Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

Old 03-27-2012, 12:07 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmG6376 View Post
Saw that one over in the Mocks forum. Definitely outside the box with McClellin in the first going before Branch, but if Thompson likes a guy he will take him earlier than some might expect.

EDIT: If this was the case who do you see them targeting in round 2?

I'd like Wolfe or Trumaine
I would love to see Wolfe be a target for us in the 2nd round. Johnson is kind of a question mark as to where he'll fit in the NFL (alot of people see him as a safety) and if we view him as a corner then I think there's zero chance we take him because the team loves what they see from Davon House. The second round is where we could see someone like Mike Brewster come off the board if the Packers see him as a developmental center otherwise it's tough to say. I wouldn't completely eliminate guard as a possibility either early on, whether it's 2nd or 3rd round, because we don't know if the team plans on giving TJ Lang a long term contract and it doesn't seem like Sherrod is a fit at LG if he gets healthy enough to play.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:09 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
I would love to see Wolfe be a target for us in the 2nd round. Johnson is kind of a question mark as to where he'll fit in the NFL (alot of people see him as a safety) and if we view him as a corner then I think there's zero chance we take him because the team loves what they see from Davon House. The second round is where we could see someone like Mike Brewster come off the board if the Packers see him as a developmental center otherwise it's tough to say. I wouldn't completely eliminate guard as a possibility either early on, whether it's 2nd or 3rd round, because we don't know if the team plans on giving TJ Lang a long term contract and it doesn't seem like Sherrod is a fit at LG if he gets healthy enough to play.
We could use Johnson as both a corner and safety. Kill two birds with one stone!

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:18 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
We could use Johnson as both a corner and safety. Kill two birds with one stone!
I don't see him as someone with the fluidity in his hips to play corner and he's more of a free safety type. If the news doesn't come back positively on Nick Collins and we need to address safety then Johnson will certainly become a realistic option but he's not a player who will provide us much at the corner position (at least that's my opinion). I think there's the possibility we bring in a corner late in the draft but we will not invest an early pick on one with having Woodson, Williams, Shields, and House as capable options in the coaches' eyes; we still have Bush too as painful as it is.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:29 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah I'm thinking of Johnson as a FS. A small school CB who they can convert like they did with Collins. Ideally Collins is 100% and Johnson could learn from him. I think even if Collins gets clearance though, they would be wise to address the position relatively early.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:41 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Yeah I'm thinking of Johnson as a FS. A small school CB who they can convert like they did with Collins. Ideally Collins is 100% and Johnson could learn from him. I think even if Collins gets clearance though, they would be wise to address the position relatively early.
Safety is such an odd position for the Packers right now. We have Burnett and Peprah as experienced players back there and Nick Collins would give us three comfortable options back there, with Peprah becoming a free agent after this next season. That does force us to look at the position and if there is no Collins then it could easily be our first round target, and Harrison Smith would be the perfect guy to bring in. Winston Guy is a later round option that I really like.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:13 AM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well MM just said that he expects there to be more competition for the Defensive spots this year. I would fully expect TT to draft defense heavy and maybe draft a couple OL.

Mock draft w/trades:

Packers trade 1st round pick (#28) for Dolphins 2nd Round(#42) and 3rd Round (#73). Packers then trade 3rd round pick (#73) and 4th Round Pick (#123) for Bengals 2nd round Pick (#53).

2nd Round (#42) - Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise St. - The guy is growing on me; albeit, his strength is a major minus right now. However, I figure he can develop his strength and keep his quickness. Between he, Mercilus, Curry, Irvin, Chandler Jones, and Andre Branch, I feel they all are about the same prospects; they all have different skill sets, but at the end of the day, they are overall very similar players.

2nd (#53) - Lamar Miller, RB, Miami - Behind Trent Richardson, I feel he is the next best back, to get him here would be a steal. I know you guys aren't fans of drafting RB's early, but this is value, and Miller is an immediate home run threat.

2nd Round - Overall Pick # 59 - Jamell Fleming, CB, Oklahoma - He has just enough height for TT to draft him, and he is a decent playmaker. He is also physical

3rd Round - Overall Pick # 90 - Mike Brewster, C, OSU - Developmental center, could use a year of getting at it in weight room and also learning behind Saturday.

