Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 01-09-2012, 08:49 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I want Mathieu in 2013. Not in Round 1, but eventually. He reminds me of a small Charles Woodson.
That's basically what he is, yeah. You have the move him around and find roles for him, but I think he might be able to cut it as a nickel guy or a safety. He tackles very well in spite of his size, although bigger receivers are going to handle him in man.

The other guys I've been really impressed with so far are Micahel Brockers and Mingo, although that was to be expected. Wouldn't mind spending a first round pick on either of those two.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:19 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DeQuan Menzie has been solid.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:41 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
That's basically what he is, yeah. You have the move him around and find roles for him, but I think he might be able to cut it as a nickel guy or a safety. He tackles very well in spite of his size, although bigger receivers are going to handle him in man.

The other guys I've been really impressed with so far are Micahel Brockers and Mingo, although that was to be expected. Wouldn't mind spending a first round pick on either of those two.
I don't like Mathieu in coverage, actually. I think he's a FS in the NFL, even with his size. Can he play in the slot? Sure. But he can be had pretty easily I think. I love me some Honey Badger, but I wouldn't trust him in coverage as of right now. Mingo is really overrated too imo. He can't hold up against the run, overpursuits and gets caught up with the tackle too many times for my likings. He has what it takes physically, but I think he's really overrated as a prospect right now. I actually like Montgomery better at this point I think, but really it's a toss up. Brockers on the other hand is the real star on that DL. I think he has the potential to become a new Seymour at 5-tech, that how highly I think of him. If we could somehow get him for the DL I think we'll be in very good shape going forward.

Quote:
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:03 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hightower was a straight-up beast in that game. Really don't see why he doesn't get talked about with the other ILB prospects. Probably because he's not an underclassman...
Old 01-10-2012, 11:52 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Hightower was a straight-up beast in that game. Really don't see why he doesn't get talked about with the other ILB prospects. Probably because he's not an underclassman...
He was a step slow most of the game. He made a few plays when the game was almost over. I didn't see an NFL linebacker going against a pathetic offense.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:41 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only bad thing about LSU's offense is the QB.

Still trying to figure out why Jarret Lee was benched when he was the reason they were doing so well early in the year.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:17 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

I am a huge fan of Michael Williams as the 3rd, blocking TE.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:01 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Micahel Brockers declares. If we can get him with the Saints pick, I would laugh so hard.

My gut says the Giants will be too interested and the Broncos too.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:02 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There's buzz he could be gone to Carolina at 9 and possible even higher. It would be absolutely fantastic if we landed him...and I would even consider trading up, but I doubt it happens unfortunately :(

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-13-2012, 10:43 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
There's buzz he could be gone to Carolina at 9 and possible even higher. It would be absolutely fantastic if we landed him...and I would even consider trading up, but I doubt it happens unfortunately :(
I'm on that wagon as well. I'd happily package our two first rounders to get him, but Carolina seems to be where he's headed right now. And trading up any higher than that just seems too costly for us to do it. At least now there's a chance that we get Poe, but I still have reservations about him. I have no reservations what so ever about Brockers, he's the real thing imo.

Quote:
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:56 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I was discussing it with ROP a bit, but I really feel like we're going to be targeting a bigger receiver in the draft this year. Maybe not a king sized guy, but someone with some height who can do damage vertically would be a huge get to diversify what we can do as an offense. During his stead as a coordinator here, we picked up Doug Gabriel(who stands at 6'2 215), Jabar Gaffney(6'2 205) Reche Caldwell(6'0 210) and drafted Chad Jackson(6'2 210). During his brief tenure with Denver, he drafted three receivers who we all over 6'0. Two of them (Thomas and Dekcer) were 6'3. He also picked up Gaffney and used him quite a bit. Lloyd is also above 6'0.

So there's clearly a bit of a preference to bigger receivers. The tight ends we have sort of mitigate the need a little bit, but the things they're able to do are still different than the things that those types of guys can.

The free agent wide receiver class is also pretty deep, with some potential good fits there too.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 01-13-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:09 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

I'm all for getting a bigger receiver, but I haven't looked at FAs. Which FA WRs are interesting? There are several bigger receivers I like in the draft, but given our history of "developing" receivers I'm not sure I want BB to waste a draft pick on a receiver.

Quote:
Old 01-13-2012, 01:59 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Brandon Lloyd is almost a lock to come to New England.

