Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

Old 02-28-2012, 08:19 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmG6376 View Post
Bruce Irvin numbers for comparison
6'3" 245
40yd: 4.5
10y : 1.53
20yshut : 4.03
3cone: 6.70
broadjump: 123.0
reps@225: : 23
vert: 33.5

This guy is incredibly raw. He stated in interviews that he's never been coached on how to be an edge rusher. What the hell were those coaches at WVU doing?
What were Clay's numbers?
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:46 AM    (permalink
RyanBraun8
Rookie

RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.

Clay was very similar. I believe 242 but much different a player. He was a hybrid in USC defense. He played down and up. He was stout at point of attack and was a good not great pass rusher. He had much more polish. Bruce is just raw as you could be. WV had no clue what to do with him. He is he biggest boom or bust and needs to much work to be an impact player this year. The hope would be that he could be a strict 3rd down or pass down rusher. He will offer nothing in run game and actually that is fine for right now.

other note Curry is out. He is stiff and slow. Lewis is a guy to watch in late first at OLB. Ingram and Upshaw both shoud be off board. I think Fletcher Cox needs to be a Packer. Guy has so much talent and could be the Jenkins replacement needed. Then Irwin in 2nd rd. Whittney M has is a guy who has grown on me.

Aaron Henry would be a great mid round guy depending what happens with Collins and where Burnett plays (FS or SS) but that is Sconnie bias
RyanBraun8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:17 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

CM3 in 2009
6'3" 240
40yd : 4.67
10yd : 1.49
20yd : 4.18
3cone : 6.90
broadjump: 121.0
reps@225 : 23
vert : 35.5

Bruce Irvin in 2012
6'3" 245

Very similar. Clay is better in some while Bruce bests him in others. The only real question with Bruce is whether he has the capacity to learn to perform the full responsibilities of OLB. I think he'll work his ass off to get stronger and improve technique, but does he have the football IQ? Like RB8 said, Capers has shown already that he is not above rotating at that position and if Irvin needed to do that initially until he could be trusted with more that would be fine. Similar to what SanFran did with Aldon this year. I hope the Packer front office sees it the same way.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:56 AM    (permalink
CheeseKnuckles
Rookie

CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
CM3 in 2009
6'3" 240
40yd : 4.67
10yd : 1.49
20yd : 4.18
3cone : 6.90
broadjump: 121.0
reps@225 : 23
vert : 35.5

Bruce Irvin in 2012
6'3" 245

Very similar. Clay is better in some while Bruce bests him in others. The only real question with Bruce is whether he has the capacity to learn to perform the full responsibilities of OLB. I think he'll work his ass off to get stronger and improve technique, but does he have the football IQ? Like RB8 said, Capers has shown already that he is not above rotating at that position and if Irvin needed to do that initially until he could be trusted with more that would be fine. Similar to what SanFran did with Aldon this year. I hope the Packer front office sees it the same way.
I think the Packers could take a chance on Irvin. They do have So'oto who is a bigger body who could possibly be used more on run downs. Depending how So'oto comes around this season, the combo of the two So'oto and Irvin could work nicely.

Not sure where I stand at this moment as far as our 1st round pick goes, but I like Cox, Irvin, and Branch. Also I would maybe consider Still or Worthy, but I am not sure about either of those two players.
CheeseKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:13 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you are interested:
http://nflcombineresults.com/

Combine results going back to 1999. Just awesome.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:21 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Based on what I've seen from Fletcher Cox, I'd be in favor of trading up to around 20 or so if that's what it ultimately takes to get him. Plenty of time for his stock to fluctuate between now and the draft, but I'm really hoping he ends up at least within a reasonable trading range.