4th Round - Overall Pick # 132 - Derek Wolfe, DE, Cincy - Underrated by almost every scouting website I have looked at. I almost selected him in the 3rd, but based on looking at different websites, I feel his is a solid 4th round pick.

4th Round - Overall Pick # 133 - Olivier Vernon, OLB, Miami - He will be a 3-4 OLB, and I think he could end up being a good one. I know we have tons of guys already, but most of them are average to below average. We also need a true backup to Clay.

5th Round - Overall Pick # 163 - Andrew Datko, OT, FSU - Was pretty much hurt, but could be a late draft steal as he has plenty of ability.

6th Round - Overall Pick # 197 - Jordan Bernstine, S, Iowa - This guy is a serious freak of nature athlete, was never able to stay healthy when he played corner earlier in his career.

7th Round - Overall Pick # 224 - Noah Keller, ILB, Ohio - Had a great Pro-day and was a leader for the Bobcats.

7th Round - Overall Pick # 235 - Markus Kuhn, DE/NT, NC State - He is underrated in my opinion. We draft another Kuhn just to confuse the fans.

7th Round - Overall Pick # 241 - Adam Gettis, G, Iowa - He probably goes earlier than this, but you never know. He is an athlete that also developed as a solid OL.

7th Round - Overall Pick # 243 - Jeremy Lane, CB, Northwesten State - An athlete that adds a body to our roster.
bigboiajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:25 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Good effort on the mock. If we end up with McClellin, Brewster and Wolfe I would be absolutely thrilled. When it comes to drafting a running back, I just don't see us investing another high pick in the position (after drafting Green last year) with how little we look to run the football. A later round pick at the position would be fine and make more sense, and I'm not dismissing Miller's abilities bc he is a very intriguing prospect but I don't think investing more into the position is a wise choice for the team.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:45 AM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am just thinking Miller is the kind of guy that makes defense coordinators lose sleep at night. He can catch, he can blaze, and if needed he has the size to run you over. I mean, we have Starks who can pound the ball when healthy, we have Green who tore his ACL but looked good when he was in games, we have Saine who looks to be a solid 3rd down pass protector kind of a player. We don't really have that home run threat. No RB on our team, when it is 3rd down and 5 and you have an LB covering our RB, scares opposing defenses. (In the passing game that is.)
Old 03-28-2012, 10:57 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Miller is a decent player, but do we need him? No is the answer. We already have three young running backs so drafting another one would just push one of those promising backs out of the picture.

RIP themaninblack
Old 03-28-2012, 11:09 AM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

Well, I look at the Saints, who had by far the top offense, they have Chris Ivory, Pierre Thomas, Mark Ingram, and Darron Sproles. In Ivory, Ingram, and Thomas we have Starks, Green, and Saine. We have no Darren Sproles/Reggie Bush style player. That is all I am thinking we need. I mean maybe a guy like LaMichael James is more like it, but I figured TT would like the size/speed of Miller over the speed of James.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:22 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboiajhawk View Post
Well, I look at the Saints, who had by far the top offense, they have Chris Ivory, Pierre Thomas, Mark Ingram, and Darron Sproles. In Ivory, Ingram, and Thomas we have Starks, Green, and Saine. We have no Darren Sproles/Reggie Bush style player. That is all I am thinking we need. I mean maybe a guy like LaMichael James is more like it, but I figured TT would like the size/speed of Miller over the speed of James.
Wait...what?

RIP themaninblack
Old 03-28-2012, 11:51 AM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

Go to nfl.com and find out the answers you are looking for. You will clearly see the Saints had the #1 Passing Offense and #6 Rushing Offense.

You can be a homer all you want. I am very much so a homer, but when a team per game, averages 60+ more yards than you, they are probably the better offense. Now, you can factor in turnovers, in which case the Packers are by far the victor there, but based on overall yardage, and the lack of a running game in the Packers case, I am fairly certain most people outside of Packer fans would say the Saints had quite a year last year.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:09 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

As nice as it would be to have a back with home run potential, our offense is built around backs who know how to block in pass protection and can get us 3 to 4 yards a carry...much like New England

Old 03-28-2012, 01:55 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Go to nfl.com and find out the answers you are looking for. You will clearly see the Saints had the #1 Passing Offense and #6 Rushing Offense.