For bigger receivers, Dwayne Bowe is a free agent. *~*
Old 01-13-2012, 02:05 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

If Bowe wants to come here for short money, I would be all over that. I just can't imagine that he does.

But Lloyd's large catching radius certainly sounds appealing. Wish we could have gotten a deal done for him earlier in the year.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-14-2012, 11:25 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
If Bowe wants to come here for short money, I would be all over that. I just can't imagine that he does.

But Lloyd's large catching radius certainly sounds appealing. Wish we could have gotten a deal done for him earlier in the year.
Ehh... I'm fine with getting Lloyd at a discount next year without having to compensate another team.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:58 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

We need to go up and get Michael Floyd.

Tom Brady would turn him into Larry Fitzgerald.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:00 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Is Devin McCourty a safety now? How we draft could tell us that. I feel like it's a little early to give up on him, but that was a rough ass year for him at corner. Dumbfounding after how stellar he was as a rookie. But he looks pretty solid in that spot so far.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-15-2012, 12:03 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Is Devin McCourty a safety now? How we draft could tell us that. I feel like it's a little early to give up on him, but that was a rough ass year for him at corner. Dumbfounding after how stellar he was as a rookie. But he looks pretty solid in that spot so far.
1 great year followed by a crap year. I don't think the switch is permanent but as of now his career is a wash.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:11 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
1 great year followed by a crap year. I don't think the switch is permanent but as of now his career is a wash.
I don't even know how it's possible to play at a legitimate All-Pro type level in your first year and then sink as low as he did. It was just odd to watch. But he's well liked here as a guy who works hard and is always in the film room and has gotten a lot of credit as a leader. He looks far more comfortable with the play in front of him this season, and safety has been a pretty good way to utilize that. It will be interesting to watch for sure.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-15-2012, 12:16 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't even know how it's possible to play at a legitimate All-Pro type level in your first year and then sink as low as he did. It was just odd to watch. But he's well liked here as a guy who works hard and is always in the film room and has gotten a lot of credit as a leader. He looks far more comfortable with the play in front of him this season, and safety has been a pretty good way to utilize that. It will be interesting to watch for sure.
That's what I'm most shocked about. I actually never thought McCourty would be as good as he was last year and always thought he profiled at best as a #2 CB. I figured though that with his hard work and being a Rutgers guy that he would fight until the end and make the most of himself which he clearly did last year. He's not one to rest on his laurels though so I was shocked he fell off the as much as he did. I know it's not for a lack of effort on his part which is why I can't believe he was that bad. I think it might have been more a product of just being in bad defensive situations and he'll certainly bounce back next year.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:12 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
Our safeties are paper thin. He's played corner mostly. I think he's just playing safety because of fatigue late in games.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:15 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Our safeties are paper thin. He's played corner mostly. I think he's just playing safety because of fatigue late in games.
He's played there when games were still alive too. I saw him playing there from the first quarter onward in passing situations.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-15-2012, 09:30 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think McCourty has picked up his game towards the end of the season. I agree that his bad early play combined with our terrible S's is the reason he's back there.
Like you said though, the way we draft will sure to clarify what BB's plans for him are.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:22 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I think it's an interesting situation and one that kind of makes it tricky draft wise. I think we probably have to draft a safety, between Ihediblo and Chung being injured all that time....but if we're moving McCourty, we might need a corner too, as much as we would all dislike that. Sterling Moore has come on and has been very serviceable towards the end of the year and Molden has done some nice things too, particularly on the deep ball. I wish we would have mixed him in at safety too, because he really looks like he could do it.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-15-2012, 11:30 AM    (permalink
Vaylor
Rookie

Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think it's an interesting situation and one that kind of makes it tricky draft wise. I think we probably have to draft a safety, between Ihediblo and Chung being injured all that time....but if we're moving McCourty, we might need a corner too, as much as we would all dislike that. Sterling Moore has come on and has been very serviceable towards the end of the year and Molden has done some nice things too, particularly on the deep ball. I wish we would have mixed him in at safety too, because he really looks like he could do it.
I think it would be better to simply draft a Safety, or a CB who can convert to FS, and go with the McCourty-Dowling-Moore-Arrington at CB. Wouldn't mind taking a CB in the 3rd-4th round range to add depth.
Vaylor is offline   Reply With Quote