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:30 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
Based on what I've seen from Fletcher Cox, I'd be in favor of trading up to around 20 or so if that's what it ultimately takes to get him. Plenty of time for his stock to fluctuate between now and the draft, but I'm really hoping he ends up at least within a reasonable trading range.
I know I posted about Cox's stock a little bit earlier in this thread...he is the most versatile defensive linemen in the draft with wonderful measureables and progressively productive in the SEC...depending on where St. Louis trades back to he could go as high as 6, then there's Jacksonville, Carolina, Miami, Seattle, and Dallas all within the Top 14 who have needs along their defensive front...as teams go back and watch the tape it's only going to help boost his stock more

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:25 PM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Agreed^ He and Dontari Poe significantly improved their draft status. As for all of this Bruce Irvin talk on here and comparing his combine to CM3's #'s; I guess if TT drafts him I will have some faith, but looking at all of his videos on youtube, he is a straight speed guy whereas Clay was more of a power guy that just had exceptional burst. I worry about him in the run game.

With that being said, I would love to see the Packers draft Bama's Hightower as a 3-4 OLB. I know he played primarily ILB, but he definitely played DE and OLB in certain packages. I like that he has played all over in the 3-4, as he can add more scheme diversity. He also is 6'2" 265 and ran a sub 4.7 40.

Then in round 2 (I am assuming we will sign and trade flynn for a 2nd rounder), we get ourselves a DE (Brandon Thompson, Alameda Ta'amu, Jerel Worthy, Billy Winn, or Derek Wolfe) and either a RB, TE, C (depending on Wells situation), CB, or S with our other 2nd rounder
bigboiajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:47 AM    (permalink
cuzifelt1ikeit
Veteran

cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboiajhawk View Post
Agreed^ He and Dontari Poe significantly improved their draft status. As for all of this Bruce Irvin talk on here and comparing his combine to CM3's #'s; I guess if TT drafts him I will have some faith, but looking at all of his videos on youtube, he is a straight speed guy whereas Clay was more of a power guy that just had exceptional burst. I worry about him in the run game.

With that being said, I would love to see the Packers draft Bama's Hightower as a 3-4 OLB. I know he played primarily ILB, but he definitely played DE and OLB in certain packages. I like that he has played all over in the 3-4, as he can add more scheme diversity. He also is 6'2" 265 and ran a sub 4.7 40.

Then in round 2 (I am assuming we will sign and trade flynn for a 2nd rounder), we get ourselves a DE (Brandon Thompson, Alameda Ta'amu, Jerel Worthy, Billy Winn, or Derek Wolfe) and either a RB, TE, C (depending on Wells situation), CB, or S with our other 2nd rounder
as a washington fan i definitely wouldnt be too excited for us picking ta'amu. i guess hes just there to occupy space technically but i would hope we could find someone better in the second round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigNall4MVP
biigest mistake packers ever make was geting rid of craig nall he beter then bret faver
cuzifelt1ikeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:08 PM    (permalink
CheeseKnuckles
Rookie

CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My Packers Mock 3.0

I'm not completely sold on this draft, but it could play out this way. If it were up to me and everything fell right I would take Branch/Jenkins/Mercilus/Gilmore before Still, but I really feel like our draft could play out this way.

Rd 1. Devon Still DE, Penn State

Not sure how popular of a pick this will be, but what I do know is if we pick at #28, the guys like Cox/Brockers/Poe will be gone. I haven’t been the biggest fan of Still, but I think the potential is there. I trust TT to make the right decision if Still would be the right guy.

Still is a big boy who had 4.5 sacks this year and 17 TFL. With the right coaching and the right environment he could turn out to be a stud.

Alternate Picks: Andre Branch/Jerel Worthy/Janoris Jenkins/Stephon Gilmore/Bruce Irvin

Rd. 2. Shea McClellin OLB, Boise State

Shea performed pretty well at the combine. I like the fact that he did everything for Boise, OLB/ILB/DE. I think giving Capers a versatile player with a good motor would be great for this defense. All he needs to do now is grow his hair out.

