Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

Old 02-09-2012, 01:13 PM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerLegend View Post
I hope to hell we draft an olb and de in the first couple rounds. This is TT though and he has shown before he won't go in the direction which everyone tends to think we really need. That scares the hell outta me.
See, I wouldn't care too much if the Packers drafted a TE or RB, WR on the other hand, yes, I would care.

I mean we have many question marks at RB, and there is some uncertainty at TE. I really hope we sign J-Mike, but you can never be certain that we will.

If TT drafts Lamar Miller, David Wilson, Dwyane Allen, Coby Fleener, or Orson Charles in either the 1st or 2nd round, I don't know if I would necessarily be upset. For example, if a guy like Nick Perry is still on the board and we select one of those guys, then I will be upset. But if we are "reaching" for a guy like Curry (just not as big of a fan of his), and we select one of those guys, then I really don't care.

Granted, I don't think TT will draft a RB or TE early, unless he truly thinks that the player he is selecting is way better than the BPA for a need position.

I mean, TT has said that if players are pretty equal in terms of skill, he will select the player where the need for him is greater.
bigboiajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:26 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah there are questions at RB, but look at the guys on the roster:

Grant - undrafted; acquired for future 6th
Starks - drafted in 6th
Saine - undrafted
Green - drafted 3rd
Kuhn - undrafted

I think it is safe to say TT doesn't put a premium on the RB position.

WR would just be silly. There aren't enough roster spots as it is. They are basically paying Gurley as if he were on the roster just so no one would sign him off the PS.

TE is a wildcard since no one really knows how McCarthy and TT really feel about Finely's future. I don't see how they don't at least franchise him though.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:31 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmG6376 View Post

Starks - drafted in 6th
Saine - undrafted
Green - drafted 3rd
Kuhn - undrafted

WR would just be silly. There aren't enough roster spots as it is. They are basically paying Gurley as if he were on the roster just so no one would sign him off the PS.

TE is a wildcard since no one really knows how McCarthy and TT really feel about Finely's future. I don't see how they don't at least franchise him though.
With as little as we feature the running back position in our offense it's the perfect approach by Thompson & Co. to bring in later round guys to compete for the position(s). We won't be taking a receiver until later, if at all, bc we clearly have a handful of guys who we know can get the job done at a high level. The TE position isn't featured much in our offense either (I feel it's more about guys filling a specific niche within the offense) so investing a high pick or even a ton of money (like giving Finley a long term deal) would be a mistake and I don't see it as a direction the team would go.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:50 PM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Starks - drafted in 6th
Saine - undrafted
Green - drafted 3rd
Kuhn - undrafted

He did draft Shaun Alexander in the first round, so there is a chance;)!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 06:33 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboiajhawk View Post
He did draft Shaun Alexander in the first round, so there is a chance;)!!!
1) Technically Holmgren was the GM
2) That was back when RBs still mattered
3) Jon Kitna was the starting QB

;)
Old 02-09-2012, 06:59 PM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

Quote:
1) Technically Holmgren was the GM
2) That was back when RBs still mattered
3) Jon Kitna was the starting QB

;)
Okay, you win on a technicality!!

I do agree that we shouldn't take a RB or TE early, but I will not be upset if TT goes off the deep end and drafts one of the RBs or TEs in the draft as our first pick, as I could easily see a couple of the guys at either of those positions as the BPA available at the time when we pick.

But here is to hoping that Ryan Tannehill is selected in the first round before we pick, it just means one more player has the opportunity to fall to us.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:06 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

Yeah the more guys like Tannehill that are pushed up into the first round due to positional significance the better. Means a richer talent pool will be available late.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:00 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

OLB's/DE's

2009 DRAFT
#4- Aaron Curry (we could have traded for him this year, a 4th rounder, and gotten him)
#11- Aaron Maybin (was released prior to last season already.. nobody had Matthews rated higher except Teddy)
#13- Brian Orakpo (DE-OLB)
#15- Brian Cushing
#16- Larry English
#18- Robert Ayers
#26- Clay Matthews

2010 DRAFT
#8- Rolando McLain
#13- Brandon Graham
#15- Jason Pierre-Paul

The point of all of this is, just because the kid from Alabama and South Carolina (ooooh, the SEC), or Perry from USC are going to go first, doesn't mean that Vinny Curry from Marshall, later to us perhaps, isn't going to be the actual best NFL pass-rusher.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:15 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
OLB's/DE's

2009 DRAFT
#4- Aaron Curry (we could have traded for him this year, a 4th rounder, and gotten him)
#11- Aaron Maybin (was released prior to last season already.. nobody had Matthews rated higher except Teddy)
#13- Brian Orakpo (DE-OLB)
#15- Brian Cushing
#16- Larry English
#18- Robert Ayers
#26- Clay Matthews

2010 DRAFT
#8- Rolando McLain
#13- Brandon Graham
#15- Jason Pierre-Paul

The point of all of this is, just because the kid from Alabama and South Carolina (ooooh, the SEC), or Perry from USC are going to go first, doesn't mean that Vinny Curry from Marshall, later to us perhaps, isn't going to be the actual best NFL pass-rusher.
You could say that about every draft prospect. "He could be better than him" yeah course he could but in the end you take the player you think will be best.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:48 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
You could say that about every draft prospect. "He could be better than him" yeah course he could but in the end you take the player you think will be best.
Obviously. The point here is that there are some fans who think since 2, 3, 4 OLB prospects are gonna go before our pick, that since we can't get "the best" ones, that it's better to take the DE or whatever and wait for the OLB later.

Just because teams A, B, C might take an OLB before us doesn't mean Teddy's #1 or #2 OLB won't still be there.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:28 PM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

Here is my obscure mock draft.

Give me a guy like Fletcher Cox in Round 1 (Assuming Nick Perry or Whitney Mercilus isn't there)

In Round 2, give me Orson Charles

In Round 3, give me Olivier Vernon at OLB

We have improved our DL, protected our TE position, and improved our OLB depth. I really want the Packers to draft athletes, and each of these guys is an athlete. I personally think Vernon could be a player. He is really strong and is pretty fast. I also like not drafting an OLB round 1 because now we can still have a fair competition rather than just giving the spot to a 1st rounder. I also really want to see what Vic So'oto can do.

I really would like the Packers offense to keep stepping on the gas pedal. I can only imagine the nightmares teams would have if they had to cover both J-Mike and Charles on top of Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Cobb, possibly Driver, and possibly Gurley.

I don't know if it is just me, but I really would like to see Orson Charles in a Packers uniform, he is a jacked up version of J-Mike.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:24 PM    (permalink
cuzifelt1ikeit
Veteran

cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboiajhawk View Post
See, I wouldn't care too much if the Packers drafted a TE or RB, WR on the other hand, yes, I would care.

I mean we have many question marks at RB, and there is some uncertainty at TE. I really hope we sign J-Mike, but you can never be certain that we will.

If TT drafts Lamar Miller, David Wilson, Dwyane Allen, Coby Fleener, or Orson Charles in either the 1st or 2nd round, I don't know if I would necessarily be upset. For example, if a guy like Nick Perry is still on the board and we select one of those guys, then I will be upset. But if we are "reaching" for a guy like Curry (just not as big of a fan of his), and we select one of those guys, then I really don't care.

Granted, I don't think TT will draft a RB or TE early, unless he truly thinks that the player he is selecting is way better than the BPA for a need position.

I mean, TT has said that if players are pretty equal in terms of skill, he will select the player where the need for him is greater.
if we draft a running back in the first or second round id really like it to be chris polk from washington over lamar miller. hes kind of a sleeper i feel like and he is being over looked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigNall4MVP
biigest mistake packers ever make was geting rid of craig nall he beter then bret faver
cuzifelt1ikeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:55 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzifelt1ikeit View Post
if we draft a running back in the first or second round id really like it to be chris polk from washington over lamar miller. hes kind of a sleeper i feel like and he is being over looked.
But Chris Polk doesnt add much. Hes basically James Starks.

If we do draft a running back i'd prefer it to be a faster guy a bit like Sproles. Maybe David Wilson would be of interest to us.

RIP themaninblack
Old 02-14-2012, 03:55 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

Meh...Polk just seems like more of the same. If a running back is taken he should be a home run threat. Polk seems like a better fit with a more run-oriented team. He'll consistently get you yards if given enough carries, but not really a threat to take it the distance.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:14 PM    (permalink
CheeseKnuckles
Rookie

CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Andre Branch OLB, Clemson. 6'4 260

Anyone have any opinions on this guy? I've been reading 2nd round talent, but will show well at the combine and possibly increase his draft stock? From what I have read he seems like he would be a good addition at ROLB opposite CM3. So far what I have gotten is fast, great closing speed, and relentless motor. Any other input would be greatly appreciated!
CheeseKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:40 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

I love Andre.
Tweeted with Ty Dunne last night and he said the couple scouts he just talked to both think that Branch is best suited to play OLB in a 34.

He's bigger & stronger than Clay is, which I think is a perfect compliment.

I want Branch now at 28, and Kendall Reyes at 60.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:39 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Anyone in the first two rounds would be an upgrade ROLB.

Bruce Irvin and Jonathan Massaquoi are the two guys im looking at.

RIP themaninblack
Old 02-15-2012, 08:46 AM    (permalink
CheeseKnuckles
Rookie

CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I love Andre.
Tweeted with Ty Dunne last night and he said the couple scouts he just talked to both think that Branch is best suited to play OLB in a 34.

He's bigger & stronger than Clay is, which I think is a perfect compliment.

I want Branch now at 28, and Kendall Reyes at 60.
I have to agree Branch at 28, but Derek Wolfe with our 2nd pick would make me happy.

Another guy that intrigues me is Chandler Jones from Syracuse.
CheeseKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:12 PM    (permalink
schmig10
Rookie

schmig10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Vontaze Burfict?

What does anyone think about Vontaze Burfict going to the packers? I've seen posts that basically say our top 4 needs are OLB, D-Line, CB and Safety. And while I think that's all true, i think our basic problem was lack of pass rush and the goal is to either solve that issue by addressing any position which upgrades our pass rush OR investing a large amount of resources into the secondary and just hope that we can shut teams down despite the fact that the QB has all day to throw.

I realize that ILB isn't necessarily a huge need. However, AJ Hawk wasn't very good this past year and his contract is fairly large. There have been talks about the Packers getting rid of him because of the contract and how close the packers are to the cap. If that happens we could replace him with DJ Smith, but I'd prefer to bring in Burfict.

He would improve the overall pass rush which, again, is the main issue we think the Packers need to solve this offseason. I also think he would fire up our defense and give them a new personality. I know the major knock on him has been in regards to his maturity on the field, but i think that the veterans on our team can help him mature while at the same time be influenced by his enthusiasm.

Our defense needs a personality change and I think he could give that to us. He goes 100% all of the time. It seems like most scouts aren't questioning his ability, it's just his maturity. Scott has him ranked 13th overall and the number 1 ILB. Why would we pass on that at 28?

Thoughts?
schmig10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:17 PM    (permalink
schmig10
Rookie

schmig10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Vontaze Burfict?

What does anyone think about Vontaze Burfict going to the packers? I've seen posts that basically say our top 4 needs are OLB, D-Line, CB and Safety. And while I think that's all true, i think our basic problem was lack of pass rush and the goal is to either solve that issue by addressing any position which upgrades our pass rush OR investing a large amount of resources into the secondary and just hope that we can shut teams down despite the fact that the QB has all day to throw.

I realize that ILB isn't necessarily a huge need. However, AJ Hawk wasn't very good this past year and his contract is fairly large. There have been talks about the Packers getting rid of him because of the contract and how close the packers are to the cap. If that happens we could replace him with DJ Smith, but I'd prefer to bring in Burfict.

He would improve the overall pass rush which, again, is the main issue we think the Packers need to solve this offseason. I also think he would fire up our defense and give them a new personality. I know the major knock on him has been in regards to his maturity on the field, but i think that the veterans on our team can help him mature while at the same time be influenced by his enthusiasm.

Our defense needs a personality change and I think he could give that to us. He goes 100% all of the time. It seems like most scouts aren't questioning his ability, it's just his maturity. Scott has him ranked 13th overall and the number 1 ILB. Why would we pass on that at 28?

Thoughts?
schmig10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:20 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Anyone in the first two rounds would be an upgrade ROLB.

Bruce Irvin and Jonathan Massaquoi are the two guys im looking at.
I heard a lot oabout Massaquio lately and took at a look at a bunch of film of him on youtube, and really am not that impressed with him.

Irvin looks a lot better IMO, but I can't say I've ever watched Troy play closely or focused in on JM other than this film.

I really feel Vinny Curry though.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:33 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmig10 View Post

Thoughts?
We dont need a personality change we just need some pass rushers. Desmond Bishop is the pass rushing ILB so Burfict would bring nothing to the pass rush. Add that to the fact that his play hasn't even warranted being selected in the first two rounds and I wouldn't like us to take him at 28.

RIP themaninblack
Old 02-15-2012, 04:34 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

Quote:
I heard a lot oabout Massaquio lately and took at a look at a bunch of film of him on youtube, and really am not that impressed with him.

Irvin looks a lot better IMO, but I can't say I've ever watched Troy play closely or focused in on JM other than this film.

I really feel Vinny Curry though.
Only thing going against Irvin right now is size. I'm really interested to see what he looks like at the Combine. I believe he played around 245 this season, if he can come in at 250-255 he'll turn some heads.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:53 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Only thing going against Irvin right now is size. I'm really interested to see what he looks like at the Combine. I believe he played around 245 this season, if he can come in at 250-255 he'll turn some heads.
245 would still be fine! Thats what Von Miller was wasnt it. Clay musnt be too much heavier that that either. He just needs to get down the gym and start lifting some weights.

RIP themaninblack
Old 02-15-2012, 05:33 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
245 would still be fine! Thats what Von Miller was wasnt it. Clay musnt be too much heavier that that either. He just needs to get down the gym and start lifting some weights.
Isn't Clay listed at 240?
I thought he looked like 230 last year.