You can be a homer all you want. I am very much so a homer, but when a team per game, averages 60+ more yards than you, they are probably the better offense. Now, you can factor in turnovers, in which case the Packers are by far the victor there, but based on overall yardage, and the lack of a running game in the Packers case, I am fairly certain most people outside of Packer fans would say the Saints had quite a year last year.
Yeah because yards win games...

Points win games, look at who's first in points per game. I dont know how anyone could justify saying the Saints offense is FAR better than the Packers.

RIP themaninblack
Old 03-28-2012, 02:06 PM    (permalink
Pack_Attack_4
Rookie

Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.

i like the miller pick it would give us a home run threat at rb. but i dont think our offence really needs it, more holes on def and i hope we use our first couple picks on D.
Pack_Attack_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:44 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd be rather surprised if the Packers don't take a QB at some point in the draft.

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:50 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
I'd be rather surprised if the Packers don't take a QB at some point in the draft.
I'd like Russell Wilson but i'll think he'll go earlier than what we'd be looking at.

RIP themaninblack
Old 03-28-2012, 02:51 PM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
Yeah because yards win games...

Points win games, look at who's first in points per game. I dont know how anyone could justify saying the Saints offense is FAR better than the Packers.
A whopping 13 total points mind you.... I am done with this....Take out "by far" and you have the Saints had a better offense than the Packers last season. Then, looking at the real point I was trying to make.... They have had guys at the RB spot in Reggie Bush and Darren Sproles that absolutely make defending that offense a nightmare. Which is why I made the suggestion to draft a home run type threat RB.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:55 PM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, I agree, complete oversight on my part in my mock draft. I would think that TT would look in Rounds 4-7 for that QB.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:57 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
A whopping 13 total points mind you.... I am done with this....Take out "by far" and you have the Saints had a better offense than the Packers last season. Then, looking at the real point I was trying to make.... They have had guys at the RB spot in Reggie Bush and Darren Sproles that absolutely make defending that offense a nightmare. Which is why I made the suggestion to draft a home run type threat RB.
Im not saying its not close. But if there was 2 minutes on the clock, down by 4, would you take Packers or Saints? Packers IMO.

RIP themaninblack
Old 03-28-2012, 03:06 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes, I agree, complete oversight on my part in my mock draft. I would think that TT would look in Rounds 4-7 for that QB.
Right, and my guess is that they won't wait until the very end to get one. Looking at 2008, while there were more questions marks at quarterback, Thompson spent a 2nd and 7th on backups. I would predict that one of those three fourth round picks ends up being a QB (and I hope it ends up being Wilson).

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:47 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Right, and my guess is that they won't wait until the very end to get one. Looking at 2008, while there were more questions marks at quarterback, Thompson spent a 2nd and 7th on backups. I would predict that one of those three fourth round picks ends up being a QB (and I hope it ends up being Wilson).
I am a fan of bringing in Wilson as well...smart, hard working guy with all the necessary physical tools, outside of height, to be a quality signal caller, especially as a backup...Ryan Lindley and Austin Davis are two names that could spark the interest of our staff

Old 03-29-2012, 08:14 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

On another site here's how a five round mock turned out for the Packers...

Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina
Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise State
Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska
Ronnie Hillman, RB, San Diego State
Tony Bergstrom, OL, Utah
Brandon Taylor, S, LSU
BJ Coleman, QB, UT-Chattanooga

Certainly wouldn't be the worst outcome for us

Old 03-29-2012, 08:30 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That would be solid. I like Gilmore as a Woodson understudy. Similar size and skillset. If they felt Crick was recovered enough from his injury, I guess I'd be Ok with it but I'd prefer not to take a guy who missed most of his senior season.

Don't know anything about Bergstrom, but Taylor and Coleman seem like excellent values.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:40 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
That would be solid. I like Gilmore as a Woodson understudy. Similar size and skillset. If they felt Crick was recovered enough from his injury, I guess I'd be Ok with it but I'd prefer not to take a guy who missed most of his senior season.

Don't know anything about Bergstrom, but Taylor and Coleman seem like excellent values.
Bergstrom has tons of experience at right tackle and finished 1st team All-Pac 12 this past season, but the big problem with him is that he's going to be 26 soon.