Alternate picks: Jake Bequette/Casey Hayward/Harrison Smith

Rd 3. Winston Guy Jr. S, Kentucky

In 2011 Guy had 120 tackes, 14 TFL, 2 passes broken up, 2 INTS, and 1 FF. At 6'1 216 Guy would bring a physical presence to the secondary as a 8th man in the box and maybe put some fear in WRs crossing the middle. Guy also has a pretty decent knack for the ball. The thing I like about most Guy is his willingness to tackle. In 2011 Guy had 8 games with double-digit tackles. Guy is literally one of my favorite players in the draft.

Alternate Picks: Jammel Flemming/Josh Norman/Dajohn Harris

Rd 4. Philip Blake C, Baylor

I am not sure if Blake is around this long because I don’t know what the demand for centers is like around the league. I’ve read differing opinions, but I liked what I saw at the combine. I think he could be a good starting center someday.

Rd. 5 Ethan Johnson DE, Norte Dame

Not sure if Johnson is worth the fifth round pick, but at 6’4 and 300lbs he could be worth the risk. He also has experience in a 3-4 defense where he had 5 sacks playing 3-4 DE.

Rd 6. Ishmaa’ily Kitchen NT, Kent State

6’1/340lbs

Rd 7. Rd 6: Tashaun Gipson CB, Wyoming

6’0/196/4.4speed… why not

Last edited by CheeseKnuckles : 03-01-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:11 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseKnuckles View Post
I'm not completely sold on this draft, but it could play out this way. If it were up to me and everything fell right I would take Branch/Jenkins/Mercilus/Gilmore before Still, but I really feel like our draft could play out this way.

Rd 1. Devon Still DE, Penn State

Not sure how popular of a pick this will be, but what I do know is if we pick at #28, the guys like Cox/Brockers/Poe will be gone. I haven’t been the biggest fan of Still, but I think the potential is there. I trust TT to make the right decision if Still would be the right guy.

Still is a big boy who had 4.5 sacks this year and 17 TFL. With the right coaching and the right environment he could turn out to be a stud.

Alternate Picks: Andre Branch/Jerel Worthy/Janoris Jenkins/Stephon Gilmore/Bruce Irvin

Rd. 2. Shea McClellin OLB, Boise State

Shea performed pretty well at the combine. I like the fact that he did everything for Boise, OLB/ILB/DE. I think giving Capers a versatile player with a good motor would be great for this defense. All he needs to do now is grow his hair out.

Alternate picks: Jake Bequette/Casey Hayward/Harrison Smith

Rd 3. Winston Guy Jr. S, Kentucky

In 2011 Guy had 120 tackes, 14 TFL, 2 passes broken up, 2 INTS, and 1 FF. At 6'1 216 Guy would bring a physical presence to the secondary as a 8th man in the box and maybe put some fear in WRs crossing the middle. Guy also has a pretty decent knack for the ball. The thing I like about most Guy is his willingness to tackle. In 2011 Guy had 8 games with double-digit tackles. Guy is literally one of my favorite players in the draft.

Alternate Picks: Jammel Flemming/Josh Norman/Dajohn Harris

Rd 4. Philip Blake C, Baylor

I am not sure if Blake is around this long because I don’t know what the demand for centers is like around the league. I’ve read differing opinions, but I liked what I saw at the combine. I think he could be a good starting center someday.

Rd. 5 Ethan Johnson DE, Norte Dame

Not sure if Johnson is worth the fifth round pick, but at 6’4 and 300lbs he could be worth the risk. He also has experience in a 3-4 defense where he had 5 sacks playing 3-4 DE.

