.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:35 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
All-NFLDC

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great episode. I wish the show was that good with any kind of consistency. There were a few moments that fell flat but really that has to be one of my favorite episodes of the series so far. It really is unfortunate that Carl is an awful actor.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:40 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How come no one on The Walking Dead uses the term "zombie?" It bugs me. Are they living in a version of the world where that's not actually a fantasy concept people have come up with prior to this whole ordeal?
Old 03-03-2013, 11:41 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alex View Post
I know it saves money to just have things occur offscreen but even the biggest fan has to admit that was stupid. Carl is standing there with his back on the door, zombies inside clawing at it, and Michonne just walks offscreen, goes through the backdoor (that neither Carl or Michonne decided to take while running away while inside) and magically grabs two objects without alerting any of the zombies.
Its not stupid at all Zombies were much more concerned about clawing at Carl. Zombies are not smart or strategic creatures. They see something living and chase it. So as long as Michonne does not do anything to alert the zombies they will chase after its original focus.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 03-03-2013, 11:43 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
How come no one on The Walking Dead uses the term "zombie?" It bugs me. Are they living in a version of the world where that's not actually a fantasy concept people have come up with prior to this whole ordeal?
They just have kept with the term "walkers" from the beginning.

Never really noticed before though.

I do like that Rick is slowly coming back to normal though.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
Old 03-03-2013, 11:47 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post
They just have kept with the term "walkers" from the beginning.

Never really noticed before though.
Various people Rick and Co. have encountered have had different terms for them though. None seem familiar with the concept of zombie, haha.

Oh well.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:49 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

Also, what did you guys think with them ignoring the man on the side of the road looking for help (i understood that part, because Rick doesn't trust **** anymore) but their attitude of seeing that the guy was attacked and eaten when they were driving back. Then they just stopped to pick up his supplies.

Just showing how accustomed they have grown to the world that stuff like that doesn't bother them anymore?

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
Old 03-03-2013, 11:51 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
A story has creatures that are obviously based on some sort of mythological monster, but goes out of its way not to call them that.
The title comes from Shaun of the Dead, which gave this a Lampshade Hanging, as seen in the page quote: Shaun doesn't like it because it makes him nervous, but the real reason they're not supposed to say it is because they're in a zombie movie.

A subtrope of the Sci Fi Ghetto. Can be used to highlight how their monsters are different. Suppose your monsters are rotting shambling undead that want to drink your blood. Call them zombies and every casual reader's going to assume they're after "braaaaaiiinnss," while calling them vampires brings up images of old black-&-white horror movies and Anne Rice. Of course, when it's used to force a sense of "realism" (we don't call them "zombies" because zombies aren't real), it smacks painfully of Genre Blindness. If you were confronted by what appears to be a member of the walking dead, how much effort would you spend coming up with an alternative name?

One of the more Genre Savvy reasons is that the walking dead technically aren't zombies. The proper "zombie" is a person whose higher thought processes have been removed, leaving them under the sway of a master. This original zombie is usually the result of occult vodou magic. Some books, such as The Serpent and the Rainbow, argue that vodou practitioners actually can create zombies through a combination of drugs and cultural beliefs. "P-zombies", or "philosophical zombies", are even more convoluted — persons who don't have any subjective "experience".

Compare to Differently Powered Individual (for superheroes), Comic Book Movies Don't Use Codenames (for superheroic individuals) A Mech By Any Other Name (for Humongous Mecha), Magic By Any Other Name and Speak of the Devil. See also Call a Rabbit a "Smeerp", Fantastic Slur, The Scottish Trope, and T-Word Euphemism. When used for non-fantastic things and attributes, it may be an attempt to show and not tell.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...tUsingTheZWord

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:

Last edited by Brothgar : 03-04-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:57 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
Great episode. I wish the show was that good with any kind of consistency. There were a few moments that fell flat but really that has to be one of my favorite episodes of the series so far. It really is unfortunate that Carl is an awful actor.
Child actors who don't suck end up in movies, not TV.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:01 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

sally draper.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:04 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothgar View Post
Its not stupid at all Zombies were much more concerned about clawing at Carl. Zombies are not smart or strategic creatures. They see something living and chase it. So as long as Michonne does not do anything to alert the zombies they will chase after its original focus.
Pretty much. Michonne is supposed to be ninja-like and we've seen her ability to sneak around. Makes enough sense that she was able to go around back, sneak in, grab the picture and the hideous art thing, and sneak back out.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:12 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
sally draper.
Sometimes you pluck one early and get lucky. Also, Madmen never had to feature the kids in any kind of major role. They were just kind of there until the show's writers discovered they had some talent on their hands. Carl is a bit more essential. Madmen got lucky, TWD is doing its best to work around what they ended up with.

Quote:
Also, what did you guys think with them ignoring the man on the side of the road looking for help (i understood that part, because Rick doesn't trust **** anymore) but their attitude of seeing that the guy was attacked and eaten when they were driving back. Then they just stopped to pick up his supplies.

Just showing how accustomed they have grown to the world that stuff like that doesn't bother them anymore?
I think the importance of it was more towards the end - after Rick had reunited with Morgan. There was a lot of character development that occurred for Rick, Michonne, and Carl in that trip to town. Mostly for Rick, though. He is re-learning he can still trust some people and that he doesn't have to shutdown all outsiders. He doesn't want to end up like Morgan.

I think we were supposed to gather that they would have picked up the backpacker on the way back (the show is often bad at delivering its message through facial expressions).
Old 03-04-2013, 12:39 AM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great episode, glad to see Morgan back and I agree it wont be the last time we see Morgan. Maybe he'll have some time to think and get his mind back.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:50 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

That town looked just about cleared out and he'd designed a great defense against walkers.. Not sure why they don't all move in with Morgan and have their own town...
Old 03-04-2013, 12:53 AM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
That town looked just about cleared out and he'd designed a great defense against walkers.. Not sure why they don't all move in with Morgan and have their own town...
Great defense against walkers. Not a great defense against the Governor though despite a few random traps.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
Old 03-04-2013, 12:53 AM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well he's still kind of messed up in the head I wouldn't rush into that right now.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:57 AM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

Also the guilt trip he gave Rick about not answering on the walkie talkie and listening for him every night but he never came...

Rick seriously gets blamed for everything.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
Old 03-04-2013, 01:00 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Great defense against walkers. Not a great defense against the Governor though despite a few random traps.
The Governor doesn't know the place exists.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:23 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Icon

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm fairly certain the comic exists in a world where zombies aren't a pop-culture phenomenon, therefore nobody in the universe knows to refer to the dead as zombies.

A great, slower paced episode. Rick/Morgan really gave great performances and I honestly liked what they did with Carl. He is still one of the worst characters on the show, but he has developed to the point that he is substantially better than he has been.

I can't wait till the Governor storyline is resolved.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote