Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum Discuss the Bucs

Old 03-26-2007, 05:23 AM    (permalink
BunMagnet2

I think that we really messed up in two places. 1st that we went after Jake Plummer who was 32 yrs old and wanted to retire which was a waste and 2nd we did'nt go after Ken Hamlin. Who could have came right in and replaced Will Allen who has only been near average. I think that there were alot of guys in free agency that we could/should have gone after that we didn't. I mean look who we did go after abunch of 30 yr olds.

Tell Me how u feel about our free agency job.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:50 AM    (permalink
bofadabizzles
Veteran

bofadabizzles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bofadabizzles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bofadabizzles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bofadabizzles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bofadabizzles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bofadabizzles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bofadabizzles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bofadabizzles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bofadabizzles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bofadabizzles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bofadabizzles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the moves the Bucs made. I would like to have Ken Hamlin as well, but...I'm pretty sure the team will upgrade the safety spot(s) in the draft, and there is a nice crop of safetys this year. We didn't over pay for anyone nor did we blow our free agent wad, which was a pleasent surprise. We upgraded our o-line and June should be an upgrade over Niece or playing in front of Rudd if thats the plan. The Plummer deal was dumb but that has been Gruden's m.o., to try to get something for nothing. I think every Buc fan breathed a huge sigh of relief when he retired.
bofadabizzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:05 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like how you refer to the Bucs offseason as "ours" and "we".

But seriously, I think the Plummer deal has been misread. Either way, we get a starting QB with 5 years left in him or $3-7million in bonuses if he retires for minimal compensation.

The Buccaneers have had a fine offseason, it has even been mentioned as the best offseason of any team by many sports writers and commonly occurs in the top 5 in lists.

You also have to appreciate the lack of signing/roster bonuses given to guys like Petigout and Carter, who can be cut after a year with minimal to zero cap infringements.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:44 AM    (permalink
Merlin
Veteran

Merlin hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
I like how you refer to the Bucs offseason as "ours" and "we".

But seriously, I think the Plummer deal has been misread. Either way, we get a starting QB with 5 years left in him or $3-7million in bonuses if he retires for minimal compensation.

The Buccaneers have had a fine offseason, it has even been mentioned as the best offseason of any team by many sports writers and commonly occurs in the top 5 in lists.

You also have to appreciate the lack of signing/roster bonuses given to guys like Petigout and Carter, who can be cut after a year with minimal to zero cap infringements.
Bump, has Plummer handed his papers in yet?

IMO, "we" did a great job in FA, Allen/Gruden, have given us the opportunity to be competitive with-out mortgaging the farm (or our future) to do it.

We now have the chance to build on it in the Draft.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:17 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We are a team that is trying to build through the draft. We have not pursued those players you mentioned and others because we don't want to pay ridiculous money for players that we don't really want/need. Ken Hamlin is not a good fit in our defense because he is more physical than he is good in coverage. We need our Free Safety to be a good cover-guy, and we might draft one like Brandon Meriweather if given the opportunity.

We signed a veteran QB that gives us great insurance for Simms and can be a solid starter and leader if need be. We signed a starter-quality LT for cheap. We added depth to our defensive line and linebackers, and we re-signed the right players for the right money.

Any fan can tell that Allen & Gruden have a well thought-out offseason plan that they are sticking to. Would you rather us throw money here-and-there for fringe starters hoping to get lucky like Washington or Dallas? I trust what they are doing and I have a feeling that we are going to draft important contributors in all of the first 5 rounds. Give some credit to our management for having the guts to keep a low-profile in a hectic offseason and signing the right players.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:41 PM    (permalink
ks_perfection
Veteran

ks_perfection hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

It was a surprisingly productive offseason. We got good players that will make an impact for cheap prices. I didn't like the Plummer trade, but than again you will never agree with every move a team makes.
ks_perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:11 PM    (permalink
-black
Pro Bowler

-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I kind of wish we would have gotten Carr instead of Garcia.....but not really sold either way
-black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:47 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

David Carr still can't read defenses and he has gotten away with pure talent and skill to this point. I don't think he would be a good fit in Gruden's offense because he still isn't a mature QB, and Simms is further ahead in his development. I like Garcia over Carr because Garcia is a veteran and can be counted on for consistent solid play.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-26-2007, 06:29 PM    (permalink
ks_perfection
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
David Carr still can't read defenses and he has gotten away with pure talent and skill to this point. I don't think he would be a good fit in Gruden's offense because he still isn't a mature QB, and Simms is further ahead in his development. I like Garcia over Carr because Garcia is a veteran and can be counted on for consistent solid play.
Counted on, lol.