Rd 6. Ishmaa’ily Kitchen NT, Kent State

6’1/340lbs

Rd 7. Rd 6: Tashaun Gipson CB, Wyoming

6’0/196/4.4speed… why not

Good job all around, plus not wasting a high pick on the RB position.
The only thing that concerns me about Still is that he, and his collegiate prodiction, reminds me a lot of CJ Wilson's.
Wilson was supposed to have some pass-rushing ability. We've seen none really.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:20 PM    (permalink
CheeseKnuckles
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
The only thing that concerns me about Still is that he, and his collegiate prodiction, reminds me a lot of CJ Wilson's.
I agree. Still scares me... I mainly went with the pick based on the way the draft might go ahead of us.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:39 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
CJ Wilson has played out of position his entire NFL career. He was an even front end at East Carolina (with Linval Joseph and Jay Ross also on that line) and he wasn't an elite pass rusher there but he had a knack for getting into the backfield while being stout against the run. Still is a guy that plays inside (3 tech in an even front, 5 tech in an odd front) and he concerns me greatly as a "contract year" guy. In several games he displayed disruptive ability but could often disappear and even in the Badger game, where he was facing Kevin Zeitler, he got completely shut down; not a guy I want.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:42 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kendall Reyes is interesting, hes definitely rising up draft boards. i like DaJohn Harris as well.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:29 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

The defensive linemen again turned heads with some outstanding workouts at the combine. Players who weigh in excess of 300 pounds were regularly running times under 5.0 seconds in the 40, an inconceivable thought just a few years ago. Several star players improved their draft stock, while a few lesser-known prospects also jumped out with solid performances today.

Risers

Melvin Ingram, South Carolina:
Ingram continues to impress NFL teams, and his combine workout will push him further north on draft boards. He ran under 4.7 seconds on his first attempt in the 40, which included a quick 10-yard split of 1.65 seconds. Ingram was near flawless in position drills. He displayed great lateral movement skills, lost almost no momentum changing direction and was always on balance. His hands violently struck the bags in defensive line drills and Ingram looked incredibly athletic during linebacker drills. Don't be surprised if Ingram breaks into the draft's first 12 picks.

Nick Perry, USC:
Perry turned in a workout for the ages. He was fast, posting 40 times in the low 4.6-second range at 271 pounds. He was strong, completing 35 repetitions on the bench press. Perry was also explosive and touched 38.5 inches in the vertical jump. He later looked incredibly athletic in all position drills. Perry solidified himself as a first round pick. The question is how early will he be selected during the first 32 choices?

Dontari Poe, Memphis:
Poe was impressive from start to finish. He posted 44 reps on the bench, leading all participants in this year's combine. He later motored his 346-pound frame for a 40 time under 5.0 seconds, which included an impressive 1.71-second 10-yard split. During position drills, Poe moved more like a linebacker than a big-bodied defensive lineman. He was quick, explosive and has scouts excited about his upside potential.

Whitney Mercilus, Illinois:
Mercilus was fast, timing his 40s between 4.65 and 4.68 seconds. He looked very athletic in drills, displaying a lot of quickness and the ability to swiftly move in any direction of the field. Mercilus showed a terrific burst of speed and the ability to turn it on in one quick step, which has scouts thinking he can line up at defensive end or stand up over tackle as a rush linebacker.

Kendall Reyes, UConn:
Reyes turned in a complete combine workout and leaves Indianapolis with an elevated draft grade. His 4.88-second 40 time was solid. His 36 repetitions on the bench should quell concerns about his strength at the point of attack. During the practice session Reyes looked incredibly quick-footed and smooth moving around the field.

Andre Branch, Clemson:
Branch averaged 4.7 seconds on his 40 times to start off the day, including one of the quickest 10-yard splits of 1.61 seconds. He practiced to that speed during drills, displaying the ability to immediately change direction and quickly move laterally in bag drills. Branch also looked athletic when run through a battery of linebacker drills. He got depth on pass drops and showed the ability to run fast laterally as well as in a straight line.

Fletcher Cox, Mississippi State:
Cox turned in a terrific workout as advertised. He tipped the scales at 298, pounds, then ran a 40 time that some stopwatches clocked at 4.78 seconds. During position drills Cox looked very athletic displaying balance and movement skills as he easily changed direction. Scouts were impressed by his ability to keep his knees bent and practice with good pad level. Expect the Mississippi State junior to charge into the top half of round one after his performance today.

Tyrone Crawford, Boise State:
Crawford could be the sleeper at the defensive line position. He clocked 4.85 seconds in the 40 at 275 pounds, more impressively posting a 1.65 10-yard split on his initial try. Crawford was fluid and natural in all his movement skills and looked very good in position drills. He showed terrific hand punch in bag drills and his 28 bench press reps was better than expected. Look for Crawford to be selected before the second day of the draft ends.

Mike Martin, Michigan:
The former Wolverine looked good in every aspect of his combine workout. Martin started off by completing 36 reps on the bench press, then posted surprisingly quick 40 times in the low- to mid-4.8-second area. During drills he moved well, bending his knees and easily changing direction. Martin has established himself as a top-75 selection in April's draft.

Sliders

Devon Still, Penn State:
Still struggled throughout his entire workout. His 5.05-second 40 time paled when compared to many of the top defensive tackles at the combine. Still looked stiff in drills and struggled with his balance throughout the session.

Vinny Curry, Marshall:
Curry, one of the best pass rushers in the nation the past two years, struggled to run faster than 5.0 seconds in the 40.

Derrick Shelby, Utah:
Shelby is another solid college pass rusher who teams were considering as a multi-purpose defensive end/outside linebacker. His 4.95-second 40 time will raise red flags.

* The linebackers who took the field Monday afternoon at Lucas Oil Stadium were incredibly athletic and impressed NFL decision-makers with their speed. Many came across as three-down defenders, which will please NFL coaches even more. Not everyone impressed equally, however. Here's a look at the risers and sliders.

Risers

Mychal Kendricks, California:
Melvin Ingram's workout with the defensive linemen was one for the ages, and Kendricks' showing with the linebackers wasn't far behind. The Pac-12 defensive player of the year led the linebackers in almost every testing category: His 40 time of 4.45 seconds was the fastest, his vertical jump of 39.5 inches the highest and broad jump of 10-feet, 7-inches the longest. Kendricks carried his momentum through the drill session, looking quick and explosive in every task. Kendricks' sub-6-foot height means he won't be a player for everyone, but a creative defensive coordinator will turn him into a productive pro.

Luke Kuechly, Boston College:
Questions about Kuechly's speed and athleticism preceded the combine. He answered his critics in dynamic fashion, running both of his 40s in the mid 4.5-second range. His vertical jump of 38-inches and broad jump of 10-feet, 3-inches graded among the better marks from today's linebackers. He was smooth opening his hips in coverage drills and was able to get great depth on pass drops. Kuechly did not display a smooth change of direction and some will question his pursuit skills, but on the whole it was a great performance by the Boston College junior.

Najee Goode, West Virginia:
Goode also surpassed expectations. He clocked below 4.7 seconds in the 40, looked fluid during drills, easily changed direction and lost no momentum when required to immediately alter his angle of attack. He was quick-footed in reverse and covered a lot of area. Considered a free-agent prospect entering the season, Goode has moved into the middle rounds of the draft.

Shea McClellin, Boise State:
McClellin worked out with the defensive linemen, but looked every part linebacker at the combine. His 40 times registered as fast as 4.65 seconds and McClellin practiced at that speed during drills. He displayed terrific balance and rhythm during defensive line drills; when used in coverage at linebacker, he looked quick-footed and capable of going sideline-to-sideline. The former college defensive end had a lot to gain from his workout and some teams feel he did enough to move into the top half of Round 2.

Ronnell Lewis, Oklahoma:
Lewis also took part in the defensive line workout, but stood out during linebacker drills. He tested well, running below 4.7 seconds in the 40 and completing 36 reps on the bench. He worked hard in the drill session, easily moving about the field and displaying the ability to immediately change direction. He also showed tremendous hand punch in bag drills.

Demario Davis, Arkansas State:
Davis looked like the complete package, testing well and appearing very athletic during position drills. He timed 4.58 in the 40, touched 38.5 inches in the vertical jump, 10-feet, four-inches in the broad jump and completed 32 reps on the bench. Later in the workout Davis showed good speed and quickness moving in every direction as well as solid ball skills in coverage drills. He's a bit of an unknown outside the scouting world, but don't be surprised if Davis pops into the late part of Round 3.

Bruce Irvin, West Virginia:
Irvin disappointed scouts as a senior, but got his draft momentum going in the right direction today. The athletic linebacker was fast in the 40, timing below 4.5 seconds in both runs. He looked quick in all the drills and displayed solid movement skills with the ability to cover a great deal of area on the field.

James-Michael Johnson, Nevada:
Johnson turned in a complete workout today and was effective on all fronts. He started with 40 times in the mid 4.6-second range. His marks of 37 inches in the vertical jump and 10-feet, 4-inches in the broad jump were also impressive. During drills Johnson looked every bit as athletic as his testing numbers indicate and moved swiftly across the field. He appears to be a complete linebacker who can defend the run or pass in the NFL.

Zach Brown, North Carolina:
Brown was quick in the 40, timing as fast as 4.45 seconds on a number of watches after tipping the scales at 244 pounds. He flashed ability during drills, but seemed stiff and off balance at times. Despite that, the size/speed ratio and his game film make Brown a Top 25 choice.

Ryan Baker, LSU:
It's tough to claim a linebacker who struggled to run 4.85 seconds in the 40 improved his draft grade, but that's what Baker did. Forty aside, he looked athletic and efficient in drills and was often applauded by coaches on the field.

Sliders

Vontaze Burfict, Arizona State:
The downward spiral continues for Burfict. He did not break 5 seconds in the 40, posted some of the worst vertical and broad jumps from the linebacker group and did not participate in position drills. Entering the season Burfict was considered a top 10 talent, but he's since fallen into the last day of the draft.

Brandon Lindsay, Pittsburgh:
Lindsay is another player who's watching his draft grade plummet. His 40 time of 4.90 seconds was slow even for the defensive line group with which he worked. Lindsay looked somewhat effective in drills, but he may be a player without an NFL position.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1nyMSk9p2

Last edited by J-Mike88 : 03-02-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:49 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Whitney Mercilus and Nick Perry but I doubt either would be available when we pick.

If we stay put I'd like a guy like Brandon Brooks. Big, strong, athletic, and could really help out our offensive line. I like Lang but he didn't really solidify himself as the unquestioned future starter last season. And if Wells does leave maybe we could try Lang at center.

We have alot of options available to us IMO. Obviously we'd love to get another pass rusher but we could also go a variety of directions including CB, DL, OL, and RB.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:27 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvv84 View Post
I like Whitney Mercilus and Nick Perry but I doubt either would be available when we pick.

If we stay put I'd like a guy like Brandon Brooks. Big, strong, athletic, and could really help out our offensive line. I like Lang but he didn't really solidify himself as the unquestioned future starter last season. And if Wells does leave maybe we could try Lang at center.

We have alot of options available to us IMO. Obviously we'd love to get another pass rusher but we could also go a variety of directions including CB, DL, OL, and RB.
Yeah i wouldnt hate going offensive line although i wouldnt like it. Our last two first round picks were offensive lineman so i think we should look there in the later rounds for depth.

RIP themaninblack
Old 03-04-2012, 09:23 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Bruce Irvin, West Virginia:
Irvin disappointed scouts as a senior, but got his draft momentum going in the right direction today. The athletic linebacker was fast in the 40, timing below 4.5 seconds in both runs. He looked quick in all the drills and displayed solid movement skills with the ability to cover a great deal of area on the field.

I will be 100% happy as hell if this is our pick at #28.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:04 AM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I encourage you all to check out my latest 4 round mock draft :)

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51453

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
BK sig is straight sex
THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Miller is visual sex on the field.
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:24 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloopy View Post
I encourage you all to check out my latest 4 round mock draft :)

28. Green Bay Packers – Fletcher Cox DL Mississippi State: The Pack land an impact DL and a player at a position of need. Coxwill play DE in there odd front and by all accounts should be a monster.