This guy was awful in Cleveland and Detroit. He did well in Philly (so did Feeley), being good 1 out of 3 isn't excatly consistent.

Last edited by ks_perfection : 03-26-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:12 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks_perfection View Post
Counted on, lol.

This guy was awful in Cleveland and Detroit. He did well in Philly (so did Feeley), being good 1 out of 3 isn't excatly consistent.
He was a pro bowler in SF too. If you watched him play for Philly, he was solid and consistent. That was the true Jeff Garcia, showing his toughness and creativity while making few mistakes. I really like all of our QBs right now, and the thought of having CJ as their target makes me really excited.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-26-2007, 08:24 PM    (permalink
ks_perfection
Veteran

He was grat in Philly and SF when he was surrounded by good offensive support, but in Cleveland and Detroit without alot of talent he did very badly. This would be true of all QBs, but the change of his play bigger than you'd expect.

I do not expect Garcia to bomb like in did with those other teams, but he won't be nearly as good as he was in SF or Philly. If we get CJ he should do alot better, though Simms would do even better since he can thrown the deep ball to him.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:31 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think a lot had to do with the Offense that Garcia played or will play in, with Grudens WCO being a great fit.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:53 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

"Lions released DT Anthony Bryant.
Bryant, who signed from Tampa's practice squad late in 2006 and was to compete for a roster spot, didn't show up to Detroit's offseason program."

Old 03-27-2007, 05:24 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Coach Jon Gruden said the Bucs have enough ammunition to move up in next month's NFL draft and suggested Tampa Bay may select a quarterback in the first round.
-- Tampa Tribune

Blehh, bad news.

Jon Gruden said Monday he would like to schedule a face-to-face meeting with Jake Plummer. Gruden and general manager Bruce Allen are in Phoenix for the NFL owners meetings this week. Plummer played at nearby Arizona State, but Gruden said he isn't sure where or when a meeting might occur.
-- St. Petersburg Times

More blehh

The owners also will vote on Tampa Bay's proposal to use instant replay for all penalties except holding; increasing the number of players suited up for games from 45 to 47; and instituting 5-yard penalties for players who spike the ball on the field of play. Spikes in the end zone after scores would be allowed

We are always well represented at these meetings. We bring up good proposals, and last year we were one of the only teams to vote against penalizing celebrations :D

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-27-2007, 06:12 PM    (permalink
ks_perfection
Veteran

Gruden should act like he has interest in drafting a QB even if he has 0 intention of doing so to increase the demand in case he wants to draft one of the 2. I'd rather people think were considering everyone in the draft than just a few players.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:13 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks_perfection View Post
Gruden should act like he has interest in drafting a QB even if he has 0 intention of doing so to increase the demand in case he wants to draft one of the 2. I'd rather people think were considering everyone in the draft than just a few players.
Agreed. It could all be a smokescreen, however, it is always a good idea to keep your options open. If the coaching staff thinks adding a Brady Quinn would benefit the team then we should have faith in their decision.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:18 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
Agreed. It could all be a smokescreen, however, it is always a good idea to keep your options open. If the coaching staff thinks adding a Brady Quinn would benefit the team then we should have faith in their decision.
I will have faith that Gruden & Allen have given up and are trying to rebuild the team from scratch.

There is one situation where I will be happy with Quinn......If Chicago gets Washington's pick in the Briggs trade, and then trades up to #3 & drafts CJ. I would hope that we draft Quinn just to make Cleveland pay, and then I would hope a team trades up to 5 & drafts AD!

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-27-2007, 07:24 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
I will have faith that Gruden & Allen have given up and are trying to rebuild the team from scratch.

There is one situation where I will be happy with Quinn......If Chicago gets Washington's pick in the Briggs trade, and then trades up to #3 & drafts CJ. I would hope that we draft Quinn just to make Cleveland pay, and then I would hope a team trades up to 5 & drafts AD!
Drafting out of spite would certainly be a new way to do things :).