28. Green Bay Packers – Ronnell Lewis OLB/DE Oklahoma: The Pack needs to add another pass rusher opposite Clay.

28. Green Bay Packers – Phillip Blake C Baylor: Not there next highest need (probably safety) but Wells is 30 and isn’t overwhelming at center.
31. New England Patriots – Shea McClellin DE/OLB Boise State

28. Green Bay Packers – Dwight Bentley CB Louisiana-Lafayette: Adds CB depth and is a pretty good value here.
I would love those first 3 picks.
But I see no way that the big Cox will be there are #28.
Not a big fan of Ronnell Lewis, but that would be a good value there. Still, I bet Shea McLellin ends up better than Lewis. Remember 09 when a lot of guys wanted the marquee athletic OLBs... yet Clay turned out better than all of the bruthas? It surprised me. This time I expect Shea to go higher and to become a good one in the NFL.

Love the Bentley.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:44 AM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I would love those first 3 picks.
But I see no way that the big Cox will be there are #28.
Not a big fan of Ronnell Lewis, but that would be a good value there. Still, I bet Shea McLellin ends up better than Lewis. Remember 09 when a lot of guys wanted the marquee athletic OLBs... yet Clay turned out better than all of the bruthas? It surprised me. This time I expect Shea to go higher and to become a good one in the NFL.

Love the Bentley.
I don't think NFL evaluaters will be as high on Cox as some of us are.

I personally like McLellin a lot and agree with your analysis of who will turn out better, but I think he will be more of a third rounder who overachieves his selection.

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
BK sig is straight sex
THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Miller is visual sex on the field.
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:48 AM    (permalink
Coombser
Rookie

Coombser is a cocksman.Coombser is a cocksman.Coombser is a cocksman.Coombser is a cocksman.Coombser is a cocksman.

I've just come across Kyle Wilber as an OLB prospect - not the greatest pass-rusher but I do love his skill-set, the fact he played in a 3-4 and he looks good in coverage too...he's someone I'd love to get in the middle rounds...

Last edited by Coombser : 03-09-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Coombser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:08 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

I think OG/C might be creeping up the needs list. Everyone knows the Wells situation, but I just became aware that Lang's contract actually expires after this season. Lang's a solid player but seems like another guy that Thompson would let test the market.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:11 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I think OG/C might be creeping up the needs list. Everyone knows the Wells situation, but I just became aware that Lang's contract actually expires after this season. Lang's a solid player but seems like another guy that Thompson would let test the market.
Peter Konz, Cordy Glenn and Kevin Zeitler will all be going around the time we're picking. Personally i wouldnt like us to go offensive line for the third year in a row but if it has to be done i wont moan.

If worst comes to worst we can move Lang to centre, Newhouse to guard and have Sherrod at LT.

or

Bulaga at guard, Lang at centre and Sherrod and Newhouse at tackle.

RIP themaninblack
Old 03-09-2012, 03:37 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
Peter Konz, Cordy Glenn and Kevin Zeitler will all be going around the time we're picking. Personally i wouldnt like us to go offensive line for the third year in a row but if it has to be done i wont moan.

If worst comes to worst we can move Lang to centre, Newhouse to guard and have Sherrod at LT.

or

Bulaga at guard, Lang at centre and Sherrod and Newhouse at tackle.
There's alot of talk of scouts seeing Konz as a potential guard given his arm length, personally I think he'll be a wonderful center, and if we could get our hands on him then awesome. When it comes to the offensive line you want as little turnover as possible. Bulaga and Sitton on the right side is a dynamite combination and we need to leave that alone. Lang isn't anything special but he'll be our left guard, at least for next year, and that leaves big question marks at center and left tackle. I am still holding out hope that Wells is gonna be back but if he isn't then I am concerned big time with how well the offense will function, especially early on, because it's so difficult to replace the quarterback of the offensive line and someone the caliber of Wells. With Sherrod's injury I don't see him being physically able to give a big contribution next year (now I'm no doctor but his injury was so unfortunate and brutal) and I think that means we'll see Newhouse as the left tackle for quite a bit of the season, maybe the whole thing.